Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Without contact tracing, opening up is just a crapshoot. And I don't think a single state is in a position to implement widespread contact tracing.

I remember Governor Abbot here in Texas saying we would implement contact tracing when we opened up. I found the proposition laughable with the current numbers of new cases and it was never mentioned again as far as I am aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

coronavirus posted:

I'm not blaming the protestors for anything. Some things are more important than worrying about a virus with .2 IFR . Like protesting the murder of an innocent black guy.

.2% IFR is a bullshit number for a scenario that doesn't remotely resemble what is happening in the US.

Do you actually read anything or just cherry pick poo poo that you feel backs you own narrative?

It's ok, you don't need to answer that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

coronavirus posted:

Alex Jones got 99.9% of things wrong, but holy gently caress did he end up being right about their being a hollywood and high level politics pedophile cabal.

Honesty my worldview shattered when he filmed rich politicians having secret societies and doing weird poo poo in the middle of the woods

AJ might be crazy or schizophrenic but now I hear him talk about “energy vampires from another dimension who want to destroy us and rape our children in order to win a multi epoch war” well buddy I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wisconsin has been open for maybe 2 weeks now and there's a report that my city's health department put out that lists 7 businesses having cases including 4 bars.

:thunk:
That’s all on the State Supreme Court and the GOP State Legislature

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Honesty my worldview shattered when he filmed rich politicians having secret societies and doing weird poo poo in the middle of the woods

Bohemian Grove? Nixon was mocking that nonsense 40 years ago.

Conspiracy theories about secretive cabals of elites controlling society are ridiculous because the ruling class isn't even trying to hide it. And the conspiracy nuts are often the first to line up behind those open authoritarians.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The rich and powerful already figured out the trick to getting away with anything is team politics and good old fashioned patronage networks. You can't let your team's politicians be punished for their criminality because the other party's politicians might win - and they're a bunch of criminals!

I am still hoping against my better judgement that there will be reprecussions for the blatant profiteering, corruption, and wilful negligence in the Federal COVID-19 response.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s all on the State Supreme Court and the GOP State Legislature

Bingo!

Especially Robin Vos and Scott Fitzgerald. Known gently caress heads.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Conspiracy theories about secretive cabals of elites controlling society are ridiculous because the ruling class isn't even trying to hide it. And the conspiracy nuts are often the first to line up behind those open authoritarians.

Not to mention that the system we’ve built and rebuild (or allow to be built) is already scary and sinister – and all the moreso without some shadowy cabal of ~~~globalist lizard bankers~~~]} steering it. Like, it’s so much worse when you build your own cage, think you benefit from the imprisonment and can’t imagine another way, let alone desire one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Conspiracy theories about secretive cabals of elites controlling society are ridiculous because the ruling class isn't even trying to hide it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bingo!

Especially Robin Vos and Scott Fitzgerald. Know gently caress heads.
Just for people who forget, the legislature didn’t want restrictions, the Governor obviously wasn’t going to stop having them, so they sued and the GOP SC in that state just threw them all out.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I always found it hilarious how the nutjobs will bend over backwards to take something very obvious and out in the open, and try and make it more outlandish, unfeasible, and secretive so that their brains can accept it. I guess the fact that there are billionaires and corporations openly influencing policy for the government is just too much reality for their brains to take. It's like the people commenting on the Panama Papers, "why are there no US billionaires and companies on the list. . . oh! They must be so secretive that the're another layer or two hidden under the Panama Paper stuff". No! They're rich US people/businesses, the entire system is designed so that they don't have to do anything illegal to keep every cent they make and also receive government handouts.

It's sort of like how a contact tracing app wouldn't work, as so many people would assume that it was being used for nefarious purposes, despite most of them intentionally posting any possible info an app could want freely and probably with much more frequency and detail through social media or the use of a variety of apps.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just for people who forget, the legislature didn’t want restrictions, the Governor obviously wasn’t going to stop having them, so they sued and the GOP SC in that state just threw them all out.

With no plan whatsoever. Governor Evers is doing everything he can with one hand tied behind his back. People are going to blame him for loving this up when it's ALL the republican's fault. He's fighting tooth an nail to get everyone testing and stepping up contact tracing.

If I want a test for covid-19. Right now. No symptoms. I can get one. For free. About a 5 minute drive from me.

That's how good of a job he's doing. And it's definitely only him that is doing it. The legislature is republican run and they're just doing whatever they can to stop him doing anything. No reason. No plan at all. Nothing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bohemian grove is exactly what nixon said. it's just where rich republicans go to gently caress each other. some don't and it's just for getting drunk away from their wives and peeing outside

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pick posted:

bohemian grove is exactly what nixon said. it's just where rich republicans go to gently caress each other. some don't and it's just for getting drunk away from their wives and peeing outside

Psh like I would believe a rich girl who is clearly part of the cabal

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

alex jones is a great showman but honestly his original content is really weak

so everything he says has a grain of truth in it by means of being sourced from actual news

all he has to do is read the headline but not the article, and the rest writes itself

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Blistex posted:

No! They're rich US people/businesses, the entire system is designed so that they don't have to do anything illegal to keep every cent they make and also receive government handouts.

You don't even have to look further than the pandemic response. On one hand, you have people proclaiming that it's some inexplicable combination of 5G and vaccines so that Bill Gates can take more power. On the other hand, you have Congress almost unanimously passing what is easily the biggest transfer of wealth to the rich since the financial crisis, with bonus mismanagement and cronyism from the administration for some extra looting of public money.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You don't even have to look further than the pandemic response. On one hand, you have people proclaiming that it's some inexplicable combination of 5G and vaccines so that Bill Gates can take more power. On the other hand, you have Congress almost unanimously passing what is easily the biggest transfer of wealth to the rich since the financial crisis, with bonus mismanagement and cronyism from the administration for some extra looting of public money.

Conspiracy nuts don't want to read a PDF that clearly outlines every cent going to billionaires with included dates and names, they want to hear a guy with his mouth chock full of Skoal Bandits talking about secret societies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coronavirus posted:

I'm not blaming the protestors for anything. Some things are more important than worrying about a virus with .2 IFR . Like protesting the murder of an innocent black guy.

0.2?

So it’s going to kill one fifth of people it infects?

Yooge, if true.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Platystemon posted:

0.2?

So it’s going to kill one fifth of people it infects?

Yooge, if true.

Percent. So one in five hundred. Which still produces horrifying numbers when applied to a population of 300 million

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FoolyCharged posted:

Percent. So one in five hundred. Which still produces horrifying numbers when applied to a population of 300 million

But also a number that isn't really backed by the results in countries that can actually test sufficiently

Like, the US death to infection rate is higher than the actual rate and that because the US currently has a 6% fatality rate nationwide for all verified tests, compared the 2% in places like SK which can actually perform enough tests

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My apologies if this has been talked about before but there's news coming out that there's a possibility that the novel coronavirus is a blood vessel virus, not just pulmonary.

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't read that but they've been saying stuff about blood clots for a little while now. So it can possibly kill you in more ways than making you drown in your own fluids.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I didn't read that but they've been saying stuff about blood clots for a little while now. So it can possibly kill you in more ways than making you drown in your own fluids.

In the article, it states it starts in the lungs, destroys them and goes into the blood vessels from there and then causes the things like people dying of a stroke or the "Covid Toes" symptom (I hate that name so much...).

Apparently, a blood vessel disease that's also a pulmonary disease is very, very rare.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ThermoPhysical posted:

In the article, it states it starts in the lungs, destroys them and goes into the blood vessels from there and then causes the things like people dying of a stroke or the "Covid Toes" symptom (I hate that name so much...).

Apparently, a blood vessel disease that's also a pulmonary disease is very, very rare.

I'm sure those will not be counted as covid deaths now. :thumbsup:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ThermoPhysical posted:

My apologies if this has been talked about before but there's news coming out that there's a possibility that the novel coronavirus is a blood vessel virus, not just pulmonary.

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

I haven't seen anyone claim this anywhere except for this random medium article.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
NEJM had a study comparing the lungs of people killed by covid to influenza pneumonia about a week ago. The big difference in the covid lungs was a lot of little blood clots and widespread angiogenesis (basically the body trying to grow new capillaries). Taken together it seems to imply that advanced covid (and maybe the resulting prolonged inflammation and cytokine storm) is rupturing cells around the capillaries in your lungs and the body is reacting by trying to clot off the ruptures and grow new pathways.

I do think there is an important distinction between infections that remain largely confined to the nasal/throat area (contagious but either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic , tend to resolve in ~5 days like a normal coronavirus/cold) versus the virus establishing an infection deeper in your lungs which results in a much longer and more severe illness.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if the police didn't want nationwide riots to happen during the pandemic maybe they shouldn't have murdered another black guy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

poverty goat posted:

if the police didn't want nationwide riots to happen during the pandemic maybe they shouldn't have murdered another black guy

:aaaaa:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

NEJM had a study comparing the lungs of people killed by covid to influenza pneumonia about a week ago. The big difference in the covid lungs was a lot of little blood clots and widespread angiogenesis (basically the body trying to grow new capillaries). Taken together it seems to imply that advanced covid (and maybe the resulting prolonged inflammation and cytokine storm) is rupturing cells around the capillaries in your lungs and the body is reacting by trying to clot off the ruptures and grow new pathways.

I do think there is an important distinction between infections that remain largely confined to the nasal/throat area (contagious but either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic , tend to resolve in ~5 days like a normal coronavirus/cold) versus the virus establishing an infection deeper in your lungs which results in a much longer and more severe illness.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787

This seems like the study you found, but there's a lot of cases of patients with COVID-19 dying of a stroke.

I got that study just by Googling "covid-19 stroke".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/health/coronavirus-strokes.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7187846/

Anyway, yeah, it looks like COVID-19 might cause strokes, which if that's the case, a blood vessel disease might not be far off.

Also, the stroke deaths were reported,

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787

This seems like the study you found, but there's a lot of cases of patients with COVID-19 dying of a stroke.

I got that study just by Googling "covid-19 stroke".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/health/coronavirus-strokes.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7187846/

Anyway, yeah, it looks like COVID-19 might cause strokes, which if that's the case, a blood vessel disease might not be far off.

Also, the stroke deaths were reported,

Not sure what you're arguing here. Widespread clots in the lungs would directly lead to strokes. All you need is an emboli to dislodge into circulation.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

coronavirus posted:

Nice bait!

By the way, you can protest and wear a mask at the same time. Many people aren't doing it. Any ounce of preventative measure this country might have had a week ago is gone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Not sure what you're arguing here. Widespread clots in the lungs would directly lead to strokes. All you need is an emboli to dislodge into circulation.

Oh sorry, that wasn't really in response to you. Was more in response to Pennywise and Bias Two.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

central dogma posted:

Nice bait!

By the way, you can protest and wear a mask at the same time. Many people aren't doing it. Any ounce of preventative measure this country might have had a week ago is gone.

seeing way more masks now than I did at those pathetic lockdown protests

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

central dogma posted:

Nice fanfiction. Most people at protests are wearing masks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Nice fanfiction. Most people at protests are wearing masks.

What type of mask offers the best combines protection against covid and tear gas?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gay picnic defence posted:

What type of mask offers the best combines protection against covid and tear gas?

Full face respirator with P100/organic vapor cartridges

Thanks for the confirmation, CDC.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

There Bias Two posted:

I haven't seen anyone claim this anywhere except for this random medium article.

I've seen this claimed for at least two weeks, alongside with countless testimonies this is the weirdest pulmonary virus doctors have ever seen.

Also it seems to explain a lot of other symptoms people may have. Like the virus infecting other organs than the respiratory system. But I'm not a doctor.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I've seen this claimed for at least two weeks, alongside with countless testimonies this is the weirdest pulmonary virus doctors have ever seen.

Also it seems to explain a lot of other symptoms people may have. Like the virus infecting other organs than the respiratory system. But I'm not a doctor.

I read about a recent study involving pregnant women and injury being seen in the placentas of Covid-19 positive patients after giving birth. The babies all seemed fine and healthy, but the placentas were damaged, which would impact blood flow from mother to baby. It’s being cited as a reason to monitor pregnant women more closely.

It seems that a vascular illness makes sense if it’s causing injury to placentas.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

Maybe survivors of Covid19 will have mutant offspring that can breathe underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
They're doing temperature checks at my work with a forehead scanner, 100.4 and you get sent home. Mine was 92.3 and then 91.9 on a second check, very rude of the dispatcher to make me sign in when I am clearly dead.