Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Pokéthulhu—Pokémon
Sojourner—Journey
Extracausal—Control

Edit: also Behind a Truck Near the Docks to the S.S. Anne.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a Hyper Light Drifter game in development, if that counts.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
RemiNES is pay-what-you-want and based on NES/SNES era gaming

it's also basic as hell

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I'm looking for a rules-light narrative game I can glue to D&D 4e the way the Lancer RPG has a narrative system (mostly) separate from the tactical combat system. Ideally, it should cover social interaction/reputation/favors with quest-givers and factions, wilderness survival, sneaking, searching, resolving non-lethal fights without tracking HP, and downtime activities. Basically I want a system with non intensive math and skill checks that aren't just binary pass/fail that governs all the time when adventurers aren't armored up with spells prepped and prayers said for big set-piece fights.

RULESET: freeform/light
SUPPORT: any
CHARGEN: Quick - should be able to roughly match character options to d&d 4e classes even if it's as broad as knights for warlord and fighter, and magic user to cover all non-divine casters.
SETTING: Universal - dungeon fantasy in broad strokes.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 22, 2020

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Octavo posted:

I'm looking for a rules-light narrative game I can glue to D&D 4e the way the Lancer RPG has a narrative system (mostly) separate from the tactical combat system. Ideally, it should cover social interaction/reputation/favors with quest-givers and factions, wilderness survival, sneaking, searching, resolving non-lethal fights without tracking HP, and downtime activities. Basically I want a system with non intensive math and skill checks that aren't just binary pass/fail that governs all the time when adventurers aren't armored up with spells prepped and prayers said for big set-piece fights.

RULESET: freeform/light
SUPPORT: any
CHARGEN: Quick - should be able to roughly match character options to d&d 4e classes even if it's as broad as knights for warlord and fighter, and magic user to cover all non-divine casters.
SETTING: Universal - dungeon fantasy in broad strokes.

Strike! Perhaps? It uses 4E style combat and the narrative system is a fail forward d6 with an open-ended skill system. And it is setting agnostic.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah I agree on strike. The skill system and the specificity it demands becomes this lovely record of exciting and funny moments. It's quite charming.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Pussy Quipped posted:

Strike! Perhaps? It uses 4E style combat and the narrative system is a fail forward d6 with an open-ended skill system. And it is setting agnostic.

I've got a copy of it. I'll take another look at the skill system. Thanks!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Some of my strike players were a little flummoxed by not having a hard list of skills to pick from. Here's the one I wrote up for them

ADVENTURING SKILLS
sneaking, acrobatics, riding, swimming, climbing,
sailing, navigation, survival, knowledge: (history, arcana, nature, etc)
lock picking, engineering, carpentry, masonry, smithing
bluffing, intimidation, persuasion
spot, listen, search
knives, swords, hammers, axes, archery, slings, spears
divination, alchemy, cantrips

COOKING SKILLS
foraging, farming, fishing, hunting, husbandry
butchery, charcuterie, cheesemaking, entomophagy
roasting, poaching, braising, grilling, sautee, smoking
breads, pasta, cakes, cookies
crudites, mycophagy, sauciere
fermenting, brewing, distilling, bartending
pickling, curing, refrigeration
garnish, frosting, plating

Feel free to take it, with or without the enormous cooking section

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 22, 2020

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Ignite Memories posted:

Some of my strike players were a little flummoxed by not having a hard list of skills to pick from. Here's the one I wrote up for them

ADVENTURING SKILLS
sneaking, acrobatics, riding, swimming, climbing,
sailing, navigation, survival, knowledge: (history, arcana, nature, etc)
lock picking, engineering, carpentry, masonry, smithing
bluffing, intimidation, persuasion
spot, listen, search
knives, swords, hammers, axes, archery, slings, spears
divination, alchemy, cantrips

COOKING SKILLS
foraging, farming, fishing, hunting, husbandry
butchery, charcuterie, cheesemaking, entomophagy
roasting, poaching, braising, grilling, sautee, smoking
breads, pasta, cakes, cookies
crudites, mycophagy, sauciere
fermenting, brewing, distilling, bartending
pickling, curing, refrigeration
garnish, frosting, plating

Feel free to take it, with or without the enormous cooking section

The cooking section once again makes me wish there were a Dungeon Meshi RPG.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We ended up with stuff like 'the ultimate pullup' 'getting out the way if cannonballs' and 'those chicken wings are too spicy'. Don't be afraid to be fun and specific, because you'll have a much better time than rolling for strength agility or endurance.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I remember having ones like “ sucker punching “ , “performative vomiting”, and “dude-ness”

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A cursory google doesn't turn anything good up, and I suspect the answer is no, but has anyone hacked up Gumshoe to run Stand Alone Complex? Most of the pieces are already present in NBA/Ashen Stars/MCB somehow, so I'm surprised it hasn't even been done.

Alternatively, what are some good non-Gumshoe systems for playing police procedurals?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I want a game where you basically do Kingdom Hearts but you can do insane poo poo like Ben 10 and Evangelion (it's an in-joke). Please dear God don't recommend Interstitial, even though this is the impetus for the entire train of thought.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Covok posted:

I want a game where you basically do Kingdom Hearts but you can do insane poo poo like Ben 10 and Evangelion (it's an in-joke). Please dear God don't recommend Interstitial, even though this is the impetus for the entire train of thought.

I've come so close to writing this system so many times, but have a deep fear of not being able to monetize my sins

I honestly recommend OVA or Mutants & Masterminds; though made for anime or superheroes respectively you can make anything and run anything with their hilariously open point buy systems

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking for a crunchy modern system for running a good old fashioned post-nuclear apocalypse game in. Looking for pages of robot stats and mutant bugs and future guns and maps of abandoned facilities to fight the former to loot the latter in. Some kind of community building mechanic would be nice but way down the list.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Splicer posted:

Looking for a crunchy modern system for running a good old fashioned post-nuclear apocalypse game in. Looking for pages of robot stats and mutant bugs and future guns and maps of abandoned facilities to fight the former to loot the latter in. Some kind of community building mechanic would be nice but way down the list.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, so I can't vouch to quality, but you're describing Mutant: Year Zero.

e: Flipping through the book, it may not be crunchy enough. You could probably also bash together Fragged Empire (sci-fi, post-apocalyptic) and Kingdom (community-building mechanics are a big part of character advancement in that) but that would take some doing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, so I can't vouch to quality, but you're describing Mutant: Year Zero.

e: Flipping through the book, it may not be crunchy enough. You could probably also bash together Fragged Empire (sci-fi, post-apocalyptic) and Kingdom (community-building mechanics are a big part of character advancement in that) but that would take some doing.
I was hoping for something super off the shelf, ideally with modules. I want to run a few friends through some busted up army bases full or mad robots all lazy like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gamma World 7E seems like what you may want.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aftermath lol

(Don't play aftermath)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

Gamma World 7E seems like what you may want.
Looking for something a bit less gonzo. I do like gonzo, just not what I'm looking for right now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Beaten to Aftermath :argh: Okay then, The Morrow Project

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splicer posted:

Looking for something a bit less gonzo. I do like gonzo, just not what I'm looking for right now.

Not really that hard to dial back the gonzo, after all Gamma World 7e is basically built with the assumption you'll be reskinning things anyways

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I feel like the only post-apocalyptic game with the amount of support that you’re looking for is Twilight 2000. There aren’t really that many prewritten PA adventures out there.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lumbermouth posted:

I feel like the only post-apocalyptic game with the amount of support that you’re looking for is Twilight 2000. There aren’t really that many prewritten PA adventures out there.

I always hesitate to suggest it because I'm heavily biased in favor of it, despite how confusing of a system it can be at times.

But hell yeah motherfucker run Twilight.

You'd have to add your own robots but that's easily fixed in about 5 minutes, despite being incredibly crunchy it's also meant to be equally versatile.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Upgrade to Twilight 2013. That actually has a ruleset that's pretty decent. If you want to stick with T2K go with the 2.1 edition and hunt down the expansion Twilight Nightmares as well as the game Dark Conspiracy. Those two will give you all the weird science you need.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I have a friend who’s planning to run a game but is unsure of what system he wants to use. The prompt I was given is teen supers who are now in their 30s.

Any suggestions on a system that would be particularly good?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
No sure shots off the top of my head here, but – based on my cursory understanding of this system and depending on the tone your friend is going for – they might want to look into the DIE RPG playtest materials for inspiration. Or heck, they could even use it as a base for a hack if they feel comfortable developing their own custom-tailored system from an existing rough draft of what amounts to the traditional fantasy equivalent of the given prompt.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What system has the best grid(or hex)-based tactical combat? Writing one is hard

e: i got some suggestions last time but they were all mech combat specific. Isn't there anything a little bit more general?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ignite Memories posted:

What system has the best grid(or hex)-based tactical combat? Writing one is hard

e: i got some suggestions last time but they were all mech combat specific. Isn't there anything a little bit more general?

Games I've played and wholeheartedly endorse:
D&D 4E
Gamma World 7E
Fragged Empire

Good reputations, stuff I would like to play if I got the chance:
LANCER
Valor
Panic at the Dojo
Let Thrones Beware

the last two in particular are goon-developed, even

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Great post, thank you very much. I bought several pdfs

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ignite Memories posted:

Great post, thank you very much. I bought several pdfs

Worth noting that Lancer is included in that Itch.io BLM bundle.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Games I've played and wholeheartedly endorse:
D&D 4E
Gamma World 7E
Fragged Empire

Good reputations, stuff I would like to play if I got the chance:
LANCER
Valor
Panic at the Dojo
Let Thrones Beware

the last two in particular are goon-developed, even

Valor is also goon-developed, by ProfessorProf.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God Gamma World 7e rules so hard. It’s one of the games that I’ve always wanted to run.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

King Cohort posted:

Valor is also goon-developed, by ProfessorProf.

They’re Quinn2winn now.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

AweStriker posted:

They’re Quinn2winn now.

Ah, my apologies.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

A long-running Exalted game I was playing in just ended, in part because the ruleset was too heavy and some of us felt like we couldn't manage the cognitive load to both roleplay and figure out how our mess of charms interacted. We softly decided on running Dungeon World next, but I recently learned about the controversy with Adam Koebel and I'm less inclined to play it now. Though since we wouldn't be giving him any money, I'm not dead set on another system. That said, it's hard to evaluate without knowing what's out there. I'm hoping some of y'all can help me understand what other options we have that are similarly fiction-focused. We were particularly impressed as a group by the DM advice and principles, and by the whole PBTA approach of fiction leading, moves following.

Ruleset: Lite
Support: Established (or User-Generated maybe)
Chargen: Quick or low end of Involved
Setting: no strong preference - suitable for a dungeon crawly game, though it doesn't have to be fantasy necessarily.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fellowship seems like it's at least a near hit for you, though it's more about opposing the Evil Overlord than exploring a dungeon.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
All the recent poo poo going on with D&D has given me enough of a kick in the pants to seriously look into finding a similar compromise fantasy system I can run. Most of the stuff I run tends to be science fantasy in the Thundarr the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe or Horizon Zero Dawn mold: Vaguely swords and sorcery medieval fantasy built on top of the ruins of an advanced civilization. Some of the players I regularly run for are big into in-depth character creation and customization so the system needs to have at least a reasonable amount of crunch to it to pique their interest. I also generally prefer to keep the over-all scope and narrative power level of the game somewhere around the second tier in D&D: A bunch of warriors who are slightly more capable than your average Joe taking care of local threats and the occasional evil wizard. The one other big thing: It needs to have support for creating your own race/ancestry options and preferably has a less regressive concept of teh mechanical differences between races than D&D does. I like to have tons and tons of monster-folks for my players to choose from and love homebrewing new species and cultures!

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
Chargen: Quick to Involved
Setting: Neutral, established is fine if there's room to homebrew

What I've looked into so far:
Shadow of the Demon Lord: Pretty much hits the mechanical sweet spot I'm looking for, but I feel like the aesthetic of the vanilla game is going to be a turn-off to some players (Even if I'm not using the default setting). I also find race/ancestry options weirdly difficult to homebrew for reasons I don't entirely understand.
Symbaroum - Seems promising, I've only taken a cursory glance at it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a number of actual sword and sorcery systems out there, with the main one that would fit what you want probably being Barbarians of Lemuria. It's reasonably light and pretty competent, and the character options would do what you want them to do.

There's also always the option of using generic systems. Fate isn't very good at anything in particular straight out of the box, but can be hacked into doing anything you want (luckily, the core books have several magic subsystems that you can probably just reuse wholesale); or you could look at Savage Worlds.

If you wanted to go ultra rules-light, you could use Tiny Dungeon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pork never goes bad posted:

A long-running Exalted game I was playing in just ended, in part because the ruleset was too heavy and some of us felt like we couldn't manage the cognitive load to both roleplay and figure out how our mess of charms interacted. We softly decided on running Dungeon World next, but I recently learned about the controversy with Adam Koebel and I'm less inclined to play it now. Though since we wouldn't be giving him any money, I'm not dead set on another system. That said, it's hard to evaluate without knowing what's out there. I'm hoping some of y'all can help me understand what other options we have that are similarly fiction-focused. We were particularly impressed as a group by the DM advice and principles, and by the whole PBTA approach of fiction leading, moves following.

Ruleset: Lite
Support: Established (or User-Generated maybe)
Chargen: Quick or low end of Involved
Setting: no strong preference - suitable for a dungeon crawly game, though it doesn't have to be fantasy necessarily.

Whitehack would be my suggestion, no official PDF for it though so you'll have to do some digging around to find one of the unofficial scans that exists(if you need some help in that regard give me a PM), on the plus side the print version is both really cheap and really nice in a rather minimalist fashion

KingKalamari posted:

All the recent poo poo going on with D&D has given me enough of a kick in the pants to seriously look into finding a similar compromise fantasy system I can run. Most of the stuff I run tends to be science fantasy in the Thundarr the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe or Horizon Zero Dawn mold: Vaguely swords and sorcery medieval fantasy built on top of the ruins of an advanced civilization. Some of the players I regularly run for are big into in-depth character creation and customization so the system needs to have at least a reasonable amount of crunch to it to pique their interest. I also generally prefer to keep the over-all scope and narrative power level of the game somewhere around the second tier in D&D: A bunch of warriors who are slightly more capable than your average Joe taking care of local threats and the occasional evil wizard. The one other big thing: It needs to have support for creating your own race/ancestry options and preferably has a less regressive concept of teh mechanical differences between races than D&D does. I like to have tons and tons of monster-folks for my players to choose from and love homebrewing new species and cultures!

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
Chargen: Quick to Involved
Setting: Neutral, established is fine if there's room to homebrew

What I've looked into so far:
Shadow of the Demon Lord: Pretty much hits the mechanical sweet spot I'm looking for, but I feel like the aesthetic of the vanilla game is going to be a turn-off to some players (Even if I'm not using the default setting). I also find race/ancestry options weirdly difficult to homebrew for reasons I don't entirely understand.
Symbaroum - Seems promising, I've only taken a cursory glance at it.

Blueholme might be what you're looking for, it has very generous and simple rules for using Monsters as PC races(the developers in playtesting only found two of the monsters they tested to have issues, Gelatinous Cube for speed reasons and a Medusa due to being a tad too strong), I can help with some advice on how to use that system if you want

Pars Fortuna would be another good one for weird fantasy, and Fantastic Heroes & Witchery has some excellent stuff to borrow for a science fantasy game(not to mention has 666 spells if you feel the need to beef up the spell library of a different OSR system