Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm confused, is the sub not just a mirrored main output? so you can't have like... a booth and master out? What does the "Main" button do on the sub out?

The sub can almost, but not quite, mirror the master. The master eq section and bluetooth audio cannot be routed to sub. The ”main” button routes the sub’s output into the main mix, instead of running parallel to main, and the mixer doesn’t have an option where sub is post-main. That way I could hear the master eq or if the mix is too hot on master which is important when streaming on PC, recording to SD or if I record direct to my camera from the headphone outputs.

I don’t know that much about mixers in general (this is my second one and I don’t have any actual sound engineering expertise) but to me the implementation of sub mix feels a little limited here. It’s most likely though that I just want to use it for something that it’s not designed for. :v: All I really want here is a separate volume control for monitor outputs, like my previous mixer had, so I’ll have to get a separate piece of gear for the volume attenuation. It’s not that expensive but still a slight annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Why aren’t you just monitoring the master out?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I want to record/stream at ”full” volume but monitor at a different, usually lower, volume.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You mean the master volume knob affects your internal recording level ?

Edit, there’s a post rec button on the master fader, that should allow you to record internally and only affect the output volume

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 31, 2020

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

You mean the master volume knob affects your internal recording level ?

Edit, there’s a post rec button on the master fader, that should allow you to record internally and only affect the output volume

OHHH nice. How come I’ve been so blind. :eng99: Thanks! I feel stupid but that’s a good kind of stupid since it prevented me from buying something I don’t really need heh

edit: okay that will make the SD recording bypass the master EQ too. Not 100% what I was looking for but ehhh maybe I’ll just deal with it

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 31, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Eq your individual tracks instead. The master eq has uses but leave it flat 99.9% of the time unless you need to account for room acoustics or something

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Yeah that’s what I do most of the time. For live performance sort of stuff the master EQ can be a helpful tool and a nice shortcut for quickly sculpting the overall sound but I can live without it.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Is there such thing as a simple clock syncable looper in eurorack? I don’t need granular synthesis features or anything fancy I just want to be able to loop a mono synth and have it synced with the rest of my mix.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

Eq your individual tracks instead. The master eq has uses but leave it flat 99.9% of the time unless you need to account for room acoustics or something

This is the best advice.

Also, what are you recording to? If it's your computer then can you just use audio out over USB and use the master outs for monitoring? Honest question. I don't know if it can do audio out or audio in over USB and the specs aren't clear on that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

He’s recording it to SD on the mixer. The model 12 is pretty sweet.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the best advice.

Also, what are you recording to? If it's your computer then can you just use audio out over USB and use the master outs for monitoring? Honest question. I don't know if it can do audio out or audio in over USB and the specs aren't clear on that.

Yeah, audio over USB should work alright since the mixer is also an audio interface. That should be good for streaming and if I want to record to a project in a DAW directly. Haven’t gotten around to plugging it in to my computer yet though. Another case is recording jams and random bleeps directly to SD on the mixer (with individual channels + master) and the post rec toggle should solve my monitoring volume issues there well enough. So I think I should have all my bases covered now, I’ll just have to verify in practice. I also use the headphone out if I want to record a jam directly to a camera’s mic in, like with the one I posted previously, but there’s no issue there since that output has a separate volume pot.

Thanks for the discussion, it has been helpful. I guess I’ve been a bit stuck in some old habits that weren’t directly transferrable to this particular mixer’s feature set.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Is there such thing as a simple clock syncable looper in eurorack? I don’t need granular synthesis features or anything fancy I just want to be able to loop a mono synth and have it synced with the rest of my mix.

I see mostly clockable delays or samplers.

What comes to mind for on the fly looping is Morphagene, and it's a great module, but since you said you don't want anything fancy maybe someone knows of better options.

e: Mimeophon might work too with the "hold" function and is certainly less deep than Morphagene. What's cool is you can also super easily change the loop duration to another division while it keeps the whole recording in memory to come back to it later. It's great to create variations

e2: thanks thread for the monitoring headphone chat. So far I've been using noise cancelling headphones to jam and I just realized how much of a mistake it was. 1 hour with proper monitoring headphones and I've been able to identify and remove most sources of noise from my rack, which was the thing bothering me the most lately. I was thinking so far it was just the noisefloor of the whole system but it wasn't.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 31, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, audio over USB should work alright since the mixer is also an audio interface. That should be good for streaming and if I want to record to a project in a DAW directly. Haven’t gotten around to plugging it in to my computer yet though. Another case is recording jams and random bleeps directly to SD on the mixer (with individual channels + master) and the post rec toggle should solve my monitoring volume issues there well enough. So I think I should have all my bases covered now, I’ll just have to verify in practice. I also use the headphone out if I want to record a jam directly to a camera’s mic in, like with the one I posted previously, but there’s no issue there since that output has a separate volume pot.

Thanks for the discussion, it has been helpful. I guess I’ve been a bit stuck in some old habits that weren’t directly transferrable to this particular mixer’s feature set.

Yeah I'm really glad you posted because that answered a few questions about the the mixer that I had as well.
Considering one even more strongly than I was before.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I see mostly clockable delays or samplers.

What comes to mind for on the fly looping is Morphagene, and it's a great module, but since you said you don't want anything fancy maybe someone knows of better options.

e: Mimeophon might work too with the "hold" function and is certainly less deep than Morphagene. What's cool is you can also super easily change the loop duration to another division while it keeps the whole recording in memory to come back to it later. It's great to create variations

I just don’t understand why no one has made a simple looper they’re all really complex and cost hundreds of dollars. Like I know for a fact people use guitar loop pedals with their synths is there really no one who wants that functionality but clock synced and in module format

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

sounds like a good electronics project :)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
If it doesn't need CV I don't see the point of it being modular.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Ummm so I can clock sync it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

My Lovely Horse posted:

This desk and this table also. Supplemented with an Adam Hall laptop stand.

I'm pretty happy with the desk, it's very solid. The pegs are obviously good for cables and I have my Bag O' Patch Cables hanging from one. You can customize it a little - the wings the speakers sit on can go on the inside, and they as well as the monitor shelf are height adjustable.

Where do you put your speakers?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

All these Syntrx reviews coming out makes me want one even more. Hainbach and loopop specifically.

Like, I have iVCS3 and i love it, but knooooooobs.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ended up looking at legit studio desks, my favorite was the Output Platform. Seriously considered it, then saw it's 12-14 weeks to even ship.

But there's a clone out there and the instructions/drawings are freely available, showed it to my wife, and she goes "let me design something."

So she's building a corner desk at the optimal seating height with plenty of room for PC monitors to sit at eye level with synth storage under the monitors. Plus I can always add a slide out drawer for my Keystep Essentials 49 if I want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I just don’t understand why no one has made a simple looper they’re all really complex and cost hundreds of dollars. Like I know for a fact people use guitar loop pedals with their synths is there really no one who wants that functionality but clock synced and in module format

What about those Roland ones that all the beatboxers + Marc Rebeillet use?

I forget the name but they have these big circular buttons on them. There’s one with two channels and one with five

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ok Comboomer posted:

What about those Roland ones that all the beatboxers + Marc Rebeillet use?

I forget the name but they have these big circular buttons on them. There’s one with two channels and one with five

Aren't those Boss looper's -- the 505 maybe?

https://www.boss.info/global/products/rc-505/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yes those are they. BOSS=Roland

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

McCoy Pauley posted:

That's pretty close to what I want but my current hardware doesn't have any midi out so I guess I do need something with cv tempo sync

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Where do you put your speakers?
At the risk of sounding glib, on the little wings.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

My Lovely Horse posted:

At the risk of sounding glib, on the little wings.

Yeah I wondered. How is it for rattling/sound isolation? It looks like a lot of metal. (I originally thought the wings were all metal too, but I see they have a particleboard top.)

Genuinely curious - we're moving soon and I'll be in the market for a new desk, with a view to putting studio monitors on it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's quite a solid piece, actually! The frame is metal, the shelves are particle board, and it all screws and clamps together pretty tightly. The monitor shelf and speaker wings are hung into slots in the frame but there's a bit of tension on them so nothing's rattling around. The side panels might seem a bit flimsy but once you've inserted them properly they're as tight as anything, and they're also entirely optional.

Caveat: I don't actually have monitor speakers (I know I should) and I can't vouch for what happens to this desk if you really do crank the bass. But for my purposes, I've had it for years and it might as well be carved from one single piece.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
I asked in here about getting a Clouds module last month. I ended up going with a breadboard and a bunch of components instead. I'm playing with the simple reverse avalanche oscillator from Look Mum No Computer (https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects/#/simplest-oscillator). I'm going slow and trying to wrap my head around how each component works before I get ambitious, I think my goal is to throw 6 of them in a box for a drone machine. I've gotten three going simultaneously so far and it's pretty satisfying.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 3, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Per exeggcute.tumblr.com:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
drat sweetwater isn’t joking around when they say they have a sales rep to work with you. Ordered a circuit through them yesterday knowing it was out of stock currently and they contacted me this morning via phone call and text with an estimate of when they’d restock and be able to ship.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, ol’ Chadmeister from Sweetwater is going to stalk you all the way to your grave now.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I apologize I really don't know where to post. I'm looking for somewhere to talk about mod trackers? I was at one point trying to sample my moog grandmother in audacity and then use those samples, but my workflow is so poor that it's too time consuming

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

I apologize I really don't know where to post. I'm looking for somewhere to talk about mod trackers? I was at one point trying to sample my moog grandmother in audacity and then use those samples, but my workflow is so poor that it's too time consuming

Check out renoise, it’s shareware tracker software

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My fondest recording memories were of 4 track cassette tapes. I see Renoise as very endgame, right now I'm working my way up from the least powerful tools. I'm in the middle right now with Milkytracker. I think the tool/synth/whatever is less important than what you do with it. Getting in the midset of "I need this $2,000 Novation Summit," I love that, i dig that, but I'm afraid to get too far down that slope. Sorry if I"m ranting a bit.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

get an amiga 500, trick it out with a solid state drive and all the other mods. you'll get both old tech and high costs

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The Voice of Labor posted:

get an amiga 500, trick it out with a solid state drive and all the other mods. you'll get both old tech and high costs

thank you goon. you are giving me hope to post more in something awful lol. that is great

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What do you think of the poly end tracker?

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

when is behringer going to make an es-8?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Poly End tracker is compatable with mod files. So you could edit on your pc, then transfer the mod over to the hardware. Great idea. It seems more open ended than something within the electron world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

excellent bird guy posted:

thank you goon. you are giving me hope to post more in something awful lol. that is great

you are great, you should post more. especially about your gear wishes and desires