Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm just going to order the loving tube tire version, pay the $15 restock fee and not worry about it, I think. I've got the time and the cost is insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BreakingChesky/status/1266220933800505347

admit it. you'd ride through riot target

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Photo captured on scene.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Coydog posted:

All motorcycle seats suck. It's an easy issue to fix and you have your choice of comfy aftermarket alternatives. The 650 Strom/sv is a bit too powerful for some beginners, and it's a semi heavy bike. The cb500x is lighter, carries it's weight low, and has forgiving power delivery.

I adore the vstrom, so if you love it and only had a problem with the seat then that's no big deal. Just know what you are getting into.

"Cheaper but worse" is such an amazing way to describe that sort of trash design. Love it.

Why do you need a bike in two days? Why do you need to buy new? Why are you compromising on a trash bike because they can get your color.
Well IDK, it's one of two seats so far that made me feel uncomfortable right away, I also couldnt find any real replacement for it.
I don't need it in two days, but I'd like to get one before the weekend so I can use my days of for riding.
I also don't need to buy new, but there are almost 0 used bikes that aren't more expensive than a new one around me... It's why I really would have liked the V-Strom.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its a shame if the seat is putting you off the Vstrom, its a good bike otherwise

But replacements should be available, Ive seen gel padded seats for them. But of course if you buy a bike and then have to wait for a new seat for some time, its kinda lame.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The V-Strom is a good bike, I owned one for a couple years. Didn't like the stock seat either, replaced it with a Corbin and never looked back.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ola posted:

Photo captured on scene.

I like how the default for making cartoon motorcycles look badass is more exhaust pipes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like that its a two stroke with two exhaust ports and a header for each

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That bike would give you back ache as soon as you started moving. Sensible that he's put crash bars on it though.

As I was trundling along the autoroute at 20 over the limit today I failed to notice a black police car with its blue lights on sitting on my back wheel. Thought I was in for a ticket but I pulled over and he just blasted off.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like that its a two stroke with two exhaust ports and a header for each

I think Honda actually did that once. They had a single with two exhaust headers. One per valve.

Edit: yep, XR400R. Which genuine then cloned the engine of, and turned into a streetbike with the same setup. 400cc single, full-on dual exhausts.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 29, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

I like how the default for making cartoon motorcycles look badass is more exhaust pipes.

This is also true of real motorcycles

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does that bike sound as good as the original CBX though? I don’t understand how header and exhaust design affects the engine note, but the original sounds incredible.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I bought my first bike back in mid-march. A 2009 KLR 650 with 20000 miles on it, it ran pretty well with the only caveat of it burning oil like no other, seriously every 200-300 miles I had to put in a quart.

Around the end of April I went out riding with a friend somewhere I had not been in a ditch trail of sorts, hit the hump up to the road probably going around 40-50, got some air, landed on really uneven terrain and crashed it on the right side. He did say I was getting pretty cocky so honestly my own dumb rear end and lack of experience is what caused the crash.

Destroyed a bunch of the faring, cracked the center cowling, destroyed the windshield, bent the handlebars and possibly bent the front brake lever. Surprisingly the turn signal and headlight were perfectly fine. Engine also would not turn over, just a rapid clicking from starter not being able to move.

So, my friend has been helping me to get it up and running again. We took off the crank case and removed the rotor. The balancing chain had gotten jammed and managed to break a link, all the gears were in fine shape and the cam chain was perfectly fine. After replacing the chain which cost $300 burger dollars, everything will freely move and the piston is going up and down from hand cranking, but it still will not start.

We tried swapping my battery and starter for functional ones from his KLR and then hooking up jumper cables to the battery. Some progress was made and the engine did crank a little but gave out after around 5-6 turns of the piston, we did this with both the spark plug in and out. It seems like there is too much pressure for it crank properly.

Another thing to note is the sparkplug does not seem to be sparking, even with a new one. I assume the engine is not turning enough to actually generate enough electricity to make it spark though.

This initially started as a question post but the more I think about it I feel like we are going to end up rebuilding the entire engine as it seems like one thing after another keeps cropping up and the aforementioned oil burning issue, it might just be worth going through it all replacing anything that looks damaged. If we go this route I am also going to replace the hoses/tubes and replace all the fuses, already found one that popped. I get the feeling the previous 2 owners never took care of this bike or did regular maintenance of any kind.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jeesis posted:

Another thing to note is the sparkplug does not seem to be sparking, even with a new one. I assume the engine is not turning enough to actually generate enough electricity to make it spark though.

Dude..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your best option here depends on what you paid for the bike. If you paid a lot, you need a mechanic or a second hand engine. If you paid a little, just get a different less awful bike. From the content of your post IMO it's not a good idea to attempt rebuilding it yourself as a bike with a completely disassembled engine is worth even less than a complete one that doesn't run.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly surprised all of that happened. Despite my feeling on klr, I thought they were invincible to mortal harms.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't know where you got that idea, they seem to fall apart on their own often enough. But they do also attract the type of person who's only criteria for the bike being roadworthy are having two wheels and an engine that starts, which could be distorting my view. Generally they get serviced when they stop going, I've had multiple people with klr's, hyosungs and other dregs absolutely stunned to learn that a new spark plug and an oil change won't fix years' worth of neglect and dumbshittery.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish they made a GoPro with magnetic charging. I’d buy a new one just to be able to leave it in my helmet mount and clip a charger to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I see a metric ton of 90 degree magnetic USB-C adapters on Amazon, if yours is new enough to have USB-C. I don’t know if the older ones use a proprietary connector or micro/mini-USB but I remember seeing a bunch of micro/mini USB magnetic adapters too.

I’m toying with the idea but I’ve been too focused on riding and haven’t actually turned my GoPro on this year yet :(

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rolo posted:

I wish they made a GoPro with magnetic charging. I’d buy a new one just to be able to leave it in my helmet mount and clip a charger to it.

I guess it would depend on the version, but this is a 5 (I think) and the charger door just pops off; I also have a 7 that does the same thing, and I think the new ones don't even have an external case. The battery dies in about an hour, so I usually plug it into a power bank battery I keep in my jacket if I'm going out for a while. I absolutely never ride without my GoPro since the whole dump truck incident.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I never ride anywhere without a camera running, weird/bad stuff always happens if I don't have one.

Perfect case in point, one day right after I got a new helmet, I decided to ride in to work that morning. The roads were wet as it had been raining, so I should have just drove, but new helmet excitement. I hadn't bothered to move the camera mount for my helmet yet, but figured it's only about 15 minutes away, what could happen?

Smash cut to fender bender on the road right ahead of me, I almost lock up the brakes and come this close to rear ending the fender-benderer who turned out to be a coworker of mine, WHO when I went over to ask if everything was all right and let my head clear from panic mode, felt that was the best time to ask me about the status of a support ticket she had in.

Can't make this poo poo up and now I'll never have video proof of it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have a helmet cam/dashcam/gopro knockoff thing that I've meant to put on my helmet for like a year. I really need to. Crazy stuff happens all the time, like people pulling out in front.

But I'm a good rider that leaves wide margin for error and has eyes like M42s av so I've been fortunate so far.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is also true of real motorcycles

CBX1000 cafe racer.jpg

Yeah but that bike isn't breaking the exhaust pipes <= number of cylinders rule, so more pipes = badass works

also don't hotlink pictures from other websites, rehost it on imgur or something

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Strife posted:

I guess it would depend on the version, but this is a 5 (I think) and the charger door just pops off; I also have a 7 that does the same thing, and I think the new ones don't even have an external case. The battery dies in about an hour, so I usually plug it into a power bank battery I keep in my jacket if I'm going out for a while. I absolutely never ride without my GoPro since the whole dump truck incident.

drat mines a 7 so I’ll have to check.

Edit: yep. Props. Thank you.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Also don’t post pics of a CBX hacked up into a cafe racer, it makes me sad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I would have preferred a stock one, I just couldn't find any with both a good angle on the photo and the 6-6 system (they all seemed to be that perpendicular profile against a white wall that autotrader loves but is thoroughly uninspiring)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I own a brand new CB500X(A) now, kinda pressured my dealer by telling him I'll buy it NAO if he can promise to have it ready on saturday, had him send the papers and went to the DMV after test riding the TRK502. First DMV (which are actually the insurances acting as proxies) said the COC paper the dealer sent me wasn't allowed to be faxed or emailed and I needed a compliance report. Called the dealer, he said they only have that, had them talk to each other, it totally escalated, ending in my dealer asking for name and everything to file a complaint.
I just went to the next DMV proxy that was still open friday afternoon and that lady was incredibly nice, she even insisted I come back when I get the "nice" papers from the importer, because right now my lovely A4 printout is the official vehicle document.
So yeah, could've picked the bike up today, bit obviously I went yesterday, absolutely love it so far. I'm driving it like it's a moped until I get my dropbars tho, it's wet right now anyway.
This bike is just so much better than all the others I tried.

Also, the TRK502 is not for me, the seating position and especially the footpegs suck arse. Changing gears and using the tail brake are annoying tasks on it, and to stand I have to put my feet down behing the footpegs, it's weird af.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone know what a 98 sportster 883 might be worth private sale? A friend offered me hers pretty cheap to fix up/flip. It hasn't run in several years but I'm in the desert and it's been covered.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Assuming you're in Zimbabwe, it's worth about $75,000,000,000,000,000

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Christ I'm gonna have to rent a dump truck for all that cash!

Southwest United States. New Mexico. Central part of the state. Thanks!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Assuming you're in Zimbabwe, it's worth about $75,000,000,000,000,000

Dang, I could almost afford that.

All I have is $100,000,000,000,000

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone know what a 98 sportster 883 might be worth private sale? A friend offered me hers pretty cheap to fix up/flip. It hasn't run in several years but I'm in the desert and it's been covered.

98 883 is carbed and the service manual pdf is all over the internet so it should be relatively easy to get running.

In my area (chicago) a running 883 of that vintage would probably be worth $1500-2500 depending on condition and mileage. Check your local craigslist/facebook to verify if it's worth flipping.

By the time you spring for new tires/engine oil/primary oil/filter/brake fluid/battery and whatever parts you need to get it running you may be upside down unless you get the bike for $500 or just flip it as-is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Christ that makes me weep, the cheapest sporty I've ever seen was like 3k and it had a conrod poking out.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
loving lovely day doing Hwy 17, 9 , and 35. Overcast which is ideal for electric bikes; we like cooler days for thermal management. Rode with a friendly Zero rider who hit thermal cutback on his motor after aggressive riding and had to back off. Bear Creek Road continues to have 2 sets of stoplights for the single lane construction. I am very much looking forward to when that all finishes.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Christ that makes me weep, the cheapest sporty I've ever seen was like 3k and it had a conrod poking out.

Sportsters have had the same engine/trans since the 80s but... in 2004 they switched to a rubber mount system for the motor which eliminates quite a bit of vibration and in 2007 they went to fuel injection. So 2003 or older bikes are generally going to be cheaper due to less demand.

They also eliminated a trapdoor that allows trans removal/repairs without splitting the engine case in 2003 so if you are comfortable working on carbs and don't mind a bit of vibration you should be able to find the best deal on bikes older than 03. But 02 and older allow easier trans repairs.

I paid 2600 for my 2002 sportster 1200 back in 2012 with 10k miles on it. Has about 30K miles now and aside from a slight leak at the cylinder base gaskets it's been bulletproof. They all eventually leak but you can prolong it by letting the bike idle to warm up before riding. Aside from basic gas/oil/plugs/tires it hasn't needed any work.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

loving lovely day doing Hwy 17, 9 , and 35. Overcast which is ideal for electric bikes; we like cooler days for thermal management. Rode with a friendly Zero rider who hit thermal cutback on his motor after aggressive riding and had to back off. Bear Creek Road continues to have 2 sets of stoplights for the single lane construction. I am very much looking forward to when that all finishes.

Bear Creek Rd is awesome. I went down twice this week, was on Pescadero Creek, Stage Rd, and Tunitas Creek. I really like Tunitas. It’s just the right amount of bumpy.

I actually only saw one single CHP as I was leaving, but loads of sheriffs and park rangers. I guess we are in the clear! My friend mentioned to me when this first started up he was actually told by a CHP he couldn’t stop and rest at the parking lots at 35/84. I guess they have bigger concerns at this point.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
How do you guys know when to stop riding? I just don't wanna.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My rear end usually tells me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah if my butt isn’t the first to tell me it’ll be mental fatigue, usually the latter if I’m in a lot of traffic. If my mind starts wandering or I’m being less attentive then it’s time to call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I try to artificially limit my riding to comfortable distances even if I'm still feeling good. I tend to reasonably guess about when my interest/stamina may give out based on past experience and try to plan my halfway point based on that. The last few times I turned around well before I wanted to, but it turned out that I made the right decision as I just kind of felt "ok I'm done" 20km from home.