Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

four games into the shovel knight series, the combination of instand death pits and dark souls dropping money on death is still a lovely idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm really not enjoying Wildfire as much as I expected, for those that don't know it's a 2d stealth / immersive sim game but it really felt like the devs were way to much into their own systems and fell to the trap of their testers being to good at the game/ super hardcore.

Every enemy except the archers will instantly counter any attempt to jump over them so you if you get cornered you are stuck there until you die. Which is made worse because any hit makes you drop whatever you are holding most of which are destory on when you drop them so any tools you had for escaping are usually lost when you are discovered.

Contrary to pretty mich every modern stealth game the enemies can see you when you are hanging on a ledge below them so you actually need to grow a vine and climb down lower to be hidden.

I just finished a mission that required me yo knock someone out and the only reasen I could finish it was that I picked up a random drop that let me drop down on enemies to knock them out, until then I had no reliable way of KOing enemies, and it's not like I could go the lethal way either since the only way to kill people I've found is to scare them and hope they run of a cliff, which rarely happens. You'd think that you could set them on fire, but even if I stun or root them in the middle of a fire, they get free before they acutally catch take enough damage. At least I always get the no kills bonus since I can't even kill them if I wanted to.

Then there is stuff like the fact that it takes like half a second before you actually start sprinting, which makes a lot of the platforming really annoying.

Or that reloading seems to break scripting, leaving enemies frozen in position instead of patrolling or things burning despite you loading to a time where they weren't lit yet.

Hel has a new favorite as of 21:41 on May 30, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Really liking the new Shantae game, but it's aggravating that they introduced a great new mechanic in a frustrating way. You get a few slots to equip cards from defeated monsters giving you various buffs, which is great, but the cards are random drops that take a varying number to equip (from 1 to 10) and there's no immediate way to tell when you've hit that number, so you basically end up stopping and diving into the menus every time a card pops up just to see if there's anything new you can do.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I'm not a gun person, but akimbo pistols is one of those things I'd really like to try just once.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of the later 2D fire emblems, and I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic. It's my first FE in 15 years and I love the greater game play variety and better narrative, but I think the visual style is a step down. That's not to say that I want it to be 2D, but the 2D games had better animations, better visual clarity, and some really outstanding sprite art for such small features. Three Houses, on the other hand, is not a pretty game. It's not an ugly game, but a lot of the textures are muddy and bland, the terrain is sometimes difficult to read, and a lot of the battle animations are second-rate. It almost seems like the developers are uncomfortable with 3D games in general, like the camera is pretty awful inside and outside of battle and the monastery feels blocky and not very intuitively laid out.

The way all of the skills use the same animation is super lame.

Moreso I wish the entire plotline with the Slithers was something that actually like, existed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cuntellectual posted:

The way all of the skills use the same animation is super lame.

Moreso I wish the entire plotline with the Slithers was something that actually like, existed.

I actually really like how they did Three Houses' story conceptually, but it is kinda disappointing by design. Every single route leaves plotlines deliberately unanswered; I went Blue Lions, so the Slithers are only around for just long enough to know that I am definitely missing something important.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I actually really like how they did Three Houses' story conceptually, but it is kinda disappointing by design. Every single route leaves plotlines deliberately unanswered; I went Blue Lions, so the Slithers are only around for just long enough to know that I am definitely missing something important.

It feels like they had this idea of three kingdoms houses and tried to build a story around that versus building the story first and the factions later.

Realistically, they picked the worst way to do it with 3.5 full campaigns. People that don't care will leave after one house. People that do care are put through the same maps, quests, supports, and cutscenes over and over. On your first playthrough everything is fresh, but the more you commit the more you see how much is clumsily reused and recycled.

What's even lamer is that despite three supposedly radically different factions, you generally fight the same way in each route. The game pushes you towards having a balanced party with one tank, one white mage, one black mage, a sword guy, an archer, a cavalier, the lord. Maybe Golden Deer have two archers and Blue Lions have two cavaliers, but in my experience the factions look near identical by the end. When you can recruit nearly any character, and reclass anyone into almost anything, the armies are almost identical on the gameplay level.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Really why use anyone when you can get Lorenz cause he is handsome and also gives the paralogue for Thyrsus and then get Lysithea to use Thyrsus and loving MURDER EVERYTHING

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Leal posted:

Really why use anyone when you can get Lorenz cause he is handsome and also gives the paralogue for Thyrsus and then get Lysithea to use Thyrsus and loving MURDER EVERYTHING

'cause he's a ding dong fucko creepazoid incel surfing on a wave of trust funds and horseshit, gently caress em

I instantly dropped him in favor of Sylvain, #1 sex-haver and bad-boy. He and Claude are my friends and they kiss A LOT

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

lol Sylvain wishes he could get anywhere close to Ignatz

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, Fire Emblem (and Three Houses especially) strikes me as a game with a similar problem Shin Megami Tensei had around when SMTIV came out: so much of its challenge came from dealing with losses and it being so hard to play 'optimally', but the way they made that happen fell away over time.

I feel like Fire Emblem has a harder road to get back from, though. With SMT the problem was that fusion was random to the point where getting a 'perfect' demon was really hard, but then the internet showed us all that everyone was just okay with rerolling for twenty minutes anyway. So they made it more controllable, and then took a couple of games until they figured out how to make things challenging anyway, which was mostly a numbers game. SMT only had to solve that it was now easier to prepare right; it could still be hard to play right.

But Fire Emblem instead has a couple of things to grapple with.
A: the internet means that it's super easy to learn how to play 'optimally'; you learn what units are best with what classes and equipment, how to recruit more hidden or difficult units, what supports exist, all that.
B: because of the rewind mechanic (which is honestly a fantastic idea), it's now much easier to actually DO more optimal play. You can avoid deaths or tough situations without much trouble.

Both of those combine and compound to mean that what used to be a really varied gameplay experience with a lot of focus on 'play the hand you're dealt' is now SUPER homogenous. Stick everyone with the optimal classes, very rarely lose any of those well-picked characters and have to make do without them, and even if you did, you know how to recruit loving everybody so you've got stacks of spares.

All of that hits worst in Three Houses, because while it's designed and written in a way that encourages replaying, it's just too easy to get every unit, have them be their best class, and have every single playthrough be the same anyway. Recycled maps and scenarios would be much less of an issue if every playthrough you had a very different roster, but there's nothing stopping you from fielding the exact same perfect lineup in every route.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Jun 1, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, Fire Emblem (and Three Houses especially) strikes me as a game with a similar problem Shin Megami Tensei had around when SMTIV came out: so much of its challenge came from dealing with losses and it being so hard to play 'optimally', but the way they made that happen fell away over time.

You're right that it's just too easy to avoid death and end up with this perfect invincible army.

At the same time, everyone in your class has to be disposable and replaceable if you do decide to let them die, so they don't get a real part in the story beyond throwaway lines in group cutscenes. I would prefer a game with a smaller cast that gets more to do in the plot.

It sounds heretical, but part of me thinks that permadeath isn't worth it anymore. When you get 5+ rewinds, and when you can just restart the map if you run out–I'm not sure what the feature gives you, and it limits the cast outside of battles. Outside of the highest difficulty, I don't think Fire Emblem has been known for its challenge for a long time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Considering how bad FE Fates was, I was hoping they wouldn't be crazy enough to make another one with multiple stories like that but lo and behold they did.

At least Three Houses is one game to begin with rather than having to be split into three 20$ ones.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Three Houses sucks cause there isn't a secret ending where you got thrown out of the school for letting all your students die.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Less than two week ago, Total Warhammer 2 released a DLC for a new Orc lord with a new campaign alongside a huge free update for the rest of the orcs. Just recently, for a yearly Warhammer-themed Steam event, they also patched in a new hero unit for Orc armies. You can't recruit the new guy in any of the campaigns started before he was added, you have to make a new save :orks:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zanzibar Ham posted:

For a while I was convinced the Mad Max game purposefully spawned a car to run you and wanderers over as the cutscene where you give them a drink was playing out because it just kept happening.

haha having just mostly finished MM, /gestures with flask, uncaps it and holds it o-*HONK HOOONK**

:mad: indeed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You're right that it's just too easy to avoid death and end up with this perfect invincible army.

At the same time, everyone in your class has to be disposable and replaceable if you do decide to let them die, so they don't get a real part in the story beyond throwaway lines in group cutscenes. I would prefer a game with a smaller cast that gets more to do in the plot.

It sounds heretical, but part of me thinks that permadeath isn't worth it anymore. When you get 5+ rewinds, and when you can just restart the map if you run out–I'm not sure what the feature gives you, and it limits the cast outside of battles. Outside of the highest difficulty, I don't think Fire Emblem has been known for its challenge for a long time.

I'm thinking out how you could solve the 'objectively correct, massive superarmy' problem, and I think it's very possible to make a version of Three Houses that avoids this. I think they'd just need to do a few things:

1. Raise the requirements for recruiting others in the first place. That should be something that only happens a handful of times in a blind playthrough, I shouldn't end up with all but like, three recruitable units on my team on my first game.

2. Don't have every unit always be available. 3H does this to a very slight extent, but I'd escalate it further, make it so almost every unit is unavailable but still 'recruited' at some point. Persona 3 did this, and I think it went a ways towards shaking that game out of the 'perfect A-team lineup' problem that the Personas after that (and, yeah, most Fire Emblems) had.

3. introduce ways to stop you from recruiting everyone. Earlier Fire Emblem games had some units where recruiting one locks out another, which is a solid angle, but if they want such a large base pool of recruits I think they need to be more restrictive and have ways to lock you out of units, so it's not even possible to get everyone. Off the top of my head, they could've had...
-Sylvain is fairly easy to recruit, but he's a total sleaze, so several female characters refuse to join.
-Felix is racist and sexist, so you can't recruit him if you've got any of the multiple characters he hates.
-Marianne refuses to join you if your Reason is higher than your Faith.
-Hilda is lazy, and quits if you overuse her.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm back to grinding my way through Assassin's Creed Origins and it really is such a bloated game.

The scope of classical Egypt is amazing and huge, but like... was someone really proud of this little outpost out of the forty or whatever in the game that they designed? The one where I ran in, backstabbed the captain, grabbed the treasure, and then ran out without giving a second thought?

The quest writing is also inconsistent. Most of the quests that try to have 'funny' writing are just tedious. The one exception is the one I just did, 'Forging Siwa' where a little girl is trying to sell you obviously fake poo poo and ends her sentences with "would you liiiiiike?" in a perfect poo poo-eating tone; and then you rescue her mother from bandits after her fake wares and the hero Bayek yells out "I have a nice sword for you! WOULD YOU LIKE?!"

The whole quest only takes like four minutes and is short and sweet, and I could've used more like that instead of another outpost or lootable building.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So I've dipped my toe back into Satisfactory the past couple of week; a game I've dug but kinda 'finished' at the time. I was mostly done before (as much as an early-access game could be 'done'), but I've got a lot of new stuff to play with, right?

Huh, where are the ramps and stuff? Oh, they put it into a system where you destroy old materials for points for coupons, and use the coupons to buy things you could have just unlocked before.

Ugh.

Okay, so I'll grab some stuff I'm not using and make coupons... except I can't, this is a factory game, so you have to build a storage building and link a conveyor to the thing and yadda yadda yadda..

:negative:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bewilderment posted:

I'm back to grinding my way through Assassin's Creed Origins and it really is such a bloated game.

The scope of classical Egypt is amazing and huge, but like... was someone really proud of this little outpost out of the forty or whatever in the game that they designed? The one where I ran in, backstabbed the captain, grabbed the treasure, and then ran out without giving a second thought?

The quest writing is also inconsistent. Most of the quests that try to have 'funny' writing are just tedious. The one exception is the one I just did, 'Forging Siwa' where a little girl is trying to sell you obviously fake poo poo and ends her sentences with "would you liiiiiike?" in a perfect poo poo-eating tone; and then you rescue her mother from bandits after her fake wares and the hero Bayek yells out "I have a nice sword for you! WOULD YOU LIKE?!"

The whole quest only takes like four minutes and is short and sweet, and I could've used more like that instead of another outpost or lootable building.

"Would you liiiiiike" is a fullbody shudder from me buddy. Origins is great, but BOY is the writing awful in places.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Permadeath makes you play differently even with infinite rewinds. Without permadeath you can use strategies where you sacrifice half of your units every map. With it you need to figure out strategies where they all survive. I didn't like Three Houses that much though so idk.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Permadeath makes you play differently even with infinite rewinds. Without permadeath you can use strategies where you sacrifice half of your units every map. With it you need to figure out strategies where they all survive. I didn't like Three Houses that much though so idk.

Yeah I’ve been playing Awakening without perma death to try and finally actually finish it instead of the “play 12 chapters or so and then put it down for long enough that I restart when I finally get back to it, rinse and repeat” cycle that I’ve been in for years. I thought it would just be like an easy baby mode that I could blast through pretty quick but it actually just changes the strategy and your whole way of thinking about the mission—now you can sacrifice units like chess pieces but at the cost of them not being able to gain XP or raise support levels for the rest of the match, which is a big enough deal to disincentivize you from sacrificing them too readily

I don’t know if I like it better than perma death, I feel like I’m still going to play most Fire Emblem games with perma death on, but I was surprised that it’s basically a different experience entirely instead of just an easy mode

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Riatsala posted:

'cause he's a ding dong fucko creepazoid incel surfing on a wave of trust funds and horseshit, gently caress em

Doesn't help that Ferdinand is the same character but better. And Lorenz's C and B supports with Byleth are "Students have been filing sexual harassment complaints against you, stop it." "But you don't understaaaaand, I have a duty as a noble to perv on every girl who catches my eye!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol Sylvain wishes he could get anywhere close to Ignatz

Ignatz's supports with Flayn made me seriously concerned Flayn would pounce on the poor boy and drag him off to a quiet back room.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

bony tony posted:

"Would you liiiiiike" is a fullbody shudder from me buddy. Origins is great, but BOY is the writing awful in places.

It has a great optional payoff though where you can go back to the kid after the quest and Bayek says "so still selling artifacts from Siwa?" and the child says "No, too risky... these are genuine artifacts from Giza! Would you liiiiiike?" and Bayek responds "you are still a cheeky child" in a very "haha gently caress you too kid" way.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love everything about the Mortal Kombat games - except actually playing them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I love everything about the Mortal Kombat games - except actually playing them.

I kinda like their insane over-the-top story and style, and occasionally get the urge to give one a try. Have never made it through the tutorials before giving up, lol.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bewilderment posted:

It has a great optional payoff though where you can go back to the kid after the quest and Bayek says "so still selling artifacts from Siwa?" and the child says "No, too risky... these are genuine artifacts from Giza! Would you liiiiiike?" and Bayek responds "you are still a cheeky child" in a very "haha gently caress you too kid" way.

And then you shoot her with an arrow, and the desynch you get for it is utterly worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's cool, I hobbled my way to a 5th win against the Heart only to find that Everything is Terrible and the game got harder. And that's just a thing forever now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I kinda like their insane over-the-top story and style, and occasionally get the urge to give one a try. Have never made it through the tutorials before giving up, lol.

The tutorials are weirdly difficult sometimes. I have probably 100 hours on MK11 between PS4 and PC and had to make a concerted effort to beat them. The story mode works great as a way to learn the game and characters, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The tutorials are weirdly difficult sometimes. I have probably 100 hours on MK11 between PS4 and PC and had to make a concerted effort to beat them. The story mode works great as a way to learn the game and characters, though.

I will give it another try some time, maybe I can just muddle through story mode enough to get some enjoyment out of em.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Len posted:

That's cool, I hobbled my way to a 5th win against the Heart only to find that Everything is Terrible and the game got harder. And that's just a thing forever now?

Yep.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

drat it.

Also orbital tears are garbage who would want those?!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Len posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. You'll just start seeing more champion enemies, which won't really ever pose a threat to you, but are usually guaranteed to drop resources. Once you're good enough to unlock Everything is Terrible, it's practically a net positive.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Len posted:

Also orbital tears are garbage who would want those?!

They're okay if you have a high tear rate, piercing, and high range. As with most items, they're situational. Most of the time they're bad, yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Orbital tears are rad when you combine them with another item that changes the way they fire like Technology, because then you get a laser that spins around you before firing straight off. I never had much use for orbital tears without synergizing though.

edit: Orbital tears is also good (situationally) with items that increase their damage or speed or range the longer they're in the air. Since they fly around you for a long rear end time they can pick up a ton of speed or extra damage from it. And if you have a type of tears that make them pass through objects you can just hold down any fire button and have a constant circle of tears that can only be destroyed by hitting enemies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I will give it another try some time, maybe I can just muddle through story mode enough to get some enjoyment out of em.
I finished MK9 despite being very bad at it because it drops the difficulty whenever you lose a fight a couple of times. It's actually pretty annoying if you want to be challenged because it's actually pretty dramatic and it doesn't account for the fact that some opponents are just more difficult to beat than others, or for the fact that you're forced to switch characters every few fights so it's going to take you a minute to get the hang of the new one. You're probably better off just watching the cutscenes on YouTube, honestly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tiggum posted:

I finished MK9 despite being very bad at it because it drops the difficulty whenever you lose a fight a couple of times. It's actually pretty annoying if you want to be challenged because it's actually pretty dramatic and it doesn't account for the fact that some opponents are just more difficult to beat than others, or for the fact that you're forced to switch characters every few fights so it's going to take you a minute to get the hang of the new one. You're probably better off just watching the cutscenes on YouTube, honestly.

For what it's worth, I think MK11 ditched the adaptive difficulty for just having straight-up difficulty levels. Those levels do seem consistent--at the very least, Kronika always gives me about the same level of trouble no matter how many consecutive attempts I take. If they're still doing adaptive difficulty, they're way better at hiding it.

Thing dragging MK11 down: Kronika isn't playable, despite being the coolest boss character I've ever seen and non-playable boss characters generally not being in vogue anymore. I wanna play as the insane time goddess, damnit!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SkeletonHero posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. You'll just start seeing more champion enemies, which won't really ever pose a threat to you, but are usually guaranteed to drop resources. Once you're good enough to unlock Everything is Terrible, it's practically a net positive.

I don't want to overstate the threat of champion enemies too too much, but they can be real bastards, especially with the wrong champ variant/enemy combo. But also if you're staying on Normal difficulty you're probably not gonna see a ton of them unless you've got one of two items that boost their spawn rate.

I also learned something new! I'm used to playing on Hard so I would've rated the drop rate of items from champions around 30-40% and was going to correct you, but it turns out on Normal they do generally drop goodies while on Hard the chance is, in fact, cut down to 33%.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what? i have never played MK11 and probably never will but i still like watching the story and such... and i have definitely seen Kronika gameplay vids and her fatality. is she a modded character on the PC version or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I dipped back into Jedi: Fallen Order and on a PS4, running from the HD (well, an external drive) there's a huge amount of stuttering and frame drops on one specific cutscene on Kashyyk. Nothing around it, the big elaborate setpiece where you're driving an AT-AT and blowing up soldiers runs fine, the action after runs fine, just that one scene had me thinking they were somehow overclocking my console.

And this is just after it downloaded a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dash Rendar posted:

what? i have never played MK11 and probably never will but i still like watching the story and such... and i have definitely seen Kronika gameplay vids and her fatality. is she a modded character on the PC version or something?

She's a character in the game, you do fight her (and she does have a Fatality in that fight), which means that mods can make her playable. Although I believe that even if you do, she's incomplete.

Sektor and Cyrax are the same; you fight them in the game's story mode, and they do exist as playable if you mod the game, but they aren't complete. Although I believe they're technically more complete than Kronika; they're based on Triborg from MKX, so they have a full lineup of normals and specials.