Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

For the main story the key skills to link are mainly coming from Shulk anyway. The others help but it's postgame when you'd really want to optimize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Overall, I think XBC's dub is the superior version... which only makes 2's voice direction all the more appalling.

Yeah, Rex's va ether can not, or was instructed not to, do power rangers yells anywhere near as well as Shulk and the whole region based voice thing could have worked but they were really inconsistant with it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, Rex's va ether can not, or was instructed not to, do power rangers yells anywhere near as well as Shulk and the whole region based voice thing could have worked but they were really inconsistant with it.

Shulk sounds like white hot ball of rage half the time, and Rex... Well I mean, he's trying, you know? Probably. Maybe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Most of Xenoblade Chronicle's VA's were a random assortment of British stage and television actors.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm aware of that. I mean they were trying to do something in XB2 where most of the Blades had American accents and every location had its own accent (including the hilarious bit where you're chased by a groundskeep of angry imperialist scotsmen) but it felt inconsistent.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 2, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
As a new player to this game, I must say I really hate how Super Smash Ultimate spoils you the identity of Metal Face (and as whole what's the deal with the faced Mechons) with the dumb spiritboard gimmick. That was probably a neat reveal going blinded.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 2, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am on Chapter 14 now, and primarily playing as Riki because he is built like an absolute tank but can do a lot of damage. Plus the name of his skills is great, making him the best playable character in the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Riki's one genuine flaw is that his tiny tiny legs can't handle shallow water.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Riki's one genuine flaw is that his tiny tiny legs can't handle shallow water.

Well that and he apparently was educated on birth control by alabama public schools.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Snake Maze posted:

Just use them together. There’s no unusable combos and the game is hundreds of hours long - you’ll want the variety eventually. Plus, if you don’t use all the party combos how will you hear all the banter??

Heropon and Herohom invincible!

How did they hit the homerun to end all homeruns with this game Nopons, and how did they drop the ball horribly with X and 2 Nopons, mankind will never know.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is probably a dumb question but when you pull up the full map with Y is there a way to just...exit back to the game with one button press instead of having to exit to the map selection screen and then exit again to the game?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deified Data posted:

This is probably a dumb question but when you pull up the full map with Y is there a way to just...exit back to the game with one button press instead of having to exit to the map selection screen and then exit again to the game?

X button.

I know, it makes no sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Am I missing something or is there no way to change characters during combat?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Omobono posted:

How did they hit the homerun to end all homeruns with this game Nopons, and how did they drop the ball horribly with X and 2 Nopons, mankind will never know.

The Nopons in XBC2 making sex robots didn't help.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Waltzing Along posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way to change characters during combat?

You only control the party leader in combat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Omobono posted:

On the other hand they have really fun outfits in XB2 and a lot of diversity going on there

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm going to try this whole Dunban dodge tank thing this time around. I briefly tried it when playing XBC1 for the first time, but I generally stuck to Reyn.

lezard_valeth posted:

As a new player to this game, I must say I really hate how Super Smash Ultimate spoils you the identity of Metal Face (and as whole what's the deal with the faced Mechons) with the dumb spiritboard gimmick. That was probably a neat reveal going blinded.

Yeah, it is; I feel fortunate that I knew nothing at all when I originally played the game. That was a pretty well done twist.

I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles does about as good of a job as a JRPG can do while incorporating a bunch of completely nuts plot elements. Stuff generally makes plenty of sense given what they tell you.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just got Dunban in my party and I went all the way back to Colony 9 to forge some Agility gems cause I loved Morag in 2 and she was a dodge tank too.

I actually ended up wiping during the first part against Xord because the game gives you zero warning that they'll be throwing you into a boss fight the moment you step into the elevator that takes you down and I was happening to be controlling Sharla at the time to try and build up her affection. I kept getting aggroed by either Xord or the adds and ended up wasting heals on myself and then wasting Party Gauge reviving party members instead of using Chain attack to break and topple Xord.

It's super weird but the AI really really REALLY sucks when controlling Reyn and will lose aggro frequently for long amounts of time, but the AI is really good at using Sharla to sleep the adds and toss cures, shields and heals at the right moment.

Also the AI sometimes sucks when controlling Shulk and will take it's jolly darn time to use Monado Enchant.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it is; I feel fortunate that I knew nothing at all when I originally played the game. That was a pretty well done twist.

I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles does about as good of a job as a JRPG can do while incorporating a bunch of completely nuts plot elements. Stuff generally makes plenty of sense given what they tell you.

The thing with Xeno twists is that they generally don't come out of nowhere and there is foreshadowing or details that you may miss on a first playthrough, which is a good encouragement for a second playthrough. In the case of the Faced Mechons you get a very subtle clue the first time you meet Metal Face when Shulk comments that he can't cut him and he has a strange glow around him, which is the same thing that happened when Reyn lost control of the Monado and almost cut Fiora . On an entirely blind playthrough that detail would have sailed right past above my head, but well, Sakurai :argh:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 2, 2020

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Quick question since idk what Definitive Edition has done but if you do all the sidequests do you absolutely obliterate the last boss still or did they do anything to fix that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can turn on expert mode and manually set what level you'd like characters to be, but other than that probably not.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MotU posted:

Quick question since idk what Definitive Edition has done but if you do all the sidequests do you absolutely obliterate the last boss still or did they do anything to fix that?
Expert Mode and the quest tracking combined makes it super easy to both do all side quests and keep yourself at a sane level. It's great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Read about the police war, stress out.
Play Xenoblade, chill out.

What a weird few days it's been.

I think I'm done w/ Gaur Plains now. No more quests to be found here or in Colony 9. Just have 3 quests that I can't do at the moment. I know the advice to not do everything but it's actually helping and I like the wandering around exploring.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Been playing the Definitive Edition and I'm super happy I waited for this :kimchi: Game owns so far.

I heard there were a ton of sidequests but even then I wasn't prepared for just how many there are. I take it you're supposed to go back to old areas from time to time to pick up new quests? I've been exploring the Gaur Plains so I hadn't been in Colony 9 for a while, but I went back there to buy the skill books I missed and to my surprise there were like 40 new sidequests :v:

Terper posted:

Expert Mode and the quest tracking combined makes it super easy to both do all side quests and keep yourself at a sane level. It's great.
I've been wondering about this - is there a way to tell what level you "should" be at?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Been playing the Definitive Edition and I'm super happy I waited for this :kimchi: Game owns so far.

I heard there were a ton of sidequests but even then I wasn't prepared for just how many there are. I take it you're supposed to go back to old areas from time to time to pick up new quests? I've been exploring the Gaur Plains so I hadn't been in Colony 9 for a while, but I went back there to buy the skill books I missed and to my surprise there were like 40 new sidequests :v:

I've been wondering about this - is there a way to tell what level you "should" be at?

Whatever level the highest enemies* are in the zone you are in +2 levels is most bosses for the first half of the game.

*Excludes random level 80/90 wandering monster foes in these areas.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

After figuring it out, what I do is set my level to the average level of some of the first enemies I see in a zone and then turn expert mode back off.

I then gain xp as normal as I run around and quest and hunt up gear, etc. Then when I finish the story beat and enter a new zone, I adjust my level back down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
...Why not just leave Expert Mode on? As long as I'm not getting quest XP I've been pretty comfortably matching levels with the enemy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/KZXcellent/status/1267245780970201090

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Is there a good "Yo, if you're gonna let the AI play Dunban/Reyn/whoever doesn't suck under AI control, you should probably level up and equip these arts, because the AI sucks less at using them" guide for, well, that?

Seems like it'd be a nice thing to have. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to spend AP on these guys when I just want to let the computer play them most of the time. (Sharla was easy to set up because Sharla's job is very clear and only half the buttons available to her contribute well to that job.)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did Alvis always have the Zohar pendant?

I'd assume so because it's a Zohar shape in a Xeno game, but I didn't notice it the first time around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

I'd assume so because it's a Zohar shape in a Xeno game, but I didn't notice it the first time around.

He did not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Omobono posted:

IIRC he had a key pendant on the Wii and 3DS.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I had played this for a bit before but had always basically ignored the affinity chart and this is like Majora's Mask but bigger, this owns. There's been two quests already in Colony 9 where they give you a binary choice that isn't cut and dry what the "right" answer is. Game is good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That is really neat then.
It even has these four little metal bits going inwards that vaguely resemble the X shape Pyra carved out of her crystal to save Rex.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks y'all! On the topic of sidequests and affinity, I know questing gives affinity with the party, so is there some point where it's smarter to proceed the story before going back and doing sidequests? I've no idea how far into the game you get the other characters though (I just had Sharla join)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I thought I gave Sharla a nice, classy look. Then a cutscene starts and I realize her pants are assless! Why are you like this, game?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PantsBandit posted:

I thought I gave Sharla a nice, classy look. Then a cutscene starts and I realize her pants are assless! Why are you like this, game?

Same.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I tried to find something in the original but eventually I just stuck her in her starting gear and kept her in that until the end.

Bless fashion slots.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They could have increased the drop rate for quest items jeeze, not even MMOs do that poo poo now (mostly)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
BIIIIIG Endgame spoiler question; Did Fiora always have a combat-starting line about "electromagnetic tethers"? Because I feel that's... misplaced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Riki fucks.