Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have a Switch Lite and I am considering purchasing XC:DE. Does it run okay in handheld mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I have a Switch Lite and I am considering purchasing XC:DE. Does it run okay in handheld mode?

I've actually been preferring handheld over docked mode as at least Bionis' Leg seems to have a slightly lower framerate in docked than handheld and the lack of full HD is less noticeable, but both modes are perfectly fine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I played through most of this game on Dolphin years ago but still picked this up. One thing I remember doing is the crafting with only Shulk and Reyn, since their effects seemed to be the only useful sounding ones. Was there something I was missing about all that? It seems like in the end, all you really want to do is to get the percentages as high as possible.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Why does XBC2 have to have so much drat content? I want to play XBCrm and I haven't even started on Torna yet.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you're just turning two high percentage cylinders into a gem, then Shulk/Reyn is generally the best option. But if you're turning a whole mess of crystals into cylinders you want something like Sharla/Riki. Dunban/Seven gets you some absolutely stupid results, but that's late-game max-affinity poo poo. Like, 'throw eight crystals in the furnace and max out all of them' stupid. It takes some luck but that's gem crafting, baby!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's funny how many stupid design decisions crept into XBC2 that i only just noticed after returning to this game.

Like, the silly title card popups at the start and end of every quest.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I bounced off XBC2/Torna pretty hard, but liking XBC1 so far. About 4 chapters in?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kin posted:

It's funny how many stupid design decisions crept into XBC2 that i only just noticed after returning to this game.

Like, the silly title card popups at the start and end of every quest.

Getting 5000 fans for Ursula is one of the single worst grinds I have encountered in any RPG ever. Not even MMOs are this ruthless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

I've played 15 hours in handheld mode and have zero complaints.

E2M2 posted:

I bounced off XBC2/Torna pretty hard, but liking XBC1 so far. About 4 chapters in?

This game is much much better than XBC2. I would tell anyone that even if they didn't like XBC2, they should still give the first game a try because its much simpler to play and this is a huge advantage over the sequel where that game ends up shooting its own foot off.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
For the remaster is there a rule of thumb for picking the “best” gear for each character. Slightly overwhelmed with all the gear drops.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Rikimaru posted:

For the remaster is there a rule of thumb for picking the “best” gear for each character. Slightly overwhelmed with all the gear drops.

Focus on slots, really. You want to be able to customize your character and Gems are the best for it. Stuff like Strength Up for Shulk or Ether Up for Sharla.
Reyn want in the beefiest heaviest gear since he can't dodge for poo poo. HP UP/Muscle Up unique gear or slotted in with Gems for him.
Dunban you wanna run Agility Up because he's all about that evasion. Keep his armor weight down, go Light even at the sacrifice of defense since he's likely dodging it any.

In general, you're gonna consistently find better gear as the game goes on. Kill Unique monsters because they drop the best stuff for the level the monster is at. Learn how to Gem craft, make some stupid poo poo and get your team murdering better. Unique monsters also tend to drop U gear (has a U on the icon, as opposed to S for slots), which means it's unique and has an fixed Gem. Some of these can be really good.

Don't be afraid to just clear out your equipment at a shop. Once you acquire gear the fashion gets added to your list, so even if you dump the gear you can still make your character look like they have it on.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's a lot of stuff in XB2 I actually like better in both gameplay, storytelling, and music, but I have so much insane attachment to XB1 from playing it on release right during a really major time in my life and from how just straightforward and solid it is compared to how bogged down 2 can get.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man, these areas are massive. And I keep getting killed while exploring. Good times.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I appreciate that there are actual for reals treasure chests hidden around the Bionis’ Shoulder in Future Connected. That’s definitely an improvement over the main game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a good guide to how to do combat? So far I just run up to things and just hit whatever cooldown is up. I suspect this is doing it wrong.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

For anyone worried about missables and quests, very few quests have unique rewards. Those that do tend to be gated behind area affinity levels or come at the end of a quest chain, and are not permanently missable. I'm pretty sure there's no significant items that are permanently missable, which is something I really like about the game design.

Also, generic quests tend to be numbered (Challenge x/Monster Quest x) and automatically complete when you hit the requirements. You tend to finish a lot of these during regular play. The rewards aren't anything special so they can be safely skipped.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a good guide to how to do combat? So far I just run up to things and just hit whatever cooldown is up. I suspect this is doing it wrong.

Basically you want one character to be a tank who draws aggro (which causes the enemies to focus on them) while the other two go hog wild with attacks and arts. Trying to rack up as much damage as quickly as possible is the name of the game.

Shulk is pretty easy to use, you should be using Shadow Eye to avoid drawing aggro and then setting up Break and taking advantage of his arts that have advantages from the side/back. If you can time Shaker Edge to cause Daze, good on you. Also using Monado Skills when needed.

Reyn’s job is to draw as much aggro as possible while buffing his own defense using auras. Using arts fills his talent gauge, Mad Taunt, which draws a ton of aggro. He also has Wild Down to cause topple which is important.

Dunban can be used as a dodge tank if you draw aggro and use auras to increase his agility. You can also use Gale Slash followed by a bunch of other arts to get a variety of effects. Also his talent art owns.

Sharla sucks don’t control her like ever. Healing is a tough racket in this game.

Riki can do a bunch of poo poo, he can tank or he can avoid aggro and do sneaky things. Or he can hit an enemy with burn/freeze/poison in quick succession to do a shitload of damage over a short amount of time.

Melia is the best but also difficult to explain. There is probably a really good guide out there somewhere on how to make her the strongest character. She is really really good though.

There’s a seventh character but I am gonna hold off on them because spoilers.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is expert mode worth enabling for a total newbie?

Personally, I'd say yes. It is very easy to end up overleveled in this game, and while the game will eventually catch back up level-wise, it's still a fairly long stretch of basically breezing through everything, which can get pretty dull pretty quickly. Also, your XP/SP/AP rewards from combat scale in relation to the difference between your level and the enemy's; in theory it gives the game a chance to catch up, but in practice it just nukes your SP/AP gains to the point where finding landmarks becomes your only real source of them for half the game. It won't feel like much early on, but it'll get pretty noticeable the further you go.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Melia is the best but also difficult to explain. There is probably a really good guide out there somewhere on how to make her the strongest character. She is really really good though.

if such a guide exists i want to see it

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Picked this up and I'm having a blast so far. Always wanted to play it but my Wii died and never got a New 3DS so I was super hyped for this. So far I'm finding it easier to understand the combat system compared to XC2 which was incredibly overwhelming after the first bit. That and getting your teeth kicked in by a level 70 mob just outside the first town was incredibly irritating, so I put it down and then FFXIV Shadowbringers launched a week later and so I never went back lol.

Have to applaud the game for the bold move of straight up killing the hero's love interest an hour into the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Collector's Edition turned up! :woop:

The "Sound Selection" OST is actually really nice, because it has literally all the best songs on it :allears:. The Monado keyring is laughably cheap; I was expecting/hoping for a little plastic or rubber thing like some past keychain freebies for other Nintendo games (I quite liked the ARMS boxing glove one), but instead it's a slip of metal with the Monado painted on the side.

Gaur Plains, You Will Know Our Names, Colony 9, Mechanical Rhythm, and the new fight track for the Bionis' Shoulder from Future Connect.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I think it boils down to Summon Bolt -> Summon Copy -> Summon (whatever is off cooldown) -> Discharge -> Repeat Summon and Discharge until dead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Countblanc posted:

Lemme see if I can do it...

She can summon little ether elemental spirits using her summon moves. Each one gives a passive buff in an area around her and she can stock three at once. They don’t stack though afaik so having two Lightning elementals doesn’t give double Ether Up. Summon Copy is incredibly valuable as it allows you to summon the most recent elemental again. Her talent art is to shoot that elemental at an enemy which has a different effect depending on the element, also some hit harder than others and sometimes in an AoE. You can buff her ether attack with Lightning and then go crazy shooting elementals for crazy damage. Or you can give your party regenerate or physical/ether protect or agility up or strength up. Once you shoot enough elementals she goes in ELEMENT BURST mode where her ether attack shoots through the roof and she can use Burst End and Mind Blast both of which are :discourse: Burst End lowers the physical/ether def of all enemies in the vicinity and Mind Blast hits all enemies in front of Melia for a lot of damage, removes Auras and inflicts Arts Seal. Mind Blast after Burst End with the buff from Summon Lightning is amazing. She has one Aura, Power Effect which doubles the range of her buffs and lasts a while which means it has good synergy with Aura Heal, especially if you have an Aqua stocked for extra regeneration.

She also has those two attacks, Spear Break & Starlight Kick, which when used in succession force Topple and apparently can be combined with Topple Plus gems to do infinite loops locking enemies into topple forever? I haven’t done it but I’ve heard it’s good. I don’t tend to use those moves with her.

Edit: the buffs might stack I am probably wrong. Having two Lightning elementals stocked then shooting other elementals over and over is a good strategy, as the guy above me said.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nah, you get better damage and less aggro if you use Summon Earth/Summon Ice as her primary damage sources, DOTs don't generate aggro past the initial attack and the passive defense buffs from Earth and Ice elementals are generally more beneficial party-wide. Meanwhile while the enemy is poisoned/burning/freezing to death is your chance to Spear Break --> Starlight Kick a force-topple and just bypass 'break' attacks altogether.

(you can still use summon bolt but focussing on the other elements means you die a lot less)

Edit: the key to Melia is that the AI cannot be trusted with her. If she's not leading the party, leave her at home.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 1, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

x1o posted:

Have to applaud the game for the bold move of straight up killing the hero's love interest an hour into the game.

There haven't been many times that a game made me yell "you motherfucker" but that scene was one of them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
this took too long to write and other people beat me to it but oh well:

a basic writeup on how to melia

Melia's primary method of dealing damage is by using her Talent Art, which discharges her last summoned elemental. Each summoned elemental (up to three) gives Melia and the party a buff, and has a unique effect on discharge. The most important thing to making Melia work well, and the thing that the AI is utter pants at, is almost always only juggling the last slot, keeping slots one and two filled with useful buffs, usually double Bolts for the biggest ether boost. Melia is extremely strong in Chain Attacks because of using her Talent Art, which is always wild for continuing damage multipliers. Her Talent Gauge fills up as you discharge elements, and when reaching full capacity, Melia enters Element Burst, which grants doubled damage and access to a couple special moves that can only be used during Burst. Using Discharge during Element Boost has a chance to reset your gauge to zero, dependent on her Tension, so keeping it high can really pump her damage into the stratosphere.

A quick overview of her arts:

Summon Bolt: Your bread and butter. You will often want to open fights with Summon Bolt -> Summon Copy to get her ether stacked and then start cycling discharges to stack damage. Has the highest damage discharge of her arts and a fairly low cooldown, so whenever it cycles around after your setup you can pop it for a ton of damage. Always use this.
Summon Flare: Boosts strength for the party, and discharges as an AoE damage over time effect. The buff would be nice if not for the fact that Melia is far better used blowing things up herself than playing support, but the damage is fine.
Spear Break: One of Melia's few physical attacks, Spear Break deals a modest amount of damage, inflicts Slow, and knocks the target back. On its own, it's hardly worth mentioning, but for two things: first, in certain areas you can knock high-level enemies off cliffs with it, which is hilarious and great for leveling, and second, it combos with Starlight Kick, which I'll get to. Always use this.
Hypnotize: Puts an enemy to sleep. Actually really useful in some fights and for dealing with nasty visions coming your way!
Burst End: Only usable in Element Burst, reduces enemy defenses in an AoE around Melia. Okay.
Shadow Stitch: Binds enemies in an AoE around Melia. Occasionally useful.
Summon Aqua: Grants a regeneration effect to the party, and discharges as a single target spell that steals health. Unfortunately, the power on the attack is very low, so it's not great as a damage source, though giving Melia a little extra sustain isn't the worst thing.
Healing Gift: Sacrifice 20% of Melia's max hp to heal an ally approximately the same amount. In addition to Melia having the lowest HP in the game, this makes her more likely to die, and means she is not blowing things up. Hard pass.
Summon Copy: Summons another copy of the last element summoned. Melia really takes off when you get this, since you can open fights with Summon Bolt -> Summon Copy and have a huge ether boost for the whole fight, and it's also very versatile if you don't need it for that! Always use this.
Summon Wind: Grants the party an Agility buff, and discharges to deal damage in an AoE. Agility buffs, especially when using Dunban, can let you get away with shenanigans against higher level enemies you wouldn't normally be able to, and the AoE damage is solid.
Starlight Kick: Melia's other physical Art. On its own, useless, but when used directly after Spear Break, Starlight Kick forces Topple on the target (if both attacks hit and the target is not immune to Topple). This allows you to bypass Break entirely, it lets you instantly Topple foes that can only normally be hit with statuses during Chain Attacks, and you get your tiny mage girl drop-kicking monsters and knocking them flat. It is awesome. Always use this.
Summon Earth: Boosts physical defense for the party, and discharges to deal poison damage over time. An excellent buff and a very strong DoT, especially when applied during Chain Attacks with a high multiplier, and doesn't generate as much aggro as dunking on fools with Summon Bolt spam. Highly recommended.
Reflection: Raises a barrier that reflects all non-Talent Arts (the white text ones) from enemies for five seconds. Honestly, I never used this, despite it being quite strong defensively, and incredibly good when used in reaction to a vision targeting Melia (again, as long as it's not a Talent Art that the enemy is going to use).
Power Effect: An Aura that increases the range of the buffs on Melia's elementals. Barely any use.
Summon Ice: Boosts ether defense for the party, and discharges to deal damage and inflict chill damage over time in an AoE around Melia. The above comments on Summon Earth apply here. Highly recommended.
Mind Blast: Only usable in Element Burst. Inflicts massive damage (always double its base, since it's only available in Element Burst) in an AoE and inflicts Arts Seal and removes Auras on enemies. In addition to being required for the plot at a couple places, it's a) really powerful and b) shutting down auras is incredibly good against many powerful enemies. Always use this.

My palette with Melia usually ends up looking like Summon Bolt, Summon Copy, Summon Ice, Summon Earth, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, Mind Blast, and one flexible slot, usually Summon Wind or Summon Flare.

also melia's favorite item is a dobercorgi and that is great

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
awesome, thank you everyone who answered. to piggy-back off of that, i've heard that riki is similarly bad and lovely when piloted by the AI, does that mean it's just a waste to use both of them in the same party?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Countblanc posted:

awesome, thank you everyone who answered. to piggy-back off of that, i've heard that riki is similarly bad and lovely when piloted by the AI, does that mean it's just a waste to use both of them in the same party?

Oh no, I hope not -- I was planning on Running a Dunban/Riki/Melia party once I got them all :ohdear:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I've been running Melia/Dunban/Riki since picking them up. Aside from not really trying to position correctly for his back attacks, which is a problem all the AIs have, he seems fine?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

drat I forgot how boring Sharla's toolset is, she's really just a healbot since her damage output and overall Arts are pretty terrible. It's a shame she gets allllll the heal arts since without her you're likely just going to depend on the direct heals from Riki/Melia/Shulk instead, which isn't the worst thing in the world but oh well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Nah, Riki does fine with AI. Especially useful to use him as a solid healer in chain attacks (which he also is good at making happen more often). I used him in party with Melia for quite a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

drat I forgot how boring Sharla's toolset is, she's really just a healbot since her damage output and overall Arts are pretty terrible. It's a shame she gets allllll the heal arts since without her you're likely just going to depend on the direct heals from Riki/Melia/Shulk instead, which isn't the worst thing in the world but oh well.

Sharla is just really, really bad. One of her character unique skills is "the mechanic I have that no other character deals with is slightly less bad now"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Riki is great and perfect, and Melia/Riki/Dunban is actually probably one of my favourite teams. Riki's whole thing is that he's kind of an unfocused Jack-of-all trades. He's not a tank but he has ridiculously high HP and late-game access to heavy armour. He's not a healer, but You Can Do It is probably the best healing Art in the game. His magic isn't as strong as Melia but he doesn't have to be micromanaged. You get the idea. All of that and he can steal items and stats from the enemy, he can increase the party gauge, and a bunch of other weird poo poo.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Riki is great and perfect, and Melia/Riki/Dunban is actually probably one of my favourite teams. Riki's whole thing is that he's kind of an unfocused Jack-of-all trades. He's not a tank but he has ridiculously high HP and late-game access to heavy armour. He's not a healer, but You Can Do It is probably the best healing Art in the game. His magic isn't as strong as Melia but he doesn't have to be micromanaged. You get the idea. All of that and he can steal items and stats from the enemy, he can increase the party gauge, and a bunch of other weird poo poo.

Does he fit well as a DOT damage dealer in that party? My very rough plan, not knowing what I'm really doing, was going to be having Dunban agility tank, Riki throw DOTs around, and Melia nuke everything, with Melia eventually going heavy armor, Riki in medium, and Dunban in light/none.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

YggiDee posted:

The real secret of Riki is that his damage over time spells do insane damage with high chain attack multipliers. Like you can melt through a bosses HP in seconds if set up right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

Heropon; verycool!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Aerox posted:

Does he fit well as a DOT damage dealer in that party? My very rough plan, not knowing what I'm really doing, was going to be having Dunban agility tank, Riki throw DOTs around, and Melia nuke everything, with Melia eventually going heavy armor, Riki in medium, and Dunban in light/none.

Not only is Riki good at DOT damage, he's the only character in the game with every DOT. He'll freeze, poison, burn and bleed everything in a mile radius. I think the one thing with Riki is to use the 'focus attacks' command every once in a while, I think the AI doesn't like using his AOEs on lone enemies otherwise.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Riki and Sharla are at opposite ends of the design spectrum. Where Sharla doesn't fit into any team because she has extremely few attack Arts and her palette is dominated by one color, Riki fits into all teams because his Arts are extremely diverse and his stats are goofy enough to support you in messy fights.

theshim
May 1, 2012

one of these days I'm gonna do full phys riki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The new quest system is so much better. I was able to do all the available Colony 6 quests before Tephra Cave in less than 3 hours.