Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Iannucci's' next film should be a post-COVID zombie movie set in the Thick of It universe. Follow Malcolm Tucker and pals as they try to restart the economy in the midst of a deadly virus, working title: Satire is Dead

Edit: awful post, awful snipe. 174 in Roman numerals is CLXXIV, pronounced "cluck sieve"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

yeah

the fact is remain lost the referendum as soon as the question was remain vs leave

The fact is loving everyone lost as soon as there was a referendum at all.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

loving brazen. I mean yes, it's The Scum, but even so.

The BBC's breaking news notification wasn't much better.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ok fair enough to ronya, I was assuming one of the 4 non-Corbyns in post after a leave victory. But I'm not convinced any of those four would have helped win over the people who are angry at the liberal establishment.

E: even if one of them only ran against Corbyn after the referendum

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1267045914226626561?s=20

wow we've eliminated the coronavirus in the uk, mission accomplished!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Corbyn would be PM right now if he'd just promised that better things aren't possible.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

Corbyn would be PM right now if he'd just promised that better things aren't possible.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Relaxing the rules for shielding people is utterly bonkers. It goes against everything they've said about their plan so far, so the plan has gone out the window, likely as a dead cat to cover Jenrick's corruption or more cover for Cummings.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lungboy posted:

Relaxing the rules for shielding people is utterly bonkers. It goes against everything they've said about their plan so far, so the plan has gone out the window, likely as a dead cat to cover Jenrick's corruption or more cover for Cummings.

This is the government who said Day 1, "we're not going to do a lockdown because herd immunity you see" because they care more about the economy staying open than people dying. It might contradict what they say now but it's entirely what they intended from the start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the people getting the shielding notice are seriously loving ill to the point the coronavirus is absurdly lethal for them, that's literally just gonna kill whole swathes of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lungboy posted:

I have yet to see a single shielding person who has not said 'gently caress this I'm continuing to stay at home' if they're able, but a lot will not be able, especially as the food package programme is stopping too, or so I understand.

God loving drat the wolrd is for poo poo right now.

I am genuinely horrified on so many axes I've lost count of how many different things I'm horrified by, every so often I'll remember another one and be like. oh yeah, that's terrifying too.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

As ice cream vans jingle up and down my estate. Suspect hygiene at the best of times. Anyone for a covid-99-er flake?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jonashworth/status/1267111753479065600?s=21

Jesus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mebh posted:

As ice cream vans jingle up and down my estate. Suspect hygiene at the best of times. Anyone for a covid-99-er flake?

The ice cream van that comes round my estate never stopped.

Though thinking abotu it I've never actually SEEN the thing, I wonder if it's a ghost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/mant_a_tangi/status/1267065109446197249

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There is something particularly ironic about this weekend being the one where Tesla launched people into space.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

XMNN posted:

I really can't tell if we're disagreeing or not lol

if you're "following the science" it's not actually a problem if the scientific advice changes because you just change your policy in response to it. it's only a problem if you're actually just using science as a cover for doing what you wanted to do anyway, because when the scientific advice changes suddenly you're no longer following it (see: the government).

like, "is it too risky to open more things up on Monday?" isn't a particularly long-term question; the scientists deciding in a few weeks that it is now safe enough to open up doesn't even require you to change your position on it

also, scientists deciding to go to the media to say they're concerned about your plans is probably less likely if you're actually following their advice

with regards to being concerned for people's safety, the schools are a very good example of how they're not, because it's not like parents are particularly worthwhile authorities on what's safe, whereas at least unions are generally looking out for the safety of their members

maybe we're using different definitions of "be the 'scientific advice'/'people's safety' party" (i.e. be perceived as being concerned with those things vs actually being concerned with those things)? Although the way they're handling it suggests to me that they're not actually particularly bothered about either, or if they are then they're not competent enough to choose the right policy (if their concern is genuine)/make a convincing job of pretending they care about science and safety (if their concern is the perception)

it seems to me like they're more concerned about playing politics than they are about actual constructive criticism (how ironic!) because they don't want to say things that they know are true if they might be unpopular or awkward for them later. If you were actually genuinely concerned about doing the right thing you would not give a flying gently caress about private polling tea leaves in median communities suggesting that they weren't keen on it, you would stand by your important principles, e.g. that killing tens of thousands of people through criminal negligence is a bad thing to do

just as a matter of messaging, if the stance is "experts have advised that we should do X, so we should do X", then telling people "we should do X if experts advise us to do X" is a honest and straightforward way to say it. The intended political message is: I would prioritise this expert advice if in office. I would weigh the competing concerns in this way.

transmuting this to "we should do X*" with a hidden gotcha can sting if the expert of choice 1) changes their mind 2) denounces some other part of your policy in this area 3) is overruled by committee 4) is contradicted by other experts 5) is a expert answerable to someone else and is subject to manipulation by them at a later date to achieve any of 1-4.... any of those things can happen.

it does also happen to be politically appealing if one is concerned about X not being received well, or could be seen as being basely motivated (and one trusts that the experts would be better received). If it were just straight-up popular advice then there would be no need for cautious message discipline, which (honest or not) can come off as unnatural. Or aggravate the rank and file, like yourself here

concern #2 here, I should add, is that HM Opposition's actual line on this issue is also somewhat subtle and hard to communicate on Marr... the argument is not "don't ease the lockdown at all" - Labour tests or not, such a stringent position would not be consistent with the expert advice, which is that the risks are lower but still substantial as R approaches 1. The argument is instead "don't ease the lockdown as much as the govt is currently doing, and be clearer about exactly what should be eased". And not all of Labour's favoured proposals mesh well with expert advice... e.g. Labour seems to have been cautiously backing regional lockdowns (which would empower Labour mayors and councils, notably, since after all it does not control No. 10) but it appears that SAGE applied its now-infamous pre-emptive pessimism to it in a previous document.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1267129644228247552

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sorry it's US pol thing - but Trump has tweeted in the last half hour that antifa are to be declared a terror organisation by US.
I'm not sure it's on him to make that call. But if it is, will UK follow suit?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry it's US pol thing - but Trump has tweeted in the last half hour that antifa are to be declared a terror organisation by US.
I'm not sure it's on him to make that call. But if it is, will UK follow suit?

More than likely. We're desperate to lick those fash boots, as a country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antifa isn't an organization it's a concept lol.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can't put my finger on why but I'm awfully wary of people who are anti antifa :/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to post this, too, but I don't think anyone who's trying to do this understands the concept of a distributed movement based on a principle.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Antifa isn't an organisation, its a series of tactics designed to combat the rise of...

My guard at Guantanamo: I said shut the gently caress up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's all this stuff on twitter about anonymous leaking a bunch of documents what definitely proves the queen done murdered are diana cos she found out about noncing?

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Both my grandparents have been shielding due to their age and health (my grandma is currently getting treatment for leukemia). They've been chomping at the bit to be able to go back to 'normal' and basically believe everything the newspapers feed to them.

The change of advice for shielding people is not going to go well for them. :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i feel like protesting in solidarity is like the one valid reason to break social distancing rules if i'm honest

it's a gently caress ton better reason than being bored and wanting to go to the beach anyway

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1267142753626046469

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

i feel like protesting in solidarity is like the one valid reason to break social distancing rules if i'm honest

it's a gently caress ton better reason than being bored and wanting to go to the beach anyway

Oh yeah I'm not complaining, just pleasantly surprised/hoping that they don't get sick because of it. It was intended to be a positive piece of information.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Though thinking abotu it I've never actually SEEN the thing, I wonder if it's a ghost.

You know, same here. I think maybe it's a UK noise like blackbirds and house alarms on a Sunday in the wind. Sorta, constant audio track of the UK. All you need is "mind the gap"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ronya does have a point about Corbyn. He got a significant pass on issues of triangulation on account of his past record.

Prime examples would be not promising to reverse benefit cuts in 2017, making the entire manifesto fully costed, failing to defend freedom of movement.

All very understandable tactical decisions, just not necessarily the 'right' thing to do. The fact that I gave Corbyn a pass is partly why I'm still not treating Starmer as the devil incarnate: I'm more interested in his policy platform than how he sells himself to the nation. So far I agree his inability to criticise the government has been infuriating, but he's made some correct moves like voting against the immigration bill and campaigning for the scrapping of the NHS surcharge for healthcare workers (that will actually save some of my colleagues many hundreds of pounds a year). He should get a little bit of credit for that, even as we push him to be more aggressive in tone.

EDIT: Also if Coronavirus had tiny hands it would be rubbing them in glee that the George Floyd killing happened right now. What loving timing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thespaceinvader posted:

It wouldn't surprise me of it was involved in the drug trade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress's sake elements of the far right are trying to claim Aloha shirts now.

I'm going to stand my ground on this, or if it becomes untenable retreat to Madiba shirts where I really doubt they'll follow.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Good to see the Grauniad keeping up it's usual standard of proofreading.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1266316665517740034?s=19

Schools open tomorrow.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jabby posted:

You know, if you did score a goal in a football match then took off your shirt to highlight all the injustices that you had suffered, it would make you look like the biggest bell end on Earth or a Legend.

Either way FIFA probably couldn't fine you for doing so as it wouldn't be a political statement.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

jabby posted:

oh that's a typo for the ages

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't like Starmer, but I'm just not sure the rabid leftism I want would actually do anything but alienate the electorate. I'm still signed up to labour for a year but I cancelled my dd. I can't condone his centrist poo poo but I can't bring myself to just flip a table and say "well that's that guess I'll vote for the greens" (lol)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

when it happens here we won't close them

all we had to do was make masks mandatory and keep lockdown up for another 2 months or so but nope. time for more deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Did you just not notice how the media acted towards him for 3 years? Did you miss a general openly telling everyone they’d coup him? Was the man who had a years long anti-semitism smear against him sabotaged? Yes.

Genuinely like to know about the General, as an organisation we are supposed to be openly apolitical, tbh we had forums about brexit with the general consensus within the sqn being to vote remain.