Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wanted to pick up the Master Collection but the stories of these bugs are putting me off a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've heard really lovely things about the audio quality of the ports as well and I don't think they've ever been fixed so far.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I've played through the 3 games so far in co-op and we've had no real issues in a full playthrough. Especially worth it if you can get a cheap Game Pass Ultimate trial.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I've heard really lovely things about the audio quality of the ports as well and I don't think they've ever been fixed so far.

I think that the audio is only hosed up in Reach, not the other games.

Apparently it's not an easy fix either, something about the audio codec got hosed up when porting Reach from the 360 and they're having to rebuild it or something. I dunno', I don't really understand this stuff. Apparently they've hired some former Bungie devs who worked on Reach's audio to fix it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

KennyMan666 posted:

PYF Game Glitch: so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game does fit.
For the new page

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Veotax posted:

Apparently it's not an easy fix either, something about the audio codec got hosed up when porting Reach from the 360 and they're having to rebuild it or something. I dunno', I don't really understand this stuff. Apparently they've hired some former Bungie devs who worked on Reach's audio to fix it.

Codecs being discontinued or depreciated for whatever reason isn't uncommon so I'm not surprised. Digital formats need to be maintained and so they're hard to future proof.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wanted to pick up the Master Collection but the stories of these bugs are putting me off a bit

i *think* these are stories of the bugs for the console release of the collection which is over half a decade old, not the recent arrival of it on pc

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

flatluigi posted:

i *think* these are stories of the bugs for the console release of the collection which is over half a decade old, not the recent arrival of it on pc

The dev story specifically points out that the bug only shows up in PC builds of the collection

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Veotax posted:

it was unplayably bad for me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flatluigi posted:

Nope

The worst of the MCC stuff is being/already is fixed up and I don't really blame 343 for it - MS is really breathing down their necks to get it all out there fast.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, the pace of it all seems a bit extreme.
For a reminder, we're up at 3 games ported so far the last ~6 months, with a 4th currently in testing.

(You'd think they could have started doing this earlier to avoid this crunch, but I guess they just suddenly made the decision to slam everything onto PC around the time they decided Halo Infinite was going to roll out on PC as well.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be the poor third-party studio that has to port Microsoft's flagship title while getting rushed to hell and back. I know they're a MS subsidiary, but that's not the same thing as actually being familiar with the stuff.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SubNat posted:

Yeah, the pace of it all seems a bit extreme.
For a reminder, we're up at 3 games ported so far the last ~6 months, with a 4th currently in testing.

(You'd think they could have started doing this earlier to avoid this crunch, but I guess they just suddenly made the decision to slam everything onto PC around the time they decided Halo Infinite was going to roll out on PC as well.)

My guess: they knew this was coming but have found that bullshit crunches can be accomplished so it’s become part of the process in a philosophy of “gently caress the people doing the work.”

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

And on top of it porting... 6? 7? different titles from 3 separate generations of console to pc.
(Or in the case of 1, tweaking an existing, lovely pc port that had been turned into a 360 port, and porting it back to pc. :psyduck: Instead of doing a new, proper port of the original source.)

It's Reach, 1, 2, 3, 3:ODST, 4, and 5 they're doing, right?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SubNat posted:

And on top of it porting... 6? 7? different titles from 3 separate generations of console to pc.
(Or in the case of 1, tweaking an existing, lovely pc port that had been turned into a 360 port, and porting it back to pc. :psyduck: Instead of doing a new, proper port of the original source.)

The Master Chief Collection actually came out in 2014 on the Xbox One, so they're actually porting from that.
From what I hear, the PS4 and Xbone aren't that far from PC's, since they're not using bizarre custom processors like the Cell or some bullshit, so I guess the porting process isn't as bad? Maybe?

So for Halo 1 it's a port (og Xbox to PC) of a port (PC to 360) of a port (360 to Xbone) of a port (Xbone to PC).

quote:

It's Reach, 1, 2, 3, 3:ODST, 4, and 5 they're doing, right?

Not Halo 5, the MCC came out before 5 on the Xbone so I can't imagine them adding it for the PC. Maybe they'll port it as a separate game after?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The best part is that there's 11 total engines involved.

Legacy UUI
Halo: CE legacy engine
Halo: CE remastered engine
Halo 2: legacy engine
Halo 2: remastered engine
Halo 3
ODST
Halo 4
Halo 2: Anniversary MP
Halo: Reach
UE4 (MCC menus)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly I'm kind of shocked it works at all

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

The best part is that there's 11 total engines involved.

Halo: CE legacy engine
Halo: CE remastered engine
Halo 2: legacy engine
Halo 2: remastered engine

How does this work exactly? The games have real time graphic switching so do they run two game engines simultaneously?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sininu posted:

How does this work exactly? The games have real time graphic switching so do they run two game engines simultaneously?

Yes. The legacy engine is responsible for the gameplay and the modern engine takes over when it's time to render a new frame. Pressing the switch button makes it invoke the legacy renderer instead. Both of those games targeted 64MB of RAM originally so there's more than enough on a modern system to load both asset collections at once.

There's a bit more cleverness involved because there are places where changing the renderer actually changes the world geometry (there are hidden bonus areas in the modern mode) and it has to push you out of a space that no longer exists. Or at least that was the case in the standalone Halo 1 remake for Xbox 360, I don't know if it's in the MCC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

Both of those games targeted 64MB of RAM originally
I keep forgetting how old Halo is sometimes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Halo was and is never that good. It was just the only decent FPS on a console for a while.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dialhforhero posted:

Halo was and is never that good. It was just the only decent FPS on a console for a while.

It's one of the best co-op campaign games I've ever played.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Halo is one of those games that spawned a genre. Doing it first and doing it best doesn't tend to go hand it hand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dialhforhero posted:

Multiplayer's still been fun as hell on MCC, especially now that we're in the Good Halos and not just stuck with Reach and CE.

Also, maybe it's just my setup but the audio in Reach sounds fine? Positional audio sounds a bit janky but it's 100% playable and not distracting.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's one of the best co-op campaign games I've ever played.

I miss the era of halo, where we got Halo 3, Halo ODST and Reach then Halo 4 in fairly quick succession. Me and a buddy had so many epic moments in coop. One of the best coop experiences ever and I really miss that epic feeling of every mission being a big sandbox you could mess around in.

GyverMac has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jun 1, 2020

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I did like Halo when I played it on PC all those years ago. Halo 2 didn't really hook me when I tried it though and I'm not exactly sure why.

Installing Halo 2 was a little dumb, though, as it didn't let me install it at first because I wasn't using Windows Vista... because I was already on Windows 7. Running the installer in compatibility mode solved that, but that didn't make it any less silly. Pretty sure there was nothing at all in Vista that was actually required for the game, Microsoft just made the game refuse to install on not-Vista since they wanted to push the OS.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Also, maybe it's just my setup but the audio in Reach sounds fine? Positional audio sounds a bit janky but it's 100% playable and not distracting.

For me the audio shat itself during every cutscene but was mostly ok during gameplay (save for the mission in space where it was the worst). The audio just became a garbled unintelligible mess of digital fart noises and weird clipping and desync and repeating. It was great tho because it meant the game literally ended on a massive, long, drawn out fart.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jawnycat posted:

It was great tho because it meant the game literally ended on a massive, long, drawn out fart.

My opinion on the franchise in general

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dialhforhero posted:

So it's like Goldeneye

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It standardized console FPS controls which was neat because fuuuuck, every game had a different layout then.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Croccers posted:

It standardized console FPS controls which was neat because fuuuuck, every game had a different layout then.

yeah except for these dinguses

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's what the layout of the old SNES controllers was, so I guess we can blame that on Nintendo being stubborn and refusing to adjust to modern conventions because they did it first, harumph.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, don't give Nintendo poo poo for the ABXY layout, it's been there forever. Do give them poo poo for switching to A being the confirm button and B being the back button somewhere along the way, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, don't give Nintendo poo poo for the ABXY layout, it's been there forever. Do give them poo poo for switching to A being the confirm button and B being the back button somewhere along the way, though.

Wait, what? Nintendo set that as the standard though, I thought?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't used a real SNES controller in almost 30 years, but whenever I play an emulated game, that still is how it works, yes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, what? Nintendo set that as the standard though, I thought?

I dunno if it was completely standardized, but a lot of games used B as confirm back in the SNES days (when my brain got all these conventions set, so that part now feels more natural on Sony/Xbox menus than Switch).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nintendo and sony both have the same button layout, it is microsoft that is wrong.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Primary button being the one closest to your thumb, and down, makes sense because people can't remember right/left very well in general, up down is better, so bottom button just works best for a primary.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LifeSunDeath posted:

Primary button being the one closest to your thumb, and down, makes sense because people can't remember right/left very well in general, up down is better, so bottom button just works best for a primary.

It's O for Confirm and X for Cancel on the Playstation in international markets because that makes perfect sense, is in line with what Nintendo was already doing, and it was literally designed for that purpose, but Americans are so loving stupid that you are in fact correct for that one demographic, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Circle for confirm and X for cancel is japanese only because they use those symbols for those exact things (Circle for "Correct" and X for "Wrong") and everywhere else, not just the US, it's the reverse.