Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

Here is a question, do you think the CIG money counter does not differentiate between new money purchases and people melting and then buying a new ship? It would make sense with everyone playing these buy and melt games. At least to a point.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm not sure how much it could account for, but it's literally the only thing that doesn't have me questioning the nature of reality.

Daztek posted:

Have you considered that Star Citizen is actually good and we're wrong???

Every drat minute of every day, because it's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

monkeytek posted:

Here is a question, do you think the CIG money counter does not differentiate between new money purchases and people melting and then buying a new ship? It would make sense with everyone playing these buy and melt games. At least to a point.

That would make sense if the recent patch and invictus disaster caused a butt load of people to rethink their stance on Star Citizen and sell everything on the grey market. The cultists want to buy more ships and think they're getting a steal of a deal buying up credits for pennies on the dollar from people desperate to cash out. CIG could count the original purchases, the transactions, the buying with store credit as more income and there would be a lot of panic selling/buying given the state of the game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

The money counter is most likely very fake, but I can totally buy the Shitizens throwing more money at them the slower "development" progresses. That's what Chris promised after all (more money = faster development!).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen good

Just buy cosmetics

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Strangler 42 posted:

The only winning move is not to play

The one drat thing Roberts figured out.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/pE5rWLU.mp4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yep, like I said before, just release it as some hosed up Dead Space clone.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep, like I said before, just release it as some hosed up Dead Space clone.

Dad Space more like

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Google did that, it is called Stadia.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hav posted:

hmm. that's a lot of gross sales.

All Star Citizen sales are gross.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

My friends are trying to convince me that this game is a ponzi scheme.. Hahahahaha.. Most likely because I'm selling it so hard to everyone I know.. And because it's been in development for so long.. :)

quote:

Yeah this is the first time I've experienced that. My ongoing 5+ year support of Star Citizen has basically turned my friends off. They are tentatively interested when it "releases" but otherwise basically don't wanna hear about it any more. I have my own, basically private, channel in our discord where I can flood as much SC content as I want and they can just ignore it unless they're in the mood.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Does CIG still give employees an enormous employee discount of ships? I remember it being something crazy like 50% which would make buying ship packs and flipping them for cash crazy lucrative. At least back when you cold sell special edition ships for more than they were worth because of the artificial scarcity. Nowadays CIG will sell any ship that was previously available for a limited time only and in small quantities. A ship flipping scheme could still technically work with the prices being so bargain basement low, but they would have to make up the difference with high volume. That could explain the sudden spike in funding.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Strangler 42 posted:

That would make sense if the recent patch and invictus disaster caused a butt load of people to rethink their stance on Star Citizen and sell everything on the grey market. The cultists want to buy more ships and think they're getting a steal of a deal buying up credits for pennies on the dollar from people desperate to cash out. CIG could count the original purchases, the transactions, the buying with store credit as more income and there would be a lot of panic selling/buying given the state of the game.

Heh, maybe CIG is lumping grey market sales into the funding tracker. "That counts as a ship sold... add it to the tracker!"

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Daztek posted:

Anthem, Fallout 76, and Elder Scrolls Blades are all making money. People talking about "good gameplay" have entirely missed the boat. I mean sure maybe some of these games off an initial surge, but it's like slot machines. Involving gameplay is merely one type of hook. It is not the primary driving factor for the slot machine industry at large.

Does Destiny 2 have "good gameplay"? That's not even the primary factor. People who plop down $6,000 on microtransactions make up for a hell of a lot of quote-unquote lost sales from people who only cared about gameplay but who don't pay for microtransactions and maybe even re-sell a game after it's done.

These games need good enough gameplay to get a certain set of people initially hooked. They have absolutely no real incentive to do anything else with it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Destiny 2 has excellent gameplay, based on the 20 or so hours I played.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Daztek posted:

Oh, i WANT SC to be good. I want us to be wrong.

But wanting it to be good doesn't make it good. Wanting it to be a game doesn't make it a game.

It just makes it easier to ignore all the things that aren't good, that aren't a game.

I want SC to be good and fun, but I don't think it will happen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

akkristor posted:

I want SC to be good and fun, but I don't think it will happen.

yep! and in the meantime making GBS threads on it is more fun than playing, so

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The funding tracker makes sense to me.

There'll be a bit of third-party fraud payments which get charged-back, some 30-day refunds, VAT, and other accounting that doesn't get deducted, but the majority of $$$$ will be backers buying jpegs.

The November to February months were high earners because of CitizenCon sale, Xmas/NewYear spending, 3.8.x stability, and dumb ship hype like the Carrack.

During all that time backers would get frustrated that their earned-in-game stuff would get wiped when a patch dropped, so they'd spend "just a little bit more" to permanently have the ship they wanted without grinding.

Long Term Persistence Tier-Zero in 3.8.2 then brought more sponsored Twitch streamers with the excuse "you can play and progress now with your viewers. Have a few jpegs for giveaways and view-boosting. LIRIK plays and we definitely didn't pay him to stream.". More views, more exposure, more ship buying.

"Well, you could grind to this jpeg, but if you just spend a little more you don't need to grind".

Then COVID happened: people staying in more, playing games more, government support payments in a ton of countries, etc.

:shepspends: :homebrew:

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Quavers posted:

Then COVID happened: people staying in more, playing games more, government support payments in a ton of countries, etc.

:shepspends: :homebrew:

Hey, I used my Covid payment on a 3d printer

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

It's probably real numbers and the people at CIG are probably just as confused and surprised as we are.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

at his point I seriously have to consider that I'm "playing it wrong"

Have you considered playing it naked while swiping your credit card down your urinary meatus? (edited as apparently i used an inappropriate phrase).

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 2, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Usually it's a good thing to have a shipped-game on your CV, so long as it isn't shovel-ware. But is it going to be a selling-point to a company if you only worked on Star Citizen, a game unlikely to ever be made?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Agony Aunt posted:

Have you considered playing it naked while swiping your credit card down your jap's eye?

:yikes:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

sebmojo posted:

Destiny 2 has excellent gameplay, based on the 20 or so hours I played.

It has insanely solid gameplay, it's one of my greatest disappointments because there's so much unused space and everything is locked behind "raids" and other hellish unbalanced experiences to have with the worst people imaginable. But the shooting is loving grand.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Agony Aunt posted:

Have you considered playing it naked while swiping your credit card down your jap's eye?

Up to this point my day had been uneventful.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

monkeytek posted:

Makes sense, seems typical CIG. You buy a $500 ship - CIG says "hey we just made $500 dollars!" You melt it, get $400 of credit, pay $200 more to buy a $600 ship, CIG says "Hey we just made $600!" Make $700, but claim $1100.

If the tracker just increments by the dollar value of the ship package they just sold, instead of actually adding the net dollars of the purchase transaction itself, the tracker suddenly makes a lot more sense.

But not enough to explain the last couple months.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 1, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Quote from the leaks discord:

"Hey gamers, here's a "leak" in which I simp for CIG.

The S42 video, while some have speculated that it contains devastatingly bad news for the single player game, such as multi-year delays or something, I can say that S42 compared to the current public S42 roadmap's "general dates" (internal beta/alpha being those primary key dates) has been commented by my sources as only being one or two quarters off their projections (leaning towards a single quarter, sometimes even saying that things have been mainly on schedule). The failure of the S42 roadmap stems from a mixture of the "chapter" roadmap being a horrible idea and the "features" section being date based both too far in the future and inaccurate to their approaches on creating these tools internally. It's with these failures of presenting accurate information, a failure to present a substantial amount of information, and previous years delays that has created an air of doubt towards its progress. I can assure you that S42 is primarily on time, and CIG is working their damnest to make sure it reaches their current internal projections. While I do not know the content of the upcoming video, I do know this:

S42 is not seeing a multi-year delay. The video was not delayed in order to prevent the public from knowing its progress so they can make their sale more popular. S42 is very likely releasing next year."

quote:

Another interesting statistic; I've graphed CIG's SQ42 task progress on the roadmap, and of all of their tasks they assigned themselves between Q4 2018 and Q2 2020, as of early-March when they stopped updating the SQ42 roadmap, CIG had completed 79.9% of them.

Obviously now, almost 3 months later, that percentage (almost certainly) will be higher. Granted, they didn't reveal all of their SQ42 tasks on the roadmap, but it does show that they're making good progress when it comes to actually completing work.

quote:

Allow me to speculate on why a company would abandon $45m a year in crowdfunding:

RDR2 - $725m in three days
Borderlands 3 - $300m in three days (my estimate, based on copies sold)
Fallout 4 - $750m in 24 hours
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - >$700m in two weeks (estimated, based on copies sold)

If CIG are as focused on money as you imply, surely the absolute best thing they could do is finish and release SQ42 as soon as possible? Assuming even modest sales of 2-3m copies (which would match something like Detroit: Become Human) that would bring in around $150m. That's three years of crowdfunding in a couple of weeks.

It's a stupid argument and people would be wise to stop proffering it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

hey man, just a heads up that saying poo poo like that isn't great in the best of times but right now I ain't really got patience for this kinda racist online jokey poo poo

and I know there's gonna be a reply like "but thats how us in europe or wherever the gently caress I am talk to each other, like what else am I gonna call my dickhole" and its like call it a loving dickhole or cock slit or the loving entrance to your dong dungeon or your cum whistle or anything but that racist garbage

read the loving room man

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://v.redd.it/kajlqown9d251

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Scruffpuff posted:

Makes sense, seems typical CIG. You buy a $500 ship - CIG says "hey we just made $500 dollars!" You melt it, get $400 of credit, pay $200 more to buy a $600 ship, CIG says "Hey we just made $600!" Make $700, but claim $1100.

If the tracker just increments by the dollar value of the ship package they just sold, instead of actually adding the net dollars of the purchase transaction itself, the tracker suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Last few months then involve the final part I call it "idiots are soon parted from their money" syndrome.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Can we get the next hello dump please

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Now tell us your opinions on bearded hipsters.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Usually it's a good thing to have a shipped-game on your CV, so long as it isn't shovel-ware. But is it going to be a selling-point to a company if you only worked on Star Citizen, a game unlikely to ever be made?

Serious answer: depends on what you worked on, and how well you can explain what you did. There are plenty of people in the industry who have never shipped a title. A friend of a friend went 10 straight years working on projects that were canned before launch.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

Now this is a really good explanation. I'll bet that's exactly how they report it.

I have no idea if that would completely explain the insane level of funding right now though.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

In fact when I was writing my ejector seat rant earlier, I wondered to myself "why have ejectors anyway?" In X4 you can just teleport yourself to your ship, Star Trek had teleporters, SC is set in a distant future, they could write in anything they wanted- make things easier on themselves. If they actually wanted to get the game out, that is.

I wanted to really zoom in on this because I think it can illustrate something about Star Citizen, its (theoretical) gameplay, and its setting.

So, let's assume that to cut out the 'getting into the ship' animation, we're going to say that you can in fact just teleport yourself into your ship. Because we're going for IMMERSION, we want there to be an in-lore explanation for this - plus, we need a way for people to enter and leave ships during combat - but whatever explanation we're going to make has to also take into account why we don't just teleport ourselves across the galaxy. Range is the most obvious limitation here. We can make it a bit more interesting and 'low tech' by saying that teleportation (especially of complex organics) requires a physical connection to be made between areas of the 'teleportation grid'. This means you still have to land your ship on a landing pad, which we presumably like the aesthetic of. In addition, we don't have to figure out how hatches open or close, or how to hide loading people between zone areas, for example boarding, in-universe, can be handled by saying you're sending a spike through the enemy's hull to project your teleportation grid into their ship. No blowing open holes with millions of polygons and debris fields to render, no ship transfer animations, no special animations for extending docking ports. No ships with opening hatches. No actual need to truly seamlessly transfer between ship and exterior and ship and other ship because you just zap into a loading screen. By introducing the limitation of physical contact, we've also created a problem that our heroes in our story will have to work around.

With this one decision and a bit of creativity/extrapolation, we have solved multiple problems of game design AND created a principal by which our ship design and lore will be informed. We can create an entire universe from this seed of an idea that's been invented to cover up a bit of 'trickery' and bypass certain technical hurdles. As cheesy as it sounds to say it we've turned our adversity into an advantage. This is what game design is about to me, but I see no signs of such creativity in Star Citizen.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Boarding harpoons sound rad as heck

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dooguk posted:

Up to this point my day had been uneventful.

No loving poo poo on that one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

This thread just can't help itself apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine CIG has hired some marketing researchers who are trying to find the limits of JPEG sales. Like they keep coming up with more and more absurd prices and doo-dads to sell, looking to find the breaking point were people say "now that's taking it too far" and they just never find that point.