Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So you can try to do murder one as long as where you live is blood red politically and you have the right motivation and skin color, cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I really really hope this is a sign of things to come. Police need to start actually policing their own ranks. Good Chiefs need to kick out the racists and bad cops. DAs need to start charging cops when its clear excessive force. Bad cops need to get fired more. And not reinstated cuz of a lawsuit. Laws need to change at the state and federal level. Federally mandated standards, DOJ oversight and mandatory use of force reporting down to the "gently put your hands on them to cuff them" level.

This is a good first step in some communities. I really hope this spreads. And I really hope this is a sign of things to come. This poo poo has never happened before. It is really good. But it's not enough - it has to continue.

Hopefully it's not just a cynical display on their end. All those things you list would be nice, but if the cops kneel with protestors one day then continue to hold the line on race and class oppression the next that doesn't mean anything. The largest police departments in the country have done nothing but escalate these protests on the ground, with their leadership and usually local politicians defending if not outright encouraging them. But even if you do by some miracle get to a point of accountability, the structure of the law enforcement system in general means that it perpetuates those class and racial divides if everyone behaves by the book.

And not sure what you expect from the DOJ, the executive branch is also clearly on the side of the skull-crackers. You would be fooling yourself to expect anything but empty rhetoric on police accountability from Trump and Barr and that bunch.

I mean, it would be nice if you were right. But it's hard to see these photos as anything other than PR.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

So you can try to do murder one as long as where you live is blood red politically and you have the right motivation and skin color, cool

There is literally nothing new about this

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey guys, I know you all hate police, but this is good poo poo

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1266895422397779968?s=19
https://twitter.com/HAlex1972/status/1266925954720501761?s=19
https://twitter.com/NHRunningLady/status/1266931730428166144?s=19
https://twitter.com/MsTinkKalua/status/1266939223711428610?s=19

I really really hope this is a sign of things to come. Police need to start actually policing their own ranks. Good Chiefs need to kick out the racists and bad cops. DAs need to start charging cops when its clear excessive force. Bad cops need to get fired more. And not reinstated cuz of a lawsuit. Laws need to change at the state and federal level. Federally mandated standards, DOJ oversight and mandatory use of force reporting down to the "gently put your hands on them to cuff them" level.

This is a good first step in some communities. I really hope this spreads. And I really hope this is a sign of things to come. This poo poo has never happened before. It is really good. But it's not enough - it has to continue.

https://youtu.be/tMML5R1sIBk

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A tea shop was burned down in DC. This is the shop’s response:

https://twitter.com/teaismateahouse/status/1266947966507585545?s=21

They’ve got my business and I will donate to help them rebuild.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 31, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's antifascist volunteers fighting ISIS

More to the point, antifascism is more of an ideology than an organization. There's some loose communication about how to best wash tear gas out of your eyes and such, but no one is taking orders from a non-existent antifa leadership like what the president is implying. Basically this is a group of Kurds (if reverse image search is to be trusted) that raised an antifa flag because, get this, they were fighting fascists. If they're associated with an actual group it's probably the YPG.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Is there any kind of qualified immunity for a police union? I would think no.
[/quote]

Keep in mind the (very) general idea behind qualified immunity is (supposed to be) that by the nature of their jobs as agents of the state police do things which would be grounds for lawsuits for anyone else but for it being done under the authority of the state, and as they are not clairvoyant constitutional scholars they should not be treated as if they revert to acting as private citizens if upon review a court rules the state did not have authority to do whatever they did. Therefore under qualified immunity the principle is that as long as a cop is acting in good faith as an agent of the state in accordance with what the state says it's authority is than the state is where the liability resides.

In principle this makes a lot of sense and probably should exist in some form.

In practice it has been stretched to the point you can basically drop the "qualified" from the term because you'll have an easier time getting criminal charges than piercing QI because for the cops ignorance of the law has been made to be such a complete defense that you basically need the fucker to write down in their journal that they intentionally violated someone's rights.

So when it comes to conduct that has nothing to do with exercising state authority QI doesn't really apply (I'm sure there are very specific exceptions because in the law there always are).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The important thing is that you usually can't sue the state either. Ideally it should be: were someone's right's violated: if so, was it something that cop did criminally/negligently - yes hes liable. no, the department is liable. Qualified immunity should only determine who has to write the check.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

The important thing is that you usually can't sue the state either. Ideally it should be: were someone's right's violated: if so, was it something that cop did criminally/negligently - yes hes liable. no, the department is liable. Qualified immunity should only determine who has to write the check.

I'm not sure what you mean by that because people can and do sue the state over police misconduct all the time, but I also don't want to outright disagree in case you're not talking as a matter of law (i.e. if you're saying you usually can't sue the state because of evidence/racism/access to justice issues).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that because people can and do sue the state over police misconduct all the time, but I also don't want to outright disagree in case you're not talking as a matter of law (i.e. if you're saying you usually can't sue the state because of evidence/racism/access to justice issues).

Yeah I meant practically not technically.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hopefully it's not just a cynical display on their end. All those things you list would be nice, but if the cops kneel with protestors one day then continue to hold the line on race and class oppression the next that doesn't mean anything. The largest police departments in the country have done nothing but escalate these protests on the ground, with their leadership and usually local politicians defending if not outright encouraging them. But even if you do by some miracle get to a point of accountability, the structure of the law enforcement system in general means that it perpetuates those class and racial divides if everyone behaves by the book.

And not sure what you expect from the DOJ, the executive branch is also clearly on the side of the skull-crackers. You would be fooling yourself to expect anything but empty rhetoric on police accountability from Trump and Barr and that bunch.

I mean, it would be nice if you were right. But it's hard to see these photos as anything other than PR.

Oh, absolutely - I'm talking about hopefully yhe next administration. Obviously Trump and Barr won't do poo poo. We'd see a civil insurrection before they did that poo poo.

But I'm trying to be optimistic, even though I'm normally a pessimist. The cynic in me agrees that it might be a PR move. But I really hope we're wrong, and I really hope it's the start of reform.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Antifa is closer to neighborhood watch than anything else, and it's probably even more loosely organized than that. If there was one "thing" to point to as a single structure it would be stuff like leaflets of protesting tips and tricks that get passed around to educate people. Outside of that the entire organizational structure is "Jimmy on tenth street says Nazi shits are trashing the place, we gotta gently caress 'em up that's our neighborhood."

Why the powers that be would want a domestic forever war against a nebulous concept that can not be identified and never be defeated while linking it to any and all forms of political opposition in the name of "national security" I leave up to each individual's discretion.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Why the powers that be would want a domestic forever war against a nebulous concept that can not be identified and never be defeated while linking it to any and all forms of political opposition in the name of "national security" I leave up to each individual's discretion.

Oh poo poo, it's the War on Drugs Terrorism all over again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Antifa is closer to neighborhood watch than anything else, and it's probably even more loosely organized than that. If there was one "thing" to point to as a single structure it would be stuff like leaflets of protesting tips and tricks that get passed around to educate people. Outside of that the entire organizational structure is "Jimmy on tenth street says Nazi shits are trashing the place, we gotta gently caress 'em up that's our neighborhood."

Yeah, its terrifying because that means that literally anyone and everyone that dislikes the police can be whisked away. People are already being lit up for sitting on the front porches, something explicitly allowed by the governor's order and its only going to get worse before it gets better.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZsYe5Uwg0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Oh poo poo, it's the War on Drugs Terrorism all over again.

We have always been at war with Terrorism.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
DC Protest livestream is back up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5OSZhw41s

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Looks like that campaign to elect Trump was 100% successful in its goals

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

these guys are better equipped than non SF military units

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Wouldn't be 2020 without l'Ancien Régime lending their copious experience in dealing with the restless underclass:

https://twitter.com/louisducdanjou/status/1266578058452054016

"As the heir of a family that's been kicked out of power by popular revolution not once, but seven separate times in multiple countries, let me tell you: revolution is bad".

Somebody tell this dude the only Bourbon that's still has any moral authority is Felipe VI and he threw that poo poo in the trash back when Catalonia half-heartedly seperated from Spain in 2017. Nowadays, he spends his time taking 'donations' from the Saudi royal family and refusing to give any of that money he whored from that family to his country. Good job guys, I'm sure one day you'll surely be once again perched on a royal throne.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
mountains of riot gear and grenades while medical staff is using trash bags and PPE.

amazing country we've got here

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

PookBear posted:

Have they just said gently caress and rolling with 5.56s now?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Protestors in Indiana say they were shot by police. Police say there were no officer involved shootings.

Police don’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore though so my answer is yes, cops have started using live rounds.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 31, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I could see boogaloo boys joining in but the easy most likely correct answer is the cops.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not caring here posted:

Have they just said gently caress and rolling with 5.56s now?

Yes. We live in post fascist America.

We need to stand up now because this poo poo is bad. Go down there and BE the peaceful protests.

Some of us will be hurt, get sick, arrested but it did not stop us in the past and we should not let these people take our country over, and they're more than comfortable with violence.

We need to show America what voices are more common.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the Boogaloo Brigade are overwhelmingly cowards, though, so definitely police

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

the Boogaloo Brigade are overwhelmingly cowards, though, so definitely police

What if both?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I could see boogaloo boys joining in but the easy most likely correct answer is the cops.

The group being protested against for needlessly using lethal force is probably still needlessly using lethal force.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
30 mins out from the Miami protest at americna airlines on biscayne where the heat play. Snapchat looks like its poppin. Bunch of my friends posting insta stories. 4 of us plus a lawyer

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Woofer posted:

Protestors in Indiana say they were shot by police. Police say there were no officer involved shootings.

Police don’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore though so my answer is yes, cops have started using live rounds.

I mean by now, probably.

There were also 2 incidents of protesters getting shot by unknown suspects (probably not police-white-nationalists) in in two other places. One was a quick drive by, the other unknown where the shooters were.

It's going to get worse, both from the nazi groups, and from the police.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 31, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
White America: political movement names itself after a famous act of vandalism.

Also white America: I don't agree with all this vandalism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/blokesface/status/1267197889098416128?s=19

Don't forget this poo poo while you're taking in the HUGE AMOUNTS OF CHAOS chyron crawls over a single burned out building....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not that it diminishes your point, but worth pointing out those were all stations owned by Sinclair, a notorious conservative shitbag trump-backing company. It was mildly controversial when it happened and a bunch of people quit. Though to no avail.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2018/4/2/17189302/sinclair-broadcast-fake-news-biased-trump-viral-video

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

PookBear posted:

Wtf is going on with the end of the barrel though, it seems tiny. Like is that just the supressor making it look weird or what?

E) it makes it look like it should be firing .22 or something :psyduck:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 31, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wtf is going on with the end of the barrel though, it seems tiny. Like is that just the supressor making it look weird or what?

yeah

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

E) it makes it look like it should be firing .22 or something :psyduck:

The suppressor has a heat resistant cover around it to prevent it burning anything it touches after a mag or two. 5.56mm is the same diameter as 22lr so the exit hole is gonna be the same size.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Oh hey remember two weeks five lifetimes ago?

https://twitter.com/jhermann/status/1266880869077262336

edit source:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1255524216562221057

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Let me preface this by saying what I am attempting to discuss is not some kind of Tucker Carlson-esque idea that there is hypocrisy in the reaction to police brutality based on the race of the victim. What I am trying to figure out is why a case that is much less ambiguous, a case that had the entire, unredacted bodycam footage released on Youtube, garners almost not response. Is it just because it's a poor man in a small town in a backwater state? Is it because that a white man being killed by white police in a majority white state doesn't really have a racial component to it and therefore isn't as newsworthy?

The following footage is :nms: and :nws:. I've watched it with a nurse and a paramedic, both people who know people in the department involved, and their opinion is that even though the victim has drugs in his system, his death was a direct result of how the police positioned him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfDvbTDVpNU

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Body-camera-footage-released-in-death-of-Maquoketa-man-567283151.html

article posted:

On June 15, 2019, Owen and Schroeder responded to an altercation involving Edwards at a home on West Apple Street.

Investigators say Edwards resisted arrest and a Taser was used.

When that didn’t work, they had to hold him down to try and get him handcuffed, according to investigators.

Investigators say soon after his arrest, Edwards began showing signs of a medical episode, and they called for emergency medical help.

He died at a local hospital. The autopsy showed Edwards died of cardiac arrest and had methamphetamine, ecstasy, and marijuana in his system.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation investigated the incident and Muscatine County Attorney Alan Ostergren, who was asked to conduct a review due to staffing issues in the attorney general’s office, cleared the officers of criminal wrongdoing.
TV-6 reached out to Ostergren about the lawsuit. He declined to comment.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

my kinda ape posted:

The suppressor has a heat resistant cover around it to prevent it burning anything it touches after a mag or two. 5.56mm is the same diameter as 22lr so the exit hole is gonna be the same size.

Oh huh, for some reason I thought 22 was way smaller diameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/deantrippe/status/1266914617277718533