Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think he's asking if it'll kill him, he's asking what he can do with plain ground beef he's already cooked.

Thanks for the attempted save, but no.

Look, I KNOW its fine, it smelled fine, 4 day thaw is no big deal, etc. etc.
I was just curious about exactly how I might die if I were to eat seriously rotten beef.

Like, I know how you can get sick from contamination from someone not washing their hands, or making GBS threads in the fields or whatever, but what if I had otherwise clean beef, and just left it in my fridge too long? What's the poison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thanks for the attempted save, but no.

Look, I KNOW its fine, it smelled fine, 4 day thaw is no big deal, etc. etc.
I was just curious about exactly how I might die if I were to eat seriously rotten beef.

Like, I know how you can get sick from contamination from someone not washing their hands, or making GBS threads in the fields or whatever, but what if I had otherwise clean beef, and just left it in my fridge too long? What's the poison?

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/diseases/index.html

The big one with ground beef is E Coli but there's a huge variety of foodborne illnesses.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Does anyone have a chicken adobo recipe they like and make regularly?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was going to make the serious eats brown butter cornbread recipe today but it calls for sour cream and I don't have any. Can I fiy it or substitute for it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you can fake sour cream by curdling cream with an acid somehow

otherwise if you have something cultured like buttermilk or certain yogurts you can make your own on the counter in a day or two with cream.

you can sub with yogurt most times as well

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have Greek yogurt and some cream but definitely don't want to wait a whole day to make it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just use the yogurt.

I haven't had actual sour cream in the fridge for ages cuz yogurt is pretty much a direct substitute in most cases

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Use the Greek yogurt for sure, it’s an excellent addition to baked goods in its own right.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been thinking of getting a sodastream or other seltzer making device, anyone have opinions on the choices out there?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been thinking of getting a sodastream or other seltzer making device, anyone have opinions on the choices out there?

Sodastream is easy but really screws you on the refills. I think it comes out to almost the same as just buying soda in the long run.

I strongly suggest getting a food grade co2 tank and a pressure regulator. It’s like $200 up front but after that it’s pennies per liter of bubble juice

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

fyi, make your own decisions https://bdsmovement.net/tags/sodastream

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I was curious and successfully made carbonated water in my whipped cream charger by using CO2 cartridges instead of N2O.
If you're only looking to use it once in a blue moon, that's a dual tasker instead of a uni-tasker, FWIW.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Sodastream is easy but really screws you on the refills. I think it comes out to almost the same as just buying soda in the long run.

I strongly suggest getting a food grade co2 tank and a pressure regulator. It’s like $200 up front but after that it’s pennies per liter of bubble juice

$115 for me + $35 per tank refill, 18 months going and still on my first! Serious Eats build guide

• Cheaper than a sodastream after just one tank.
  • For some, more important than price is you can go up to 60 psi vs SodaStream's 15 psi. Regular soda or soda water is anywhere from 18-35 psi depending on brand, so SS will always seem substandard.
  • It's also more flexible - SS's design of their pressure relief gets clogged in the open position if you try to carbonate non-water (wine, juice, cocktails), causing you to not even reach 15 psi any more.
  • More convenient than buying soda if you don't care about brands. Try different simple syrups and citruses!

The only four downsides I can imagine:
  • Hesitation of housemates to bomb-looking thing
  • If you treat it wrong, it is a bomb
  • You can rupture bottles if they're super weak like normal water bottles or degraded soda bottles
  • A slow leak in an enclosed space (e.g. a car on a long drive) can lead to dizziness / blackout / suffocation

If you're smart it's basically no risk but it's worth the word of caution I think.

e: another tip: charge a 2L plastic bottle, then decant into a glass swingtop bottle or two. The carbonation easily escapes plastic over the course of a week but not glass!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 30, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

$115 for me + $35 per tank refill, 18 months going and still on my first! Serious Eats build guide

• For some, more important than price is you can go up to 60 psi vs SodaStream's 15 psi. Regular soda or soda water is anywhere from 18-35 psi depending on brand, so SS will always seem substandard.
  • It's also more flexible - SS's design of their pressure relief gets clogged in the open position if you try to carbonate non-water (wine, juice, cocktails), causing you to not even reach 15 psi any more.
  • More convenient than buying soda if you don't care about brands. Try different simple syrups and citruses!

• You can rupture bottles if they're super weak like normal water bottles or degraded soda bottles
  • A slow leak in an enclosed space (e.g. a car on a long drive) can lead to dizziness / blackout / suffocation

If you're smart it's basically no risk but it's worth the word of caution I think.

e: another tip: charge a 2L plastic bottle, then decant into a glass swingtop bottle or two. The carbonation easily escapes plastic over the course of a week but not glass!

Lol at the thought of having a carbonated bottle you don’t drink in 4 days

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies, guys...that DIY build guide looks like a fun project with better results, and I won't have to be dependent on sodastream, who turns out are shitheads. Win/win.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BrianBoitano posted:

I built one of these as well, works great, well worth it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow that seems awesome...Is there a CO2 / bubbly thread?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Hed posted:

Wow that seems awesome...Is there a CO2 / bubbly thread?

There will when you post it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh yeah, if you're building a system I'd find your gas source before buying a tank. Your vendor may just want to give you an already filled cylinder instead and you just return and replace that with another each time instead of refilling your own tank. Most gas vendors I've been around prefer this system. In that case it's about $40 cheaper than the list posted above.

Ideally you want to buy a "5 pound" CO2 cylinder.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A soda station is going in to the future house as soon as I buy it. Do want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a brand of instant ramen (like cup ramen, not just ramen noodles) that's reasonably low sodium? There's a few asian markets next to me with like 40 brands of ramen but they all have enough sodium to kill a man

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol no

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The salt is why they're palatable at all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now I'm just thinking about how if I want to satiate the soda hounds in my family I could buy some of those 50 lb syrup BIBs and use a CO2 station.

Resting Lich Face posted:

There will when you post it.

Sure... I'm just still in info gathering mode.

Hed fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 1, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no asian society eats less than the usa recommended intake of sodium

(no society at all eats less than the usa recommenced intake of sodium, its one reason why hospital food sucks)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there anything I can do with 1-2 cups of green cherry tomatoes? One of my plants died but I took all the green tomatoes off before I pulled it. They're firm and sort of sour-could I cook them down into a sauce or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pickle them?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bread and fry them?
Fried green tomato poppers

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thumposaurus posted:

tomato poppers

Literally, if you fry them whole :haw:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there anything I can do with 1-2 cups of green cherry tomatoes? One of my plants died but I took all the green tomatoes off before I pulled it. They're firm and sort of sour-could I cook them down into a sauce or something?

You can add them in with tomatillo and peppers to make chili verde.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone have a good source for dried mushrooms? The kind we used to get at costco seems to have gone for good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Anyone have a good source for dried mushrooms? The kind we used to get at costco seems to have gone for good.

I get mine at my Asian market. Can't recommend a specific brand offhand, but they always have a decent selection.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Argona posted:

I currently have a very very old small 4 cup cuisinart food processor. The plastic is completely yellowed but the motor still works fine. The issue is that the little plastic bit holding the cover in place is almost fully worn away. I've thought about getting a replacement bowl, but its expensive and honestly I kinda want a bigger model.

Here's the catch - I need to be able to have both a small bowl for things like marinades as well as a full size bowl which i'd be using for things like cutting zucchini and whatnot. Preferably it would be able to handle a dough as well. (I may have just spent like half an hour kneading some pizza dough) I saw that the current 13 cup cuisinart model has a small bowl attachment but I can't seem to find any video or review of the small bowl attachment. Does it work without leaking? Also, any other options for food processors that either take multiple bowls or have an attachment?

what you want is the 14-cup cuisinart. if you absolutely need something smaller use your blender; you can successfully make sauces with down to about 1.25 cup of ingredients in this food processor. unfortunately i can't recommend the 14-cup without reservations: be very careful with the plastic bowl and lid parts, theyre fragile and very expensive to replace.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I've been impressed with the Mushroom House brand stuff I got off of Amazon, but it looks like current prices are around 2.5X what I paid when I placed my orders.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My wife suddenly needs to be on a diet free of folic acid. The doctors gave us a very vague list of things to avoid.

List of poo poo we can't eat posted:

Avoid these foods that are high in folic acid:
Legumes:
 Black, kidney, navy, or pinto beans
 Black-eyed peas
 Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
 Lentils
 Peanuts
Grains:
 Fortified breakfast cereal
 Fortified oatmeal
 Wheat Germ
Fruits:
 Oranges
 Orange juice
 Strawberries
Vegetables:
 Asparagus
 Avocado
 Brussels sprouts
 Broccoli or Cauliflower
 Corn
 Green peas
 Okra
 Spinach, Kale or other dark leafy vegetables
Meat:
 Liver

poo poo we can eat in very small quantities posted:

Limit the amounts of these foods; eat only small amounts:
 Bread/Rolls Grits
 Crackers Flour tortillas
 Noodles Cookies
 Pasta Rice

These are basically a list of the things my wife loves to eat which means she's gonna have a really lovely time for a few months. I'm hoping to keep her spirits up by cooking decent meals in spite of this. Has anyone had to deal with this dietary restriction before? The internet is full of suggestions for exactly the opposite of what we need.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Man that's like everything good except meat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like potatoes aren’t on the list!

Beyond just the obvious stuff like fries, mashed potatoes, potato curries, potato salad, etc... Potato starch is great for battering/frying stuff instead of wheat:rice flours.

Edit: Eggs also appear to be absent from the list and low in folate (that’s the same thing right?).

That’s a brutal list at first glance, but I’m pretty sure that I would love to have a doctor tell me to eat more meat, eggs and potatoes.

Double edit: Mustard is also super low in folate. Eat super mustardy potato egg salad all day err’day.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 1, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think searching for paleo stuff (nomnompaleo is good) will get you pretty far in terms of what you can do with meat, just swap out vegetables/fruit for ones she can do. Searching for gluten-free might also help with stuff like swapping out enriched flour for almond flour. Quinoa, barley, wheat berries are good functional subs for beans, rice, or pasta.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 1, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks like potatoes aren’t on the list!
Time for the potato thread to shine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a brand of instant ramen (like cup ramen, not just ramen noodles) that's reasonably low sodium? There's a few asian markets next to me with like 40 brands of ramen but they all have enough sodium to kill a man

If you're worried about sodium, drink less of the broth after (though there is still a good amount of sodium in the noodles themselves) but recognize you are still going to be exceeding your RDI and if you have health issues that require low sodium then don't do it too often.

Delightfully goony.