Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/atom_succeed/status/1267179481879515137?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

Randarkman posted:

That's the drug that doesn't do anything about coronavirus right?

That's the one! Just leads to more deaths.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Randarkman posted:

That's the drug that doesn't do anything about coronavirus right?

Studies so far show it's potentially harmful. There's still a *chance* it may be useful against COVID when administered by a professional but the research doesn't support it yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Welp we're at 5 stars now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

spunkshui posted:

The police now treat the media like black people because of Trump.

Never in my life have I seen a cop point a gun directly at clearly marked media person and shoot but I have seen it at least half a dozen times now.

There should be at least five cops in jail just from pointing directly at reporters and shooting.

They haven’t arrested the other three cops that murdered George Floyd even though we know the entire story they told was whole cloth fabrication.

Until someone comes out and says the police are going to be held accountable I don’t expect anything to change except for maybe literal martial law and China style lockdowns.

id be curious to see if trump calls for martial law in a night or two. the dude is a loving idiot who only understand grand stupid displays of power. i think he will threaten it at least if tonight is bad(it will be).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id be curious to see if trump calls for martial law in a night or two. the dude is a loving idiot who only understand grand stupid displays of power. i think he will threaten it at least if tonight is bad(it will be).

I am sure nothing would get him harder then declaring martial law.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The whole quinine class of drugs have unpleasant side effects: high blood pressure, dizzyness, nausea, ringing in ears, read any account of malaria from the 20th century when this stuff became available and the treatment comes across as almost as bad as the disease.

edit: sorry The Cure are alright

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 31, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If martial law is declared kiss this country goodbye.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not trying to be snarky, but I just see a black van?

Is that one of those microwave pain weapons or sonic deterrents on top?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

like one of the most notable things about this is how nearly universal the outrage has been and these are probably the most deeply diverse protests I can remember seeing in the US. People are loving outraged.

Failboattootoot posted:

I think the unemployment probably has a lot do with it. Just a whole lot of people with nothing to lose who would otherwise stay home if they had to worry about getting fired.

Yep.

People are always outraged, but the combo of 40M people being unemployed right now and the absolute insane egregiousness of this particular case (not that all of them haven't been, but this one was nakedly indefensible even in the darkest corners of poisoned law and order brains) made the protests extremely volatile.

You give a lot of working people a flashpoint of outrage after months of being reminded they are being completely left behind by the 1%....

It's easier to protest when you aren't working 2 or 3 jobs and you have nothing to lose.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

AmiYumi posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1267145030537555974

Mayor of Chicago preemptively shut down all access to or from downtown, which is doubly hosed because it was before noon, with no warning, and there are tons of essential workers trapped now. My partner has no clue how to get home.

Reposting because it got lost at the bottom of a page, and I am so angry at that bootlicker rn

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pro-follow right there, if you don't mind being on the bad brain website.

Jarmak posted:

Honest good faith question:

This thread has been the source for probably 90% of my information on these events and it seems to me like every few pages the thread flips between being enraged about cops/white nationalist plants/agent provocateurs/white people from the suburbs being the real cause of violence/looting to try to frame the media narrative and gives the cops justification for crackdowns or kickoff civil war 2; and being enraged that the news media and/or government officials are blaming the violence on outside agitators (which I would interpret they mean as everyone on that previous list except cops).

My gut feeling would be that both things are probably separately true in different places and at different times, but the sense of outrage at one or the other has left me feeling very confused, especially because the outrage at both of these narratives both makes sense to me... but I also feel like at least in a given circumstance one or the other has to be true so they can't both be bad/wrong?

edit: I know I quoted KM's post but I'm not intending to address the question to her particularly or exclusively

So no group is monolithic and the local context will inform what happens on the ground. Also people will bring their own perspectives into the discussion.

That in mind, your gut feeling is correct - in some places there are random elements who are escalating beyond the limits of what the general community feels called to do as far as destroying things, disrupting things, etc. In other places the general feeling is more inclined to act up and cause some property damage. What is true in both cases is that the cops are provoking protesters or outright attacking them in order to try and reassert their feelings of control. Protests are messy and complex and it's hard to parse out clearly defined left and right limits on who is to blame for [insert thing here]. While these protests were started as a response to the murder of George Floyd, remember that people (Black and otherwise) have been dealing with violence and oppression for a long time - the movement was always going to evolve past the current flashpoint and have to figure out how to reconcile lots of different motivations and grievances. This does not devalue or delegitimize the current protests.

Rather than thinking about it as a binary, look at it like this - there are a lot of protests going on. Some of those protests are proactively destructive (which is right and legitimate) as a reflection of what the community is feeling. Some of them are peaceful but get provoked by the cops into fighting or rioting. Others are peaceful but have to deal with a small percentage of people who want to be destructive. This allows the government, the media, and the cops to have a grab bag of narratives to choose from, which the explicit intent of sapping any momentum out of current protests and demoralizing current or future participants.

"Look, protest in X city was peaceful but unsavory elements from outside the city came in and did bad things or incited bad behavior. If you look at this carefully edited video from Y city, you can see protesters confronting those elements themselves! Pay no attention to protesters in Z city who were knocking things over from the get go, or the fact that we don't interview any of them."

The result is cyclical - the movements are starved of support and popular approval, which allows the government and police to crackdown extremely hard because now they have convinced the public that anyone who is still protesting must be an "outsider" or an "extreme element", rather than a legitimate protester. Inevitably the Black and brown communities who are the center of these movements will get stomped on the worst in the backlash, and distrust will be instilled in many of the groups involved because "oh we could've made some REAL change if only those outside agitators hadn't messed things up". And on and on it goes.

tl;dr: It's possible for both to be true and to be pissed at both, but it's important to keep the context of any given situation in mind and prioritize respecting the agency of the people on the ground to navigate those situations. In either case anyone seeking to destroy things outside the scope of what the protests are actively involved in are extremely, extremely small elements in the larger context of the protests but they are both specifically weaponized to reinforce the justification for structural violence by the police and government as well as disrupt and undermine solidarity among different groups of protests and forestall the growth of the movement into something to truly be reckoned with.

Goddamn this is terrible.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The whole quinine class of drugs have unpleasant side effects: high blood pressure, dizzyness, nausea, ringing in ears, read any account of malaria from the 20th century when this stuff became available and the treatment comes across as almost as bad as the cure.

it also doesnt do dick with to covid and it also fucks up peoples hearts and immune systems apperently.

Djarum posted:

If martial law is declared kiss this country goodbye.

i mean i think he is gonna do it if it goes on/gets worse/etc because its the only thing dumb facists like him know how to do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AmiYumi posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1267145030537555974

Mayor of Chicago preemptively shut down all access to or from downtown, which is doubly hosed because it was before noon, with no warning, and there are tons of essential workers trapped now. My partner has no clue how to get home.

Surely stranding a bunch of minimum wage and demoralized workers won’t backfire and cause more people to join this protest consisting of ***checks notes*** minimum wage and demoralized workers

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anonymous is not loving around

800 email addresses and passwords of Minneapolis PD

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Mayor of St. Paul announced that they were seeing most of the arrests were outside agitators on Saturday morning and retracted his statement around 8:30 PM. In that time it got signal boosted by a lot of people, some of whom should have known better (Joy Reid) but the narrative is now out there. There are photos of pretty obvious NYPD plain clothes cops going around not sure if others around the country have been as easy to identify.

My two cents is that when mass transit of crowds happens it is pretty obvious. Hell, in 1989 when the Romanian government did it the buses ended up on European TV news, and that was a closed communist state under martial law. When Beijing does it in Hong Kong it is very obvious, social media posts photos of the buses hours in advance. So while there are undoubtedly outside groups of various persuasions coming in, sometimes to wreck poo poo, they are not coming in the hundreds or thousands and seem to be coming in personal vehicles.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 31, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nope and it fucks people up too and not in a fun cool way.

And it takes the drug away from people who actually need it like lupus patients.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm fully expecting the Feds to try and arrest protestors and charge them with terrorism offenses to scare everyone else off, even if these will not hold up in court.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1267145904223592448

normally this would just be another log on my rage fire (burning bright since 2016) but good god this in particular is disgustingly infuriating.

I'm not a legal expert by any means but for gently caress's sake, I'm aware that "domestic terrorism" is just language added by the Patriot Act that can be pretty broadly applied by Justice. And that there is no federal charge for "domestic terrorism"; to actually be charged with terrorism you have to be suspected at least in some way of ties to one of the foreign terrorist organizations listed by the State Department.

This is always discussed when it comes to all these homegrown, right-wing extremist orgs and militias, or whenever there is a mass shooting, about how difficult it would be (legally) to get it recognized and charged as "domestic terrorism". But they never do, cause there is no political will to make it really happen.

Barr knows this. This loving toady is just using the phrase cause Trump wants an easy bad guy his base is already primed to believe is behind everything thanks to Fox, and now even if legally it still doesn't matter, they know that by continually applying the phrase they push their narrative. Doesn't even matter that antifa isn't and has never been that kind of organization.

Like, I know this is no surprise to anyone, myself included, that these shitfucks have always been on the side of white nationalists and fascists that make up a core of their base, and even if people had any reasonable doubt the "good people on both sides" should have ended that.

But outright labeling anti-fascists as domestic terrorists? Jesus gently caress. They might as well just slap a sticker on their foreheads that says "Yep, we're the baddies"

Alright, back to listening out my window to quarantined children play in their backyard while police helicoptors and sirens continually sound off in my city. The world is a strange place right now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

AmiYumi posted:

Reposting because it got lost at the bottom of a page, and I am so angry at that bootlicker rn

Cops can't stop being cops. Metra shut down at 3. I have no idea how people are going to get out of there. And all it is going to do is bring the protests to the neighborhoods out of the loop.

In other news, this made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1267183124582215680?s=20

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Not a tank.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

Going to guess the advisors that told him this would be a good idea to say would be Stephen Miller and Kevin McCarthy.

A tactic that famously worked out so well for them trying to get all the inauguration day protesters branded as rioters.

I mean, it kinda did. The protestors beat it but they still had to fight and worry for months (the longest was 18 months) and it cost Trump/Miller nothing

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Arglebargle III posted:

The Mayor of St. Paul announced that they were seeing most of the arrests were outside agitators on Saturday morning and retracted his statement around 8:30 PM. In that time it got signal boosted by a lot of people, some of whom should have known better (Joy Reid) but the narrative is now out there. There are photos of pretty obvious NYPD plain clothes cops going around not sure if others around the country have been as easy to identify.

My two cents is that when mass transit of crowds happens it is pretty obvious. Hell, in 1989 when the Romanian government did it the buses ended up on European TV news, and that was a closed communist state under martial law. When Beijing does it in Hong Kong it is very obvious, social media posts photos of the buses hours in advance. So while there are undoubtedly outside groups of various persuasions coming in, sometimes to wreck poo poo, they are not coming in the hundreds or thousands and seem to be coming in personal vehicles.

The undercover cops in Chicago yesterday were wearing neon yellow wristbands.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

LeeMajors posted:

Yep.

People are always outraged, but the combo of 40M people being unemployed right now and the absolute insane egregiousness of this particular case (not that all of them haven't been, but this one was nakedly indefensible even in the darkest corners of poisoned law and order brains) made the protests extremely volatile.

You give a lot of working people a flashpoint of outrage after months of being reminded they are being completely left behind by the 1%....

It's easier to protest when you aren't working 2 or 3 jobs and you have nothing to lose.

Honestly, the usual cop playbook for shutting this stuff down requires that a sufficiently large part of the mostly-white population they care about believes everything is mostly okay or maybe just needs a little bit of reform. That way, when someone does something they can frame as violent (be it provoked or manufactured), they can clamp down with overwhelming force, and the populace at large can check out because well, they may have had a point but they did get violent...

Obviously, the overwhelming force part is still happening, and some people are buying the line, but right now it's very hard to sell people that everything is mostly ok, because most people are already feeling scared and uncertain.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Anonymous is not loving around

800 email addresses and passwords of Minneapolis PD

drat, start archiving those messages immediately. Gotta be some ugly poo poo from higher-ups in there.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

mdemone posted:

drat, start archiving those messages immediately. Gotta be some ugly poo poo from higher-ups in there.
Well hopefully they did that before releasing the addresses and passwords, but yeah this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ooohh, so that's what I'm hearing.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I’ve tried to watch this a bunch of times but I don’t see a tank. West Philly is going wild though

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

paternity suitor posted:

I’ve tried to watch this a bunch of times but I don’t see a tank. West Philly is going wild though

Looks like a furniture van.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1267185107980496896

the king is mad at my state.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So is tonight going to get worse? Or will it slow down? Or will protestors start showing up armed?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

"Tank" just means "millitary vehicle" to people. I think it's that big black mrap making all that noise.

Also, since when have the police made all their poo poo black? You can tell the difference between the cops and the guard because the cops look like bad guys because they're all in black and wear stuff to obscure their face.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LionArcher posted:

So is tonight going to get worse? Or will it slow down? Or will protestors start showing up armed?

I don't see de-escalation any time in the near future.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Why is he congratulating himself over the governor calling the guard?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52869504

quote:

In the CBS interview, lawyer Benjamin Crump also said "we now have the audio from the police bodycam and we hear where one officer says 'he doesn't have a pulse, maybe we should turn him on his side', but yet officer Chauvin says 'no, we're going to keep him in this position'. That's intent.

"Also, the fact that officer Chauvin kept his knee on his neck for almost three minutes after he was unconscious."

The lawyer also said Mr Chauvin and Mr Floyd already knew each other before Mr Floyd's death in custody.

He said the Floyd family was "notified by the owner of a club that Derek Chauvin was an off-duty police officer where George Floyd was a security guard, and so they had to overlap".

The union is going to burn in hell because of this murderer

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LionArcher posted:

probably not armed but philly and a ton of other places is gonna have another fun night. its not gonna slow down for a while.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Grondoth posted:

"Tank" just means "millitary vehicle" to people. I think it's that big black mrap making all that noise.

Also, since when have the police made all their poo poo black? You can tell the difference between the cops and the guard because the cops look like bad guys because they're all in black and wear stuff to obscure their face.

It's intimidation the whole way down. The military at least has. A semblance of practicality.

The cops have been subverted by Punisher and Us Vs Them mentality.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Cleveland is apparently already under curfew, and has been since noon. Not sure what people are doing in the surrounding area right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tae posted:

holy loving poo poo. they should hang this pig in the street. gently caress this murderer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LionArcher posted:

Whenever the footage of Floyd getting beat up in the back of the cop car hits the news, things are gonna really get crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Tae posted:

I wonder if he reflexively lied in his report about initiating CPR, as cops are prone (trained?) to do.