Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a goon ran mask supplier, or somewhere decent to buy them? Mine are too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

NofrikinfuN posted:

most viruses naturally self-select to less deadly strains because the longer the host lives the more capable they are of spreading the disease

however, i though covid was specifically not subject to this kind of evolutionary pressure due to the incredibly long incubation and asymptomatic spread periods

Also the virus encodes a unique proof-reading mechanism in the RNA polymerase enzyme that prevents most mutations in the genome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

COVID-19 posted:

Is that a bowl of pasta with chips around it
What is with goons and not recognizing crustaceans in food?

gregday
May 23, 2003

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a goon ran mask supplier, or somewhere decent to buy them? Mine are too small.

If all else fails my wife sews them and I can probably get one to you, it'll take time to ship though

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CleverHans posted:

I'd like to thank my family, Lowtax, and our dark lord Satan for all of my great success.

Grats but you know that number is a lie. You sit on a throne of lies.

alphabettitouretti posted:

The UK has also decided that coronavirus is now over and it's safe to just carry on as you were. There were shitloads of people out at the weekend, seemingly more traffic on the road, and beaches were packed like it was a regular summer's day. And people were still doing dumb poo poo like tombstoning at a beach that had to be closed after the air ambulance was called the previous day to rescue three idiots who injured themselves doing the same thing.

And there was this: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/man-defies-warnings-swims-toxic-4177449

Enjoying our new freedoms to go swim in toxic lakes.

The UK having an ongoing problem with people insisting on picnicking next to and swimming in toxic waste is a very UK thing.

COVID-19 posted:

I’m sorry, do you not hop into your pool with a plate of saltines and a big bowl of seafood dip to enjoy in the hot summer sun?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

empty whippet box posted:

Literally zero actual reasons, data or explanation given. Just a couple doctors being like "yea, it's totally weakening, we need to get back to normal and OPEN 'ER UP"

extremely obvious propaganda

i dont think the doctor is lying. theres no explanation for almost any behavior the virus has had since the beginning probably because we dont know how virus stuff works much really

i would expect a decent part of it is the increase in testing + people with mild cases being aware of the pandemic now and going to get their “flu” checked

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A goon shared this link awhile back and I got a pack of these and they’re comfortable and fit well https://www.snowjoe.com/products/kn95-protective-face-mask-ce-certified-gb2626-standard-5-pack

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Respect ur traditions

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COVID-19 posted:

Maybe a pastry alfredo?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Grats but you know that number is a lie. You sit on a throne of lies.

Hey, don't hate the player, hate the many, many shiftless, incompetent politicians and captains of industry that made these tens of thousands of avoidable deaths into a delightful game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

A goon shared this link awhile back and I got a pack of these and they’re comfortable and fit well https://www.snowjoe.com/products/kn95-protective-face-mask-ce-certified-gb2626-standard-5-pack

mastershakeman posted:

If all else fails my wife sews them and I can probably get one to you, it'll take time to ship though

Thanks both of you; looks like HelloIAmYourHeart reopened their SA Mart thread so I'll start there.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

COVID-19 posted:

please don't shame white culture

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

the gently caress would you trust goons on ppe

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe a pastry alfredo?

most likley yeah. it looks like some sort of cold pasta salad, I've seen them occasionally at picnics and stuff

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is there a thread for June?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

just tweet at bob odenkirk and ask what was in the bowl

he'd probably respond

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Was this that crazy UK contest in which people throw themselves down that hill?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

reminder that the Spanish flu mutated into an even deadlier form and caught hold for its second wave so literally who the gently caress knows what is going to happen.

Qualitatively at least you’d think pressure would come from it killing faster than it can spread so with the long incubation time, high infection rate, and asymptomatic spreaders, I don’t see much going for a weaker strain coming through right away. Although who knows maybe a really weak strain will cause sniffles and coughs but lend immunity...

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Nature is healing, golf competitions are thriving

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

prediction: when roni cases are still going up in 3 weeks the media will start putting all the blame on the riots as superspreader events or w/e

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe a pastry alfredo?
Wrong type of crustacean.

Fried Watermelon posted:

just tweet at bob odenkirk and ask what was in the bowl

he'd probably respond
It's crab dip.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flunky posted:

prediction: when roni cases are still going up in 3 weeks the media will start putting all the blame on the riots as superspreader events or w/e

They'll put the blame on them if there's a spike tomorrow

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Flunky posted:

yep. even if there was just one day of 100% peaceful protests they would be solely blamed for the second wave

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1267498410204106758?s=20

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah this was a nonsensical right wing talking point almost from the beginning, that viruses "lose potency" over time, which is why nobody dies from the flu or untreated HIV/AIDS any more.

or maybe I am a bid dummy idk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like the "it's losing potency" argument is already becoming more pronounced because health care workers are learning how to fight this thing when it gets nasty and the news doesn't do a particularly good job of reporting things

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Throatwarbler posted:

forums poster Dumb Lowtax seems to be confused about what N95 is. It's just a rating used to delineate a certain type of mask, not a model number. KN95 is just the name of the standard used in China, it's FFP2 in the EU. KN95 isn't meaningfully different from N95 for you regular civilians going to the grocery store, more than likely they're the exact same mask with a different label, so just use KN95 if you can get it. Whatever minor difference there is between a KN95 and an N95 is outweighted 100x by you loving up the fitting of the mask or touching your face trying to adjust it or soaking your old N95 in poisonous household cleaning chemicals because you don't want to buy a KN95.

It also hasn't been possible to buy a genuine medical grade N95 for months, so if you're buying one now it's probably a knockoff with mystery filtering capacity. Which is fine, because everybody says the medical grade N95s are miserable to wear anyway.

If someone has a legit need for a better-than-cloth mask (for example they have to commute on public transit in the plaguelands) you can look for "3M 3200 Reusable Half Face Mask Respirator" on your favorite asian e-commerce site. I've gotten a few and they are more comfortable to wear than a cloth mask and probably better at filtering. However you do look like a dork wearing one.

How it looks with the filter cartridge removed.

Two valves.
The filter covers the yellow one, so you don't exhale through filter and humidify it, because filtering exhalations is not necessary for dusty work. You can just remove it to allow your breath to exhale through the filter.
The blue one is behind the filter cartridge but doesn't go through the filter. Your breath goes through, hits the back of the plastic cartridge and then goes down. So if you talk or cough you won't be shooting droplets 6 feet in front of you, but your exhalations aren't filtered. If you're not a shitler just use a glue gun or duct tape to seal the lower valve closed.

Pros:
  • It's affordable, you can get the mask and a few filters for under $20.
  • The part that touches your face is rubber or silicone so it keeps a good seal even if you smile, yawn or laugh. (It won't be a perfect seal if you have a beard tho.)
  • Doesn't fog up my glasses.
  • Adjustable straps so you can get a secure but not too tight fit even if you have a big pumpkin head or a tiny ferret face.
  • It's easy to clean, just pop out the filter and you can wash the rest with soap and water while you wash your hands. Or spray it with alcohol, whatever you got.
  • The filters are flat, so if the plaguelands situation gets worse and you can't find replacement filters in the future it would be easy to Macgyver a filter from cloth, paper towels, coffee filters or whatever and still get the benefit of the good seal.
  • It's very comfortable. These are designed to be worn by workmen at work all day, so they don't dig into your ears or dent your face like the disposable ones can. More comfortable than the cloth masks too.
  • The filter seems effective. I have a minor dust allergy, and I wore this while helping my mom clean her apartment when she moved and didn't have a reaction. There was a lot of dust, I definitely would have been sneezing without the mask. Virions are smaller than dust tho.
  • Keeps you from thoughtlessly touching your nose or mouth. It's a bit of effort to move it out of the way to scratch your nose, so it won't happen accidentally.

Cons:
  • Your face gets wet. It's humid in there and there's no way for moisture to evaporate. It's not terribly uncomfortable, but it will ruin your makeup. (Probably less humid if you don't tamper with the valves.)
  • The filter cartridge is plastic, with plastic clips. They feel like they'll break sooner or later. It's a $10 work mask, it's not designed to be super durable.
  • Might not actually be KN95. There's a lot of knockoffs and some of the listings don't even say KN95. You can definitely feel the resistance of the filter, it's doing some filtering. I assume even a knockoff filter is at least as good as a cloth mask at keeping out droplets. Probably fine if your use case is "riding public transit" and not "doing laundry in a plague ward".
  • You look like you are doing apocalypse cosplay.

The 3200 is an asian model, easy to find on overseas e-commerce sites. There are american models with similar features, but I didn't try one of those because they were impossible to get 2 months ago when I ordered mine. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Comfort-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator/dp/B00IF7RCU6

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this was a nonsensical right wing talking point almost from the beginning, that viruses "lose potency" over time, which is why nobody dies from the flu or untreated HIV/AIDS any more.

or maybe I am a bid dummy idk

it was, that's what that epstein (not that one) lawyer guy was saying

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Be careful going to your city hospitals first responders, the cops are rubber rounding everybody and anybody

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Uh, I hadn't checked worldometers since last week and the USA has... +7,605 cases today? And +20,350 cases yesterday?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Be careful going to your city hospitals first responders, the cops are rubber rounding everybody and anybody
I just had a thought. When the narrative becomes "The protests caused the second wave", then being positive becomes evidence that you took part in the protests, and thus you shouldn't get treatment/the police should be able to throw you in jail right away.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Uh, I hadn't checked worldometers since last week and the USA has... +7,605 cases today? And +20,350 cases yesterday?

don't worry, they shut down all the testing centres in LA since we're in the Cool Zone now, number will be going down shortly

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Both of those are normal numbers. 20k on a Sunday is about where we're at. Counting stops at 8pm EST, we'll likely be up to 22k—25k before the day is out.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

blatman posted:

I feel like the "it's losing potency" argument is already becoming more pronounced because health care workers are learning how to fight this thing when it gets nasty and the news doesn't do a particularly good job of reporting things

That article was from a doc in a hard hit spot in Italy; wouldn't you expect severity to apparently go down after you're hit hard because all of your particularly vulnerable population is going to get infected and die first? If the death rates are even remotely correct you'd expect to have a pretty front loaded response due to nursing homes + long term care facilities not knowing wtf to do with this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm not a science doer but aside from that it doesn't make sense that most or all iterations of a globally propagated virus might evolve in unison and in the same way. okay a mutation occurred, how does the new version propagate widely and displace the earlier version?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nonsense posted:

man, Venezuela just keeps getting worse and w...

... In America?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can attest to the fact that N95 masks are miserable to wear. I have a couple and have for a while that I bought in response to having lung issues and needing to occasionally go out when air quality is poor. They were fine to wear while walking from the car to an air conditioned environment. Wearing them correctly for even 15-20 minutes though is too much for me and makes me feel like I'm going to pass out; I have severely impacted lung capacity so most people will likely be able to wear them longer but they're still miserable.

I guess it's bit of irony that my lung capacity is too low for the masks that I should probably actually be wearing but hey. Cloth masks are not good for me either, really the only thing that I can put up with for a while are medical masks. I bought some at the start of the year on a whim but I don't know what I'll do when I'm out of those, although I'm not going to not wear masks so I guess I'll figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not a science doer but aside from that it doesn't make sense that most or all iterations of a globally propagated virus might evolve in unison and in the same way. okay a mutation occurred, how does the new version propagate widely and displace the earlier version?

yeah, if it was actually evolving in italy, the current united states strains would be independent of that.