Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been pretty common for the characters to age in CGs. It happened in Arland too, though none of them grew up as dramatically as Ayesha

One thing I wish the old games with time limits would have done is update the sprites as years pass--at least for the young/teenage characters, or even just the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I forgot to post but I beat Elie. Game good. Took a few hours to click but once I understood it I'd rank it above my less-liked modern Ateliers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Do any of you professional atelier players ever play Lise? It's supposed to be very good but it never got translated.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i whipped out lulua for the first time in a year and totori and rorona's frontline field effect is really good (+30% to all elemental attacks) and combos well with totori's capstone weapon (increase item and skill power, decreases wait time for using items by 15%)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recall that there wasn't really a big reason to go all that far into optimizing in Lulua because there just weren't difficult superbosses

maybe the DLC changed that though

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The hard area features a battle with the Machina of God before you can even access it.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I’m at the end of Escha and I had a question, in Shallie, how different are the routes? Lotte is the alchemist that I find more interesting but from what I’ve read, the Stera route is the one that goes much more into the dusk and all the environmental stuff which has interested me the whole time. Could someone let me know the differences between the routes, or if what I read is indeed correct? Thanks

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

numerrik posted:

So I’m at the end of Escha and I had a question, in Shallie, how different are the routes? Lotte is the alchemist that I find more interesting but from what I’ve read, the Stera route is the one that goes much more into the dusk and all the environmental stuff which has interested me the whole time. Could someone let me know the differences between the routes, or if what I read is indeed correct? Thanks

you get some characters earlier depending on which you you choose (wilbell and miruca for lotte, kortes and jurie for stera); the two you don't get off the bat will join you when the shallies actually meet much later on. there's also some exclusive character events for each character, and in late-midgame the two shallies will get in a fight and separate for the rest of the chapter, and take wilbell/miruca or kortes/jurie with them; ayesha appears during stera's side of the split to help her with some things

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There WAS a North American PS4 restock of Ryza on Amazon for $39.99. It already sold out and is back to $75 in the secondhand market. If you have to ask about the Switch version, you can't afford it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Atelier Ryza reprint is back in stock at Amazon. Ships July 4th.

E:

Koei Tecmo official Discord link:

discord.gg/KTFamily

Reddit /r/Atelier discord is also available.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 24, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ended up punting Totori and moving on to Meruru, and I am enjoying it so far! I really like the development project mechanic and seeing the kingdom grow.

I'm probably going to skip Ryza because of the combat, but even once I've finished Meruru I've got all of the Dusk and Mysterious games to play through before then and at the rate I play, by the time I'm done those they'll be several games past Ryza.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Ended up punting Totori and moving on to Meruru, and I am enjoying it so far! I really like the development project mechanic and seeing the kingdom grow.

I'm probably going to skip Ryza because of the combat, but even once I've finished Meruru I've got all of the Dusk and Mysterious games to play through before then and at the rate I play, by the time I'm done those they'll be several games past Ryza.

Don't forget Lulua the fourth Arland game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Don't forget Lulua the fourth Arland game.

You're right, I had forgotten about that!

I'm probably not going to play it until after the Dusk and Mystery games, though, just on the assumption that it has a bunch of QoL improvements that I'll miss in those if I play it right after Meruru.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lulua feels like a Mysterious game set in Arland. Both gameplaywise and in terms of story.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Australian ratings board just released a rating for Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & The Secret Fairy

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The Australian ratings board just released a rating for Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & The Secret Fairy

Huh has there ever been an "atelier <name> 2"? Usually even in direct sequels the mc changed, yeah?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Huh has there ever been an "atelier <name> 2"? Usually even in direct sequels the mc changed, yeah?

Iris maybe? Never managed to play through them but I do remember the protagonist in 1 wasn't the eponymous Iris but Mr. Anime Sword

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

There's an Atelier Iris 2 and 3, though they do have different main characters, and in Japan the naming convention was a bit different

In English it went:

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm

In Japan it went:

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2
Atelier Iris: Grand Phantasm

There's also a Mana Khemia 2 as well, of course, which also changed the main character

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

Iris maybe? Never managed to play through them but I do remember the protagonist in 1 wasn't the eponymous Iris but Mr. Anime Sword

Atelier Iris 2 also actually happened hundreds of years before the events of Atelier Iris 1, to boot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CYBEReris posted:

Iris is an important character in all three. In the first one, she's a long-dead famous alchemist. In the second, she's a child. In the third, she's the main character

It isn't really clear if 2 is a prequel to 1 or if they're unrelated, but 3 is definitely not the same universe

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

No High Impact Sexual Violence this time?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

No High Impact Sexual Violence this time?

That was Gust before being bought by Koei Tecmo

The artist still draws things.
https://twitter.com/mellco

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Oh yeah, it is that time of year isn't it. Nice.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've wanted to get into this series for a long while and with the dusk trilogy in steam sale I thought ooh it's my chance!

...I think I've played Ayesha for 12 hours in 3 days. :negative: Now I understand why they make one of these games a year, it's like crack.

* I know there's a perception of the games being aimless but I don't feel it because I'm constantly setting off plot or character events so there's always something to do. Admittedly I'm starting to feel the time pressure since I'm hitting the end of year 2 and like still haven't touched chain crafts, but I guess that's what multiple saves are for.
* The cast is just so nice. I love how everyone turns out to be weirdos.
* I feel so bad for Fred.
* It seems kinda unfair that Wilbell and Linca are the only non-main characters with costumes. I know that Wilbell appears in multiple games, did Linca? I don't want to look up party members because it was kind of an incredible moment to go from this relatively grounded fantasy setting where magic is fairly rare and boom! Clockwork robot angel girl.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My memory of how long each phase of the game takes is a bit fuzzy, but I think if you've found the library and found the book there you're probably on track for the good ending two years in. Probably fine even if that's still a bit off

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

mycot posted:

I've wanted to get into this series for a long while and with the dusk trilogy in steam sale I thought ooh it's my chance!

...I think I've played Ayesha for 12 hours in 3 days. :negative: Now I understand why they make one of these games a year, it's like crack.

* I know there's a perception of the games being aimless but I don't feel it because I'm constantly setting off plot or character events so there's always something to do. Admittedly I'm starting to feel the time pressure since I'm hitting the end of year 2 and like still haven't touched chain crafts, but I guess that's what multiple saves are for.
* The cast is just so nice. I love how everyone turns out to be weirdos.
* I feel so bad for Fred.
* It seems kinda unfair that Wilbell and Linca are the only non-main characters with costumes. I know that Wilbell appears in multiple games, did Linca? I don't want to look up party members because it was kind of an incredible moment to go from this relatively grounded fantasy setting where magic is fairly rare and boom! Clockwork robot angel girl.

linca appears in multiple games but uh, put a giant asterisk next to her when it comes to her appearances in this series

how many of the special flowers have you gotten? have you gotten to the western badlands yet? that'll give us a better way to gauge your progress so far

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So on my journey back through replaying the series after a long time away, having beaten Rorona and given up on Totori because it's just kinda too rough at this point, I finally got to Meruru. I don't think I actually ever beat this one back on the original, playing the new version on PC and... Is there something wrong with my PC or are the menus in this game like, super laggy? It feels like it takes like 5 full seconds between pressing the dev info button and the dev info screen actually popping up, for instance. I don't REMEMBER it being this bad back in the original version but that was also a loooong time ago. Other than this laggy menu weirdness I like the core loop of this game even if the popularity meter unnecessarily stresses me out. That and the LP system being sorta annoying. I wanna use Keina but she has like no goddamn LP so if I ever want to go on a long journey she already arrives in places super drained.

So far this game is kinda weird since I feel like it's actually got LESS plot than Totori, and only barely more than Rorona. It's not like plot is ever a huge draw for the Atelier series but this feels odd.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

linca appears in multiple games but uh, put a giant asterisk next to her when it comes to her appearances in this series

how many of the special flowers have you gotten? have you gotten to the western badlands yet? that'll give us a better way to gauge your progress so far

As of the actual beginning of Year 3 I just got the desert flower and the rain flower, bringing the total to 4.

...synthesizing an item that can impress Keithgriff might be the most intimidating task in a video game. :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycot posted:

As of the actual beginning of Year 3 I just got the desert flower and the rain flower, bringing the total to 4.

...synthesizing an item that can impress Keithgriff might be the most intimidating task in a video game. :negative:

I believe you're on track for the good ending, so while you can't just waste a bunch of months doing nothing, you can let some of the stress go

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

menu lag stuff

The pc releases for these games had zero effort put into them. The menu lag can be fixed, though. Search my posts in this thread and I posted a fix I found. Hopefully the link still works. Think it should be from around January or February of this year.

edit: Found the post in question. It works for both Rorona and Meruru. Called a resolution hack but it fixes the lag as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881471&userid=193172#post502136946

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 18, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sivek posted:

The pc releases for these games had zero effort put into them. The menu lag can be fixed, though. Search my posts in this thread and I posted a fix I found. Hopefully the link still works. Think it should be from around January or February of this year.

edit: Found the post in question. It works for both Rorona and Meruru. Called a resolution hack but it fixes the lag as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881471&userid=193172#post502136946

Oh wow, thanks, that's MUCH better.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In general Atelier games have their target be the current Playstation console and they port from there.

That PS3 to PS4 transition was really rough on Vita ports.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxywPdCuRNQ

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKmh_bhuUA

9 days until they give us an infodump

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryza 2 more thyza

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that was fast

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thread alive again so I'm gonna say I hate Masked G and he can loving choke!!!

also, is the PlayAsia physical copy of the dusk games included with DLC? I'm not sure if I wanna pack my entire switch just filled with atelier games but ya know, I heard PA sucks.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

All dlc is on cartridge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

thread alive again so I'm gonna say I hate Masked G and he can loving choke!!!

also, is the PlayAsia physical copy of the dusk games included with DLC? I'm not sure if I wanna pack my entire switch just filled with atelier games but ya know, I heard PA sucks.

He's a really hard boss, yeah. Since he's structured as a fight you aren't "supposed" to win, but which you can win. So he's just really absurdly strong.

My set up was speed belts and wake up alarms (or whatever they're called). The alarms meant I didn't need to heal very much and could just focus on DPS. Though I did use elixirs that had a trait to refill my LP since you do a lot less damage when you're exhausted. Even then I was just treading water most of the time. I'd do about the same amount of damage as he was healing, and only make progress with supers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't put my finger on it but Ryza's new outfit looks weird

cute new hair though