Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Je-ZUS that is a lot of headlight :eyepop::retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah that’s not it. They used to sell a $50 7” one, that’s what i have.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

M42 posted:

Nah that’s not it. They used to sell a $50 7” one, that’s what i have.

I wanna say the previous model was on closeout for like $75 and I'm still kicking myself for not getting one.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That might be it. Although at this point i’ve seen quite a few of the cheaper chinese leds in person... and it’s totally comparable imo. I’d buy cheap ones if this one broke.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Amazing shot m42! That sv looks incredible against that backdrop, and I'm jealous of your riding areas.

I wanted a morimoto in an SV/naked ever since m42 did theirs. It looks incredible. Jazzzzz was nice enough to give me one with the Hawk, and I love how it looks.

It's a shame the morimoto isn't bright at all. Pretty dangerous at night, but that's a problem with all those. Even the new one is only 3000 lum on high. I have palm sized flashlights that bright, that direct their output better.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

M42 posted:

That might be it. Although at this point i’ve seen quite a few of the cheaper chinese leds in person... and it’s totally comparable imo. I’d buy cheap ones if this one broke.

I wouldn't doubt it if it was the exact same manufacturer :tinfoil:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Stop posting renders, that photo is too nice to be real.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

One of the cheaper Chinese LEDs just came in today, coincidentally! It looks and feels pretty drat nice, won’t really get a feel for the brightness for a few more hours though. Opted for the model with the turn signals in the ring; either I find a set I like that fits the aesthetic, I find a stock set, or I use the headlight.

I think the blue GL has the same headlight sans turn signals, certainly close enough in appearance but it didn’t come with its own bucket.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure they are all cheap Chinese LED, but some companies charge more than others.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are in-light turn signals clear enough to be distinguished by a motorist? I’m always worried that with the glare of the white or red light, both front and rear integrated turn lights just look like “ah hell, he’s trying to turn but I’ll be damned if I can tell which way” if they’re close enough together.

E: not trying to be snarky, sorry if it comes across that way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Are in-light turn signals clear enough to be distinguished by a motorist? I’m always worried that with the glare of the white or red light, both front and rear integrated turn lights just look like “ah hell, he’s trying to turn but I’ll be damned if I can tell which way” if they’re close enough together.

Not usually, no.

Some tail lights with integrated signals will deactivate the brake light on the side with the active signal (so you get half the light lit up in red as a brake light and the other half blinking amber to indicate a turn), but not all do. Regardless they don't meet the legal requirement for separation distance between turn signal and brake light in states that have those types of regulations.

Full disclosure, I run an integrated brake/turn setup on my FZ-09. I have one in my Multi but also have separate LED turn signals on the rear for that bike as well. I run those lights because 1) they're actually brighter than the stock incandescent brake lights/signals 2) they have integrated brake flashers. If the stock setups had been bright LEDs from the factory I would've just added a standalone brake flasher and been done with it.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 2, 2020

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The DRC tail light with the 12 o'clock labs board in it was pretty ok, it did the half solid half flasher thing and it was bright as poo poo. I have since just gone back to regular sized led signals on everything though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

One of the cheaper Chinese LEDs just came in today, coincidentally! It looks and feels pretty drat nice, won’t really get a feel for the brightness for a few more hours though. Opted for the model with the turn signals in the ring; either I find a set I like that fits the aesthetic, I find a stock set, or I use the headlight.

I think the blue GL has the same headlight sans turn signals, certainly close enough in appearance but it didn’t come with its own bucket.

:bisonyes: It looks so much better naked, like your other one. Please report back on output of the main beam at night, and how bright the turn signals are. I keep hoping that newer generations of that modular are actually bright.

Martytoof posted:

Probably not noticeable from the front so much. Personally, I don't care about front signals as much as rear. I can predict traffic from the front, and never rely on being seen. But I REALLY want the guy behind me to know I'm slowing for a turn, so I put high priority on bright rear signals.

DOT OEM lamps are usually pretty good. Other than that, I really favor Rock Lights for signals. Compact, easy to mount or strap with zip ties, waterproof, heatsinked properly, and very bright.

Like seriously bright.

https://www.amazon.com/Offroad-Unde...91064859&sr=8-2

I have a pair of RED rock lights I can't find a use for because they are too bright to be used as auxiliary tail lights. I've almost been rearended at a light by a car that slid past me going 50mph, but I just can't bring myself to wire up these red rock lights and mount them to my top box.

Jazzzz would probably tell me to use em anyway.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Probably not, since entire motorcycles aren’t. It’s a stylistic choice.

Since Coydog posted those Rock Lights, though, I’m wondering if they’d fit under these pod arms. Originally they held bulky rectangular flood lights, and they will hold modern LED ones soon enough, but the Rock Light mounted underneath that would probably make it shine. Cheap enough to order up a set and start experimenting.

Also yeah, it’s staying naked until weather dictates otherwise.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

Not usually, no.

Some tail lights with integrated signals will deactivate the brake light on the side with the active signal (so you get half the light lit up in red as a brake light and the other half blinking amber to indicate a turn), but not all do. Regardless they don't meet the legal requirement for separation distance between turn signal and brake light in states that have those types of regulations.

Full disclosure, I run an integrated brake/turn setup on my FZ-09. I have one in my Multi but also have separate LED turn signals on the rear for that bike as well. I run those lights because 1) they're actually brighter than the stock incandescent brake lights/signals 2) they have integrated brake flashers. If the stock setups had been bright LEDs from the factory I would've just added a standalone brake flasher and been done with it.

In cars that have mixed headlights/running lights/indicators, the headlight winks off when the indicator on that side is activated and I find it extremely hard to parse. Something about the overall intensity of light intermittently dropping rather than increasing looks different enough to me that it takes longer to interpret as "that guy's turning right".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In Sweden the rear turn signals on a motorcycle have to be at least 18cm (~7") apart, which is conveniently just slightly more than the width of the license plate. When I got my bike the PO had mounted some undertail turn signals which I had to replace with pods after my first vehicle inspection because they were too close together.

No big loss as they were ugly as sin anyway and I found some pretty nice LED blinker pods to replace them with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

The DRC tail light with the 12 o'clock labs board in it was pretty ok, it did the half solid half flasher thing and it was bright as poo poo. I have since just gone back to regular sized led signals on everything though.

I had the DRC tail light on my last DRZ and it is the first aftermarket light I’ve bought that was head and shoulders better in every way than the OEM light. And the OEM DRZ tail light isn’t bad by any means, just ugly

They are so well made, it’s a bit surprising they’re as cheap as they are.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i made my own turn signals

they're pretty bright

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s not very safe to shine actual lasers into oncoming traffic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was waiting/hoping sage would post his signals. IIRC they use those superbright led bulbs at their core.

I have a pair of those in red in the hawk brake light and they are breathtaking. Maybe I should get 4 in amber for my signals but :effort:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I think wing mirror integrated turn signals in a retro style mirror would look great, unfortunately it only seems to be a thing that comes in space age plastic form.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think wing mirror integrated turn signals in a retro style mirror would look great, unfortunately it only seems to be a thing that comes in space age plastic form.

Shinyo make surface mount LED turn signals that you might be able to DIY.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Finally got out on our first ride with my girlfriend this year.

Pay no attention to the Chevelle in the background.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those are clean looking bikes, you're taking great care of some classics.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Can I get both a grilled cheese and a milk shake at the dairy mart?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had the DRC tail light on my last DRZ and it is the first aftermarket light I’ve bought that was head and shoulders better in every way than the OEM light. And the OEM DRZ tail light isn’t bad by any means, just ugly

They are so well made, it’s a bit surprising they’re as cheap as they are.

The 690 that I bought had a cobbled license plate holder that looked like poo poo and still had the US market incandescent tail light. One more bike gets the good ol' DRC.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

New video from Marlon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7ENFjqfb4

"Here we put the rocker arms in and check the clearances. This is important because it's the last time anyone will loving bother."

This is amazing, and I would have totally missed it if you didn't post it. Just hilarious, but it was also cool to see that old footage.

"Here we put in all five gears, and all 5 neutrals!"

Yerok posted:

The 690 that I bought had a cobbled license plate holder that looked like poo poo and still had the US market incandescent tail light. One more bike gets the good ol' DRC.

This is for the best. The 690 vibrates so intensely that I murdered bulbs left and right on my stock tail. I'm sure the copious stoppies didn't help...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coydog posted:

This is amazing, and I would have totally missed it if you didn't post it. Just hilarious, but it was also cool to see that old footage.

"Here we put in all five gears, and all 5 neutrals!"

A bit of Aussie trivia for you which is referenced in this vid: Ivan Milat is a notorious murderer of overseas backpackers, who buried his victims in a State Forest. He had a big moustache.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

Shinyo make surface mount LED turn signals that you might be able to DIY.

Couldn't find these but in the course of looking I did find various flat plate type led inserts designed to replace the bulb in retro bullet indicators; I reckon with a disc of ABS for backing and some double sided 3M foam I could probably whip something up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

help

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Coydog posted:

This is for the best. The 690 vibrates so intensely that I murdered bulbs left and right on my stock tail. I'm sure the copious stoppies didn't help...

Maybe the newer 690 Duke engine fixed this? My 2017 701 was pretty darn smooth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Facebook Marketplace post tomorrow:

Ninja 250 streetfighter conversion, AS IS NO TEST RIDES DON’T LOWBALL I KNOW WHAT I HAVE

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MODS?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“The side that has the unscrew thing” is nature’s way of telling you that you shouldn’t follow mechanical advice from this person. a veritable mechanics poison arrow frog

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What do you call that though?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

“The side that has the unscrew thing” is nature’s way of telling you that you shouldn’t follow mechanical advice from this person. a veritable mechanics poison arrow frog

I took that as Cole Davis trying to dumb down his instructions as much as possible so Clayton Barker might be able to understand him.

The real way to know you shouldn't follow mechanical advice from him is that it's a thread from a Facebook group.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The stator cover

mewse
May 2, 2006

"Cap", apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read that, I imagine this forum shutting down, and I get hot flashes.