Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm digging this anima tree. Got my spaceborn noble duo and just about to dip the toe into triggering the anima tree on my top three tribal warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For starter tips, do not ever underestimate the value of high quality beds in bedrooms. Higher quality beds reduce the time it takes to fill the rest bar. Higher quality bed = more productive colonists. They also add to bedroom beauty, but primarily the productivity gain.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

...the gently caress, today I learned that you can't visit empty tiles without having a mod to do it. This makes no sense, why, how.... I don't want to set up another base, I want to go mine some slate or whatever and it seems weird that this isn't in the base game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is, sort of. That's what the mineral scanner is for, you have to specifically "discover" sites with valuable materials on them.

You can grab the camp mod but it kind of trivializes a lot of resource gathering because you can just go one tile over and strip mine it. The game is sort of balanced around having limited resources on your map and having costs associated with getting more from off map, be it through trade, fighting other settlements, or having to spend a lot of time at the scanner with a research pawn.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Here's a question.

I have parkas, flak vests, pants, flak helmets. I make an out fit for these an assign them to my pawns and they refuse to wear any of it They just wear their starter shirt. I have to force each one to wear the stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Here's a question.

I have parkas, flak vests, pants, flak helmets. I make an out fit for these an assign them to my pawns and they refuse to wear any of it They just wear their starter shirt. I have to force each one to wear the stuff.

Do you have specific qualities/conditions set in the outfit? That's usually the thing that trips people up. Also pawns will often be sluggish about changing clothes if they're busy. It's a middling priority sort of job.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can you link that or give the full name?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pawns are biased to wear "the best" equipment available for a survival metric and equipment relative to the season for comfortable temperatures. They won't wear parkas until winter is near, they'll automatically trade (good) for (excellent), they'll replace damaged clothing, etc. If I've had a few tattered apparels recently I'll queue up 5-10 of the slot from tailors and it won't come up again for awhile. If a hot or cold season is coming I do the same for dusters or parkas and don't get the "yo you're gonna die the temp gets this crazy" warnings. I usually have a problem with colonists racing to equip armor that slows them down and they don't need for daily use because I don't want it decaying.

There is a tab where you can set colony restrictions and dictate what they're allowed to wear. Having a normal uniform that includes anything above 51% durability and an emergency/raid uniform that at least puts your melee guys in armor and shield belts and such is very handy. You can also forbid/allow anything that exists in the game in there to prevent spontaneous armoring up.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's minus 26 and they're all in t-shirt and they will only wear parkas if forced.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There is, sort of. That's what the mineral scanner is for, you have to specifically "discover" sites with valuable materials on them.

You can grab the camp mod but it kind of trivializes a lot of resource gathering because you can just go one tile over and strip mine it. The game is sort of balanced around having limited resources on your map and having costs associated with getting more from off map, be it through trade, fighting other settlements, or having to spend a lot of time at the scanner with a research pawn.

Ohhh, that makes more sense. Still kind of a weird choice but whatevs.

Katt posted:

I'm looking at this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1470065926

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Katt posted:

It's minus 26 and they're all in t-shirt and they will only wear parkas if forced.

Parkas they should shove on immediately if they don't have another choice of an outer covering. I'm usually having to tell my colonists to stop taking the lovely parkas we strip from dying raiders or the flak vests from the dead ones. That sounds like some type of mod conflict, perhaps a colonist schedule issue? Some things they'll only do during Anything that's not covered under Recreation or Work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Yes that's the one I use, it lets you generate a small map anywhere, which leaves behind a site which expires after 60 days. I assume if you revisit the site it will be largely as you left it which if so raises the possibility of permanent waystations if you run a route often enough, and also presumably prevents you regenerating the tiles next to your settlement over and over again for more resources.

Doomykins posted:

If I've had a few tattered apparels recently I'll queue up 5-10 of the slot from tailors and it won't come up again for awhile..

Another option is you can specifically set a bill to "do until you have 1/2" and then set the conditions to "above 50% durability" which will cause it to automatically queue up more as you wear the old ones out.

If you want you can also tell it to keep doing it until you get high quality ones by setting a quality restriction too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice if the game had a way of balancing this, because it's ridiculous that my colonists can starve to death when there are berries and animals a half-hour walk away (as observed when, for example, I got ambushed by a couple of geese a tile away from my settlement and there were herds of other animals everywhere). Maybe some sort of huge harvest amount penalty or time loss for harvesting off-map. Or make those types of resources only spawn farther than x distance away from the settlement.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

It would be nice if the game had a way of balancing this, because it's ridiculous that my colonists can starve to death when there are berries and animals a half-hour walk away (as observed when, for example, I got ambushed by a couple of geese a tile away from my settlement and there were herds of other animals everywhere). Maybe some sort of huge harvest amount penalty or time loss for harvesting off-map. Or make those types of resources only spawn farther than x distance away from the settlement.

Well, in theory you can pack everyone into a caravan and gently caress off somewhere else if that happens, the game tells you so in the loading tips. And if you're tribals with good plant skills and low on food, sending someone to go sit one tile over and forage is actually quite viable.

Apparently the camp mod linked can also let you control whether or not the camp maps will spawn with resources so presumably if you turn them off you won't get metals or anything but you can still find food/animals.

I agree though that it would be nice if there were some way to preserve maps a bit better if you leave them. I think it kind of ruins them the instant you abandon them and it'd be nice if you could perhaps secure at least things like mountain bunkers a bit, with security measures or something for you to return to.

But then again I just generally wish there was more to the strategic layer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 31, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My current bottleneck is steel - I need steel to make the scanners/drillers, and there's next to none left on my map.

e: "Your caravan has been ambushed by maneating yorkshire terriers" god damnit game i laughed

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 31, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

bird food bathtub posted:

For starter tips, do not ever underestimate the value of high quality beds in bedrooms. Higher quality beds reduce the time it takes to fill the rest bar. Higher quality bed = more productive colonists. They also add to bedroom beauty, but primarily the productivity gain.

Quality Builder is really nice for this, you can set the build to a certain level (good/excellent/whatever) and they'll keep building/desconstructing it until it hits at least that quality level.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

HelloSailorSign posted:

Parkas they should shove on immediately if they don't have another choice of an outer covering. I'm usually having to tell my colonists to stop taking the lovely parkas we strip from dying raiders or the flak vests from the dead ones. That sounds like some type of mod conflict, perhaps a colonist schedule issue? Some things they'll only do during Anything that's not covered under Recreation or Work.

Mystery solved. The gear wasn't in a stockpile :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh that is good advice, thanks.

Also apparently the new psyfocus update broke a bunch of mods/interactions at random so maybe you got hit there Katt. I loaded up my colony today and I can't select stacked items in storage mod shelves and my android literally can't eat food but still starves to death. Everything lists as up to date but that is the only thing that has changed since the last time I played so gently caress me I guess.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not certain, but I think the Cities mod is loving up the new quest system by overly weighting its year-long duration "Go to this city across the continent and defend it" quests and causing it to no offer as many vanilla quests as it should. It could readily be just blind luck and quest weightings, but I'm getting way more interesting tasks from my neighbors once I removed that. I

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay. Using the camping mod to test out a new strategy: moving my entire base to a new location. I want to focus on one colony at a time, but having to leave stuff behind sucks, so doing it in stages makes more sense from both a mechanics and lore perspective.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

When you hold a prisoner for someone as a quest. Do they care if the prisoner is returned without a few organs and/or limbs?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think it varies by quest, some prisoners are members of a given faction, others are extracts from a vault or something and aren't. In any event, if you queue up a surgical operation and it won't go over well, there will be a big popup that says THIS WILL ANGER [faction x]. You can remove the queued operation if you decide not to aggro them. Be aware when it says "anger" it means it, it'll drop your relations to -75 and initiate war, no matter how good your relationship was before.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Time to took for me to go from "i'll play vanilla" to "mod the hell out of it" = roughly two days. I have such good self-control!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's no prize for playing vanilla, mod it as much as you want, vanilla is a good idea so you get a sense of what you're actually starting from with mods, but really the only thing you need to bear in mind is making sure the game is still fun for you, and that can take some fiddling with different mods and settings to get what you want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There's no prize for playing vanilla, mod it as much as you want, vanilla is a good idea so you get a sense of what you're actually starting from with mods, but really the only thing you need to bear in mind is making sure the game is still fun for you, and that can take some fiddling with different mods and settings to get what you want.

This is all true.

It's been a fun time looking for mods, too - I think my favorite new discoveries have been the entire Vanilla Expanded line (so good one of 'em actually got worked into the main game!) - and GouRIMet, a nice simple overhaul to food. (Rimcuisine is out of date and seemingly abandoned, and Vegetable Garden is SO complex)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The update busted my save and made my ground colony disappear, so I'm going to take that as a sign it's time to cull the ol' mod list again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The mod ( Interaction Bubbles ) that puts the stuff in the social tab on the screen really adds more flavor and atmosphere while I'm watching my colony. Just a small detail, but I love seeing what they're talking about.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rimcuisine is out of date and seemingly abandoned

No it's not, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1833592062

One thing to keep in mind is that some mods have 3 or 4 versions all uploaded to the workshop, and sometimes it can be hard to tell if you've found the latest update.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"oh a drunk duck, lovely, fantastic, I'm going to have to put the alcohol in a specific storage and forbid it I see"

.............................goddamnit

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531640632

Technically a very slight nerf to beer and ambrosia, but oh-so-worth it.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

I'm not certain, but I think the Cities mod is loving up the new quest system by overly weighting its year-long duration "Go to this city across the continent and defend it" quests and causing it to no offer as many vanilla quests as it should. It could readily be just blind luck and quest weightings, but I'm getting way more interesting tasks from my neighbors once I removed that. I

I believe you're right. I just beat the game (for the first time) and realized towards the end that I wasnt getting any vanilla quests, just the prisoner breakout, sabotage, and city siege quests. I would also get the Royalty quests. But absolutely none of the typical trade quests

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's everyone's favourite storage mod? While culling, I noticed I had both LWM's Deep Storage and Extended Storage both installed, and I dont remember what the difference is :saddowns:

I also wound up uninstalling GeneticRim and Glitternet, not because I dont like them but because I never actually get around to using them. I doubt they did much for CPU usage but I'm scrounging hard at this point

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

The mod ( Interaction Bubbles ) that puts the stuff in the social tab on the screen really adds more flavor and atmosphere while I'm watching my colony. Just a small detail, but I love seeing what they're talking about.

I know your colony seems to have more pressing issues but all that clutter is making me anxious just looking at these screenshots.

Pro-tier animal names, though.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Danaru posted:

What's everyone's favourite storage mod? While culling, I noticed I had both LWM's Deep Storage and Extended Storage both installed, and I dont remember what the difference is :saddowns:

I also wound up uninstalling GeneticRim and Glitternet, not because I dont like them but because I never actually get around to using them. I doubt they did much for CPU usage but I'm scrounging hard at this point

I have those, plus Extended Storage Extended. The only difference iirc is what storage options they have. LWM seems to be more balanced, in that most of it's stuff tends to be along the lines of 2x1 units with 8-12 storage. The Extended ones have ridiculously roomy things like a 2x2 stack of crates with 100 storage. Technically it's overpowered as you can have a tiny storage zone, but I hate dealing with sprawling warehouses of stuff so I just use a mix of whatever looks best.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Razakai posted:

I have those, plus Extended Storage Extended. The only difference iirc is what storage options they have. LWM seems to be more balanced, in that most of it's stuff tends to be along the lines of 2x1 units with 8-12 storage. The Extended ones have ridiculously roomy things like a 2x2 stack of crates with 100 storage. Technically it's overpowered as you can have a tiny storage zone, but I hate dealing with sprawling warehouses of stuff so I just use a mix of whatever looks best.

Oh cool, I figured they might have been conflicting without me noticing :v: I'll definitely check out Extended Extended because even with skips, I wind up using half my warehouse for just steel

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Your base is filthy because you let big animals wander around the house

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did a full size render, shame about the artefacts on the water.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Tag yourself, I'm the luxury hotel/spa down the street from the missile silos.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm the Temple of Nod oil refinery zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Your base is filthy because you let big animals wander around the house

Moon Slayer posted:

I know your colony seems to have more pressing issues but all that clutter is making me anxious just looking at these screenshots.

Pro-tier animal names, though.

yes mom(s) I'm working on it ugh stay out of my ROOM

e: okay there my storage areas are animal-free. I'm going to have to make a barn/duck enclosure soon, huh

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 1, 2020