Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

It has taken me years to find a playing and writing and recording all in one setup I actually vibe with. I finally loving did it. The only plugins I use (I’ll use more deeper into the mastering process and whatnot) are delays and reverbs. I almost went for something like a TASCAM DP-32SD but I realized I needed to play around for a bit and find the exact point I wanted to allow computers to meet my hardware. I have these + my synths (drumbrute impact, microbrute, volca drum) going straight in to Logic. No virtual instruments, very little latency to worry about, tons of knobs for the bulk of my tone tweaking, minimal time spent adjusting things on the computer. It’s honestly just about as good as it gets for me outside of having some sort of huge vintage studio.

2020 is chaos but I’d let to think I finally caught the big wave on this one and surfed it all the way down to shred city population 1 babbbyyyyyyyyyy

e: the new new gear is the load box btw

Do you use the headphone jack on the Suhr at all? I've been eyeing the Torpedo Captor X as I need an option to play silently and wanted to leave my computer out of the mix for simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Needed a way to practice guitar using headphones and using modelers on my PC was more frustrating than not. I was looking into other options then this popped up on craigslist a few days ago for super cheap so I figured I'd give it a try.

Its a Fender Mustang GT 40 with matching footswitch. So far I've only had about an hour to mess with it and just ended up getting lost in the presets. By default they have all the effects on which sounds like garbage, but I found a couple to use as a starting point to make a basic clean/dirty/distorted bank to begin with. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple decent bass presets made as well.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

New amp crew! I gave in to the Katana hype and it's not hype but awesome! I had to get the 100W version so I could use the GA-FC foot controller and I don't regret it. Being able to load set lists into this thing without having to mess with my pedal board is cooler than I thought. The only pedals I am keeping are a Pitch Fork, tuner, and ABY. Everything else is in the amp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Hell yeah. I'm getting super tempted to get on myself. I have an old Line 6 Spider IV 15w I use under my desk for practice and it's pretty ehhhh. The Katana looks like an awesome SS amp that would do everything I want to do without warming up the tube amp and getting out of my chair. The one I played at the store back in the good days in the great long ago was really nice. :baduk:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New page new purchase for the oddball collection

Harmony branded Explorer, made by Samick. "Active" pickups with coil taps for each, 5 way switch, and a fourth toggle that turns the whole works on and off. Samick's knock-off Floyd Rose that sucks with a behind the nut locking nut that also sucks. Came with a block of wood in the trem cavity, had to add a couple pennies to fully block it from moving. I might remove the locking nut, but I'll have to figure out some kind of string guides or cut a new nut. Banana headstock with the ridiculous string break past the nut.

Overall, this is a terrible guitar. Output jack is a cheap plastic stereo jack. Pickup rings are too tall to get the pickups far enough away from the strings so I can play without banging my pick on everything. Seriously, they only sit ~1/16" away from the strings. If I decide to try to make this playable I will get a set of flat rings and replace the pickups. They are not good.

Next one to find a is Flying V, just not at the ridiculous $500 people seem to think they're worth.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Pitre posted:

New amp crew! I gave in to the Katana hype and it's not hype but awesome! I had to get the 100W version so I could use the GA-FC foot controller and I don't regret it. Being able to load set lists into this thing without having to mess with my pedal board is cooler than I thought. The only pedals I am keeping are a Pitch Fork, tuner, and ABY. Everything else is in the amp.

That's pretty dope. Boss effects are totally functional and I don't know anyone who'd call out not using some boutique delay. I have thought about getting a Line 6 Helix for my keyboards because it's got everything all in one package - but these days performances are suspended, so I may as well just chain my favorite stomp boxes in my basement.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

widefault posted:

New page new purchase for the oddball collection

Harmony branded Explorer, made by Samick. "Active" pickups with coil taps for each, 5 way switch, and a fourth toggle that turns the whole works on and off. Samick's knock-off Floyd Rose that sucks with a behind the nut locking nut that also sucks. Came with a block of wood in the trem cavity, had to add a couple pennies to fully block it from moving. I might remove the locking nut, but I'll have to figure out some kind of string guides or cut a new nut. Banana headstock with the ridiculous string break past the nut.

Overall, this is a terrible guitar. Output jack is a cheap plastic stereo jack. Pickup rings are too tall to get the pickups far enough away from the strings so I can play without banging my pick on everything. Seriously, they only sit ~1/16" away from the strings. If I decide to try to make this playable I will get a set of flat rings and replace the pickups. They are not good.

Please, stop, I can only get so jealous before it becomes a problem. :flashfap:

lovely but interesting guitars are totally my jam and I love this thing.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Pitre posted:

That's a great setup. How does it feel having the amps angled upwards like that?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I had a 100w Katana as a practice amp and it never really did it for me. Leagues better than most modern modeling amps (looking at you Fender GT), but ultimately it was so feature packed I never really used most of it. If that's what you're looking for it's rad.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

That's a great setup. How does it feel having the amps angled upwards like that?

I like that it directs the audio more up at an angle and it seems to help with mids and highs. I can feel the difference between the bass or guitar amp sitting on the floor vs. on amp stands also. BTW, even using earplugs with the Katana on 50W is freaking loud, I can't imagine what cranking it to 100W will be like. Probably stop my heart on an open E power chord.

My music room is getting filled out nicely. It's a good place to hang out while not going out and about as often these days. Have a PS3/PS4 setup there also when I just want to lounge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I need to get/figure out a sturdy way of raising and angling my Bandit, that thing is so dark when it's on the floor and the amount of bass it kicks out is ludicrous even with zeroed bass and dimed treble.
I do love it though, can't use my main Blackstar head at home, the cab is a weird closeback Epiphone 4x10 and is in storage at my usual rehearsal space. Unless it's through my interface and monitors, in which case I've got Cubase open anyway and will just use a sim.
I do eye up the little Katanas, Blackstars etc every now and then but can't really justify them. And I want another 7 string first.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got a Walrus Audio Descent on the way, can't wait to make fun droney noises by combining reverb and octaves :getin:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Living the dream right there. That looks great!

Here’s my latest gear acquisitions. No laughing!

I mused to the wife that I’d like a V, remembering how their ergonomics were nice, playing seated in classical position with one of the vanes down between your legs. So she ordered the (used) Mustaine V on the left as a surprise. In the mean time, I bought the Jay Turser V for a Jackson (the bill, not the guitar) from a neighbor. They both play very well. The Jay Jr has a 24” scale length, which contrasts quite a bit from the Strat-like 25.5 on the VMNTX. They both balance very well when worn standing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Here’s my latest gear acquisitions. No laughing!

This is a pro-King V forum. Nice score. I find them surprisingly comfortable to play too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Awww poo poo, it's new gear time!

It's a Solar A2.7C LH, b-stock with a supposed paint blemish on the neck that I can't seem to find.

But gently caress if I'm not gonna get a brand new left handed 7 string for cheap.

e: yes I need to clean my car out

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 6, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Holy poo poo that is awesome. In fact, I think it looks rad reversed as a RH guitar.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

It's a Solar A2.7C LH, b-stock with a supposed paint blemish on the neck that I can't seem to find.

But gently caress if I'm not gonna get a brand new left handed 7 string for cheap.

I just read this whole post in my head in Ola England's voice
It looks fantastic

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

iospace posted:

Hope they got a good return policy... shits backwards yo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scarf posted:

Hope they got a good return policy... shits backwards yo.

Nah, everyone else is backwards! :v:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

That is a beautiful backwards beast.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
How many SGs is too many?

Epiphone '61 Reissue G-400 Pro in Silverburst from Amazon Warehouse, marked way the hell down because the box was torn. Needs a setup, no relief in the neck and 8/64 at the 15th fret.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

Epiphone '61 Reissue G-400 Pro in Silverburst from Amazon Warehouse, marked way the hell down because the box was torn. Needs a setup, no relief in the neck and 8/64 at the 15th fret.

I do not like SGs, but I like this SG. With the coil taps it reminds me a lot of the Thunderhorse, but, y'know, smaller.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is gonna either suck or be epic.

e: it works well!

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 10, 2020

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

I finished paying off my latest guitar. Decided to celebrate and got this shipped straight from Japan.

It's first year of production too.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Captain Blaargh posted:

I finished paying off my latest guitar. Decided to celebrate and got this shipped straight from Japan.

It's first year of production too.

Nice I have one, but it's MiT. Really I guess I'd prefer a MiJ but does it _really_ sound different? Those 80s boss pedals are too sweet though. I just love my purple MiJ boss flange, which is also a great chorus pedal. I think that HM-2 sounds better on a solid state amp than a tube amp,, or so I've heard.
I think My Bloody Valentine or some popular shoegaze bands use that HM-2 fwiw, besides the obvious Emperor or whatever Swedish heavy metal death band.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 10, 2020

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

widefault posted:

Hell yes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

excellent bird guy posted:

Nice I have one, but it's MiT. Really I guess I'd prefer a MiJ but does it _really_ sound different? Those 80s boss pedals are too sweet though. I just love my purple MiJ boss flange, which is also a great chorus pedal. I think that HM-2 sounds better on a solid state amp than a tube amp,, or so I've heard.
I think My Bloody Valentine or some popular shoegaze bands use that HM-2 fwiw, besides the obvious Emperor or whatever Swedish heavy metal death band.

Almost all pedals’ sound varies because of wide part tolerances used. One MIJ vs another MIJ will sound as different as vs a MIT. The best HM-2s have the capacitor-resistor networks in the eq to be as close to filtering on the frequency bands they were designed for as possible.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 10, 2020

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Almost all pedals’ sound varies because of wide part tolerances used. One MIJ vs another MIJ will sound as different as vs a MIT. The best HM-2s have the capacitor-resistor networks in the eq to be as close to filtering on the frequency bands they were designed for as possible.

In keyboard land component differences are kinda over-hyped, imo. After the 70s or so most components were made to last and to pretty good specs. Electric organs from the 60s and before have wax and paper capacitors which drift way off their original values, and were up to like 25% plus or minus their values from the factory. A lot of it is the factory's quality control as well, though. Hammond organs were engineered very well, but Leslies had way wider variance, so even two of the same era can sound fairly different.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Interesting. I guess if one really wanted to level up their circuitry skills, you could start hardware hacking old Boss pedals to get the best out of them. I know of a few people who produce very modded HM-2 with all kinds of extra features. The guitar pedal, DIY synths, and so on, hobby - if someone was to get deep into it ,could get the job skills to launch a new career or side business.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

iospace posted:

This is gonna either suck or be epic.

e: it works well!

I adore the addition of "not painted well"

Also my Descent came and it's pretty fun! It's not a subtle reverb but I didn't really want that.

e:

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is pretty much what you're paying for when you buy more expensive little electronic bits. They won't necessarily do the thing BETTER but if you buy 100 caps for $1 and 100 caps for $10 the $10 one will, if you didn't just get ripped off and buy the same ones at a markup, all do it more consistently.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 10, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Interesting. I guess if one really wanted to level up their circuitry skills, you could start hardware hacking old Boss pedals to get the best out of them. I know of a few people who produce very modded HM-2 with all kinds of extra features. The guitar pedal, DIY synths, and so on, hobby - if someone was to get deep into it ,could get the job skills to launch a new career or side business.

It’s not overhyped here: the effect the gyrators produce (the buzzsaw) is down to the bass and mid eq bands (mids are fixed in HM-2) form a fifth “chord.” The two caps for each gyrator are 20% tolerance. Imagine being 20% out of tune.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Interesting. I guess if one really wanted to level up their circuitry skills, you could start hardware hacking old Boss pedals

quote:

if someone was to get deep into it ,could get the job skills to launch a new career or side business.

you're literally describing the entire boutique pedal industry

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Pretty much. I've bought so many "boutique" pedals, only to later sell them and re-purchase Boss, EHX, and Ibanez pedals. :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No speaker for it yet, but it sounds great.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

This was about $88 at Amazon Warehouse. Out of the box, the intonation is good, set up is a tiny bit high, but that’s fixable. Sounds great through the amp. Thin and fast satin neck, finish is perfect, no cracks, no sign of damage anywhere.

There seems to be no shortage of great sounding, entirely playable guitars down in the dirt cheap entry level tier.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

iospace posted:

No speaker for it yet, but it sounds great.

I just got the microstack and I had to tweak it but now I really like it.

I just moved so I am lazy to bring it back online.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Follow up on that Monoprice Indio 66 white single cut...

Disappointing to see that one screw went through the thin wood that remained when they drilled out the hole for the jack, but 3 out of 4 screw holes will hold it. Hey that’s nice, a zip tie to tidy up the wi— hey wait what is that loose square on the switch?

Oh, it’s a scrap of electrical tape hiding a haphazard splice. And look at that gorgeous solder work.

I haven’t soldered in about 20 years, but I’m about to get some practice.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You can't aggressively killswitch with that toggle as I found out with my Chinese SG. Slapped a Switchcraft in that bissh and now I'm Matt Pike-in' again.

edit: excuse me DOUBLE CUT not the trademarked "SG."

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago, among everything else. well almost everything, i have a lot of pedals that are in a box
edit: inside the black box beneath my computer table is a made in Germany Hohner Corona 2 (diatonic button accordion). That sucker is hard to play.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago, among everything else. well almost everything, i have a lot of pedals that are in a box
edit: inside the black box beneath my computer table is a made in Germany Hohner Corona 2 (diatonic button accordion). That sucker is hard to play.

good luck programming the DX7. mine is just gathering dust. I do intend to, at some point, get in there and use it, but I mostly picked it up because it was a good deal