Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mind giving me a bit of the Pros and Cons of it?

I'm just giving you the consensus opinion, I don't actually know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So for Empire, Darth Mod is better than Imperial Splendor?

The best mod for Empire is Napoleon, no question. Any particular reason you want to stick with Empire over Napoleon?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

McTimmy posted:

Pearls require more help than the other Dragons to function since you need to raise their Evasion with the Sentinel buff and a Bodyguard follower. Once they crack 100% evade you can just laugh nearly everything in melee off.

Hmm I'm gonna have to try that because like they other poster they seem to be underperforming for me. I thought their niche was that they're cool kung-fu monks that can slash arrows out of the air with their glaives but that hasn't been the case so far.

Luckily their tech tree slot also unlocks Imperial sword guards once you hit emperor status, and those dudes can do some loving work.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I ended up just doubling on the Imp Sword Guards and they slap. I tried a Yan Baihu campaign but didn't really click with the Banditry mechanic, I think I need to give it another go. Opted to try Cao Cao instead!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, the Imperial Swords do a lot of "tier damage" to the Pearls since the Swordsmen can also get 100% Evade, and have a much better statline overall so the only thing the Pearls will have are being glaives.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Just finished a Tao Qian campaign on VH/H, and I have to say, easier than I expected. I got very lucky earlier on, though - Cao Cao was already embroiled in a full-on, drag-out fight with Liu Chong when the inevitable war over his dumb dead dad broke out with him. I expect things would be a little tougher were I to start a new campaign. But I didn't really notice the downsides of his "displaced population" mechanic; just build farms like crazy, and it's easy-peasy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Krazyface posted:

-Your daimyo's Honour stat has a big impact on the loyalty of the other generals, and will even give you a faction-wide public order buff if you get it high enough. Try to keep it maxed out, and NEVER do anything that compromises it (like sacking a town, betraying an ally, or converting to Christianity). If you absolutely have to do one of those things, consider letting him die in battle immediately afterwards, so his honourable son can take over.

This is actually the worst part of Shogun 2 and i'm pretty glad its not in any other game since then.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Yeah, the Imperial Swords do a lot of "tier damage" to the Pearls since the Swordsmen can also get 100% Evade, and have a much better statline overall so the only thing the Pearls will have are being glaives.

I last played before Imperial units came out, but I remember elite axemen that can get charge reflect with the right formations were pretty drat versatile and powerful.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

dogstile posted:

This is actually the worst part of Shogun 2 and i'm pretty glad its not in any other game since then.
I think Dark Elves do something similar in Warhams2 (faction leader must be highest level or generals take loyalty penalties)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

dogstile posted:

I mean fair enough, but I'll reiterate that it's quite possible to get a Daimyo up to +12 honor, and you only benefit from +6, so there's a lot of room for dishonorable actions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Captain Beans posted:

The best mod for Empire is Napoleon, no question. Any particular reason you want to stick with Empire over Napoleon?

I haven’t played either in like 9 years. I thought it was agreed that after the bug and balance fixing that Empire was the deeper and better game?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ravenfood posted:

I last played before Imperial units came out, but I remember elite axemen that can get charge reflect with the right formations were pretty drat versatile and powerful.

Yeah Yellow Dragons are still pretty beastly, especially against enemies with shields. Their slot on the tech tree also gets you Imperial household cavalry, which like all sword cav are pretty meh but they look cool at least.

On that note I like how they made Imperial units available for everyone, but in a lot of cases they seems kinda redundant with what's already there. Cataphracts, Jade Dragons, and Imperial lancers all pretty much fill the exact same niche at different price points, and Imperial glaive guards and Protectors of Heaven seem pretty much identical too. Imperial units get sweet cloaks though.

Tbf I guess this kind of comes with the territory of being a historical TW game where there's only so many combinations of regular humans with various horses and sharp things to stab people with, but Pearls and Azure Dragons manage to fill a unique niche so :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kaal posted:

I mean fair enough, but I'll reiterate that it's quite possible to get a Daimyo up to +12 honor, and you only benefit from +6, so there's a lot of room for dishonorable actions.

I mean there's room for it but what it actually ends up meaning is you typically just never take a dishonourable action until you're above 6, whereas sacking a town and destroying the infrastructure is usually enough to make me not sack everything forever.

lurksion posted:

I think Dark Elves do something similar in Warhams2 (faction leader must be highest level or generals take loyalty penalties)

Honestly with the way lords work in WH that's pretty much never an issue anyway. Your main lord is probably going to be level 40 before a secondary one is much higher than 20.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Are there any stand out cosmetic mods for the generic generals? I use MTU and some other in-game mod overhauls, but the boring nameless generals are bug me a bit. I don't use them much if I can help it. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Looks like total war troy will be free for the first 24 hours of release, then an epic store exclusive for a year.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tot...03n7w8KH01AXBgg

Better keep an eye out and grab it while its free

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A total war game without modding support feels like a bad idea.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It'll probably be moddable, just not via Steam Workshop. I'm actually pretty excited, I've got no problem with the Epic launcher and getting it for free? Hell yeah.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What in tarnation

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yikes.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

gently caress. This better not be an ongoing trend.

The Epic Launcher is complete garbage. Buggy, no shopping cart, and every time I've ever tried to actually buy something on it, the purchase fails with "unable to complete purchase try again later". It's literally the worst gaming platform out there. loving UPlay is more user friendly.

If they pull this poo poo with Warhammer 3 I'll be livid.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I don't see how they'd make WH3 an epic games exclusive, it'll need to detect WH1 and WH2 for you to get the new ME map or w/e they'll call it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's free though, and only for a year, i.e. the worst time to play any Total War game? If you don't like it, just wait and you'll get a patched, Workshop enabled and likely DLC supported game in a year, and CA makes more money than if they just released on Steam because Epic's bribes are incredible. Just call it a more profitable Early Access, it's a win-win for everyone involved.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's free though, and only for a year, i.e. the worst time to play any Total War game? If you don't like it, just wait and you'll get a patched, Workshop enabled and likely DLC supported game in a year, and CA makes more money than if they just released on Steam because Epic's bribes are incredible. Just call it a more profitable Early Access, it's a win-win for everyone involved.

I mean it's not a win-win for anyone who wanted to play it within the next year on a functional platform? I just really get annoyed that Epic keeps pushing these year long exclusivity deals to force you to use such a terrible piece of software and seem to have no desire to actually give it basic features to make it functional. Again, it's a bit less of a deal for a smaller one like this, but if they did it for one of their flagship titles that would really loving suck.

And most recent Total War games have been perfectly fun in their first year. Both Warhammers, Three Kingdoms, etc... Rome 2 and Thrones were the outliers.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I expect more of ThroB than 3K from Troy. Still, it will probably be the game for which I'll get Epic, unless someone checks the game and says it's hot garbage.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It'll probably be released on a Thursday. That's when Epic has been doing their releases.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean it's not a win-win for anyone who wanted to play it within the next year on a functional platform?

The only thing you're missing out on is time, for a game that doesn't even have a release date yet. Plus, while both Warhammers were fine at launch, they got way better with all the added races, whether or not you bought the DLC.

If it was a multiplayer-centric game then sure, it'd suck to have populations either split or having the population be next to nothing by Steam launch, but unless you're one of the weirdos that are really into multiplayer siege battles, it's singleplayer. Waiting a year for Metro Exodus and getting it, plus all of the DLC content at once was a pretty good deal, this is much the same. Either have patience, or download some mediocre software to get a whole rear end game for free. :shrug:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kaal posted:

It'll probably be released on a Thursday. That's when Epic has been doing their releases.

13th of August.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The only thing you're missing out on is time, for a game that doesn't even have a release date yet. Plus, while both Warhammers were fine at launch, they got way better with all the added races, whether or not you bought the DLC.

If it was a multiplayer-centric game then sure, it'd suck to have populations either split or having the population be next to nothing by Steam launch, but unless you're one of the weirdos that are really into multiplayer siege battles, it's singleplayer. Waiting a year for Metro Exodus and getting it, plus all of the DLC content at once was a pretty good deal, this is much the same. Either have patience, or download some mediocre software to get a whole rear end game for free. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZR3DGFwehw
August 13

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice, trailer drop. Loving the dumb makeup.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ew, what a dumb decision. I was really looking forward to this and it's a shame it's release date is in 2021 for me. I loathe Epic, what they are trying to do, and how they are obviously just bribing devs to use their horrible anti consumer platform.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nothing says anticonsumer like free stuff

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The epic store is fine, and free is fantastic so this is good for me. CA is probably worried Troy will turn out to be a ThroB situation where it's only modestly successful so they're taking some guaranteed cash instead

If it DOES turn out like ThroB then we wont see any DLC for it though

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
boohoo, i don't like this completely contingent and meaningless storefront cause they're not consumer friendly enough. i hate it, unlike this other storefront that also hates its users and is doing its best to gently caress the entire gaming industry.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

At least they're being forthright about the decision and the time table. Somehow basically no one else does that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has there even been any gameplay footage of Troy released?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has there even been any gameplay footage of Troy released?

There will be this weekend at the latest.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"We currently have no plans to support cross-platform play between the Epic Games Store and Steam copies of A Total War Saga: TROY."

lmao, multiplayer will be DoA and if not then 100% when the Steam version drops.

"Yes, we are planning on using Denuvo for DRM purposes."

"Currently, the Epic Games Store does not support mods. However, it is on Epic’s roadmap."

Gee wiz, I wonder why they're giving it away for free for 24 hours at launch.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Total War without the workshop to keep mods updated automatically sounds pretty nightmarish.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You can mod games that are on the Epic Games Store. Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is a good example of that. You just don't have a Steam Workshop equivalent. At the very least, it's not the Microsoft Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Whelp seems like I am skipping Troy then, was looking forward to it as well :\