Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

I broke the diff. People telling me to weld a nut onto the broken stud and take it out and replace it, but a dude an hour north of me has a replacement diff from a 1980 for $20, so 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's not a diff please don't make me pull my hair out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
What do they call it where you’re from??

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Bevel gear

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spool, pinion, bevel drive, basically anything besides a diff, which it unequivocally is not, because diffs apportion torque between two wheels and that ain't no sidecar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

we need hoverbikes now more than ever.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We need someone to edit that flying through the Endor forest.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

because diffs apportion torque between two wheels and that ain't no sidecar.

Did anyone tell Chrysler? :rimshot:

(Fair enough)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a “final drive”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aaah but if a chain and sprockets altogether are final drive, wouldn't you need to include the drive shaft and we the output gearing at the gearbox if any? The bevel head is just part of the final drive :smugdog:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It shall henceforth be named in the least confusing manner possible. The German manner.

Kegelradgetriebe

Or to be precise about what OP broke on his

Kegelradgetriebegehäuseschraube

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

German nouns are like block chain, aren't they

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
That shaft drive picture reminds me, one of the bike mags I read has a section on peoples' high-mileage bikes (100000+ km), and they went into their data to decide what would theoretically be the best bike to rack up the miles - not just reliability wise but also comfort. The criteria were:

-Faired
-V-twin engine (apparently they feel the lower revs of a v-twin are better than the smooth running of an i4)
-Shaft drive
-Honda

I could think of one such bike (Deauville), but my guess was off. The ideal bike to rack up the miles is the PC800.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
How many farkles will it fit?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VT500 Ascot or bust

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

German nouns are like block chain, aren't they

Better! There's no waiting for verification.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

High Protein posted:

That shaft drive picture reminds me, one of the bike mags I read has a section on peoples' high-mileage bikes (100000+ km), and they went into their data to decide what would theoretically be the best bike to rack up the miles - not just reliability wise but also comfort. The criteria were:

-Faired
-V-twin engine (apparently they feel the lower revs of a v-twin are better than the smooth running of an i4)
-Shaft drive
-Honda

I could think of one such bike (Deauville), but my guess was off. The ideal bike to rack up the miles is the PC800.

I looked this up and struggle to understand how it's not just an older fatter Deauville, between the integrated luggage and 3-valve-per-cylinder 45' V-twin.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

I looked this up and struggle to understand how it's not just an older fatter Deauville, between the integrated luggage and 3-valve-per-cylinder 45' V-twin.

The PC800 is a gorgeous and majestic motorcycle and I'll kindly ask you to watch your loving mouth.

I've wanted a PC800 since I first saw them, and found they had an actual trunk. Only recently did I find they were vtwin, and now I want one even more.

Just look at this dash. Look at the skidoo like plastic covered handlebars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzRp1Qu_5ak (This video was also filmed not far from where I live. Which was a shock.)

As if all that wasn't enough, it's shaft drive with a hydraulic clutch.

Did I mention it had a trunk? Per the wiki:

"Trunk
Unlike other motorcycles that offer detachable side or top cases for storage, the PC800 has an integral waterproof trunk under the pillion (passenger seat). The passenger seat is attached to a single trunk lid that hinges upward to reveal two storage areas that straddle the rear wheel — with sufficient capacity to carry "two full-face helmets and two medium-sized gym bags",[4] or "two grocery bags", or "four plastic bags full of groceries, along with a small bag of dog food."[4] The trunk lid is held up by a hydraulic strut and is controlled by a release mechanism under the lockable fuel filler door."

At first glance, it's just a beautiful motorcycle. But surprise there is actual storage for your gear when you go places, or your groceries. It's a motorcycle for people who want to ride all the time. I'm a sucker for moto storage because I want to minimize the times I need to take the car.

EDIT: It has SPEAKERS. Think of how easy it would be to upgrade those and ride around blasting Enya.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 31, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um the PC800 is classy as hell

look at who owns a PC800. This guy. don't you want to be this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8rSbrFRK8

hell yeah

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

The PC800 is a gorgeous and majestic motorcycle and I'll kindly ask you to watch your loving mouth.

I've wanted a PC800 since I first saw them, and found they had an actual trunk. Only recently did I find they were vtwin, and now I want one even more.

Just look at this dash. Look at the skidoo like plastic covered handlebars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzRp1Qu_5ak (This video was also filmed not far from where I live. Which was a shock.)

As if all that wasn't enough, it's shaft drive with a hydraulic clutch.

Did I mention it had a trunk? Per the wiki:

"Trunk
Unlike other motorcycles that offer detachable side or top cases for storage, the PC800 has an integral waterproof trunk under the pillion (passenger seat). The passenger seat is attached to a single trunk lid that hinges upward to reveal two storage areas that straddle the rear wheel — with sufficient capacity to carry "two full-face helmets and two medium-sized gym bags",[4] or "two grocery bags", or "four plastic bags full of groceries, along with a small bag of dog food."[4] The trunk lid is held up by a hydraulic strut and is controlled by a release mechanism under the lockable fuel filler door."

At first glance, it's just a beautiful motorcycle. But surprise there is actual storage for your gear when you go places, or your groceries. It's a motorcycle for people who want to ride all the time. I'm a sucker for moto storage because I want to minimize the times I need to take the car.

EDIT: It has SPEAKERS. Think of how easy it would be to upgrade those and ride around blasting Enya.

At first glance, it's a big scooter.

On second squint, after tension has built up and you think you might be looking at something really cool and interesting, it's a Honda.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On second look I will update my take to "it's like a Deauville and a Pan European had a baby that was somehow born before either of its parents"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

At first glance, it's a big scooter.

On second squint, after tension has built up and you think you might be looking at something really cool and interesting, it's a Honda.

It's a 90s honda, not a now honda. With a vtwin. I'd take one over a pan euro any day.

Speaking of honda, I changed the oil in the hawk for the first time since I bought it 2 years ago. :eng99: In my defense, I've only put 2300 miles on it. Now that It's my only bike the miles are racking up fast. Anyway I like where they put the drain plug on it, and the filter wasn't that hard to get off after I punched a screwdriver through it.

I need to be taking better care of it, but it's so reliable that I don't really need to do anything. Might coolant flush next.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The PC800 Super Scooter is a good bike. I has one major flaw and that is ease of maintenance but it's a big dumb underpowered 52 degree vtwin. The maintenance intervals are long and it's not going to break.

Got the motor in today with some choice words and grunting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Pan Euros are weirdly fun to ride, because they're *so* bland that they become basically invisible and you can almost forget you're riding a motorbike, and instead are just zooming along the road on a moderately comfy chair. They're almost the platonic ideal of a Japanese bike in that way, and one of the few bikes where I think I can understand (if not ever want to join) the people who enjoy that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re right, there is something weirdly serene about riding a big hunk of 80’s Japanese touring metal, they’re so smooth and unobtrusive that it makes it easy to just sit and ride forever.

On my other bikes I’m standing up to stretch and shifting around on the seat and stopping for gas and rest but on the Goldwing I just sit.........and ride, until the gas runs out.

It’s a very weird experience, as someone who has traditionally shunned touring bikes, and I get their appeal now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
70's UJM bikes are the pinnacle of motorcycle ergonomics

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

70's UJM bikes are the pinnacle of motorcycle ergonomics

A few years ago I would've raised an eyebrow but you're loving right. My cb125 is the most exploitable bike in the corners I've ever ridden because it feels like you can sit on the headstock or the taillight if you feel like it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

A few years ago I would've raised an eyebrow but you're loving right. My cb125 is the most exploitable bike in the corners I've ever ridden because it feels like you can sit on the headstock or the taillight if you feel like it.

I love my CB125. I"m that rear end in a top hat who parks it by the bike rack because it's just so cute and I couldn't stand to watch it get run over by some rear end in a top hat in a suburban who can't see it backing into THEIR parking spot.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

After trying JIS screwdrivers of varying sizes, vice grips, screw extraction pliers, impact drivers I finally resorted to spotting the stuck screw on the top of my DRZs carb... which worked.

Buuuuuut I couldn’t get the float bowl free as one of the bolts was also very tight and I was trying to do this with the carb still in the frame.

Considering taking the thing to have someone else work on it, my 3 hour window to strip everything down, do what I want, and build everything back up again and lock it up just doesn’t feel like enough time to do this.

Did manage to re-hose the split fuel line, and put some fatty foot pegs on though. So at least it’s rideable.

[Edit] additionally, there’s this poo poo which I’ve never seen before. https://cdn.thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_09_2016/post-415473-0-42613000-1474718603.png

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 2, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

Considering taking the thing to have someone else work on it, my 3 hour window to strip everything down, do what I want, and build everything back up again and lock it up just doesn’t feel like enough time to do this.

If you can afford this, consider just getting a second carb off ebay instead. Make sure it's clean and working, swap it in, take as long as you need fixing the other one, then sell one of them on when you're done.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you can afford this, consider just getting a second carb off ebay instead. Make sure it's clean and working, swap it in, take as long as you need fixing the other one, then sell one of them on when you're done.
Aha. I started looking for one right after my post.

Hoping I can get a cheap newish US OEM one.

There is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323903137932 which is affordable, but trying to get any details on compatibility and efficacy is proving to be troublesome.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 2, 2020

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Finally replaced the spark plugs in the '78 GS750 (I thought I'd done this last year, but I think I just inspected them and said "yep, I need to replace those").
I've had it out a few times, that is a nice bike to ride.

About the only ergonomic complaint is that the grips are rather skinny on them and the pressure on my wrist from using the throttle isn't comfortable. I have some thicker grips on the way to try them out.

I also replaced the fuel filter on the '94 Ninja 250 as I could see actual sediment in it.
So at this point I've: rebuilt the carbs, replaced spark plugs, and replaced fuel filter. I have a new air filter, but realized I don't have appropriate oil for it (I think I used all of the air filter oil I had on my 335i).

One interesting thing I noticed on the new fuel filter:

The flow arrow seems to indicate the opposite direction of flow from the one that was in there.
I'm beginning to suspect the arrow is only there so you reinstall it the same way if you should happen to take it off.

I had the same thing with the fuel filter on a '99 Saab 9-3 I used to have. The flow arrow was reversed on the replacement filter (even though it was the same brand and same part number).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the filter is as efficient either way, it’s just to keep you from washing a ton of poo poo out of the filter into your engine.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Have you been on any other GLs before your current one? My blue GL1000 never ran all that great because I never wanted to take the carbs off and do the real job, and it always sounded like a lawnmower on full choke thanks to the headers rusted straight through. Good bike! Hadn’t wanted to take care of its issues because I was down to one running motorcycle.

Today I rode the purple GL1100 for about fifteen minutes and all I could think was, “oh, THAT’S how it’s supposed to feel.” I spent all morning getting the wheels and the replacement diff spool together and the brakes bled. eBay sellers who hide behind “as-is, untested” for calipers and master cylinders can blow me, air kept getting in and one of my calipers stuck shut on a rotor. I cannibalized parts from the GL1000.

It starts, runs, and stops. I didn’t take any shots of the new headlight’s field of vision or wattage, but I’m pretty confident it’s criminal. Turn signals are still 🤷🏼‍♂️, I ran out of time and daylight.

Oh and don’t yell at me but 2’ of exhaust tip on the clutch side rotted through and fell off so I sawzall’d the other side to match.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah the filter is as efficient either way, it’s just to keep you from washing a ton of poo poo out of the filter into your engine.

Just a small wrinkle here: if you're partial to the vastly superior brass-ball matrix type, they can still go either direction but the arrow gives you considerably more surface area. So 'backwards' will flow ok when it's clean, but the filter surface area is a 3mm circle, while 'forwards' orientation gives you the filter surface area of a cone with a 3mm base, and there is typically lots of spare volume around it so sediment can sort of chill and hang out in that area and not just be packed up against the filter medium.

Revvik posted:

Oh and don’t yell at me but 2’ of exhaust tip on the clutch side rotted through and fell off so I sawzall’d the other side to match.

Custom yo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oil and filter change, chain tension and clean/wax, and cleaned up some paint chips on the frame with rust converter and touch-up paint. I'll keep an eye on those, may end up needing to sand and respray those areas.

Maybe I oughta get a can of black rustoleum.

e: oh yeah, on the filter change. The last time was a nightmare because my exhaust dangles right in front of the filter housing, until I figured out how to take things apart to get everything out. Then I didn't do a filter change for a long time. This time, I got the filter out without issue, but getting it back in required me to pop my exhaust off. Fortunately it's all just sections held together by tension springs, pull the springs off and loosen the can holder and it slides right out, and the filter slides right in. ezpz.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

Have you been on any other GLs before your current one? My blue GL1000 never ran all that great because I never wanted to take the carbs off and do the real job, and it always sounded like a lawnmower on full choke thanks to the headers rusted straight through. Good bike! Hadn’t wanted to take care of its issues because I was down to one running motorcycle.

Nope, my first time riding any Goldwing was on the way home after trading my elite for it.

With flat tires, bottomed out air suspension and diiiiirty as hell carbs

Not a great experience. Thankfully the tires were SO flat that I initially thought the forks were bent, but upon inspection were fine so I just stopped at the first gas station with free air :argh: topped up the tires and the radiator and rode home with the choke on, scraping the exhaust on every bump. :waycool:

I’ll say, now though it rides fantastic! So you’re right, once set up correctly they are very nice to ride.

It is still very sensitive to tire pressure, more so than any bike I’ve ever owned. If the front end gets low, it wants to fall into corners and it’s very weird. I get now why there is a Schroeder valve on the air suspension system to pump up the tires. You don’t want to be on low tires on it.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Various parts arrived, and was feeling in the zone, so -

Installed new stator and ignition pickup
Wired new harness enough to make the bike run
Relocated the CDI to make room for a dry box to house an m.unit blue that arrives next week
Added a 5 pin relay to trick the m.unit into thinking I have an ignition system
New gaskets on stator cover, clutch cover and water pump
New oil filter
2 X helicoil

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ninja 650 is currently parked at the dealer for 1000km initial service/inspection. Yeah, it's all stuff I could probably do myself, but I have more money than common sense, and I'm particularly busy at "work" right now so I'll give them the two hundred or whatever it costs at the end of the day. Hoping for a nice long road trip this weekend so it'll be great to have new fluids and be ready to go :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Ninja 650 is currently parked at the dealer for 1000km initial service/inspection. Yeah, it's all stuff I could probably do myself, but I have more money than common sense, and I'm particularly busy at "work" right now so I'll give them the two hundred or whatever it costs at the end of the day. Hoping for a nice long road trip this weekend so it'll be great to have new fluids and be ready to go :)

Post a trip report of your impending dealer-induced breakdown :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Check the oil level. Check that they used a new crush washer on the oil drain plug, and that the drain plug is secure.

Even when taking my car for an oil change, I check everything after, in the parking lot. Half the time the oil is too low. The last time I had the automatic fluid flushed I got 30 miles away from home and found they didn't secure the drain plug or put a crush washer on and it dropped most of the fluid in the parking spot.

I do all my own work now, especially on my bikes.