Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'll admit I mainly did the voice I did so I could make My Cousin Vinny references.

One time though a little light trolling,
One of the Americans: "Do you even know what grits are!?"
Me: "Yeah, they're like Southern pasta right? Since you boil them?"

To me what makes this exchange funnier is I'm pretty sure the person asking me isn't actually from the south.

Other items from the hoard:

quote:

Masterwork Blacksteel Longsword (X2)
+2 to hit, Versatile
Description: A Blade made from the Blackened, It's warm to the touch and holds its edge with an almost unnatural quality.

I assume this ISN'T an upgrade to me 2d8 katana since the +2 doesn't stack with my Sharpen the Blade ability. But if it does maybe I can dual wield?

quote:

Masterwork Ebony Longbow
+2 to Hit, Ammunition, Heavy, Range, Two-Handed

This seems like an upgrade over my current standard longbow.

quote:

Drinking Horn of Norris Nathram
Requires Attunment, Artifact, Wonderous Item

The Drinking Horn can produce up to two gallons of any sort of Beverage consumed by its user after it has been attuned. The Amount of Liquid the Horn Can Produce resets at the dawn of each day. Liquid cannot be poured out of the Horn, Only Drunk from it.

You no longer gains disadvantage from Poisoned Conditions inflicted by nonmagical sources (Such as being drunk)

Whenever you are Poisoned, as an action you may activate the Horn to remove the Poisoned condition, If you choose to do so, enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you and you have advantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn, at which point the Horn Empties and cannot be used in such a way again until the next dawn

For the Dwarf probably.

quote:

Cloak of the Crow
Requires Attunement, Legendary, Wonderous Item

This elegant garment is made from fine black feathers and blackened silk of an unknown origin, It produces no sound and is soft to the touch
You gain these benefits while wearing and attuned to the cloak:

You have advantage on stealth checks to hide and remain hidden so long and enemies have disadvantage to perceive you so long as you are in dim light or darker
You have perfect Darkvision
You may speak with Birds and Kenku as much as their intelligence allows
Once per day you may as an action surround yourself in the cloak and transform into a Giant Raven (Giant Eagle Statblock) if you are reduced to 0 Health as a Raven you immediately transform back.
You Gain +1 AC

I assume this is for the Rogue, its useful for me but I prefer the +1 to saves my current cloak gives.

quote:

Magical Golden Ring
Wonderous Item, Requires Attunment

A Golden Ring with soft engraving on the interior and exterior depicting Thorns and waves

When you place the Ring on your finger and you are attuned to it you become Invisible
While you are invisible, living beings glow colors based on their alignment while everything else can only be seen in shades of grey.
Performing any action or interacting with anyone or anything in a substantial way causes you to immediately reappear, this includes being damaged by an effect, attack or ability

I assume this is also for the Rogue.

quote:

An Unassuming Deck of Cards

An Unassuming deck of about 22 Cards.

Intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
You don't have to be able to do voices. It can be as simple as changing your body language for different characters. How they use their hands. Are they hunched over? Do they look the players in the eye or keep them pointed at the ground.

Even little stuff like that can really help to bring characters out, and no voice lessons needed.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Reveilled posted:

a character who is supposed to have a sort of Southern Belle accent but every time we sit down to play I immediately slip into a texas cowboy instead.

Cowboy accent. Belle dialogue.

:clint: "Bless my heart, what an angel you are! I'm twitterpated, Henry, just twitterpated!"

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Last thing I voiced was a cookie golem being devoured alive by the party. I'm no voice actor but it was pretty fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

My group has a couple weeks before our next campaign starts so I volunteered to show them one of the worst dungeons ever made: tomb of horrors. Two of the players want to be surprised with the characters they’ll play so everyone give me your silliest character ideas.

Wargorged Glamour Bard, Entertainer Background

Name: "The MIracles"

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
where's the best place to find games that are likely to not be an absolute shitshow? LFG posts on R20?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In my game if a character is from Chult (basically where America is), they're getting a southern accent. Goblins are all nasally and I go all in. Usually for my own characters I don't do much of a voice though since I'd have to sustain it for way longer.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i have a tough time with groups that don't talk IC because its hard to care about the characters

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
People cringe too easily. Have some fun.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Farg posted:

i have a tough time with groups that don't talk IC because its hard to care about the characters

it is better to be earnest and enjoy things and show emotions and feelings than to hide everything away for fear of looking uncool.

Glans Dillzig posted:

where's the best place to find games that are likely to not be an absolute shitshow? LFG posts on R20?

finding a game online with random people that is not an absolute shitshow is like finding a needle in a haystack claw game

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

please knock Mom! posted:

People cringe too easily. Have some fun.
This. Always character voices never not character voices

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

Bite the bullet and become a DM for the next year or 2. People will come out of the woodwork to play in your game, and since you are running it, you can cull away the people you think you wont gel with. Once your campaign that you run ends/falls apart due to whatever, I guarantee you will be able to find a game quickly.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Bite the bullet and become a DM for the next year or 2. People will come out of the woodwork to play in your game, and since you are running it, you can cull away the people you think you wont gel with. Once your campaign that you run ends/falls apart due to whatever, I guarantee you will be able to find a game quickly.

this is a trap. players will feel self conscious about following after you and will never do anything besides a one shot and you will be stuck being the DM forever

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

If you're trying to do roll20 with strangers, this is really the only way to get a group that isn't full of weirdos and creeps or decent people with mics that hurt your head.

Otherwise, play online with people you've had good experiences with and IRL folks you already know are solid.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If you can't do voices or don't wish to do voices, I recommend wearing a different silly hat for each important character. I have seen this done and it was glorious.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Play with people you know. It's not worth running into the terrible people on the internet.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

JustJeff88 posted:

If you can't do voices or don't wish to do voices, I recommend wearing a different silly hat for each important character. I have seen this done and it was glorious.

I once whipped out a pair of reading glasses when acting out Tiamat in full lawful evil lawyer-mode. It worked quite well.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Buy a bunch of "Hello, my name is ..." stickers and swap them in and out throughout the session?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm trying to come up with a cool upgrade for the battlesmith artificer I DM for. They are Level 9, about to hit 10 and probably 11 shortly after. They are Arcane Archer 4/Battlesmith 5, and will keep going down the Artificer path for the rest of the game. They've really been taken with having their pet (I let them rebalance their levels to be more artificer than fighter, and they only got it a few sessions ago).

They are 'due' for a cool custom magic item/upgrade, and I want to make it centered on their pet. I'm a little stumped on how to make it a cool meaningful upgrade without going way over the top, and i'd ideally like to avoid things that straight up do advantage/disadvantage, since the pet can already do that and the party is laden with items that do that poo poo.

For reference, the kind of 'custom magical poo poo' that exists in the party includes stuff like: magic wind fists that do special effects on high rolls, hammers that summon explosions, special resources that can be expended for movement effects, and so on. Also recently the character salvaged a strange giant stinger from an evil wasp and mused about doing something neat with it when they get a moment. I like to flavor this characters upgrades/magic items as either the fruits of their own research or ancient tech they salvage/make sense of. Anyone got ideas?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Through some miracle the current campaign I have playing is managing to be completely consistent, so far meeting twice a week for four weeks running despite every player being in their mid to late thirties and most of them having kids. That said we have had additional participation from a bright eyed seven month old who refuses to go to sleep a few times.

Great fun so far especially as our DM has a master's degree in classical mythology, everything is Mycean era Greek and I think we need to save Fantasy Troy? Also the Oracle of Delphi turned out to be an amusingly snarky ancient silver dragoness who was actually very straight forward in her prophecies after we were secretly invited around the back for a private audience.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm not familiar with the artificer, their pets and how it works, but I did deal with animal companions, both as a player and DM.

My, and the player's, biggest fear was losing their pet. A familiar can be resummoned, a pet can't.

Maybe an item that lets the player blink their pet around the battlefield? Could be used both offensively, to get them into position for attacks and stuff, and defensively to get it out of harm's way. You could add advantages or disadvantages to control how powerful it is.

Weak (nearly pointless in the grand scheme of things) would be like once per (short) rest, using a (bonus) action you can blink your pet 10 feet. It could move further away using its own movement, but at least it's out of range if most melee attacks for now.

Powerful (even OP depending on the numbers) would be like at will (but once per round of course), 60 feet blink, it makes a bonus attack before or after blinking, with +whatever flavour damage or effect.

You could balance this to your needs pretty well, it gives some extra tactical depth to combat enounters for the player, and could offer a lot of out of combat opportunities as well.

Movement based abilities with a sting attack could work with the wasp stinger.

Patrat posted:

Through some miracle the current campaign I have playing is managing to be completely consistent, so far meeting twice a week for four weeks running despite every player being in their mid to late thirties and most of them having kids. That said we have had additional participation from a bright eyed seven month old who refuses to go to sleep a few times.

Great fun so far especially as our DM has a master's degree in classical mythology, everything is Mycean era Greek and I think we need to save Fantasy Troy? Also the Oracle of Delphi turned out to be an amusingly snarky ancient silver dragoness who was actually very straight forward in her prophecies after we were secretly invited around the back for a private audience.

That sounds awesome.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something that powers up the pet, making them bigger and more durable/dangerous for a short period?

From that stinger -- let the pet steal natural weapons from defeated enemies by salvaging body parts and stapling them to the pet? Have these break down after X uses/days to keep them fresh. You may need to adjust damage dice and save DCs to keep things vaguely balanced; you can gloss this as having to adjust for changes in scale and the pet's unfamiliarity with the body part.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Hm, maybe something that iterates on the artificer pets ability to interfere with enemy attacks, but to a more intense level? Like, if an ally is getting hit by an attack within 30/60ft, as a reaction the pet can swap places with the ally and take the attack in its stead? Artificer pets in 5e can be brought back with a single spell slot, so they are disposable enough to use in this was I'd think. Plus the player has been telling me they like artificer because they feel a lot more part of the fight with the reactions/positioning then they did just being a turret.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Farg posted:

Hm, maybe something that iterates on the artificer pets ability to interfere with enemy attacks, but to a more intense level? Like, if an ally is getting hit by an attack within 30/60ft, as a reaction the pet can swap places with the ally and take the attack in its stead? Artificer pets in 5e can be brought back with a single spell slot, so they are disposable enough to use in this was I'd think. Plus the player has been telling me they like artificer because they feel a lot more part of the fight with the reactions/positioning then they did just being a turret.

That or something like the Battlemaster's Maneuver's as "Tricks"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Dexo posted:

That or something like the Battlemaster's Maneuver's as "Tricks"

Thats a real good idea, but I don't wanna munch the party's battlemaster's flavor too much.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wow my party are dicks, someone else also wants the mask.

Lost 2 int and then regained 2 int by drawing 2 cards from the deck of wonders.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 1, 2020

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got invited to a one-shot. I'm thinking variant human ancestral barbarian with Magic Initiate to cast Unseen Servant and Mage Hand as "thanks dad" helpful ghost spells (and Light because human.) What can I do to make this idea pop?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Light or dancing lights? If you go for dancing lights, you could have the dancing lights be manifestations of ancestral spirits and so not necessarily under your characters direct control.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Went with light because dancing lights will drop the moment I go into Rage.

Thinking of making the character a failson who inherited the sword his dad's ghost is bound to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sup nerds. I have a yen to play a fighter in an upcoming eberron game, level 5, probably with a couple of magic items; are there any interesting races/subclasses/items I should investigate?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sebmojo posted:

Sup nerds. I have a yen to play a fighter in an upcoming eberron game, level 5, probably with a couple of magic items; are there any interesting races/subclasses/items I should investigate?

Warforged, Echo Knight

Cloak of Displacement very cool thematically. Flame Tounge, or Arcane Propulsion arm,

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sebmojo posted:

Mark of Sentinel is great (initiative and perception bonuses and 2 good reactions). Mark of Passage gives you teleport with a friend, 40ft move and bonus to Athletics (grapple/shove).
I like Samurai for either and luckstone as an underrated item.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Absolutely give Echo Knight a spin if you haven't yet, they have a unique toolbox and bring a lot to the table

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Facebook just informed me it's my DM's birthday today. Any good GM gift suggestions for a campaign that's moved entirely online?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Campaign is starting soon. Starting at 3rd level, going to level 10 and we've been asked to play things we've not played before.

As such I will be playing a Beastmaster Ranger. I have heard they are poo poo, however. How do I make them unshit? I can get stuff from core books and XGtE.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sion posted:

Campaign is starting soon. Starting at 3rd level, going to level 10 and we've been asked to play things we've not played before.

As such I will be playing a Beastmaster Ranger. I have heard they are poo poo, however. How do I make them unshit? I can get stuff from core books and XGtE.

Its the crappiest build in 5e......Treantmonk did a build video for a beastmaster ranger, but its mostly on some levels you use your beast and some you hit with a maul. And by decent it means doing more dpr than a single class agonizing blast warlock. The real answer is to play the artificer subclass with the robot pet and just call yourself a ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqyGITBTv8

Ranger Build: Poisonous Snake + Melee Ranger
Variant Human 16 Strength. Magic Initiate Feat (find familiar/booming blade)
Level 4: GWM, Level 8:+1 str Level 12:+1 str
Weapon: Maul
Summary:
Level 1:
(.84x10)+(0.0975x7)=9.0825 (+55%)
Level 2: Add in a Hunter’s Mark
(.84x13.5)+(0.0975x10.5)=12.36375 (+62%)
Level 3: Giant Poisonous Snake
Ranger Attack:
(.84x13.5)+(0.0975x10.5)=12.36375 (+62%)
Snake Attack: +8 to hit (+3 to baseline) 1d4+4+prof (1d4+6 or 8.5)
(.9375x8.5)+(0.0975x2.5)+(.9375x8.0)=15.7125 (+105%)
Level 4: Greater Weapon Mastery. Baseline attack drops by -1 for both Ranger(-6gwm)and snake
(.91x8.5)+(0.0975x2.5)+(.91x8.0)=15.25875 (+85%)
Level 5: Snake bite damage +1, Ranger can make single attack, Familiar helps Ranger
Snake bite: (.7x9.5)+(0.05x2.5)+(.7x8.0)=12.375
Ranger+HM (.51x23.5)+(0.0975x10.5)=13.00875
9.75% chance of crit
No advantage, on extra attack 0.095x((0.30x23.5)+(0.05x10.5))=0.7871906
Total Damage: 26.17 (59%)
Level 8: Snake base to hit -1, Ranger Str +1, base damage +1
Level 9: Snake damage +1
Level 11: Snake can attack twice. Familiar helps Ranger.
Snake Bite (0.65x10.5)+(0.05x2.5)+(.65x8)=12.15x2 attacks = 24.30
Ranger+HM (.51x24.5)+(0.0975x10.5)=13.51875
Crit 0.0975x(.3x24.5)+(0.0975x10.5)=0.8164406
Total Damage: 38.86 (+42%)

(Flying snake)
Snake Bite (0.65x5)+(.65x11)=10.4x2 attacks = 20.8
Total Damage: 35.64 (+31%)
Level 12: Ranger +1 str, +1 to hit to baseline and +1 damage.
Level 13: Snake base damage +1
Level 17: Snake +1 base damage
Snake Bite (0.65x11.5)+(0.05x2.5)+(.65x8)=12.8x2 attacks =25.6
Ranger+HM (.5775x25.5)+(0.0975x10.5)+(crit extra attack))x1.0975=17.29
Total Damage: 42.89 (21%)
Ranger+GN (.5775x25.5)+(0.0975x10.5)+(crit extra attack))x1.0975=17.29
Snake Bite (.8775x15)+(0.0975x6)+(.8775x8)=20.7675
Second bite (.65x15)+(0.05x6)+(.65x8)=15.25
Total Damage: 53.31(+51%)

Oh you can also go as a reflavored Dex based Oath of the Ancients Paladin......You get find steed and greater find steed, so those can be companions.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 1, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sion posted:

There really isn't a way to make them unshit. They're kinda broken at a core level. You have to give up one of your own attacks to make your pet attack and your pet's attacks aren't all that great and your pet dies extremely easily. You get a special sword that isn't magical or better than other swords and it can (will) die. Look at that treantmonk video if you wanna make the most out of it though I guess.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Facebook just informed me it's my DM's birthday today. Any good GM gift suggestions for a campaign that's moved entirely online?

Depending on your price range, maybe one of the monster manuals they don't have on whatever online software you're using?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Reveilled posted:

Depending on your price range, maybe one of the monster manuals they don't have on whatever online software you're using?

Any way to do a gift purchase in D&D beyond? That would actually be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any way to do a gift purchase in D&D beyond? That would actually be ideal.

Huh, looks like that might not be possible in D&D Beyond, which is crazy. I've gifted stuff on Roll20 before, I assumed every online system would allow it.