Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is the new speaker allowing this vote on ending remote voting go ahead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so they did publish the report after the leak they weren't going to?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1267783989881954304?s=20

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think the most important thing is try and build a routine - nothing over demanding: personal care (diet, exercise, hygiene), home environment (washing up, cleaning), mental health (read a book - something lightweight, connect with friend or family or even a stranger, take a break from news)
I've found having a routine helpful. Previously whenever I got stuck inside, I turned into a capital-G Gamer or compulsive social media refresher; stopping that at the moment by having a schedule of stuff to do a little of each day even if feeling a bit poo poo, just so I can have a checklist of ways in which progress is still happening somewhere. Also mostly avoiding news, it's generally lovely and doesn't help. I'm probably talking with friends actually more (Discord, phone etc) since we're all stuck around.

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately for me I'm exceedingly comfortable with my own company so I've been well equipped for the long hours alone. I'm learning Russian with Duolingo,
Curious to know - what's it like to learn? Been meaning to look at some other language, and there's a shitload of academic stuff just in Russian that could be interesting to dig into in future

oh my

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jose posted:

so they did publish the report after the leak they weren't going to?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1267783989881954304?s=20

How is "other" so high in this report? Assuming people of Chinese/Japanese origin are being grouped under "Asian" (which is always a tricky subject in this country), you've got white, black (which presumably covers African and Caribbean heritages), Asian, and mixed races, I'm struggling to see a fifth category that can account for more deaths.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mute or unfollow FB friends (or even 'unfriend' though as I had a major cull a couple of years ago, I don't do that often these days). I know some have done the same to me because I have some friends who only want to see 'happy' posts or 'the govt needs our support in this trying time' views - I do make an effort to sprinkle happy posts in, but also do 'news' posts because I know I have a fair proportion of friends and family who just believe the BBC and either The Times or The Graun and who think they are honourable and trustworthy. Most of the time I avoid making overt political posts because you end up preaching to the converted and p'ing everyone else off.

I'm in the process of winding down my Facebook, I've realised that I'm scrolling scrolling scrolling, very little interesting content, boomer memes (well-meaning, I'm not friends with any really terrible boomers), I'm making sure I have contact details for people I actually care about (so we can keep talking on WhatsApp, take that Facebook!), then it's off to deactivationville.

The only positive thing I've seen recently is people whose politics I didn't know, sharing good and correct things. That always makes me smile.

Now I'm shopping for Dyson knockoff stick vacuum cleaners. It's all go today!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

How is "other" so high in this report? Assuming people of Chinese/Japanese origin are being grouped under "Asian" (which is always a tricky subject in this country), you've got white, black (which presumably covers African and Caribbean heritages), Asian, and mixed races, I'm struggling to see a fifth category that can account for more deaths.

Deep in the Appendices there's an explanation that Arabic people go in 'Other' so I imagine that's a large part of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

| would guess perhaps a lot of europeans might write their nationality in?

E: Or that ^

I guess it says something about me that I haven't really noticed any change in my mental health at all and my biggest complaint is I can't go to the beach during the lovely sunshine.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 2, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jose posted:

The Speaker's job is to facilitate parliamentary business. There's a motion, it's been properly moved, now you have a vote. There's no convention dating back to 1604 about "if ye plague be in ye streetes, the Speaker of the Commons maie doo whatever ye gently caress he wantf to".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CGI Stardust posted:

I've found having a routine helpful. Previously whenever I got stuck inside, I turned into a capital-G Gamer or compulsive social media refresher; stopping that at the moment by having a schedule of stuff to do a little of each day even if feeling a bit poo poo, just so I can have a checklist of ways in which progress is still happening somewhere. Also mostly avoiding news, it's generally lovely and doesn't help. I'm probably talking with friends actually more (Discord, phone etc) since we're all stuck around.

Curious to know - what's it like to learn? Been meaning to look at some other language, and there's a shitload of academic stuff just in Russian that could be interesting to dig into in future

oh my

It's not easy. It took a couple weeks (could've been more, time no longer makes sense) just to wrap my head around the alphabet. And I don't really think Duolingo is the best way to learn grammar so I'll probably need to get a textbook at some point. I've been enjoying Alex Navarro's lockdown Euro Truck Simulator streams because he ofte puts on Russian language radio which is surprisingly helpful.

Trying to think of an example that catches me out. Любит is like but some times it's люблю and hosed if I can work out which should be used when.

That said, I've been doing it for 3 months and I'm only doing 15-30 minutes a day and I was shite at languages in school and I certainly can sense improvement. So I guess it's no harder than any other language really, once you wrap your head around the alphabet. Easier than learning a load of Kanji or whatever. And it is surprising me how satisfying it has been.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

EvilHawk posted:

quote:

The Other ethnic group also had higher mortality rates from both all causes and COVID-19 than the White group. The rates in the Other ethnic group are likely to be an overestimate due to the difference in the source of allocating ethnicity codes to the mortality data and the population data used to calculate the rates. This may explain the high mortality rates in the Other group, which cannot be interpreted and requires further investigation.

pp46

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've also ordered this, which ticks a lot of boxes for me - those wooden mechanical model kits are satisfying as hell to put together, it's a weird musical instrument, and if I get it really badly wrong I can just burn the fucker.

Hi Hurdy Gurdy buddy :hfive:, it is fun to build and nice to have a project that does not involve a screen. I also have the train to build once I am done with this one, which includes 2m of track. My fiancee was not aware of this when she allowed me to purchase it.

The hurdy gurdy is a cool instrument and I wish real ones were not so expensive. The Ugears one is playable but it sounds... interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3u3H3JxCE
It is, however, nice to see that Julian Assange has a new hobby.

While I have been on furlough I have been trying to continue making some CG things, I did have big plans to put a new piece of art on Instagram every day during lockdown but gently caress that. I make two or three things a week and have been keeping them to myself. I need a nice overcast day so I can start doing some photogrammetry in the garden. When I get to building the model train I think I am also going to recreate all of the pieces in CG and blow it up or something. My fiancee still having to work from home helps a lot, it has helped keep a routine and stopped me from just staying in bed all day like I sometimes want to.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

"extrovert" and "introvert" were invented by Myers-Briggs to sell more personality tests, don't believe the hype.

It seems to be one of the ideas that had even a little merit. Some people really need other people to feel alive. Others end up utterly worn out after social contact and want nothing more than to be alone with a book. And anecdotally there seems to be little middle ground.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

floofyscorp posted:

Deep in the Appendices there's an explanation that Arabic people go in 'Other' so I imagine that's a large part of it.

OwlFancier posted:

| would guess perhaps a lot of europeans might write their nationality in?

E: Or that ^

I guess it says something about me that I haven't really noticed any change in my mental health at all and my biggest complaint is I can't go to the beach during the lovely sunshine.

Makes sense, I couldn't read the report so thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

It seems to be one of the ideas that had even a little merit. Some people really need other people to feel alive. Others end up utterly worn out after social contact and want nothing more than to be alone with a book. And anecdotally there seems to be little middle ground.

The way I always look at it is "is socializing something you put effort into to get something out of, or is it something you do to wind down"

Is it a hobby or relaxation, basically?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

EvilHawk posted:

floofyscorp posted:

Also the 'Other Asian' category almost unbearably broad and includes groups like Pasifika who are extremely vulnerable.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 2, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I definitely think it's an idea with merit!

Eg years ago, a very good friend's fiance ran out on her stealing £5k in the process. It was just a couple of days before her birthday. She was majorly upset obviously. So I organized a little meal out - just 3 or 4 of us (because that's what I would have preferred). Some time later she said 'Why didn't you organize a big bash in the pub to cheer me up?'. Similarly, when I was having a bad time near a birthday, she said 'let's just go to the pub and have a drink' and she had fixed about 40 people to be there (because that's what she would want)! I hated it. I just wanted to retreat into a corner with 2 or 3 friends to be miserable in peace! I'm like a wild animal that just wants to retreat into a cave until I'm recovered.

My sister is constantly trying to get people together (not in a romantic way) because to her, the height of misery is to be on your own. She said to me her and her husband have agreed that when one dies, the other is to get on with finding another partner because they want the other one to 'be happy and not on their own'. Yikes! It takes me years to get over someone regardless of who broke it up! (I'm a firm believer in 'get totally over the old before on with the new' unlike some people I know who are 'finding the new' (aka cheating) while still hanging on to the old incase it doesn't work out with the new.)

I find big social events absolutely draining. I don't know what to say to people, there's only so much "and how do you know the bride" or "did you take the A45 or the B52 to get here" or "what do you do for a living" I can take! Extrovert friends on the other hand positively thrive at big social events and find flitting from group to group and having inane conversations gives them energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eTq8ErUOQ

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CGI Stardust posted:

oh my
Russian is really easy because 90% of the vocabulary is English words in a Russian accent, 5% are close enough that you can really easily mentally link them. The other 5% is gibberish to English speakers but who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.

E: for example house is дом - "Dom" like domicile. Bicycle is вепосиред or "velocipede". Radio is радио - "radio". It's all loving English lol

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 2, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

it'd be an unprecedented power grab to block it. like on what grounds could he do that.
the motions been laid, now parliament can vote it down if they don't like it. democracy!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hope those lines are 2m sideways or can the virus not move sideways?

https://twitter.com/JeffSmithetc/status/1267747799984222208?s=20

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1267788236665094145

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Except for that vote not so long ago when everybody was like why have so many Labour MPs abstained this is terrible and it turned out technical issues?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

floofyscorp posted:

Also Latin American/hispanic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

communism bitch posted:

E: for example house is дом - "Dom" like domicile. Bicycle is вепосиред or "velocipede". Radio is радио - "radio". It's all loving English lol

I think you'll find that's mostly Latin/Greek... :hist101:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

The other 5% is gibberish to English speakers but who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.
:anarchists:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

communism bitch posted:

who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.

Хлеб и воля

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I did russian at school it was good, and the alphabet is similar enough to Latin/Greek that i found it no problem

I also did german which is obviously very easy vocab wise (and imo the vocab is usually going to be enough in practice, who cares if you conjugate your verbs right or forget what gender beer is)

did Arabic for a module in first year and the alphabet (or abugida or whatever it is e: abjad, according to Wikipedia) wasn't too bad, apart from the lack of vowels, vocab was mostly alien but I think I coped Ik, but I absolutely could not get my head around the right-to-left thing. also can't remember any grammar so clearly that didn't sink in at all

doing Japanese on Duolingo atm and the vocab is again very unfamiliar, and the orthography is like a cruel practical joke, but from reading around I think the grammar is probably surprisingly straightforward which should hopefully help if I ever get far enough to actually get into it

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 2, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yikes! It takes me years to get over someone regardless of who broke it up! (I'm a firm believer in 'get totally over the old before on with the new' unlike some people I know who are 'finding the new' (aka cheating) while still hanging on to the old incase it doesn't work out with the new.)

My ex was like this, she just couldn't be alone at all. When we broke up she moved in with a friend, and then in with a new boyfriend after a while. To my knowledge she has never lived alone in her life (we moved in together when we were like 16-17)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hope those lines are 2m sideways or can the virus not move sideways?

https://twitter.com/JeffSmithetc/status/1267747799984222208?s=20

glad I'm not the only one with moron bosses and coworkers who are trying to kill me

e: is there anything actually stopping parliament doing away with 90% of its members and then ending elections?

and don't say convention

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

glad I'm not the only one with moron bosses and coworkers who are trying to kill me

e: is there anything actually stopping parliament doing away with 90% of its members and then ending elections?

and don't say convention

Isaac Asimov wrote a short story called Franchise:

quote:

Plot summary
In the future, the United States has converted to an "electronic democracy" where the computer Multivac selects a single person to answer a number of questions. Multivac will then use the answers and other data to determine what the results of an election would be, avoiding the need for an actual election to be held.

The story centers around Norman Muller of Bloomington, Indiana, the man chosen as "Voter of the Year" in the 2008 U.S. presidential election. Although the law requires him to accept the dubious honour, he is not sure that he wants the responsibility of representing the entire electorate, worrying that the result will be unfavorable and he will be blamed.

However, after "voting", he is very proud that the citizens of the United States had, through him, "exercised once again their free, untrammeled franchise" – a statement that is somewhat ironic as the citizens did not actually get to vote; even he himself did not vote for any candidate, law, or issue.

The idea of a computer predicting whom the electorate would vote for instead of actually holding an election was probably inspired by the UNIVAC I's correct prediction of the result of the U.S. presidential election in 1952.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/zubhaque/status/1267789896086945793?s=21

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jedit posted:

If all the things that I didn't think would happen right now, construction on the Hinckley C reactor sleeve has begun.

I did wonder what all the cranes were for

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

I did russian at school it was good, and the alphabet is similar enough to Latin/Greek that i found it no problem

I also did german which is obviously very easy vocab wise (and imo the vocab is usually going to be enough in practice, who cares if you conjugate your verbs right or forget what gender beer is)

did Arabic for a module in first year and the alphabet (or abugida or whatever it is e: abjad, according to Wikipedia) wasn't too bad, apart from the lack of vowels, vocab was mostly alien but I think I coped Ik, but I absolutely could not get my head around the right-to-left thing. also can't remember any grammar so clearly that didn't sink in at all

doing Japanese on Duolingo atm and the vocab is again very unfamiliar, and the orthography is like a cruel practical joke, but from reading around I think the grammar is probably surprisingly straightforward which should hopefully help if I ever get far enough to actually get into it

Funnily enough I found Arabic easier than Welsh! I've no problem with Arabic writing (as long as it's 'printed' not handwritten or calligraphy which I can have a hard time making out) and I like the grammatical structure which allows me to guess at some words. I think this is because my background with maths, music, physics lends me towards the symbolic. However, as you say, lack of the short vowels means if it is a word I don't know then I have no idea how to pronounce it.

The problem I find with Welsh is that the letters - vowels - have different sounds to the English so I have to get my head round assigning a different sound to the same symbol. But because I live in Wales and road signs etc are in both, and because I haven't really heard spoken Welsh (noone speaks it round here), I pronounce the Welsh words in my head with English sounds, so I have to shake all that out of my brain at some point. I can now recognize 'the imperative' - if a word ends with -wch it generally means you're being given an order!

I did start using Duolingo to try to brush up my various languages. I have French, German, Norwegian to approx GCSE standard with the advantage of having lived in Germany in my youth for a while, and I did French for 7 years because Welsh primary schools in the 60s had compulsory French - not Welsh! And I found that if I set Duolingo to treat Arabic as my native language, then I could find a passable English/Arabic top up. I've also tried using mnemosyne. I did find though that just a pile of random nouns and weird sentences (Duolingo has some extremely odd sentences) wasn't very helpful. I'm one of the saddos that enjoys grammar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wachter posted:

I did wonder what all the cranes were for

The first part of the sleeve weighs 170 tons and the crane shifting it is the tallest in the world, apparently. (I had a briefing with EDF today, they are very proud of it.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Kathrina_Mia/status/1267561198360371205?s=20

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I've seen a take on twitter in a few places that part of the anti Corbyn vitriol was due to his being perceived as a voice for BAME people and minorities, and the this made the racist commentariat middle classes very uncomfortable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So are they bringing another reactor online then?

Coohoolin posted:

I've seen a take on twitter in a few places that part of the anti Corbyn vitriol was due to his being perceived as a voice for BAME people and minorities, and the this made the racist commentariat middle classes very uncomfortable.

I don't think that's so much a twitter take as blindingly obvious, they were falling over themselves to poo poo on Abbott when she was shadow home sec.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It’s no surprise the Labour GRT group left either

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/smyth_chris/status/1267751018802171905?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012