Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Is this what the frog turned into when the princess kissed him? Poor guy never did really adjust, did he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Is this what the frog turned into when the princess kissed him? Poor guy never did really adjust, did he

I think he's just living the best of both lives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Why would he :confused:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao like a liquid man how they squish like tha

https://i.imgur.com/qP4qVa8.mp4

FUXKCkjdfg

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jesus christ I was not expecting that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bring back old gbs posted:

Thought this was about the fat pond guy before I scrolled down, lol

e: some actual content

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 2, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Jesus christ that snake though

https://twitter.com/DilW/status/1267169287560667141?s=09

naem
May 29, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

https://i.imgur.com/qP4qVa8.mp4

FUXKCkjdfg

was that a snake??

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Or some kind of forklift?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

naem posted:

was that a snake??

That was my penis sorry. It gets like that when I'm horny.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/griner/status/1267647744774156290

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

naem posted:

was that a snake??

Pretty sure that's a cat actually.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're the man now dog!

https://yourequarantinednowdog.ytmnd.com/

It's alive! :unsmith:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3_kUaYFJA

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

She didn't ask for his consent and he's had to deal with the consequences of that trauma

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

She didn't ask for his consent and he's had to deal with the consequences of that trauma

I read a book about this when I was a kid. The frog prince had a frog wife and a pond of tadpoles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know it is actually supposed to mean President Ireland but gots to laugh at his Twitter handle being "President In Real Life"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Beats @realpresidentIRL

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

muscles like this! posted:

I know it is actually supposed to mean President Ireland but gots to laugh at his Twitter handle being "President In Real Life"

Works a lot like

https://i.imgur.com/sj9xb0S.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uMOp8J7.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:unsmith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MfeSTbo.gifv
Her little bro

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Autism Car Wash
Actual autistic here. This sort-of thing hurts more than it helps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1267853999736336385

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

This is super awesome, I just hope he's paying them a decent wage. Lot of businesses take advantage of the disabled with poverty wages because they think "these guys don't know any better, they don't understand money".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So was it a snake or what

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mind the walrus posted:

Yup.

Otters know how to chill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTNk2oGrO8

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Even Spider-Man is joining in on the protests.
https://twitter.com/AnyaVolz/status/1267992611849228288?s=20

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is super awesome, I just hope he's paying them a decent wage. Lot of businesses take advantage of the disabled with poverty wages because they think "these guys don't know any better, they don't understand money".

They work at a carwash. There's almost no way they're being paid more than poverty wages.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Curb Your Enthusiasm S11E01 - The Autistic Carwash :jerry:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Can you explain more? This isn't skepticism. I'm just interested in your perspective.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I don't get that. These seem like people with fairly severe forms of autism, but that are still capable and happy to work at a car wash. I don't see the harm in it.

Is it a stigma thing? If someone is the more low-key, high-functioning type, which I would expect an autistic goon to be, no one is expecting them to work at this place.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yoshi Wins posted:

Can you explain more? This isn't skepticism. I'm just interested in your perspective.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I don't get that. These seem like people with fairly severe forms of autism, but that are still capable and happy to work at a car wash. I don't see the harm in it.

Is it a stigma thing? If someone is the more low-key, high-functioning type, which I would expect an autistic goon to be, no one is expecting them to work at this place.

There's a lot to unpack here, so if you're genuinely interested I ask you bear with me. The shortest tl;dr is that yes, it's a stigma thing. :words: ahead.

------------------------------

Your and most people's conception of autism is outdated. This comic is a full and very real explanation of how it can be to work within the outdated idea, and what the current understanding is. If you have the time, I suggest reading it:

The tl;dr is that autism as a spectrum is a radar graph of symptoms in varying levels of severity, not a bi-polar, linear spectrum. Labels like "high" or "low" functioning really don't apply.

Tl;dr
THIS:

NOT THIS:

---------------------

And please please don't try to tell me how your country or your psychiatrist disagrees. The amount of people playing catch-up to this 15 year-old refinement of Autism is loving depressing. In the last year I have personally met certified doctors who thought that a person could outgrow autism (they can't). I hear horror stories daily about practitioners who refuse to classify someone clearly autistic as autistic unless they are absolutely non-verbal. The number of quasi-verbal or non-verbal autistics who type out eerily similar accounts of being bullied for being "stupid" by their real life peers using collegiate level phrasing is astonishing. And those are just the ignorant ones. The actual malicious abuse that occurs with autistic kids in "corrective" therapy or women being exploited because they can't pick up on predatory cues would make you vomit.

This schema I'm getting comes directly from a world-renowned autism specialty center in one of the top psychiatric hospitals in the US. It's consistent with the DSM-V. I work with hundreds of autistic clients daily, in addition to being autistic myself. I get paid to do it. I know what the gently caress I'm talking about. The rest of the world is the one playing catch-up.

And I'm not naive. I'm not expecting everyone, much less people in the dead center of the bell curve to give a gently caress or suddenly change their perception. When I speak with ASD activists-- PhD holders, working professionals, parents-- we all agree with grim resignation that we're looking at decades of work. We cry when we see the race riots or LGBTQ+ regression not only because we have basic empathy and understanding of injustice, but because we understand exactly how much higher the hill for us to climb is.

And we do that work on multiple fronts:

1. Community Unity-- stop trying to segregate the "high-functioners" from the "low-functioners." It undercuts the so-called low, pomps up the so-called "high," and sub-divides an already very vulnerable community.
2. Education-- this is slow, and will take decades. It starts in the medical community and works its way outward, but it also includes posts like mine. If you've read this far and are internalizing any of what was said. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.
3. Move Autism Organizations to a level where actual autistics are involved. This is part of what I do.
4. Representation -- stop showing autistics exclusively as quirky, pain-in-the-rear end savants (Sheldon Cooper, The Good Doctor), Pinocchio boys (Spock, Data), creeps (Atypical), or borderline invalids (The Car Wash).

Now I want to note-- I don't have anything against the car wash itself. I think it's a Good Thing™ that a lot of ASD people I personally know would get a lot of use out of in learning to structure themselves for the working world. As long as the wages are at least minimum and the employees aren't being exploited any worse than any other wage slave job, I really wouldn't go out of my way to critique it.

The problem is posting it around to co-opt the feel-good vibes when it is by-and-large the only exposure most people will get to what they know is an ASD individual.

----------

I've heard armchair statistics guess that maybe 1 in 64 people is on the Autism Spectrum. I don't know how true that is, but it seems more likely than not.

Of those only a small percentage of those demonstrate ASD in a way where you would "know" on-sight-- physical stimming, no real eye contact, echolalia or verbal dysphasia, etc. The people in their day to day lives who they might just think of as "soft" or "sensitive" or "creepy" are probably on the Spectrum, many of them might not even know it, but they're there.

And now it's that much more difficult for them to find their place in the world. "Oh I can't be autistic. I'm not like those people." Or worse-- they might now be afraid to come out or stand with other autistics because when all most people "know" is that autistic = retarded, they're going to be associated with that label and denied the opportunity to prove themselves or even just exist as respected members of their communities and families. I've watched my own mother weep when she realized that certain things about me were just never going to "get better." We need people to be better about this. Not want. Need. For our literal survival.

I am not a stupid person. I went to college when I was sixteen and was in gifted programs my entire life. I have a job, live independently, and am in a committed long-term relationship. I also put people off, schedule all my shopping at store open/close to avoid crowds, have real trouble keeping myself organized, and the average bar is a sensory nightmare. Most autistics are in similar boats where we're perfectly capable of being good people, but we're lopsided in weird ways that keep us from fitting in or "living up to our potential," and the last thing any of us need is representation that forces people to think we can only be high or low.

The last reddit post I saw with that gif had 60,000 votes, god know how many views.

Just saying.

---------

On a special note: I'm not trying to romanticize or whitewash the problems of ASD or the ASD community. I've been standing side by side with autistics and thought "Oh I totally see why I was bullied for that now." I've met autistic chuds and even Nazis who don't seem to realize that autistics are one of the first people who will get genocided for being "useless" and "unproductive" and "poisoning the gene pool." I've met selfish rear end in a top hat autistics. I've met lots of autistics who made their family and support networks' lives absolute hell. I've met sexual predator autistics. I've met loads of autistics who would genuinely take advantage of being thought of as lesser in order to do less work. There is a very troubling question of whether or not ASD people should have children. Many autistics really can be subpar employees due to their sensitivity to literal and figurative pressure. All real things, all problems.

And you can point at me and call me a bleeding heart drama queen, or whine about how standards exist for a reason and being unable to meet them is a sign of being an invalid, or that you genuinely don't care.

Maybe so.

I'm still not wrong.

We're here and we didn't have a choice in it, and we're not asking for special treatment-- just equitable treatment-- and ideally some systemic changes:

Also other people asked me to explain. I was prepared to let my comment stand because the thread usually moves on.

---------------

And what matters is that we are working as a community. Want to know how autistics can be good for you?

Accommodations for us mean better treatment for everyone. We are the early warning system for inequitable treatment. When we're too uncomfortable to work, that's usually a sign to check the working environment-- Are things reasonably comfortable for the length of the shift? Are workers being overstimulated? Is the workload unreasonable? Does the environment allow for space where things can be quieter, or more spacious, or more well-lit? The answers to these questions will of course vary from individual to individual, and if the only response you've had to any of those questions was a :smug: "It's work it's not meant to be comfortable" or "lol like any big business would do that for us" well then guess what? Maybe the problems come from the system, and you aren't fighting the real enemy.

And don't support Autism Speaks. They don't have any actual Autistics in positions of leadership or even counsel, they support outdated therapy and "looking for a cure," and spend most of their money on board salaries and advertisements. They're just like Susan G. Komen.

Support ASAN instead, the https://autisticadvocacy.org/. They're by autistics, for autistics.

My Discord is in my Profile. You can contact me if you'd like to know more about what I do.

---------

Thanks for coming to my working-class TED talk. I truly and sincerely hope none of you are just gonna be dicks about this. I mean I expect it, but it'd be nice if you weren't.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 3, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Thanks for sharing. We can all be better.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
That is a blessed post. Thanks for sharing and broadening my understanding of autism.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
That was informative, thank you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Irsh posted:

That is a blessed post. Thanks for sharing and broadening my understanding of autism.

+1

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks, Walrus. Up until a couple of minutes ago, I did think of the spectrum as linear rather than a radar plot. I, uh, I won't do that any more.

Also that's the second time in as many days that I've seen the Equality/Equity/Justice graphic and that's a blessed pic on its own.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot, that amazing ASD post clarified a ton of stuff for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Something else that's worth knowing about is the broad autism phenotype, which describes people who have mild autistic traits but don't meet the (more-or-less arbitrary) standard for diagnosis. There are probably useful similar ideas for other neurodivergent conditions (ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, depression, etc.), but right now this is the only one that people are talking about.