Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

JustaDamnFool posted:

What would be a good word for what they're going for? Cathartic? Compelling?

fart huffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

i agree that its really just indies that manage it currently but that doesnt mean i dont think anyone else should try. the argument at this point is way beyond tlou2 specifically because ive said multiple times i have no idea if it will do anything, but people have started posting that games as a whole shouldnt bother which is inane to me.

Why though? What's wrong with a game just being a game

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

JustaDamnFool posted:

What would be a good word for what they're going for? Cathartic? Compelling?

"Commerically successful"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

fridge corn posted:

That works both ways you know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The last AAA game I played was the FF7R remake and I enjoyed it a lot but at the same time I wish they’d explored some of the AVALANCHE stuff a little deeper because there is a lot to mine out of a game where you’re playing as straight up terrorists

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

why does it have to be one or the other, why cant you have games that are just games and games that try and do other stuff. is disco elysium bad for trying to be more narratively complex than tetris. is getting over it a bad game for purposefully controlling in a frustrating way. is deadly premonition entirely without value because the mechanics are the worst thing anyone has ever made.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

is deadly premonition entirely without value because the mechanics are the worst thing anyone has ever made.

That's pretty harsh, the mechanics are only like the third worst thing anyone has ever made

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

That's pretty harsh, the mechanics are only like the third worst thing anyone has ever made

depends if we're talking the original release or the "fixed" version

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

why does it have to be one or the other, why cant you have games that are just games and games that try and do other stuff. is disco elysium bad for trying to be more narratively complex than tetris. is getting over it a bad game for purposefully controlling in a frustrating way. is deadly premonition entirely without value because the mechanics are the worst thing anyone has ever made.

Ive not played any of those games so I can't comment unfortunately

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Starks posted:

It’s already pissing people off more just by having a girl who works out as a character. Just look at the subreddit (or don’t. Maybe don’t.)

NeverGoOnReddit.mpg

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

"fun" and "entertaining" aren't really terms you should use to describe something like TLOU2 or any AAA game really. Ultimately it's a product that needs to be profitable to a certain degree so a better term is "appeal". No AAA game will reduce it's appeal if only because it has to turn a profit and TLOU2 is no different. You will only ever see games that aren't "fun" or "entertaining" in the indie space because of capitalism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cnidaria posted:

"fun" and "entertaining" aren't really terms you should use to describe something like TLOU2 or any AAA game really. Ultimately it's a product that needs to be profitable to a certain degree so a better term is "appeal". No AAA game will reduce it's appeal if only because it has to turn a profit and TLOU2 is no different. You will only ever see games that aren't "fun" or "entertaining" in the indie space because of capitalism.

On the other hand Platinum Games exists and they are basically the definition of "reduce appeal to increase fun and entertainment."

There's also specific game developers who get AAA budgets but work to make games that are not mass appeal, such as Yoko Taro. Even Hideo Kojima's latest game is weird insane bullshit involving magic babies where the primary game mechanics are being a deliveryman.

Likewise Indie games are just as prone to being focused on appealing. I'd argue well over 80% are desperate attempts to ride the coattails of something more popular in order to turn a profit and that's an optimistic outcome. If anything I'd argue the indie market is currently more prone to the excesses of capitalism because it is so easily abused. We hold up the best of the best from indie developers but ignore that for every one impressive title there are fifty lovely things you have to ignore on the Steam store.

Capitalism is indeed a cancer upon the world but acting like it's split between AAA developers and Indie developers is basically falling into the fallacy of assuming that 'small' = purer somehow.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 30, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cnidaria posted:

theres plenty of AAA games that are fun and entertaining?? what does this post even mean, its not about capitalism or products its about media and its aims. its a valid aim for a piece of media to be fun and entertaining. its an equally valid aim for a piece of media to do things that arent fun and arent entertaining and still have worth. what youre talking about is an entirely seperate thing to the tone and texture of something.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Buying 7 days to die is praxis

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

CharlestonJew posted:

can you imagine if that game's ending leaked before release
It did. Twice, iirc, with an earlier version of the ending being leaked ages before the game came out, then the actual ending leaked a week or so beforehand.

I remember this because I took one look at it and canceled my pre-order because it was exactly the sort of thing I didn't want.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Last Of Us 2: One Hot Dog With Extra Ketchup

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand Platinum Games exists and they are basically the definition of "reduce appeal to increase fun and entertainment."

There's also specific game developers who get AAA budgets but work to make games that are not mass appeal, such as Yoko Taro. Even Hideo Kojima's latest game is weird insane bullshit involving magic babies where the primary game mechanics are being a deliveryman.

Likewise Indie games are just as prone to being focused on appealing. I'd argue well over 80% are desperate attempts to ride the coattails of something more popular in order to turn a profit and that's an optimistic outcome. If anything I'd argue the indie market is currently more prone to the excesses of capitalism because it is so easily abused. We hold up the best of the best from indie developers but ignore that for every one impressive title there are fifty lovely things you have to ignore on the Steam store.

Capitalism is indeed a cancer upon the world but acting like it's split between AAA developers and Indie developers is basically falling into the fallacy of assuming that 'small' = purer somehow.

All this is true. And to add to it: Mass appeal is largely a myth of conservative, investment protecting, no one got fired for buying IBM, MBA-type marketing and production executives and developers. Nier Automata and Death Stranding both sold really well! Dark Souls sold so well that it created a new genre of games and imitators that people who think in terms of “mass appeal” could feel comfortable green lighting. Mass appeal got us the infinite profitability of FIFA or Madden but it also got us many of the high profile flops like Mass Effect Andromeda or Assassins Creed Unity.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ac unity is a very strange example there.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Ac unity is a very strange example there.

How come?

Here’s my case for it: the game was so mediocre and full of bugs that it resulted in an apology from Ubisoft.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

doingitwrong posted:

How come?

Here’s my case for it: the game was so mediocre and full of bugs that it resulted in an apology from Ubisoft.

I tried giving it a fair shake for the first time in 2020. It loving sucked.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I thought AC Unity still sold very well

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 2, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Maybe. It’s from the franchise era of games where sales are mostly a reflection of sentiment about the previous game’s quality since it’s all so pre-order based and most sales happened in the first week or so after launch. Wikipedia doesn’t break out Rogue vs Syndicate sales but puts them at 10 million combined. Black flag sold 15 million. Syndicate sold less and Ubi blamed that on the Unity release. All this set in motion the end of annual release cycle and a reboot of the series’ gameplay.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

Maybe. It’s from the franchise era of games where sales are mostly a reflection of sentiment about the previous game’s quality since it’s all so pre-order based and most sales happened in the first week or so after launch. Wikipedia doesn’t break out Rogue vs Syndicate sales but puts them at 10 million combined. Black flag sold 15 million. Syndicate sold less and Ubi blamed that on the Unity release. All this set in motion the end of annual release cycle and a reboot of the series’ gameplay.

I'm not sure releases in 2017 2018 and 2020 with 3 spin off games in 2016 qualify as "the end of the annual release cycle". :v: (although to be fair Valhalla might get delayed)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The issue isn't that AAA single-player games like Death Stranding or Assassin's Creed can't sell well, it's a question of scale. EA could lose every single licensed franchise it has besides FIFA and still profit $700 mil a year from cards, and it can keep churning out a new game every year. Large single-player projects usually don't have that kind of microtransaction tail attached, or if they do, it's nowhere near FIFA levels of grift. Star Wars Battlefront II, a huge pariah that even got national media attention for having such blatant P2W mechanics only sold... 9 million copies, about the same as critically acclaimed God of War did in the same year. You also presumably need stuff like writers and time to come up with new ideas, characters, gameplay mechanics etc. which all have a labor cost. In the last few years we've seen a general trend towards first-party studios only having the development time and budget to put out maybe 1-2 AAA projects over the entire console generation, which I would expect to continue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ac is probably the only single player franchise that can give some mp titles a run for their money when it comes to microtransaction grift

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The only AC i have enjoyed was the pirate one i legit can't understand how people enjoy that series. The same with uncharted i tried the first one and i just couldn't finish it

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the first uncharted is the worst one and arguably, just a bad game all around. The rest are great though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I played Unchartered 4 first, and was kinda impressed by it. So I played the other three, and I hated the first, not really liked the second (allthough many say it's the best), was kinda meh with the third and then played the fourth again, and enjoyed it. Haven't played the spin off.

3 and 4 I'd play again if my backlog wouldn't be what it is, 1 only when I'd be forced to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay-wise, Uncharted 4 is a serious leap above the rest of its series. Everything about it feels better to play and the expanded stealth options are a nice touch. It's kinda hard to go back to the previous ones after that.

I really like the Uncharted series but I don't think I'll ever play the first one again.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
imho uncharted 4 might be the most impressive action adventure game i've played

1-3 aged quite badly

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man, timing for this game's release couldn't have been more inauspicious. I'd be surprised if many people have an appetite for "grounded" depictions of violence after everything they've seen over the past week.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

am0kgonzo posted:

imho uncharted 4 might be the most impressive action adventure game i've played

1-3 aged quite badly

I argue 2 still holds up pretty well. 1 and 3 definitely show their age.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mokinokaro posted:

I argue 2 still holds up pretty well. 1 and 3 definitely show their age.
The Chip Cheezum LPs still hold up well; I feel like the highs in 3 are still really good and as always point out that the one thing that disappointed me with 4 was no Cutter (but get that Graham McTavish is a busy guy)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zeta Acosta posted:

The only AC i have enjoyed was the pirate one i legit can't understand how people enjoy that series. The same with uncharted i tried the first one and i just couldn't finish it

well at least with Origins you can feel that someone really loved Egypt, it looks and sounds so good

if you just skip all cutscenes you miss nothing and can quickly go back to riding through the different biomes and marvel at vistas

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Man, timing for this game's release couldn't have been more inauspicious. I'd be surprised if many people have an appetite for "grounded" depictions of violence after everything they've seen over the past week.

I do wonder how the people avoiding spoilers are going to react. Because who knows! They could be expecting something so far outside the realm of possible if they’ve really kept all the leaks away from their ears. They hear people balk and just go “ah its just people complaining” and keep preserving their surprise...We are missing some content and context, but there is definitely a narrowing of possible directions by what the footage suggests... I looked because I wasn’t in the mood to keep it secret for my own play-through. Glad I didn’t and I get gladder every week this year so far.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 8, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

doingitwrong posted:

How come?

Why does mass appeal equal full of bugs was my meaning.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview?amp

Drukman is on huffing fart mode x1000 and the story really is "violence is bad"

5 burned dogs out of 5

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview?amp

Drukman is on huffing fart mode x1000 and the story really is "violence is bad"

5 burned dogs out of 5

That GQ article posted:

The attention to detail is staggering. Druckmann shows me a new gore system that realistically renders dripping and pooling blood, which a developer created proactively in their spare time.

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

making the violence visceral and upsetting is how you make the violence bad. sanitising it is how other games make what would otherwise be pretty awful violence fun and "enjoyable"

marvel films have a lot of violence but its depicted in a clean manner to make it fit the tone and make sense in a light hearted movie, it wouldnt be making the violence seem better if it was more realistically depicted and most films that do do that are not doing it because violence good. even slashery films or gorey films where the violence is entertainment still avoid actual realism for hyperrealism and mute the emotional impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

making the violence visceral and upsetting is how you make the violence bad. sanitising it is how other games make what would otherwise be pretty awful violence fun and "enjoyable"

marvel films have a lot of violence but its depicted in a clean manner to make it fit the tone and make sense in a light hearted movie, it wouldnt be making the violence seem better if it was more realistically depicted and most films that do do that are not doing it because violence good. even slashery films or gorey films where the violence is entertainment still avoid actual realism for hyperrealism and mute the emotional impact.

there's something you keep missing about people's complaints, but I don't really know what it is. it sounds bad, dude, I don't need to read this same argument from you every two or three pages