Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ili posted:

The gently caress is a cool zone?

A period of history where it's fun to learn about but would be terrible to live through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All the cool countries are having one. Australian journos are reporting and the PM has ordered an investigation.

HatJudge posted:

While reporting live an australian news team getting beaten and chased from the church in DC before two-scoops had his photo op with a bible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkf-znzWKRc&feature=youtu.be

Scott Morrison (Aus PM) asks Washington embassy to investigate attack on Australian TV crew

It's extremely not cool.

E: The Australian news crew was being chased, beaten, shot with rubber bullets and tear gassed by cops, not protesters. Because that needs to be clarified.

It's a bakery selling menthol lammingtons.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 2, 2020

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

ili posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924960

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ili posted:

something i'm certain isaac would not approve of us discussing itt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah fair enough.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1248065386714558465

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Politics nos thattaway friend

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

as a proud nunga, I'm sick of this poo poo

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

apologies, but it's national reconciliation week, and combined with the protests in USA, I've been feeling kinda amped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXmREhYbiSk

also loving more than 400 have died in custody since the royal commission in 1991. no cops have been charged

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Just roasted a good looking chicken in some lemon and herbs it's fucken grouse. Even chucked in some brussels sprouts.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Constable bantam.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tace Vim posted:

apologies, but it's national reconciliation week, and combined with the protests in USA, I've been feeling kinda amped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXmREhYbiSk

also loving more than 400 have died in custody since the royal commission in 1991. no cops have been charged

Pretty sure you are not the person who should be apologising.

Shits hosed and I hope it gets better for you and yours.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

NPR Journalizard posted:

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

acab

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My social worker friend told me that just a few years ago the copper handbook said to treat all indigenous people as violent and dangerous immediately even before the actual assessment of the situation and the person, poo poo is really hosed

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sw0-2Tm6JU&t=3s

I saw my sister transform from a socially minded free thinking individual into a racist right wing nutjob while working at the Redfern cop shop in less than five years. ACAB.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

thanks, I hope it gets better for all of us

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

I saw my sister transform from a socially minded free thinking individual into a racist right wing nutjob while working at the Redfern cop shop in less than five years. ACAB.

all it took for my brother was about 2 years of the Joe Rogan Podcast

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

DumbparameciuM posted:

I saw my cousin transform from a racist fuckwit into an even more racist fuckwit after joining the police.

My favourite story of hers is the one where she and her partner roughed up the drunk guy as they tossed himin the divvy. The punchline was that he was actually mentally ill and not drunk at all! Isn't that hilarious?

:thunk:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

The armed forces are just as bad as cops tbh. When I worked at the startup there were two general managers when I was there, both ex army, both heinous racists, homophobes, and all round cunts. They created a toxic working environment because I stood up to them (on other stuff as well) and wouldn't have a bar of their poo poo.

The whole toxic and bullying situation got so bad I considered walking up behind one and jamming my work knife into the back of his skull on multiple occasions. Not that I'd do it,but there was some fairly visual daydreams. Partially those thoughts were what got me serious about therapy.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

McSpergin posted:

The armed forces are just as bad as cops tbh. When I worked at the startup there were two general managers when I was there, both ex army, both heinous racists, homophobes, and all round cunts. They created a toxic working environment because I stood up to them (on other stuff as well) and wouldn't have a bar of their poo poo.

The whole toxic and bullying situation got so bad I considered walking up behind one and jamming my work knife into the back of his skull on multiple occasions. Not that I'd do it,but there was some fairly visual daydreams. Partially those thoughts were what got me serious about therapy.

Very normal

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

NPR Journalizard posted:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm medically unfit to hold a firearm ever

I flunked out quick in the medical after qualifying for officer training in the armed forces and emergency services

I'm glad I found my calling and it's not a big in the machine of oppression

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the only dude i know who became a cop was the kid that was a little bit too into shooting games as a kid (we're talking double digit hours of call of duty / battlefield every weekend) and hosed his knee up so he couldn't be in the regular armed forces.

He was honestly a nice fellow but i'm sure he's become turbo racist by this point. Last i saw on facebook (about a half decade ago) he was stationed somewhere pretty remote and all his photos were in uniform looking ~ heroic ~

edit: also one of my mate's GF's sisters' had a boyfriend, later husband who was a cop. one of the most shy, defeated people i've met but had a facebook full of photos of him getting absolutely disgracefully shitfaced with other cops. so ... you know.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

I too saw a friend turn to the dark side. hes an ambo and basically fed up with people wasting the time and services of ambulance crews because they call an ambulance for anything at all, often times just some attention.

most of the people he is called to are either mental health issues, drug addicts or the elderly or a mix of all three. (given the area he works, it makes sense)

he takes the side of the cops a fair bit now.

On one hand, yeah people that dont actually need an ambulance and just need someone to talk to probably should just call lifeline or beyond blue or whatever rather than crying wolf by dialling 000 and saying they have 'chest pains' (which btw is the best way to get an ambulance at your door lickity split).

On the other, there is obviously a growing number of people who obviously need mental health services or other issues that are falling through the cracks.

probably not an easy thing to just fix as theres a lot of angles and layers to an issue like this.

i offer one of his best war stories as a penance for coming close to polchat:

he got called to a womans residence in the early hours of sunday morning. the woman complained of stomach pains. upon arriving he asked the woman if she had eaten anything or injured herself. checks her vitals etc.

she said 'Oh I havent done a poo poo in 6 days'

anyway they went to the hospital in the ambo. as hes about to leave, the nurse comes running calling his name. Sometimes this is just because the patient might have given him something, or hes taken off jewelery to perform procedures or they just want to thank him.

'the patient wants to see you briefly before you go' the nurse says. my mate goes to the patients room and finds her with her hands against the wall, hospital gown open and her legs apart.

the patient then asks him to 'reach in and pull out the poo' because she couldnt push it out and he had 'got her this far'

he respectfully declined.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
just gave state and federal members a spray.
both staffers were named jody.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

I'm medically unfit to hold a firearm ever

I flunked out quick in the medical after qualifying for officer training in the armed forces and emergency services

I'm glad I found my calling and it's not a big in the machine of oppression

I tried to join the cops when I was 19 and aimless. Passed the initial written exam but I'm really colourblind, for which I am eternally grateful.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I wanted to be a cop in high school and while I doubt I'd ever have made it past the first step anyway I got done for fencing stolen jewelry for weed money so uh yeah that didn't happen

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My cousin was a cop and was always a whiny little bitch about it. He deleted me off face book after he asked my mum to ask me to take down a ACAB picture after I posted it.

Bloke has a hero complex and is now a firie. He also lost a finger to a lawn mower so I wouldn't trust him handling a more threatening situation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think we have a slightly higher barrier to entry here for the cops than we do in the states but its still pretty alarming how bad they are.

I think allowing people with tattoos to become cops is when we started getting a lot more of the ex-bouncer types becoming cops so they can take their vaguely legal bashing of people full time with better benefits than being a seccy on contract.

I have no issue with tatts fwiw, but more often than not cops with poo poo tatts are assholes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don't mean to minimise the incredible amount of work cops in Australia put into systematically oppressing brown people but I think having police standards at a local gov level is a big part of why American cops have a rep for being hirable no matter how utterly incompetent and viciously racist they might be.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Isn't every nearly every cop in the US funded and trained by whatever small area they're in? No wonder it's a cluster gently caress.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dont like this discussion one bit

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I had to remove shortcuts to Twitter and insta off my phone browser cos I kept looking and getting angrier so instead I got onto the meme thread lmao

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I try and keep my instagram as just friends and videos of people hurting themselves and pretty wildlife pictures so it can be a social media drip feed of escapism but now I cant even use it for that.

Its cool and good that we are using these late stage capitalism platforms for social good but also christ it would be nice to have somewhere to turn for relief from the hell that is modern media.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Isaac posted:

I dont like this discussion one bit

The thread will go chill again

Sometimes the outside world breaks in for a bit

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpergin posted:

I had to remove shortcuts to Twitter and insta off my phone browser cos I kept looking and getting angrier so instead I got onto the meme thread lmao

i've never had a twitter account or app but i do follow a lot of comedians on insta so mostly my feed is just black today. seems ok to me.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

the world outside is frightening as hell right now and there's only so much sourdough baking to distract from that. I'd say this thread is a better place to let off a little acab steam than anywhere else on the site.

That said I went along to a cop information night last year. I'm not proud, but I was unemployed and desperate and would land at a higher paygrade with a law degree. Seemed like that was the only category of attendees other than literal child with hero complex.

I think there are good motions in place to improve policing and the quality of police themselves, at least at a community level in SA, but it's still an inherently oppressive and fundamentally racist structure we have in place so yeah no dispute that it probably would have been a poo poo move for me to take unless I could get out again within a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Prolly Gunna organise something of a bugout bag

Just a duffle bag with copies of important documents, spare change of clothes for misso and I and first aid kit.

Any suggestions for other things?