Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not a science doer but aside from that it doesn't make sense that most or all iterations of a globally propagated virus might evolve in unison and in the same way. okay a mutation occurred, how does the new version propagate widely and displace the earlier version?
No no, a virus is a single global meta-organism with FTL communications that allows mutations to propagate instantly, as seen in the educational game Plague Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not a science doer but aside from that it doesn't make sense that most or all iterations of a globally propagated virus might evolve in unison and in the same way. okay a mutation occurred, how does the new version propagate widely and displace the earlier version?
"if evolution is real why is there still monkeys"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No no, a virus is a single global meta-organism with FTL communications that allows mutations to propagate instantly, as seen in the educational game Plague Inc.

.... yet

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
some ik tell me not to do june op if ur halfway done b4 i start

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was looking at the worldometer numbers and the UK and Italy's casualties worked out to about 14% of infected so right now the US is probably concealing/not reporting 150k deaths.

Or our patriotic love of our noble and god blessed country fights the virus!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

seattle plague rat posted:

some ik tell me not to do june op if ur halfway done b4 i start

imo the next thread should be "COVID-19 Summer" to cover the next 3 months, I don't expect covidposting to be as fast and furious as it was during March so we probably don't need monthly threads anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

imo the next thread should be "COVID-19 Summer" to cover the next 3 months, I don't expect covidposting to be as fast and furious as it was during March so we probably don't need monthly threads anymore

yeah the thread is dead now. tbf i dont even really think there's a need for a new one but i guess it wouldn't hurt, and hell summer is basically here.

my brain is not very good or creative but some form of HOT COVID SUMMER NIGHTS: COMING OF AGE, but better, would be a fun title

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jun 1, 2020

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I think COVID-19 summer edition is a smart move to cover us until end of Aug/Sep, after that it can either become a single COVID megathread as we get tired of screeching about incompetence surrounding it or we can gear back up to single threads as needed if/when we get a pre-election turbowave of plague

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
lol i think u guys r optimists but i am wrong a lot & u talked me out of it

ok some ik change title 2 summer or w/e

postin gathered content & bailing 2 s e s h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDFPbhmzTY

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in two weeks the numbers are going to skyrocket

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Taintrunner posted:

Yes the economic numbers

didn't you hear? Covid is OVER!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

If they don't, that'll be good to know as proof that masks make a difference by themselves in a large way

Not saying everyone at the protests was masked, but they largely were

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

we aren't optimistic about COVID-19 getting any better lol, we're just self aware enough to know that even we won't have as much to discuss about how hosed up it is six months in

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
It's okay gang, the writers have realised the coronavirus story was starting to lose a little energy so we're spicing it up with a combined ebola outbreak.

After the USA just defunded the WHO.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/experts-scramble-confirm-second-ebola-outbreak-drc/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cases are already on the rise

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm surprised states are still reporting numbers right now. I'd have assumed that since everybody is focused on other things, the government would take this opportunity to just stop talking about Covid and hope nobody noticed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

I'm surprised states are still reporting numbers right now. I'd have assumed that since everybody is focused on other things, the government would take this opportunity to just stop talking about Covid and hope nobody noticed

They've switched to riot coverage :lol:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

we aren't optimistic about COVID-19 getting any better lol, we're just self aware enough to know that even we won't have as much to discuss about how hosed up it is six months in

this is o ne of those comments ppl always quote like 3 months later lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

seattle plague rat posted:

this is o ne of those comments ppl always quote like 3 months later lol

I am always gleeful and excited to see what new ways the world is able to slap me in the face with my own slackjawed ignorance

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to convince myself that this persistent cough is allergies.

... And all the other coughs in the office.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Beaver Stadium is an outdoor college football stadium in University Park, Pennsylvania, United States, on the campus of Pennsylvania State University.
Beaver Stadium has an official seating capacity of 106,572,[6] making it currently the second largest stadium in the Western Hemisphere and the Fourth largest in the world.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Beaver Stadium is an outdoor college football stadium in University Park, Pennsylvania, United States, on the campus of Pennsylvania State University.
Beaver Stadium has an official seating capacity of 106,572,[6] making it currently the second largest stadium in the Western Hemisphere and the Fourth largest in the world.
WE ARE

uh

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I remember wondering when these stadium posts started how long it'd take to reach the end of the list

welp lol glad to find out I guess, let's see if we can go double in June

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
May 31st Cum. Deaths Wrapup

The final death toll for May was 106195. Congrats to Clever Hans for stepping out 107000 deaths as their guess.

Congratulations to th C-SPAM experts doomers that performed worse than the IHME on guesses.

Maybe next time you all will do a better job of guessing how many deaths get covered up. Overall 182 of you were too pessimistic compared to 32 that were too optimistic.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

congrats!!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

People have been predicting riots in two weeks for months, who actually got the closest to the correct answer?

facetoucher cat posted:

my apartment complex is randomly charging some fees saying they're in the lease when they're not, I probably just got myself kicked out by telling the front office bitch I was getting a lawyer to review the lease and paperwork but no one can absorb 100$+ randomly each month during a pandemic when most of us don't have jobs

Does your rental office know that we're now in the cool zone, and it's not very cool to tack BS charges onto a bunch of distressed people.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

May 31st Cum. Deaths Wrapup

The final death toll for May was 106195. Congrats to Clever Hans for stepping out 107000 deaths as their guess.

Congratulations to th C-SPAM experts doomers that performed worse than the IHME on guesses.

Maybe next time you all will do a better job of guessing how many deaths get covered up. Overall 182 of you were too pessimistic compared to 32 that were too optimistic.

nah me or someone close to me wins there's at least 15k undercounted dead lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I remember wondering when these stadium posts started how long it'd take to reach the end of the list

welp lol glad to find out I guess, let's see if we can go double in June

hold on

we can still use the field to bury bodies and stack em high

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Well at least I can just use the exact same guess for next month

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Well at least I can just use the exact same guess for next month

same, I'm gonna put my guess under a UV lamp for an hour and bring it out again

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Real question:

I've never bought a thermometer. Is there a particular brand that's recommended?

I heard none of the guns work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most $30 hardware guns have +/- accuracy if about 2°F which is fine for plumbing and cooking but not for medicine. There are specific medical infrared thermometers for about $60-80 that are accurate.

But a mouth probe thermometer is like $13, any should do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Come And See posted:

Real question:

I've never bought a thermometer. Is there a particular brand that's recommended?

I use this Phillips in ear one because it’s how I check my toddlers temp but you can get any mouth one and should be fine

could see what Wirecutter recommends

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Come And See posted:

Real question:

I have a combo ear/forehead but imo the spread is kinda crazy, i can point it at various parts of my forehead and get +/- 2f difference or more. ear one is a little better but usually still varies a lot between ears.

do a mouth one if you can. i know they were sold out or marked up like crazy for awhile there, maybe things have settled down

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Jun 1, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lmao yeah there's at least tens of thousands of uncounted "pneumonia" deaths. impossible to identify the actual winner.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I use a thermometor gun for cooking all the time and as a cat toy (it has a laser). In addition to precision issues, it seems to have accuracy issues. As in, at low temps it is consistently about 15 degrees F lower than where it ought to be.

I believe the laser part is misleading; according to the instructions, it does not measure temperature at a point of course, but in a wide cone expanding in front of the gun. If you try to point it at a forehead or into a mouth you're liable to miss, that wide, especially because the laser is offset.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

:911:

FistEnergy posted:

lmao yeah there's at least tens of thousands of uncounted "pneumonia" deaths. impossible to identify the actual winner.

imo it really is around 200k or more (probably more)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Had a chat with the boomer lady on the floor of my apartment building today and she was having a whinge about how the virus is stopping her and her husband from doing their usual 4 months of Bali / Mediterranean summering. It rained for 45 min this morning and you still don't need a jumper to go outside here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Awesome, thanks guys much appreciated. :)

I picked out a good personal thermometer, now I just need to find a no-touch thermometer in Canada for work (family business) that isn't crap.