Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I filed a sanctions motion on ethics grounds (no contact rule violation). I left out the associate's name, but hung the partner out to dry. I think they are probably screwed.

Teddybear posted:

If it’s really that big a deal you’ll get overturned whatever
abuse of discretion standard, no big whoop.

evilweasel posted:

the problem is that it is kind of stupid to waste a lot of time carefully reviewing a document to see if you're allowed to see it

the judge is gonna see it either way, so the usual implication of the "i will give it due weight" in bankruptcy court is "you've made your objection, now let's all not waste any time unless my decision turns on this document, at which point i will make a ruling because 99% of the time, it doesn't"

ulmont posted:

There’s case law supporting this position.
To be clear, I'm not actually disagreeing.

Also why I will basically never waive trial by jury in a patent case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I never waive a jury trial period, and with Louisiana set to drop the jury threshold to $5000 it’s gonna be open season on fraudsters.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

gvibes posted:

I filed a sanctions motion on ethics grounds (no contact rule violation). I left out the associate's name, but hung the partner out to dry. I think they are probably screwed.

abuse of discretion standard, no big whoop.

To be clear, I'm not actually disagreeing.

Also why I will basically never waive trial by jury in a patent case.

Yeah, dude, why would they give me all this discretion if they thought I was going to abuse it? Anyway, dismissed with prejudice, I’m out

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Just watched a clip on Twitter of a mob kicking a dude to death for apparently no reason. Then someone replied with a longer clip that showed him charging the mob with a machete, for apparently no reason, seconds before they started kicking him to death I self defense. Then someone replied with an even longer clip showing the mob throwing rocks at him, once again, for apparently no reason, as he tried to run, seconds before he charged the mob in self defense with a machete and then they started kicking him to death.

When I'm selling my bhole for gasoline in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, I'll silently muse, "it was social media, for sure."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that we crave information that feeds our emotional needs. The compounding problem is that the less information we get to feed the craving, the more we feel in the gaps with our biases.

We simply can't tolerate big, complicated issues. They're too cumbersome. We want quick, easy soundbytes that confirm our priors and don't challenge is, and social media pipes it down our loving throat. We prefer it this way and it's going to ruin us.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This concludes my Ted talk, please line up next to the stage with your soup cans of gasoline

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That chuddy dipshit is alive and tweeting.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

mob kicking a dude to death

blarzgh posted:

The problem is that we crave information that feeds our emotional needs

joat mon posted:

That chuddy dipshit is alive and tweeting.

This sequence is primo posting

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1267125901801775106?s=19

We stan real life catholic reactionary Ignatius reilly

https://twitter.com/AvOpJGA/status/1267134494160666624?s=19

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Then someone tracks down more context to confirm their own biases ad infinitum you assholes are literally proving my point Jesus Christ where's my gasoline

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/singlepayertom/status/1267138084178587648?s=19

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I mean, it's not a political point or whatever, but if it wasnt for social media I wouldn't know that this guy had adjusted his bowtie and muttered to himself "well, if seems the swarthy heathens want to test their resolve in the purifying crucible of righteous combat" before getting shithoused

him being a deus vult dude is objectively funny

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

Then someone tracks down more context to confirm their own biases ad infinitum you assholes are literally proving my point Jesus Christ where's my gasoline

:gas:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In 1968, Nguyễn Văn Lém was shot in the head.

Lèm was captured by South Vietnamese forces after he was discovered having slit the throats of an officer, his wife, and their six children, as well as their grandmother. The South Vietnamese officer in charge, and the one who carried out the sentence, had accurately determined that as an irregular soldier, who did not meet the Geneva convention criteria for entitlement to PoW status, the man was to be summarily executed under the law and thereafter, was.

The event was captured on camera, and circulated worldwide as an image that encapsulated the murderous consequences of the American involvement in Vietnam and support of the South Vietnamese military. The contextual information related to that image was not a component of it's dissemination, or the cultural meaning it has garnered.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Well it is still May…

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So it seems like the tendency to jump to conclusions based on incomplete and inaccurate evidence pre-dates social media? Also I don't have any gas, will you accept some recently acquired Apple products as a donation?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

To be clear I think it's correct that people often try to make judgment calls based on woefully incomplete information, and I even think a lot of people look for the wrong information when they bother to look at all.

I hope everyone enjoys these broke brained tweets:

Brain Curry posted:

looks like he limited his account.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah exactly. It's a one way ratchet of self chosen reality that is absolutely driving us all insane and dissolving what little cohesion remains, but on the other hand you get a hero like this guy showing up and posting about "so, what I was thinking when I brought a sword to defend a bar that has nothing to do with me is...." and honestly, who wouldnt make that tradeoff

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

So it seems like the tendency to jump to conclusions based on incomplete and inaccurate evidence pre-dates social media? Also I don't have any gas, will you accept some recently acquired Apple products as a donation?

The human aversion to challenging its own beliefs has always been there - it's evolutionary: red flower always kills when eat means that even though some red flowers don't actually kill you, you never eat any so that you never accidentally eat one that does - it's just that social media inadvertently wound up being like, "what's the worst thing we could do to the intellectual advancement of the human race? Oh, cool let's do that."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also I will not accept iPods as trade for a romp in my rumpus room only Zunes

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Why are we trying to dissect either the left's or right's version of "I studied the blade?"

Can't we just post istudiedtheblade.jpg and go back to dissecting great meaning from LSAT scores and fighting the power by running overpasses through peoples' homes?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

*sighs and draws katana*

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

I'm making it still on.

So, for green AND old, here

The old barn on the farm was built in 1850.

Also in old:

This is a good old fella. Sweetest dog ever and a great hunter, but he's retired now. Coming up on 15 years, spends his days guarding the farm and the fireplace.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
NO! We must first come to TERMS before the DUEL. If you had brought your SECOND you would KNOW this!!!

*Gets beaten to death with sticks and stones*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The unripened tomato of REASONABLE DISCOURSE

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Great, now I have to redo the script for our office phone again.

"Hello, and welcome to the Law Office of GamingHyena. Due to the current global pandemic / economic depression / [computer voice] civil insurrection [/computer voice] our office hours have changed.
Should you need immediate assistance, press 1 to speak with our legal assistant who is working from home / living in the office / [computer voice] barricaded in an undisclosed location [/computer voice] who will be happy to assist you.
Press 2 if you are a current client wishing to make a payment as we accept all major credit cards / denominations of gold bullion and N95 face masks / [computer voice] grades of gasoline [/computer voice].
Press 3 to leave a voicemail with the attorney who is currently assisting other clients / picking up Uber shifts / [computer voice] running Bartertown [/computer voice].

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the redundancy of lawyers when all legal codicils are reduced to “bust a deal, face the wheel”

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a good old fella. Sweetest dog ever and a great hunter, but he's retired now. Coming up on 15 years, spends his days guarding the farm and the fireplace.

Submission invalid unless you tell us that good boy's name so we can dote online. :colbert:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'll also trade my bhole for cigarettes if you don't have any gasoline

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What about for some magic beans?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
SOLD

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Don't let him eat the beans before you get the bhole.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GrandmaParty posted:

Don't let him eat the beans before you get the bhole.

Why? That's like free magic fingers!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Submission invalid unless you tell us that good boy's name so we can dote online. :colbert:

Good boy's name is Nero. Best tracker of moose you've ever seen. He's a black norwegian elkhound.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Good boy's name is Nero. Best tracker of moose you've ever seen. He's a black norwegian elkhound.

Great name, great dog. I hadn't heard of the breed, but they remind me of a Schipperke, except bigger.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Great name, great dog. I hadn't heard of the breed, but they remind me of a Schipperke, except bigger.

Oh, nobody has. It basically exists only in Norway, much like the other ancient farm breeds such as the
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Lundehund

That's a crazy interesting breed/read, my treat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Would anyone here mind looking at a pleading of mine and comment on it's quality as a writing sample?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Would anyone here mind looking at a pleading of mine and comment on it's quality as a writing sample?
Introduction
Plaintiff has asked this Court to look at a pleading of his. The writing fails to conform to correctitude, and the motion should be denied.

Grammatical argument
Its is the possessive form, "belonging to it." It's is the contraction of it is. Plaintiff wrote it's instead of its, which is incorrect.

Conclusion
The laws of this Court's great jurisdiction are clear: Plaintiff's argument fails, and his request should be denied.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sure