Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

See, I was thinking more:

But...that's not Warhol? And I don't think Warhol took the pic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

See, I was thinking more:

p hot take

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

But...that's not Warhol? And I don't think Warhol took the pic?

:thejoke:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just the deepest loving lol

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/intel-tiger-lake-move-away-from-benchmarks/

Bob "I'm not making GBS threads myself" Swan posted:

We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ah yes the "oh crap we're losing, so change the rules" plan.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

people like big things, maybe intel can make their larger nm process a selling point. the price tag too

benchmarks/price/size, 2 outta 3 aint bad

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
more nanometers = more better u heard it here folks

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

"Nanometers per frame" since we're raiding the AMD playbook with "cock speed"

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Malcolm XML posted:

more nanometers = more better u heard it here folks

Processor interconnects are like highways, and as you know the wider the highway the more cars, or data, you can have flowing through it! Therefore 14nm+++ is two times better than 7nm - But it gets better: The +++ are extra HOV lanes for those big AVX chunks of data. :pseudo:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

As you can see intel remains quite competitive

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Class. Style. These words used to mean something. Here at Intel they still do. Enjoy your computing knowing that the chips powering it have classic design sensibilities, with the elegant curves and complex thermal profiles only possible with tried and true 14nm processes."

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
This kind of blatant pants making GBS threads doesn't inspire confidence in Rocket Lake at all. Like unless Zen 3 is hella faster than Zen 2, a backcourt of Willow Cove should beat it in theory. Like this is the kind of the narrative you pull when you're desperate for your customers to look to all the awesome poo poo you used to do because you still won't have anything compelling to offer in 12 to 24 months.

I can't wait for Skylake, except PCIE4! Man 2021 is going to be loving brutal for Intel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wasn't the working theory that Zen3 *is* as fast as rumored, or else AMD wouldn't have the wherewithal to put out XT CPUs?

This is like NVidia making Super chips to dunk on AMD, but now they're taking it out on Intel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wasn't the working theory that Zen3 *is* as fast as rumored, or else AMD wouldn't have the wherewithal to put out XT CPUs?

This is like NVidia making Super chips to dunk on AMD, but now they're taking it out on Intel.

Personally, I believe in this one, that Zen 3 is so much faster than AMD that they're confident that XT's won't compete with Zen 3, but the other theory is that Zen 3 is going to be delayed to maybe the very end of 2020 or early 2021 and the XT's are to have something new in the meantime.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

This kind of blatant pants making GBS threads doesn't inspire confidence in Rocket Lake at all. Like unless Zen 3 is hella faster than Zen 2, a backcourt of Willow Cove should beat it in theory.

Ackshuyally Zen3 will probably be slower than Zen2 and furthermore

:rolleye:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ackshuyally Zen3 will probably be slower than Zen2 and furthermore

:rolleye:

You joke but fuckin' Bulldozer

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I believe Zen 3 will still be slower than Intel at playing games like Starcraft 2 and Farcry 5, but only like 5% slower and better at everything else. Oh and emulators like RPCS3 with Intel instruction sets, but that's more of job for software developers to optimize.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Personally, I believe in this one, that Zen 3 is so much faster than AMD that they're confident that XT's won't compete with Zen 3, but the other theory is that Zen 3 is going to be delayed to maybe the very end of 2020 or early 2021 and the XT's are to have something new in the meantime.

The latter seems plausible but if Zen 3 doesn't deliver at least 10% over the Zen 2 refresh, it's going to lead to an underwhelming launch. Hopefully AMD are just feeling confident.

e: What improvements are we expecting from the refresh? +200MHz or something like that?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Arzachel posted:

You joke but fuckin' Bulldozer

Bulldozer was a fundamentally new architecture following K10.5/Phenom II. We all know how that turned out - hell, I built a dirt cheap Steamroller-based Athlon 860K last month to have a pet project, and it’s a step way back in time.

Zen 3 is an iteration on Zen 2. It’s a safe bet it will be an improvement and not a step back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The latter seems plausible but if Zen 3 doesn't deliver at least 10% over the Zen 2 refresh, it's going to lead to an underwhelming launch. Hopefully AMD are just feeling confident.

e: What improvements are we expecting from the refresh? +200MHz or something like that?

The 3600 is 3.6 Ghz base / 4.2 Ghz turbo
The 3600X is 3.8 Ghz base / 4.4 Ghz turbo
The 3600XT is 4.0 Ghz base / 4.7 Ghz turbo (so +200 Mhz on the base, +300 Mhz on the turbo, compared to the 3600X)

The 3700X is 3.6 Ghz base / 4.4 Ghz turbo
The 3800X is 3.9 Ghz base / 4.5 Ghz turbo
The 3800XT is 4.2 Ghz base / 4.8 Ghz turbo (so +300 Mhz on the base and turbo, compared to the 3800X)

The 3900X is 3.8 Ghz base / 4.6 Ghz turbo
The 3900XT is 4.1 Ghz base / 4.8 Ghz turbo (so +300 Mhz on the base, +200 Mhz on the turbo, compared to the 3900X)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I hope it's a banger but if they had something that was considerably better than their competition, wouldn't they be talking about it and hyping it already?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I hope it's a banger but if they had something that was considerably better than their competition, wouldn't they be talking about it and hyping it already?

You don't when the competition is your current product

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The 3600
The 3600X
The 3600XT

The 3700X
The 3800X
The 3800XT

Why wasn't the 8-core part called 3800 with a 3800X bin in the first place? There must've been some reason beyond because.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

They want to sell the XTs and existing CPUs in the meanwhile. Osborne showed the problems with hyping your next product as being much better than what's available to buy. Apple and others learned their lessons from that debacle and pretty much only announce detail right when the product is available to purchase.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

v1ld posted:

Why wasn't the 8-core part called 3800 with a 3800X bin in the first place? There must've been some reason beyond because.
Imo it's simply to show that the 3700X is a strict upgrade from the 3600X (with a beefier stock cooler too), for the occasional buyer who might choose a 3600X over a 3700/3800 just for the X.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Its easy to get ahead if you don't measure tangible things!"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol this is very much the smile of a man telling you to ignore the performance of his product

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

Imo it's simply to show that the 3700X is a strict upgrade from the 3600X (with a beefier stock cooler too), for the occasional buyer who might choose a 3600X over a 3700/3800 just for the X.

Yeah, good theory.

It's funny how their product numbers are converging to 3999.99999X and will in the limit achieve 4000X.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

"Its easy to get ahead if you don't measure tangible things!"

Intel would like you to remember a time when the bits were a little bit warmer and calculations weren't so rushed.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Artisanal Intel processors

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Icept posted:

Intel would like you to remember a time when the bits were a little bit warmer and calculations weren't so rushed.

"Roll that beautiful bit footage!"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Finally we get PCI-ex 4.0 switches. The question is, just how long we have to wait for them to show up on motherboards?

I believe one of these would solve the problem I have with the current crop of newest-chipset boards from AMD, because I don't need the full bandwidth of even 24 pci-ex 3.0 lanes, let alone the 64 lanes that're on the motherboards that have enough daughterboard slots.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Maxing out 24 lanes is 2x NVME/10g pci-e and a GPU. We need more lanes imo. And when we get all the lanes, the transition to fast flash can happen and we can leave sata behind or regulate it to high capacity low speed storage.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Warren to the G-i-B

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hi thread, while I expect to be unabashedly gatekept and steamrolled having not read the previous 420 pages- I thought I'd at least ask another person before upgrading my VR dev & motion graphics rig from an i7-7700 / asrock z170-ac. I do a lot of stuff that's core-bound and I'm looking at the 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X with the ASUS B450M-A/CSM Prime board. Seems like I can get away with it for ~450 from Micro Center. Strangely it seems I can use my existing 16GB of 2133 DDR4 RAM and could add another 16 since there are 4 slots. Is there anything I should know before switching? Does the bundled cooler perform horribly? I should probably get an in-line liquid solution. I love you all.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kuskus posted:

Hi thread, while I expect to be unabashedly gatekept and steamrolled having not read the previous 420 pages- I thought I'd at least ask another person before upgrading my VR dev & motion graphics rig from an i7-7700 / asrock z170-ac. I do a lot of stuff that's core-bound and I'm looking at the 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X with the ASUS B450M-A/CSM Prime board. Seems like I can get away with it for ~450 from Micro Center. Strangely it seems I can use my existing 16GB of 2133 DDR4 RAM and could add another 16 since there are 4 slots. Is there anything I should know before switching? Does the bundled cooler perform horribly? I should probably get an in-line liquid solution. I love you all.

The PC part picking thread is the best place for these questions (just repost the same post there) but right off the bat I can tell you that they will say don't use DDR4-2133 together with any Ryzen and especially not with a high end one. RAM is reasonably priced again so it's not that expensive to get some decent stuff. One the Ryzen quirks is that the frequency of the interconnect between each 4-core chiplet (core clusters, CCX'es) has a relation to the RAM frequency, so by using slow RAM you end up slowing down the entire CPU as well. I don't have a Ryzen myself and I don't remember the details but I'm sure someone else would be happy to explain in more detail.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 2, 2020

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Thank you! This started because my current board wasn't happy with an "OC" RAM upgrade to a modestly priced 32GB above 2133. Happy to buy new RAM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Maxing out 24 lanes is 2x NVME/10g pci-e and a GPU. We need more lanes imo. And when we get all the lanes, the transition to fast flash can happen and we can leave sata behind or regulate it to high capacity low speed storage.
No GPU on the market, as far as I know, uses all the bandwidth of a PCI-ex 4.0 x16 slot, and to satuate it you need 8 NVMe SSDs running in RAID0, and there's only like one vendor who'll even sell you a card capable of it, and if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it.

EDIT: And the NVMe SSDs that can satuate PCI-Ex 4.0 x16 aren't the high-write-endurance once that can actually last, so it's not like you'll get that speed for the lifetime of the system.

As for relegating it, it's already been relegated everywhere outside of the consumer space. Even with filesystems like ZFS, the big customers are storing metadata on NVMe SSDs and bulk storing data in 10MB segments to get the most out of spinning rust.

For reference, with the PCIex 64b/66b encoding, there's a lot less overhead than the traditional 8b/10b encoding (~4% vs ~20%, iirc), but even then we're looking at something close to 160Gbps-170Gbps from a PCI-Ex 4.0 x16.
And with the 128b/130b encoding, you're only looking at ~2% overhead.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kuskus posted:

The Asus B450M-A prime is not the board you want to use with a 3900X: the 3900X is a high power part and that motherboard has a 4-phase VRM with no heatsinks. That board will choke on a fully loaded 3900X. And with an AIO water cooler that has no air circulation around the CPU area it might even self destruct. It's a lovely mobo.

For mATX B450s, the MSI B450M Gaming Plus can handle a 3900X. Or if you are wedded to Asus mobos, get one of their X570 boards because all of those are good.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Some Goon posted:

Warren to the G-i-B

lol i caught that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Klyith posted:

The Asus B450M-A prime is not the board you want to use with a 3900X: the 3900X is a high power part and that motherboard has a 4-phase VRM with no heatsinks. That board will choke on a fully loaded 3900X. And with an AIO water cooler that has no air circulation around the CPU area it might even self destruct. It's a lovely mobo.

For mATX B450s, the MSI B450M Gaming Plus can handle a 3900X. Or if you are wedded to Asus mobos, get one of their X570 boards because all of those are good.

Man, I miss when mobo manufactuers paid more attention to the mATX. It's kind of stuck in the middle between SFF builders (ITX) and regular ATX builds but drat the mATX was the perfect size