Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

We have temperature checks at my work as well, except for when I show up to work, because the person is on lunch break then, so we just don't do them for that time period. So not super effective I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

21st Cherry boy posted:

They're doing temperature checks at my work with a forehead scanner, 100.4 and you get sent home. Mine was 92.3 and then 91.9 on a second check, very rude of the dispatcher to make me sign in when I am clearly dead.

You’re not dead till you’re warm and dead.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

There Bias Two posted:

The protests and reopenings are going to seed massive spikes across the country in the next 2-3 weeks, and that doesn't seem to be part of the discussion anywhere. It feels like we're fully in the "covid is totally over" denial phase.

These protests will end up killing more black people than the police ever could. Police kill about 200 black people a year (some justified, some not), covid has killed about 25,000 black people so far in 3 months. What a chaotic situation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

These protests will end up killing more black people than the police ever could. Police kill about 200 black people a year (some justified, some not), covid has killed about 25,000 black people so far in 3 months. What a chaotic situation.

but how does it compare to the flu

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My wife's co-worker just tested positive. My wife's work had the extremely loving stupid policy of "everyone comes into the office until someone gets it". I'm un-surprised by the outcome and loving pissed off at her management. My son has extremely severe asthma and I am very worried.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

What's killing the black people?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

mds2 posted:

My wife's co-worker just tested positive. My wife's work had the extremely loving stupid policy of "everyone comes into the office until someone gets it". I'm un-surprised by the outcome and loving pissed off at her management. My son has extremely severe asthma and I am very worried.

No lie I've read far too much about this and while you should and will be vigilant your son is STILL very much not at high risk. Kids really are extremely unlikely to become ill, literally millions are infected and ? a handful of deaths.

Just posting because anxiety is so very awful.

I don't blame you for being absolutely furious.

Spinz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 1, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mds2 posted:

I figure that's policy just about anywhere TBH

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone know the difference between a full face respirator rated p100 (like the 3m) vs a military grade gas mask like the m50

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone know the difference between a full face respirator rated p100 (like the 3m) vs a military grade gas mask like the m50

Are trying to avoid covid or tear gas?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So like that thing about Italian doctors saying Covid is weak now, maybe good news? It’s two guys in some Italian city hospital, but hey, maybe...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I am also hearing that it is a bacterium not a virus, which is just absolute nonsense right? Like we have known since the start it is a virus, we know the specific kind and everything? Everything is really hard to understand for me and I trust this thread to educate me far more than anyone I know in real life so I apologize if this is the dumbest thing posted

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
*doctor leaning into an open gown between two spreadeagled legs*

CONGRATULATIONS, IT'S A VIRUS!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

I am also hearing that it is a bacterium not a virus, which is just absolute nonsense right? Like we have known since the start it is a virus, we know the specific kind and everything? Everything is really hard to understand for me and I trust this thread to educate me far more than anyone I know in real life so I apologize if this is the dumbest thing posted

its not a bacteria. we could cure that with antibiotics. bacteria are weak

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rutibex posted:

its not a bacteria. we could cure that with antibiotics. bacteria are weak

I thought so thank you it's just ridiculous the amount of misinformation surrounding this and people post 8 thousand links to news articles and obviously they're all rags but it's just such a huge list you know? Thank you for answering me succinctly and without insulting me

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I haven't heard anything claiming it to be a bacterium, but I can understand how some people might be confused - pneumonia often follows influenza when the immune system is wrecked by the virus (influenza) and staph (bacteria) overwhelm the lungs as a secondary infection due to the immune system being too shot to do anything about it. There are two forms of pneumonia vaccines that work by strengthening the immune response to staph, but obviously these vaccines can't do anything about covid.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 1, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apparently bacteria have to pick being strong against antibiotics or strong against viruses. Not both.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

I thought so thank you it's just ridiculous the amount of misinformation surrounding this and people post 8 thousand links to news articles and obviously they're all rags but it's just such a huge list you know? Thank you for answering me succinctly and without insulting me

It really is insane the amount of flip flopping on the facts regarding this dumb virus from just about every source. The amount of uncertainty blasted in the publics faces daily is enough to drive anyone to the brink. And now its almost been a full six months we've been dealing with this poo poo and the misinformation shows no signs of stopping.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

It really is insane the amount of flip flopping on the facts regarding this dumb virus from just about every source. The amount of uncertainty blasted in the publics faces daily is enough to drive anyone to the brink. And now its almost been a full six months we've been dealing with this poo poo and the misinformation shows no signs of stopping.

Aids took like 10 years before people accepted it wasn’t a gay only disease

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alan Smithee posted:

"Military Grade" means "lowest bidder". Go with the 3M every time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blistex posted:

3M made a bunch of bad ear plugs for the military. 3M is a gov contractor.

Not saying not to use their poo poo, but they're just as bad as every other gov contractor out there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blistex posted:

Hey that's not always true. Sometimes it means that the requisition was written so narrowly that only a single company could fulfill the contract and the company who fulfilled the contract helped write it!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Have used both as I'm a vet. I wear the 3M P100 full face daily. It will protect you against covid and teargas.

The M50 is purpose built to be knocked around more without breaking the seal around your face, and the filters are rated for nuclear fallout. It's also much less comfortable IMO.

The 3M is the better choice as they are made for civilians to do daily work in and have nice soft silicone. The M50 was built as more of a "life or death" thing and has hard rubber.

One practical advantage of the M50 is you can drink fluids without taking it off, and they can have powered voice amplifiers attached where the 3M is only passive.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

21st Cherry boy posted:

They're doing temperature checks at my work with a forehead scanner, 100.4 and you get sent home. Mine was 92.3 and then 91.9 on a second check, very rude of the dispatcher to make me sign in when I am clearly dead.
They're doing temperature checks at the Dallas FedEx terminal with a forehead scanner, but I have no idea what my readings are they just wave me through.

Ocala terminal dispatch now does everything over the phone.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Yeah, people want more information and the media wants to spew out as much unfiltered clickbait as they possibly can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've learned to immediately search any news article I read for the actual source of information. News (internet news anyway) has just become a game of telephone where sites copy directly from other sites, so a quick scan will usually show you where they actually got the "information" from. If it ever says some poo poo like "a source close to us says" or "a tip from this mommy blogger" you can safely discard it as bullshit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Have used both as I'm a vet. I wear the 3M P100 full face daily. It will protect you against covid and teargas.

The M50 is purpose built to be knocked around more without breaking the seal around your face, and the filters are rated for nuclear fallout. It's also much less comfortable IMO.

The 3M is the better choice as they are made for civilians to do daily work in and have nice soft silicone. The M50 was built as more of a "life or death" thing and has hard rubber.

One practical advantage of the M50 is you can drink fluids without taking it off, and they can have powered voice amplifiers attached where the 3M is only passive.

which full face 3M btw?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

3M made a bunch of bad ear plugs for the military. 3M is a gov contractor.

Not saying not to use their poo poo, but they're just as bad as every other gov contractor out there.

3M's commercial stuff and what they sell to the military most likely have different standards. A 3M respirator they make to seel to businesses is probably made to a higher standard that one they would offload on the Military.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2020

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Today the terraces of café's are opening up again, so this afternoon I could have a nice cup of coffee during my bicycle tour in the countryside.

The one I visited had spread out its tables and chairs over the village green, so plenty of space in between. Everyone looked happy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Today the terraces of café's are opening up again, so this afternoon I could have a nice cup of coffee during my bicycle tour in the countryside.

The one I visited had spread out its tables and chairs over the village green, so plenty of space in between. Everyone looked happy.

bunch of idiots

don't they know they're all already DEAD

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I love how the lockdown protests look now in comparison.

Karen: I want a hair cut *annoys some poor state capitol rent-a-cop*
Every major city in the entire country: Enough with police brutality! *Causes millions in economic damage*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

America has no loving chill

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alan Smithee posted:

America has no loving chill

Buddy we are all out of chill.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A White Guy posted:

Stupid as gently caress ?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A White Guy posted:

Karen: I want a hair cut *annoys some poor state capitol rent-a-cop*
Every major city in the entire country: Enough with police brutality! *Causes millions in economic damage*

How does a bunch of immature boomers having a tantrum look different after police brutality protests?

They don't look any less dumb.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I heard there was going to be a meat shortage so I stocked up on beefcakes. I will keep the best stock for myself while distributing the less than perfect ones out to the regional governesses. This is how I shall maintain order in my new feudal kingdom

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Stupid as gently caress ?

And hypocritical as gently caress. The same people who were rushing legislatures with assault rifles because the quarantine measures were "fascism" are now defending cops assaulting people for breaking curfew to protest.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Spinz posted:

No lie I've read far too much about this and while you should and will be vigilant your son is STILL very much not at high risk. Kids really are extremely unlikely to become ill, literally millions are infected and ? a handful of deaths.

Just posting because anxiety is so very awful.

I don't blame you for being absolutely furious.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is incorrect in a pretty dangerous way and I really hope you're not saying this to other parents in your life. While children are in the least likely group to be hospitalized for breathing difficulties there are a number of unique ways COVID-19 presents in pediatric cases and parents should absolutely be vigilant about keeping their kids from getting it if at all possible. We have absolutely no way of knowing at this point what the long term ramifications of this illness is on development, especially with mounting evidence of vascular and neurological effects.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/32076-a-review-of-neurological-complications-of-covid-19
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-considerations-in-children
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/kid...very-infrequent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7180343/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30980-6/fulltext

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Spinz posted:

No lie I've read far too much about this and while you should and will be vigilant your son is STILL very much not at high risk. Kids really are extremely unlikely to become ill, literally millions are infected and ?

Yes! Kawasaki disease is lots of fun....vroom vroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mds2, your son will probably be fine.

Everyone else, please don’t willingly expose your children to the virus with the idea that they’re invincible. They’re not. They are less imperilled than grandma is, but do you really want your kid to be the guinea pig for this exciting new disease?