Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

m-m-m-matebook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VideoTapir posted:

The UI on huawei's new stuff is baffling. I keep looking for the bottom three buttons but they ain't loving there, and I can't figure what's taken over their functions.

This is just how a lot of Android phones are now, it's replaced by gestures. I hate it too but you can just turn software versions of the buttons back on (maybe, I dunno what Huawei is doing exactly I don't use their hardware.)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Devils Affricate posted:

Interesting, I was kind of assuming their matriculation wouldn't even support foreign names, or people not connected with the hukou system. I wonder how many people from surrounding Asian countries like Vietnam and Thailand attend their universities.

There are a ton, and from all over. And a lot of them are pretty hosed right now. When this all started the ones who were outside the country were told not to come back, and there were instances of the ones that did being punished. Now that it's calmed down here they still cant come back.

I don't know how it is in other cities, but some of the guys I know at Chinese unis who never left are basically locked on campus, the school brings them a sack of potatoes every week. They've been there locked in this whole time lol.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I wonder if the teahouse scam is still going strong. I read an article recently about a guy who was a victim of it once in Beijing, and it caused him to turn down a stranger’s offer to be taken out for tea in Syria years later. It took a while for him to realize that many Syrians were just genuinely hospitable and welcoming, and drink a poo poo ton of tea. Not that all Syrians good and mainlanders bad, it’s just a cultural tendency.

If forums and places like reddit are to be believed they’ve been largely replaced with tinder/other online dating scams for basically the same thing. Match with someone, they invite you to a izakaya or other late night place, you get super overcharged, etc... there were a few recent stories about it I’ve seen and apparently the woman they met was really the one from the profile which was surprising.

Also to be honest when I was younger, random Chinese people I’d meet would offer to bring me to meals and restaurants and whatever and it was also legitimate hospitality. Tea house scams were a very specific thing and the much more common thing was older drunk Chinese dudes buying you beers and bbq at street side stalls or neighbor grandmas forcing bags or frozen handmade dumpling into your arms around holidays.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BrainDance posted:

I don't know how it is in other cities, but some of the guys I know at Chinese unis who never left are basically locked on campus, the school brings them a sack of potatoes every week. They've been there locked in this whole time lol.

Wtf where are they?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
During bird flu, I accidently found a whole uni class stuck in Beijing.

One of the students mother's called me, to check what he was covered under insurance as his bag was delayed on a flight.

I call him directly to find the entire class, teacher and guide were detained as the guide was infected.

They closed the students up in an air-conditioned building and only fed them fried food. The University in Western Australia hadn't told the parents and the students were told to keep quiet.

I ruined everything. Eventually pressure from my companies Beijing alarm centre got them freed. The security staff wouldn't even allow our staff to deliver fresh fruit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I wonder if the teahouse scam is still going strong. I read an article recently about a guy who was a victim of it once in Beijing, and it caused him to turn down a stranger’s offer to be taken out for tea in Syria years later. It took a while for him to realize that many Syrians were just genuinely hospitable and welcoming, and drink a poo poo ton of tea. Not that all Syrians good and mainlanders bad, it’s just a cultural tendency.

It is. In Japan as well. Never been a vicitim of it, but I always hear people posting about falling for it in travelers' forums.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It got me a couple years ago, so probably yes. Life in Japan had made me complacent about safety. :doh: I felt real stupid after that.

They were kind enough to spare me bus money at least.

A smarter me now realizes that it didn't make sense for me to be paying anyway. They had invited me to the place, and I was presumably doing them the favor of "helping them practice English." :sigh:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 1, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

UltraRed posted:

It is. In Japan as well. Never been a vicitim of it, but I always hear people posting about falling for it in travelers' forums.

i accidentally dodged one of these in japan because sometimes (all the time) i language bad, these two local chicks were like "oh come drink with us ojisama"

and i was like ojisama wtf! i ain't old enough to be your gross ossan uncle why would you call a dude that!

ojisama is prince

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Goon visage worked out in your favour for once.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Magna Kaser posted:

Wtf where are they?

Like where are they staying? Dorms, but they can walk around the campus. Which universities? In Zhengzhou, one guy is at the agricultural university I think another I'm not sure he's a dick and I am not keeping up much with him.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BrainDance posted:

Like where are they staying? Dorms, but they can walk around the campus. Which universities? In Zhengzhou, one guy is at the agricultural university I think another I'm not sure he's a dick and I am not keeping up much with him.

I was curious about city cuz I haven't heard anything about foreigners/anyone still stuck on lockdown in campuses. I have a number of friends who were for a while in Feb and March but since April stuff has been pretty open, and the bigger issue I've seen was some unis closing down dorms and forcing kids to go home.

I know the north has a few places around Jilin which have been re-locked down.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I don't think there's any particular reason for it, all the new 'breakouts' in Henan, from what I know at least, have been outside Zhengzhou and I haven't heard of any happening in a while. But I hear different things about the process for reopening from every other university around here so I suspect that's what's going on. They're all figuring out what to do, how to reopen on their own, and some are being more extreme than others.

Some universities are allowing no students to come back, some only seniors, some are only letting half come back, etc. So I don't think they're gotten much actual direction from the government the way high schools have. Not sure how it's going in other cities/provinces.

I'm sure many of them around here sent students home, too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Bing's saying that Taiwan is down to 15 (had one new case yesterday).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

If forums and places like reddit are to be believed they’ve been largely replaced with tinder/other online dating scams for basically the same thing. Match with someone, they invite you to a izakaya or other late night place, you get super overcharged, etc... there were a few recent stories about it I’ve seen and apparently the woman they met was really the one from the profile which was surprising.

Also to be honest when I was younger, random Chinese people I’d meet would offer to bring me to meals and restaurants and whatever and it was also legitimate hospitality. Tea house scams were a very specific thing and the much more common thing was older drunk Chinese dudes buying you beers and bbq at street side stalls or neighbor grandmas forcing bags or frozen handmade dumpling into your arms around holidays.

The main idea is "bring person to restaurant/bar/club" and then order a bunch of stuff on their tab then make them pay? Or is it charging $40 for a beer or something?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
$40 for a cup of tea; the guy who runs the establishment is in on it, and so are the rather unpleasant-looking gentlemen now pointedly heading in your direction.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 1, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

$40 for a cup of tea; the guy who runs the establishment is in on it. and so are the rather unpleasant-looking gentlemen now pointedly heading in your direction.

What a discount! I paid $300 for my cup of tea.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

$40 for a cup of tea; the guy who runs the establishment is in on it, and so are the rather unpleasant-looking gentlemen now pointedly heading in your direction.

Right, but don't they immediately serve you and not give you a choice? Like they bring tea, some cakes and snacks to the table and people just go "oh welp might as well chow down" and then get a 4 figure bill.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Someone tried the baby formula scam on me in Bangkok a few years ago and I wasn't anywhere near a tourist area. I was flabbergasted.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I had the tea house scam attempted on me in Shanghai by two old ladies (which was why I wasn't initially suspicious, I'd only heard it done with young attractive women to men), they used the whole wanting to practice their English pitch... I only caught on midway through when they finally invited me to the tea house, and when I realised and started backing out they made up all sorts of lines about how it was a special Chinese holiday, etc, etc.

This was only a couple of years ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BrainDance posted:

There are a ton, and from all over. And a lot of them are pretty hosed right now. When this all started the ones who were outside the country were told not to come back, and there were instances of the ones that did being punished. Now that it's calmed down here they still cant come back.

this sounds like hell

or Russia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

coolusername posted:

I had the tea house scam attempted on me in Shanghai by two old ladies (which was why I wasn't initially suspicious, I'd only heard it done with young attractive women to men), they used the whole wanting to practice their English pitch... I only caught on midway through when they finally invited me to the tea house, and when I realised and started backing out they made up all sorts of lines about how it was a special Chinese holiday, etc, etc.

This was only a couple of years ago.

aunties: "We were going to give him these special honbaos with $100 each in them. I thought they liked money :smith:"

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Green tea bitch is (I think, excluding the gendering aspect) a tight insult.

It has enough flexibility to be broadly applicable.

綠茶婊 luk6 cha4 biu2
绿茶婊

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The way things are going, nothing will happen on June 4th in the US as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there something special about June 4th other than it being Thursday? :thunk:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Get hype for June 4! Nation anthem bill to become law AND PS5 Events!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Get hype for June 4! Nation anthem bill to become law AND PS5 Events!

The PS5 event was canceled. Sorry.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well Carrie Lam better pass the bill fuckers!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well Carrie Lam better pass the bill fuckers!

Like she has an actual say in anything. Lady's shits are in the perfect shape of Xi Jinping's hand.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hand is so far up her rear end the poo poo is getting pushed out of her mouth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When does HK losing its special trade status take full effect? It's going to be a bloodbath right? Like massive capital flight and brain drain from anyone who can get out.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

pentyne posted:

When does HK losing its special trade status take full effect? It's going to be a bloodbath right? Like massive capital flight and brain drain from anyone who can get out.

it's ok they have a HK2.0 soon https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-01/Xi-Jinping-calls-for-building-a-high-quality-free-trade-port-in-Hainan-QY3AZkHQL6/index.html

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very few are going to bite. People would have to be the biggest idiot if they think the "Free port" is somehow separate from the mainland. Business went to Hong Kong because it wasn't China.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FIHTH

Failed in Hong Kong Try Hainan

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Can't remember where I saw it but there was talk of offering UK citizenship to Hong kongers if the bill went through. That would be a great middle finger to the PRC.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
one country, so many systems, the best systems in the world we have Hainan System, Taiwan system, Uighur system something for everyone

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

BrassRoots posted:

Can't remember where I saw it but there was talk of offering UK citizenship to Hong kongers if the bill went through. That would be a great middle finger to the PRC.

I think Raab said they might extend the time a BNO passport-holder could stay in the UK from 6 to 12 months at a time (and of course no additional rights to work or access public funds). Basically a long tourist visa.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrassRoots posted:

Lol UK voted Brexit and Tories. It's not going to happen., although CCP would want that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lol UK voted Brexit and Tories. It's not going to happen., although CCP would want that.

BLOOOODY ORIENTALS TAKING ERR FOOKIN JOBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RedTeam posted:

I think Raab said they might extend the time a BNO passport-holder could stay in the UK from 6 to 12 months at a time (and of course no additional rights to work or access public funds). Basically a long tourist visa.

It's worse than that. It doesn't help people born post 1997 who most in danger and need. The U.K. has to expand this well beyond what has been murmured for this to be meaningful.

If the U.K. don't even have the balls to do this extended tourist visa step I don't even.