Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

drat, I should play a wood elves campaign. Have they added any more stuff to jazz them up like other factions?

They've got a pretty good variety and quality of units, though.

Early game can be tough - Beastmen armies will beeline for the oak or your main territories, so you need to always be prepared to react to defend the homeland. Most other factions will never try and bother your core territories, though. You can also build them up relatively quickly to be strong enough to defend themselves without an army. Confederating the others can be difficult prior to Archaeon and the Chaos invasion, but if you don't get those other territories early, you're really limited. You'll likely have to take them by force, which can be difficult because again, those territories can be powerfully garrisoned.

You'll run into a few problems as the game progresses - conquered non Wood Elf territories cannot be built up significantly, so they'll always have poor economic output and hardly any garrison. You sort of have to decide how to build them. You can emphasize trade goods and cash flow, but you probably won't have any trade partners until late game, so it'll be very small incremental money boosts. You can build the building that slowly gives all of your armies global bonuses. This can get out of control pretty quickly and lead to incredibly powerful armies, but each individual territory will be vulnerable to attack and your economy will always be shaky.

If you can take a lot of port cities, you can get a functional economy. That basically means conquering Brettonia and the Southerners. If you choose, you can also ignore the economy and run your armies as hordes, with an emphasis on sacking to sustain your funds.

Some people feel like Wood Elves have fallen behind in terms of military power, which is somewhat true. Their biggest issue is a complete lack of artillery and very few siege attacker units. Waywatchers are still among the strongest ranged units in the game, Eternal Guards have a kill power that you just don't see in any other tier 1 units, Wildwood Rangers are extremely aggressive and fast 2h AP infantry, Sisters are versatile and deadly support cavalry, Treekin are the OG prometheans, etc. etc. Treemen are kind of lovely because they can get knocked over like giants, but they've at least got armor. Branchwraiths are kind of like vampires in the sense of being a strong mix of melee and magic hero. Their armies can be glass cannon-y, but they're extremely mobile which mitigates a lot of the potential counters to their glass cannon nature. You can't just flank or overrun them as easily as you can something like a Skaven or Empire gunline.

Deltasquid posted:

I conquered them, but now some rogue army called "Beastcatchaz" spawned in Stirland and killed off Stirland who were losing a war against the vampire counts. My empire authority went from 3 to -1.

Is there some way to get that imperial authority back?

Conquer or colonize the lost Stirland territories and you'll get the option to restore the elector count, which will resurrect their faction and give you an authority boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Oof i'm not sure if it was mentioned but at the moment dont recruit Gotrek and Felix for your campaign. If Gotrek dies in battle like he did on my campaign it completely bugs the UI where every time you click the recruit new lord button it crashes straight to desktop. Apparently it's a known bug so hopefully they fix it soon.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Currently slogging it out as Empire and just killed Azhag and Grimgor in a battle. Am I the only one who wishes Legendary Lord wounds lasted longer? By the time my men have restored their lost numbers, the enemy generals are back again to fight.

I know losing a general early on is crippling in alot of games, but late game it feels like they recover too fast IMO. Anyone know of a mod that increases the length of time for Legendary Lords to recover?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dandywalken posted:

Currently slogging it out as Empire and just killed Azhag and Grimgor in a battle. Am I the only one who wishes Legendary Lord wounds lasted longer? By the time my men have restored their lost numbers, the enemy generals are back again to fight.

I know losing a general early on is crippling in alot of games, but late game it feels like they recover too fast IMO. Anyone know of a mod that increases the length of time for Legendary Lords to recover?

the ai gets em back in like 2 turns lol

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, that's one of the more blatant AI "advantages" over the player.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really wish the ai had the same loving rules. It's especially tiring when you've got a few things on the go and can't get rid of a problem because that faction is creating high tier armies our of pure computer magic and tanking your economy while an actual contender is attacking you as well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

I really wish the ai had the same loving rules. It's especially tiring when you've got a few things on the go and can't get rid of a problem because that faction is creating high tier armies our of pure computer magic and tanking your economy while an actual contender is attacking you as well.

not same rules just more subtle cheating

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ammanas posted:

not same rules just more subtle cheating

Even that would be fine.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i hate it when people quote their own posts

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Dark Elf army is really cute, especially hydras. I hope that helps this horny man.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

i hate it when people quote their own posts

:bahgawd: he's broken in half!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

bagrada posted:

Has anyone done a coop tomb kings vortex campaign? Curious how the books work since for the other races you pool your resources but the requirements double I think. So maybe you need to get all 8 books between you? My friend picked up the game and TK so we'll be starting that once we finish our BGA2 nids campaign this weekend.

To answer my own question since we started the playthrough tonight, tomb kings vortex coop does require you to get all 8 books between you instead of just 5.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Should I have not united Norsca asap? This feels too hard and I can't support a second army let alone one good one. I've run out of nearby places to sack and raiding gets me next to nothing. I'm not getting it. The other option is war with everyone and that's going to make matters worse. Also holy poo poo this first hunt is crazy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

JBP posted:

Should I have not united Norsca asap? This feels too hard and I can't support a second army let alone one good one. I've run out of nearby places to sack and raiding gets me next to nothing. I'm not getting it. The other option is war with everyone and that's going to make matters worse. Also holy poo poo this first hunt is crazy.

I find vassalization works best since you don't really want to have to defend norsca. You only need one province that gets fed by your sacking and looting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

I find vassalization works best since you don't really want to have to defend norsca. You only need one province that gets fed by your sacking and looting.

Yeah I've hosed this up. I'm just running around losing income trying to whack miles coming into my land. They die to attrition but wreck four settlements and I can't respond.

Every turn is clicking through 2 imminent rebellions and six upgrade settlements

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The downside to vassalization is that people who wouldn’t normally declare on you will absolutely declare on your vassal. As throgg, I try to leave wulfrik alive for as long as I can while I go beat up kislev and kraka drak

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JBP posted:

Yeah I've hosed this up. I'm just running around losing income trying to whack miles coming into my land. They die to attrition but wreck four settlements and I can't respond.

Every turn is clicking through 2 imminent rebellions and six upgrade settlements

You can turn off those notifications by clicking on the gear next to turn count. I had to turn off heroes because they drove me insane. when I just wanted them to passively sit in a zone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why can't i attack ports at least. I tried to raid and poo poo early but I'd just get jumped by three stacks of bretonnians somehow. This sucks. Not having fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Norsca is one of the bottom three campaigns atm. I'm sorry Warhammer friend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doomykins posted:

I just started attacking everything at once with trash and now I'm very popular with the rats and poo poo. Maybe I can rescue this. I just wanted to raid and help chaos but I'm ages in and no chaos stacks have come.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Is it me or is does this game have much harder starts than past iterations?

Finally bought Warhams 2 and had a quick play with both lizards and Settra on mortal empires and all of them seem way tougher than I'm used it.

I'm not new to TW. I've played since medieval 1 and I'm even currently running an Attila western Roman Empire let's play on VH with goons making all the decisions and they, for example seems easier than the two lizard starts.

Have they upped the AI cheats/difficulties for this game or made a lot of the starts more difficult?

I also wonder if I'm rushing too fast, trying to get my initial province and obvious surrounding areas sorted in about 20 turns might be fighting against a timer that's not there?

Oh and for reference I've been running on VH/VH

Incidentally thanks to the guy a few pages back who reminded me of the fun of history points in TW Medieval 1. The pain of the early age French one lives on.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 1, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
There was a mod for tomb king upgrades ala scrap upgrades, but it seems to have been removed from the workshop? Damnit I was just about to start a tomb kings playthrough.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Keep in mind with Tomb king's it's perfectly fine to lose everything in a battle (so long as you try to keep your starting huge monster) since even on a terrible loss you can just make another free army and try again.

Tomb king's get the ball rolling around turn 15-40 with extra lord's available and a T3 or higher city and being able to just throw another 20 stack of skeletons at your problems.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, Kroq-Gar's ME campaign is no joke now. You are locked in your own tiny corner of the world with a lovely economy, surrounded by mountains which are orange terrain for lizardmen. Grimgor and Snikch constantly attack. There's also Queek, but he's dead now. It's like turn 85 and I have made no headway.

This is fun. :shepface:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Man, Kroq-Gar's ME campaign is no joke now. You are locked in your own tiny corner of the world with a lovely economy, surrounded by mountains which are orange terrain for lizardmen. Grimgor and Snikch constantly attack. There's also Queek, but he's dead now. It's like turn 85 and I have made no headway.

This is fun. :shepface:
I'm guessing Snikch tore Malus and Imrik apart already?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

I'm guessing Snikch tore Malus and Imrik apart already?
No idea about Imrik, but Malus is still alive on his islands. I had planned to expand there at some point, but that obviously hasn't happened. After annihilating the umpteenth skaven stack, Snikch finally accepted peace so I'm free to attack Grimgor like a complete idiot.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Doomykins posted:

The Dark Elf army is really cute, especially hydras. I hope that helps this horny man.

Can you quote the original post of these or something? I love them but I don't remember where in the thread to find them or who made them!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Keep in mind with Tomb king's it's perfectly fine to lose everything in a battle (so long as you try to keep your starting huge monster) since even on a terrible loss you can just make another free army and try again.

Tomb king's get the ball rolling around turn 15-40 with extra lord's available and a T3 or higher city and being able to just throw another 20 stack of skeletons at your problems.

Another TK trick is that, since recruitment costs zero, global recruitment also costs zero so you can rebuild an army from scratch 1.5 times faster than anyone

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is it me or is does this game have much harder starts than past iterations?

Finally bought Warhams 2 and had a quick play with both lizards and Settra on mortal empires and all of them seem way tougher than I'm used it.

I'm not new to TW. I've played since medieval 1 and I'm even currently running an Attila western Roman Empire let's play on VH with goons making all the decisions and they, for example seems easier than the two lizard starts.

Have they upped the AI cheats/difficulties for this game or made a lot of the starts more difficult?

I also wonder if I'm rushing too fast, trying to get my initial province and obvious surrounding areas sorted in about 20 turns might be fighting against a timer that's not there?

Oh and for reference I've been running on VH/VH

Incidentally thanks to the guy a few pages back who reminded me of the fun of history points in TW Medieval 1. The pain of the early age French one lives on.

Many starts have gotten harder over time as more and more legendary lords are sprinkled onto the map to be nasty neighbors. For you to come in now, it's a pretty crowded map. Settra does have a slower start in general as does any TK with the very crappy starting skeletons and unique requirements for gradually tiering up.

I wouldn't really recommend anybody play above H/H anyways, above that it's just arbitrary public order and combat stat penalties that are more annoying than challenging and ruin the feel of the game to me

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Yeah playing this game on anything above hard is a joyless chore

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A lot of it i think is that you can't just push and push and push anymore. All the LL's mean if you push too hard you'll eventually be hit by a couple of lords who have some actually scary armies at the same time. I think as gelt i spent about 30 turns just pacifying sylvania.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah don't be afraid to sacrifice infinite skeletons to solve your problems as Tomb Kings. Their economy exists only to upgrade their settlements so they can get better troops. Their troops are free. Get enough canoptic jars and 10k gold as well and you can just buy another +army slot as well as research that stuff

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Cheers, mate !

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malus darkblade just recruited two full stacks in three turns (including resurrecting himself) from his last small settlement and also has his ark that's I've sunk twice lmao.

Oh yeah and the ark fires machine gun magic. Doesn't matter though, I'm Imrik. Imrik is beyond him in battle. As he is beyond everyone.

Lol he spent two turn trying to ambush. Turned out when I went to attack him he had an ambush behind his ambush then Imrik killed everyone in both. How tiresome.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 1, 2020

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Weapon strength fix is in a opt-in beta patch on steam, 1.9.2.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Doomykins posted:

norsca owns but it has the critical problem of chase that loving AI army when you're on the defensive

the goal is of course to never be on the defensive, but that's not super practical. parking an army out at sea will stop them from ever reaching you in theory, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get a mod that gives you extra movement range in your home territory so you can chase down the rear end in a top hat AI easier. It's so much more convenient and you don't have to waste your time chasing AI armies around too much once they are inside your borders

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

UP AND ADAM posted:

Weapon strength fix is in a opt-in beta patch on steam, 1.9.2.

Any other fixes of note in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just had to attack a doomstack waaaagh orc army to save the last dwarfs in the mountains (I have a heart of gold for an elf) and I was worried about the spiders. So Imrik rides around talking poo poo slaying them with three units of turbocharged dragon princes running interference for him. This guy is a monster. He's a hero.