Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1267138159852179457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also the folks saying no one in the class has personalities is loving wild

yeah, 3/4ths of them don't have any arcs to speak of, and of that probably about a 1/4 could disappear and you wouldn't notice for a couple dozen chapters, but they all have really distinct personalities, which is a big part of why i think horikoshi is rad

like the design and personality of the dozens of side characters are all diverse enough that you can recognize random mooks who showed up for background crowd control a hundred chapters ago

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they have personalities in the same way the cast of chrono cross had personalities

one gimmick/quirk (haha) layered over a homogenous mass of soft and sweet marshmallow fluff

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The main class all have pretty distinct personalities and instantly recognisable designs. It's probably one of the biggest strengths of the series.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
When you decide to do superhero Hogwarts, you can either focus on Harry and his friends or try and turn the entire class into something resembling actual characters

I don't bedgrudge the tertiary members of 1-A their screentime (except Mineta) but I do have my doubts if the approach present in the manga is optimal. That being said, I'm not drawing it, and it's still pretty good, so y'know whatever!

also is toga supposed to have Joker-esque "No real training of remarkable physicality, but can somehow shiv just about anybody" powers?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

When you decide to do superhero Hogwarts, you can either focus on Harry and his friends or try and turn the entire class into something resembling actual characters

I don't bedgrudge the tertiary members of 1-A their screentime (except Mineta) but I do have my doubts if the approach present in the manga is optimal. That being said, I'm not drawing it, and it's still pretty good, so y'know whatever!

also is toga supposed to have Joker-esque "No real training of remarkable physicality, but can somehow shiv just about anybody" powers?

toga's always been one of the league's powerhouses despite having no formal training besides Love of Stabbing, yes

in terms of sheer lethality she was probably outclassed only by dabi and shigaraki (before the debut of sad man's parade ofc)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wanna say there was a line in one of the older chapters of someone saying she's must have gotten training from somewhere. There's still plenty of her backstory left to explore in the future(What happened after she ran away from home? When did she actually start killing people? What exactly was her relationship with that Not-Deku kid she stabbed in high school?).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Toga is fast as poo poo. If you don't have a speed quirk then you're getting your throat cut.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wanna say there was a line in one of the older chapters of someone saying she's must have gotten training from somewhere. There's still plenty of her backstory left to explore in the future(What happened after she ran away from home? When did she actually start killing people? What exactly was her relationship with that Not-Deku kid she stabbed in high school?).

She claimed that her ninja vanish trick was taught at Shiketsu when she was pretending to be Cammy.

Turned out they don't teach it there.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I knew she was gonna turn into a knife tornado. Lookit her go.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This is the reason why I though her using Ochako's quirk against the liberation army was silly. The knife is objectively better!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Toga has had training, it's why she can hide her presence. If Shigaraki is defeated and not saved as the final boss of the series it would be nice to see Toga become the primary antagonist for a bit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
lol the word echoing in Shigaraki's head that was "do it" in the fan translation is part of "destroy" in the official translation

it's almost like fantranslations are completely pointless for discussion due to how much they completely gently caress up basic things!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Do it is canon and it's in palpatine's voice

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blockhouse posted:

lol the word echoing in Shigaraki's head that was "do it" in the fan translation is part of "destroy" in the official translation

it's almost like fantranslations are completely pointless for discussion due to how much they completely gently caress up basic things!
Remember, this is the bottom of the barrel of fan translations who are rushing scans on something already getting official translations, just for some fleeting clicks. All the worthwhile fanslaters are probably on spinoffs or just other series entirely. You know, on actual passion projects, not shady ad-click hunts.

Basically, these people are in the Venn diagram between “doing it for the money” and “not good enough to get a job doing it for the money”.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 31, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 'good' scanlators are a dead breed, killed through the evolutionary pressure of "free official poo poo".

Nonexistence posted:

Do it is canon and it's in palpatine's voice

gently caress, now All For One has Palpatine's voice in my head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The 'good' scanlators are a dead breed, killed through the evolutionary pressure of "free official poo poo".
They've just moved onto things besides manga.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Deku: 45%, and some absolutely incredible showing as a hero, including rescuing an entire loving bus, and even more people.
Toga: Gearing up to have a big moment, and probably kill a LOT of heroes
Twice: All but confirmed killed
Shigaraki: Full completing his transformation into the new Symbol of Evil.
Bakugo: Shows up in one panel saving a child

Thread: BAKUGO DISCOURSE
He didn't even enter the conversation organically! Someone just posted about how much they hate him for no apparent reason!

Anyway, I'm still waiting with bated breath to see just how much worse Toga's gonna get now that one of her besties is KIA.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't believe I'm saying this, but can we go back to Toga discourse?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's Toga discourse?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, it's all about how whether you should put on underwear or free-ball it, like with kilts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's Toga discourse?

The discourse is that she's cool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A meeting of Toga fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cmWK1uRu4

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

In retrospect, sending one guy alone to capture the girl capable of appearing like anyone she gets the blood of was a poor idea.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The important part is to believe him without question when he comes back alone and says he totally got her.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
To be fair that guy took out Toga and Compress no problem, he only ate it cause Hawks's mission went sideways.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Now is the time for unpopular hero Badtasting Bloodman to shine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The discourse is that she's cool.

Good discourse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Libra posted:

Now is the time for unpopular hero Badtasting Bloodman to shine.

So THAT'S why Denji was on this raid!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Good discourse.

I hope she gets justice for The Assassination of the hero Twice by the Coward Hawk

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope she gets justice for The Assassination of the hero Twice by the Coward Hawk

:yeah:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope Toga gets TK'd by Dabi, the best character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Caidin posted:

I hope Toga gets TK'd by Dabi, the best character.

I don't, but at the same time it would be pretty amazing if Dabi was indirectly involved in most of his teammates' capture/demise.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I don't, but at the same time it would be pretty amazing if Dabi was indirectly involved in most of his teammates' capture/demise.

Shigaraki tells Dabi to shoot Deku with their last quirk destroying bullet but he's a terrible aim and opps! He hit Shiggy right in the eye.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dabi throws a rock, starting a Rube Goldberg series of events that lead to Compress exploding.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The big problem with Bakugou is that he's not very marketable. Yeah, he'll help pull people out of a river or stop a bus from plowing into an elementary school but if the guy who's saving people's lives is an rear end in a top hat no one can make money off of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The big problem with Bakugou is that he's not very marketable. Yeah, he'll help pull people out of a river or stop a bus from plowing into an elementary school but if the guy who's saving people's lives is an rear end in a top hat no one can make money off of that.

being an rear end in a top hat is endeavor's Brand, there's a market for everything

it'd be a pain in the rear end to get a decent photo-op out of him, but any publicist would be salivating at a hero who can produce hollywood-tier explosions on a whim

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Every good promo needs a heel.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

being an rear end in a top hat is endeavor's Brand, there's a market for everything

it'd be a pain in the rear end to get a decent photo-op out of him, but any publicist would be salivating at a hero who can produce hollywood-tier explosions on a whim

I'm suddenly reminded of the side bit in one of the volumes about All Might doll sales vs Endeavor ones:

(500 Yen is about $4.64)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugo has the PR difficulty of Endeavor without all the traumatic parenting techniques!

Bakugo isn't a parent but I still feel pretty confident in saying that!