Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it also has to be a river that can flood. Most of them do, but I had one in a mountain area that mostly ran past hills that wouldn't let me build a dam anywhere along its length. I'm not sure why that was, but it also never flooded or had any warnings in the disaster map mode, so I figure the two were connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Looks like 2K/Firaxis actually are trying to make an effort to have the new packs released across all (PC) platforms simultaneously; the Linux and macOS ports landed the first pack today, though cross-platform play is still a work in progress.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think it also has to be a river that can flood. Most of them do, but I had one in a mountain area that mostly ran past hills that wouldn't let me build a dam anywhere along its length. I'm not sure why that was, but it also never flooded or had any warnings in the disaster map mode, so I figure the two were connected.

yes, only actual floodplains can flood. floodplains are non-removable features that can appear on flatland dessert, plains, or grasslands adjacent to a river. but not all flatland tiles on a river will get them. they cannot be on hills. they provide -1 appeal so you can quickly check the appeal lense to find them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The other placement rule which is poorly explained is for aqueducts, they need to be adjacent to your city, the tile they are placed on has to border a mountain or source of fresh water, but crucially, if a river is the source of the fresh water, the river must flow on at least one edge not adjacent to the city centre. To put it another way, if the only source of fresh water on a tile is a river which flows through only one edge, you can't place an aqueduct there if the city centre is directly adjacent on that same edge.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Reveilled posted:

The other placement rule which is poorly explained is for aqueducts, they need to be adjacent to your city, the tile they are placed on has to border a mountain or source of fresh water, but crucially, if a river is the source of the fresh water, the river must flow on at least one edge not adjacent to the city centre. To put it another way, if the only source of fresh water on a tile is a river which flows through only one edge, you can't place an aqueduct there if the city centre is directly adjacent on that same edge.

See this is also good to know, I was wondering why my carefully laid aqueduct/dam/IZ plans would occasionally get blown up by the game not letting me put an aqueduct where I wanted it to go. :doh:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The game is pretty bad at explaining a lot of stuff like that.
I really feel that with workers if I stand on a tile it should tell me (via tooltip) why I can't build each potential improvement instead of forcing me to Civlopedia it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

HappyCamperGL posted:

yes, only actual floodplains can flood. floodplains are non-removable features that can appear on flatland dessert, plains, or grasslands adjacent to a river. but not all flatland tiles on a river will get them. they cannot be on hills. they provide -1 appeal so you can quickly check the appeal lense to find them.

Ohh, that explains it. I guess I was still thinking of floodplains as the ones that used to be exclusive to desert tiles.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Reveilled posted:

though if the city already has fresh water there isn't much point in building an aqueduct usually.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I may still be pretty newbie, but I know that definitely isn't true. A major adjacency for industrial zones is too good to pass up, even if you already have fresh water. I see Potato McWhiskey build aquaducts for that sole purpose all the time.

For example, in my current germany game, I have this setup going on at the intersection of heidelberg and ulm. These rivers weren't lucky enough to be damable, but it still worked out well.

My petra city doesn't have the advantage of sharing the commercial hub with another city, but it does have a pretty good hansa for a solo city. Combining the adjacency bonuses of the commercial hub, dam, and aquaduct, along with an iron resource.

This is the game I was talking about in my last post with the dam question though, where I pinned out everything before I built.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

yes hence usually. if you have a city with an industrial zone that may be an exception. also cities with a good wonder like ruhr valley or chitchen itza where you want to grow the city very large and work as many mines or jungles mills as possible.

but mostly you don't need that many industrial zones - enough that the regional effects power the cities that need powered is plenty in most games. even then getting an extra +2 adjacency might not pay back the production cost of the aqueduct before the end of the game anyway.

edit - and germany of course should build hansas in most cities. unique districts are discounted, and germany get an extra district spot from population so the opportunity cost is less.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 29, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

though if the city already has fresh water there isn't much point in building an aqueduct usually.

It's +2 housing and it provides a +2 adjacency to industrial zones, I always tend to build them even in my fresh water cities for this reason.

The housing in particular is always nice as that's usually the big bottleneck from mid- to late-game.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone ever have a game with no aluminum?

Like... not a little aluminum or I have to go settle a city to get some. But like none. None visible to me, no AI have it, none.

edit: Just launched earth satellite. There are two! One in Scotland's capital and one in China, both undeveloped. Guess I'm going to war with China.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 29, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there a Civ:BE thread? Lately I've been on a huge sci-fi kick and was wanting to discuss mods, but all I see is this thread and a mention of Civ 5 in the OP.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
:stonk:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I know it ain't the world's most polished game but when you're not in the mood for yet another history simulator it's really a lot of fun to load up an alien world full of bizarre life forms and then ditch your fleshy meat-sacks for the glorious metal silicon future

If someone makes a Civ 6 mod that does that I'd be down, assuming it skipped all the stone age through modern age stuff. I just want my futuristic space society already

khy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 30, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

khy posted:

Is there a Civ:BE thread? Lately I've been on a huge sci-fi kick and was wanting to discuss mods, but all I see is this thread and a mention of Civ 5 in the OP.

There's two significant modders that I'd draw your attention to: Ryika and lilgamefreek. Ryika has a large number of partial and total overhauls that are worth checking out that are largely based on Civ6. lilgamefreek has fewer mods but they're good and mostly based on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Other than those two, there's a wide variety of sponsor mods and minor UI/graphics changes available.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My experience with modding in Civ:BE is that many of them do quite a lot to make the game more fun to play and add interesting features to what was a conservatively designed game. Unfortunately, they also all become borderline unplayable later on due to turn transitions taking forever and I'm not sure if that's the fault of the mods or the underlying game engine.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Super Jay Mann posted:

My experience with modding in Civ:BE is that many of them do quite a lot to make the game more fun to play and add interesting features to what was a conservatively designed game. Unfortunately, they also all become borderline unplayable later on due to turn transitions taking forever and I'm not sure if that's the fault of the mods or the underlying game engine.

It's hard to say. Long gone are the days of moddability that Civ4 had. FFH2 wouldn't be possible anymore.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So the 2 new wonders, which it's awesome are free and in everyone's games, but they're way too OP? +5 resource and other effects? Like just did a game with a friend we had to bail on, cause a neighboring ai had one of em within it's capital borders, with 2x tiles at 5 food 6 gold 4 culture, no improvements. Before that I think a +9 total was the most I'd ever seen. +15x2 as well as a number of other +10x tiles is really excessive.

AI does feel a bit odd too now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So the 2 new wonders, which it's awesome are free and in everyone's games, but they're way too OP? +5 resource and other effects? Like just did a game with a friend we had to bail on, cause a neighboring ai had one of em within it's capital borders, with 2x tiles at 5 food 6 gold 4 culture, no improvements. Before that I think a +9 total was the most I'd ever seen. +15x2 as well as a number of other +10x tiles is really excessive.

That sounds like an awesome multiplayer game because you'd be competing for owning that city the whole game. If a player started with it, that would have been bullshit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I didn't realize the new wonders were in everyone's game, just haven't seen them yet. That said, Bermuda Triangle sounds great. +movement bonus for any naval unit that passes through....and it teleports you halfway across the world.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wait which ones are the new ones?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fountain of Youth, Bermuda Triangle and El Dorado. I haven't seen any in-game, though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What wonder was that? Paititi?

I've seen Fountain of Youth, which was pretty cool but was too out of the way and late game to be useful.

Honestly, with the the apoc mode bumping up eruptions, it's not uncommon to get a few vanilla non-wonder volcano-adjacent tiles around +15. You basically have to keep a builder around to keep rebuilding your poo poo, but the yields are crazy enough to be worth it.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It was Paititi. Turn 1 +15's.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Looks like the Expansion Bundle is on sale for 25% off on the Switch eShop. $39 is a bit more affordable for an expansion than $50.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Organic Lube User posted:

Looks like the Expansion Bundle is on sale for 25% off on the Switch eShop. $39 is a bit more affordable for an expansion than $50.

For PC players it's at $35 on greenmangaming.com for the next 20 hours. Anniversary sale, grab it while it's cheap if you want.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chad Sexington posted:

Honestly, with the the apoc mode bumping up eruptions, it's not uncommon to get a few vanilla non-wonder volcano-adjacent tiles around +15. You basically have to keep a builder around to keep rebuilding your poo poo, but the yields are crazy enough to be worth it.

When they get to that level I tend to just stop bothering. At that point, they're adding like 2 yields on top of the tile's, and the volcano obviously won't let them last longer than a dozen turns or two.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I think I have a better grasp on dams, at least somewhat. The part I was missing was the "River must traverse at least 2 adjacent sides of the future Dam tile."

I am trying to expand beyond Germany, and am playing with Eleanor of France. I am going to try and do some city flipping with her ability, as it sounds fun.

Pinning out my districts is still helping me improve. I think this would be a pretty good setup in my new game, with the government center between six districts. Not getting the campuses to +4 for rationalism is a bummer, but there are no mountains near these cities. Can I dam both of those placements, if they are on the same river?

I do need to work more on knowing when to build each type of district. With germany I pretty much always rushed commercial hubs and hansas first, and then campuses, then theaters. I feel like lacking that extra slot is going to have to make me a bit pickier.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 31, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think those count as different rivers. But it depends on which fork is the same as the bit after they merge.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Fountain of Youth, Bermuda Triangle and El Dorado. I haven't seen any in-game, though.

I meant actual wonders, not natural wonders.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

as long as the rivers are different they can both have dams. mouse over the tiles and the tool-tip will say which river(s) they are adjacent to.

from my current game, the dam is on the colorado, coming down from the science city state. the southern fork is the yukon and so st louis could have it's own dam, bologna could not. (were there any eligible flood plains). i believe the sheep tile would count as colorado for damming purposes, and the taj mahal tile yukon.

as for which districts, if you want to loyalty flip enemy cities prioritise theatre squares for great writer and artists points as you'll want as many great works as possible. then comm hub/harbours for the trade routes which are always useful.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I kinda hate playing this game. I want to play it, but every move I make in the districts / wonder minigame feels like a mistake that I can't take back. I've been watching the Potato McWhiskey videos and streams and he's on some other level where the adjacency bonuses are all known and he sees right away where to put stuff.

There's just way too much overhead and foreknowledge needed to play this game optimally, and optimal playing is how I enjoy these kinds of games.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Duodecimal posted:

I kinda hate playing this game. I want to play it, but every move I make in the districts / wonder minigame feels like a mistake that I can't take back. I've been watching the Potato McWhiskey videos and streams and he's on some other level where the adjacency bonuses are all known and he sees right away where to put stuff.

There's just way too much overhead and foreknowledge needed to play this game optimally, and optimal playing is how I enjoy these kinds of games.

The other thing you should get from his videos is he makes mistakes all the time...and then he'll say "RIP" and keep going. And the more you play, the less times you gently caress up....just like anything else. Besides, Civ VI is literally his job, of course you dont have all the overhead knowledge. But like when you go to place a district down, it will tell you current adjacency bonuses and if you arent satisfied just look at the civilopedia. There is no game you can play optimally without lots of repetition.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My favourite thing to do in this game now since I learned that placing districts down early locks the production cost is to place a load of districts down and cripple my cities cuz they no longer have any workable tiles

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Obvs only my personal opinion: I LIKE that I've played this game for well over 1000 hours and have kept improving my skills at it and I'm still not all that great at it. Once I get to the point where I can play a game completely "optimally," it stops being a game for me and starts being mindless make-work, and I appreciate Civ 6 for being so loving convoluted that that still hasn't happened for me yet.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Welp, guess I know where my second city is going. (there are more Salt tiles just to the west in the desert, I'm going to be the king of Salt when my plan to rush to Petra and a Campus in that mountain crotch leaves me defenseless and I just get reamed by a neighbor)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Duodecimal posted:

You could play with a True Start Location map, where the resources are knowable ahead of time.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I had a very fun game yesterday with France-Eleanor (disclaimer: I'm a scrub that doesn't like too much challenge so I play on Prince, sue me) on a tiny pangaea map; I made only 4 cities and the bare minimum military to not get attacked, then conquered 70% of the continent without ever going to war. AI tends to settle cities very close to each other, so it was just a matter to put theater squares in every city and filling them up with great works, once the first city fell to me it was an unstoppable cascade of "HAY GUYS LET'S BECOME FRENCH OK", building more theater squares in the new cities and moving all the works there. Game was won by 1200AC, after that there was just a lot of clicking next turn, making more cultural buildings, and waiting for my culture and tourism to skyrocket to a 1600AC win

Poor Frederick Barbarossa was my closest neighbor and spent half the game trying to conquer a city state and failing despite his specific bonus to conquering city states :saddowns:

homullus posted:

You could play with a True Start Location map, where the resources are knowable ahead of time.

Hmmm. Is it fun to play a true start map of either Europe or the World? What's a good civ for either? I bet Australia and America are great for World because of lessened competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TorakFade posted:

Hmmm. Is it fun to play a true start map of either Europe or the World? What's a good civ for either? I bet Australia and America are great for World because of lessened competition?

Australia, maybe; they only have the Maori and Indonesia to worry about. America potentially has the Cree, Maya, Aztecs, Mapuche, Inca, Canada, Gran Colombia, and Brazil to contend with, plus any workshop civs you decide to add. And the Maori can of course choose to head to the Americas instead of remaining around Australia.