Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I caught up with my friend yesterday who had backed Star Citizen and still plays it and he regaled me the story of how they rolled out their latest big patch the day before a free-fly event and held a massive server-wide event that basically ensured the entire game was totally unstable and worthless for the entire duration that anybody new could look at it. But don't worry, their e-commerce server remained completely stable throughout the whole thing so there was record numbers of people buying the spaceship skin they added cop car lights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Everspace 2 may have you covered but it’s not even in Early Access for ages. End of this year at the earliest.
That honestly looks exactly like Ace Combat in space to me. I guess I still want a first-person cockpit and HUD, and that kind of sim-ish flight? Just not a million subsystems and submenus and details to worry about, since they're goddamn impossible to remember which key does what until you've played the game for 20 hours.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 2, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huh i didnt know they made a new yooka laylee. actually looks really good.

guess i might as well finally get the first one for $5 in that bundle too.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Infinite Karma posted:

I wanna play a game where I can zip around in a space jet going pew pew pew, but not on rails. Basically give me X-Wing/Tie Fighter level of detail, not Ace Combat and not Elite: Dangerous, but let me fly all over the galaxy being a space hero/rear end in a top hat.

I haven't played it but maybe take a look at Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Infinite Karma posted:

I wanna play a game where I can zip around in a space jet going pew pew pew, but not on rails. Basically give me X-Wing/Tie Fighter level of detail, not Ace Combat and not Elite: Dangerous, but let me fly all over the galaxy being a space hero/rear end in a top hat.

Void Destroyer 2 perhaps? It has some elements of X and some Homeworld in there too though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gromit posted:

A friend bought a bunch of us the starting ship in Star Citizen many years ago, back when it was all new and hyped and all you could do was look at your ship in the hangar. Since then every 6 months or so another friend suggests we give it a shot as "there's actually game stuff you can do in it now!"

We spend ages updating the install, and then have to fumble our way through a giant FPS map to find our ships, get in one and fly to the the surface and then get bored and go back to playing something fun. It blows my mind how this scam didn't just end with Chris Roberts and his buddies skipping the country and retiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEhcCibH8A

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here played Dead Hand? It's a weird tactical tank roguelike game about you as a tank trying to send off some nukes. It has like six reviews but sounds extremely cool.

I’ve had it on my wish list for months but with six reviews I’m not ready to take the chance it. It looks and sounds real weird so it has my interest

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Man this is probably an old video, I hope they've fixed some of the oh no this is from Tuesday.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reminder that Star Citizen originally hired out a studio to do their FPS mechanics, wherein that studio was incapable of making a view model work correctly so when you ADSed the gun flipped backwards in your hands. When they fixed that the gun then didn't shoot where you were aiming. Then that studio stole a bunch of CIG's money to go make a Cthulhu sex MMO that never even got into alpha.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Orv posted:

Cthulhu sex MMO

:allbuttons:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, playing Terraria and wondering what it would be like if the combat was actually good in one of these style games

Orv posted:

Reminder that Star Citizen originally hired out a studio to do their FPS mechanics, wherein that studio was incapable of making a view model work correctly so when you ADSed the gun flipped backwards in your hands. When they fixed that the gun then didn't shoot where you were aiming. Then that studio stole a bunch of CIG's money to go make a Cthulhu sex MMO that never even got into alpha.

THAT WAS THE SAME COMPANY??!!?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was, yes.

Our thread for the Cthulhu sex MMO, of course started by MMO HMO's own Cardiovorax, Alexander de Large. It's a good read if you wanna see some insane poo poo.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

What in the glorious world of online forums am I looking at? I wished all the links worked. Some of them are dead. I feel like I'm missing out on some good stuff.
-
Oh uh... Loosely back on topic, pick up your Twitch games. Project Warlock is on there.

Aaaaaand, The Evil Within 2 performed like garbage for me. So... huge bummer there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

project warlock is solid, it understands proper doom level design even if the weapons don't feel super great

bear in mind the first level is the hardest level in the game for some reason

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

What in the glorious world of online forums am I looking at? I wished all the links worked. Some of them are dead. I feel like I'm missing out on some good stuff.

Revival was never anything more than some house assets so it's all there in the text, it was basically another insane MMO idea but this time with serial murder and orgies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And pies

quote:

Recent immigrant Marlena has decided that people will always need to eat, so she has chosen to strike out as a commercial cook. Her home has an upgradeable room, which she has equipped with a kitchen, so she has the basics to make just about any common recipe. A player merchant at the market sold her a book of recipes the day before, and Marlena is pretty sure that she’s got the stuff in her inventory to make some of the moderately difficult recipes in there. She double checks her pantry and finds that, while she’s got bread, almonds, and even some pastry (an item she made the day before with flour, egg, and water) she hasn’t got any meat or vegetables. So, it’s to be the market then.

On her way to market, Marlena thinks over some concerns about her business as it stands. She’s been mostly sticking to common fish pies, and recently experimented with her recipe and hit on a slightly better, spiced fish pie by adding powdered peppercorns to her recipe, but even these aren’t making her the kind of money she’d like. Also, those spicy fish pies weren’t all that challenging to her. Worse, when she was at the market last, there was a merchant selling fish pies at half what she did. She was going to have to try something new.

What she can find at market is sure to inform what she makes in her kitchen, so Marlena shops around, and checks her recipe book from time to time until she hits upon a recipe that she thinks is challenging, but manageable, and isn’t being sold at all the other merchants. Many of which, Marlena notices, are selling fish pies like the ones she was trying to make her way on, and that stands to reason as fish is cheap here on the ‘Rock. Marlena is going to make something different though, this time, she’s going to make mutton pies.

She buys mutton from a merchant that sells local sheep, raised in the North Gate Farms, and buys red wine from the Lonely Rock Brewery. But she cannot find the mushrooms called for in the recipe at any of the merchant stalls. Luckily, she knows where some grow, just outside of the walls. Marlena is good at the gathering game, so she hurries to her favorite spot and sure enough, there are mushrooms there. She initiates the gathering minigame, then brushes aside the leaves and ground clutter to expose the precious fungi. She deftly cuts away all of the exposed mushrooms and succeeds well enough to gather many mutton pies worth of mushrooms from the location.

Now, time to go home and cook. Marlena returns to her Kitchen, where she can now pull the rest of her ingredients from her pantry, and get to work. Before she does, Marlena remembers to go to her shrine of Hylathe, where she spends a moment asking for The Rose of Summer’s grace and guidance in her cooking.

When Marlena activates the cooking minigame, she is presented with a list of what she can make, given the tools and ingredients at her disposal. She quickly locates the Mutton pie recipe from the list, as the recipes that she could not access have greyed out. She has the tools and the ingredients for the mutton pie at the ready, and thus the minigame begins.

Marlena sees before her the preparation surface, where she’s got mutton to chop. The meat is before her on the cutting board, and Marlena must swipe or chop the meat. There is a mechanic that she must master for each process involved in the recipe, like punching at dough when kneading and proofing, swiping along lines for cutting, and stirring at regular intervals when mixing or boiling. She is good at most of these processes, and the one she’s worst at, grilling, doesn’t feature in this recipe.

For the final step, Marlena puts these all together into her pie, performs the baking minigame, which she finds a breeze. She is very successful, and as she looks over the results of her crafting, Marlena sees that she has achieved five mutton pies of high quality. This is likely to fetch a great price at market, and she’s pretty sure that she can experiment with ground pepper to improve the recipe even more. She’ll want to go back to the Cullwarren Market and get these to the pie monger soon, as they’ll cool and lose value if she waits until tomorrow, so off she runs.

Someday though, Marlena dreams of being able to buy herself a storefront, where she can have an employee sell her signature foods for her, and get back to her kitchen all the faster. That’s the real way to make a name for herself. Perhaps she’ll work out a personal deal with the sheepherder in North Gate to lower her costs by cutting out that middleman in the market (besides ensuring a predictable supply chain!) Or ask the farmer if they’d cultivate mushrooms for their mutton pie enterprise? One thing she’ll be sure to do is to ask her journaling friend to help her write down her spiced fish pie recipe, too, so she can start up a sideline in experimental recipes. Some cooks on Crowns Rock swear that cookbooks are where the real money is! Just another day on Marlena the cook’s culinary adventure!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's like a warm bath. Early 2000's era galaxy-brain MMO design but in 2015 somehow

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ciaphas posted:

What I want right now, is a HOTAS and a spaceship game use for it, bonus points for VR, zero points for Elite:Dangerous (unless they've deepened the gameplay lake by now?)

There's always Enemy Starfighter! (or whatever they renamed it to at launch)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The second they say "It's not a theme park game, it's an immersive world" it's guaranteed to be a complete shitshow.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theme park games rule

i should get Parkitect

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

theme park games rule

i should get Parkitect

It’s amazing, highly recommend.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s amazing, highly recommend.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You love to see it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rock and stone

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

rock and stone

I prefer the drink that knocks you out in one mug.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Orv posted:

So X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace, those are all what exactly?

They had longer campaigns with more interesting missions and variety than Dying Sun's incredibly limited few missions. I'd have less problem with Dying Sun if there were more missions or if there was a decent meta-layer of some sort that actually incentivised the whole quick raid mentality the game pushes for, and having seen the footage of the mode where you're raiding systems, taking out key points and building up a fleet, trying to avoid raising a system-wide alarm and activating patrols, I was extremely disappointed by the totally disjointed nature of the 14 five minute long missions. Played them over and over again, definitely got my money's worth, but drat. Could've been so much more.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's just so annoying every some internet genius has a freak-out become someone said something vaguely negative about their favourite video game ever of the moment, ugh.

See, there's that, but there's also having your opinion be "yeah I'd play this amazing game if it was open world instead because that's space games". That's like saying that you'd never touch anything from Mario Kart to Gran Turismo because they aren't open world racing games a la Burnout Paradise.

Serephina posted:

There's always Enemy Starfighter! (or whatever they renamed it to at launch)

House of the Dying Sun is not a very good game for HOTAS. It is built 100% for an Xbox controller, and I remember the dev pulling their hair out over trying to implement support for joysticks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Finally, the VR selling app has arrived.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that pizza delivery boy is pretty hot

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here played Dead Hand? It's a weird tactical tank roguelike game about you as a tank trying to send off some nukes. It has like six reviews but sounds extremely cool.

I guess I will be in twenty minutes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn’t House of the Dying Sun basically made by 1 person? Everything could have been more but there’s only so much you can do.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kibayasu posted:

Wasn’t House of the Dying Sun basically made by 1 person? Everything could have been more but there’s only so much you can do.

Yea, I was *so* excited for it during development, then he went on a mission to get VR working for it (fair enough!), then all of a sudden all the goals where pared back and release happened out of the blue. Shame, it really looked like it had so much more potential, I never bought it =[

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A friend bought me NIOH at the last big Steam sale, and I finally got around to playing it today. It feels like a really off-brand Dark Souls on first impression, and I was kind of shocked to see it came out as recently as 2017. Does it improve after the Tower of London and I just need to get over the initial hump or is this indicative of the game going forward? I'd like to give it a proper chance, especially considering it was a gift, but not if I'm gonna be banging my head against the same wall for 20-30 hours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jerusalem posted:

A friend bought me NIOH at the last big Steam sale, and I finally got around to playing it today. It feels like a really off-brand Dark Souls on first impression, and I was kind of shocked to see it came out as recently as 2017. Does it improve after the Tower of London and I just need to get over the initial hump or is this indicative of the game going forward? I'd like to give it a proper chance, especially considering it was a gift, but not if I'm gonna be banging my head against the same wall for 20-30 hours.

I personally did not like it a all. generally what you see is what you get. there is virtually no enemy variety and you will see the same chained dick n balls boss, but now two. the level design kind of stays the same mushy gray/navy blues, and rng loot inventory management doesn't get better. the real 'hook' is the combat but if you aren't into it, it doesn't really change.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

It was, over several years, and he had the system raiding stuff fully playable. He just didn't like it, and is definitely a perfectionist. Not holding that against him, it's one of the best space games out there for that very reason. The actual game itself, beyond the ship physics and command interface, changed multiple times because, partly because he'd get tired of it and think it wasn't good enough. Originally it was going to be Rainbow Six style - plan and execute through a campaign, much more tactical.

Serephina posted:

Yea, I was *so* excited for it during development, then he went on a mission to get VR working for it (fair enough!), then all of a sudden all the goals where pared back and release happened out of the blue. Shame, it really looked like it had so much more potential, I never bought it =[

It's still worth buying! Getting VR working wasn't that much of a task, compared to getting HOTAS joysticks working. He posted in the thread for the game here quite frequently and had dev streams, really interesting stuff. It's no surprise that he ended up simplifying it down as much as possible, though it was a shame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xaris posted:

I personally did not like it a all. generally what you see is what you get. there is virtually no enemy variety and you will see the same chained dick n balls boss, but now two. the level design kind of stays the same mushy gray/navy blues, and rng loot inventory management doesn't get better. the real 'hook' is the combat but if you aren't into it, it doesn't really change.

Thanks, doesn't sound like my type of thing sadly. I will give it another try just on the off-chance something clicks, but it sounds like wherever I end up stopping playing I won't actually be missing out on anything I won't have already seen.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The tower of london bit is really rough because you don't get access to any of the skill trees or ninja magic. Give it another try once you reach Japan and actually get to actually pick up some abilities.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The tower of london is not a good representation of the rest of the game because the stance and ki pulse system is super integral to the combat system and you don't get those until afterwards. It's still pretty lethal until you get a grasp of things, but if you explore your options you actually get a lot of powerful tools to make things easier for yourself, like extra lives or the ability to slow bosses to a crawl for a bit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hot Take: Nioh would have been way better if they had just copied more of Dark Souls instead of doing what they did.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

IMO it actually would have been better off doing the opposite and embracing its action side more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Nioh is like a cross between Sekiro, Diablo 3, and Dark Souls, and if it just picked a lane it'd be amazing instead it did all 3 things poorly.