Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I’m thinking about getting a month of the TNA streaming service, does it have a complete run of all the old Impacts?

Why would you do this to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has WWE ever run shows in Japan that weren't sponsored or in affiliation with any of the big name companies, or do they generally stay out?

Typically they run 2 shows in Sumo Hall and one at EDION in Osaka each year. Though last year they just did the Tokyo shows. They are run of the mill house shows.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Spikey Willow posted:

I was surprised to read that there are only 6 members of the Kiss My rear end Club, despite several close calls:

Regal
JR
HBK
Shane
Foley
Hornswoggle

Certainly felt like more with the amount of screen time it got.

I thought Jannetty was in that club.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking up the close calls I found this "trivia", which I mean I remember this angle being misogynistic and very MGOTW but

UPDATE: This was some wiki vandalism, fortunately. The segment is still disgusting but at least no one gets farted on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyVf_0t_EDQ

I can't stop laughing at " they take turns farting on her." I am picturing them politely alternating at pre-set intervals like little kids. Except they aren't. They're actually huge touch guys.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Red posted:

I thought Jannetty was in that club.
One of the close calls:

quote:

On the February 27, 2006 Monday Night Raw, Vince McMahon tried to force Marty Jannetty to join the “Mr. McMahon Kiss My rear end Club” for a job. McMahon teased Janetty in several forms by bending over and exposing his rear end to the public. Marty Jannetty refused and ended up taking the Masterlock Challenge until Vince McMahon low blowed Jannetty! Shawn Michaels ran out to save Janetty from membership, followed by Shane McMahon who whacked Michaels with a chair and made him kiss Vince’s rear end

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has WWE ever run shows in Japan that weren't sponsored or in affiliation with any of the big name companies, or do they generally stay out?

They had a Raw from Saitama Super Arena in 2005, where Regal and Tajiri won the tag belts

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

They also did SD there

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

fatherofmustard posted:

They also did SD there

Didn't JBL get hit with a tranquilizer dart and attack Godzilla in that show?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Max Coveri posted:

Didn't JBL get hit with a tranquilizer dart and attack Godzilla in that show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8hWJ1zbxs

yes......

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Jim Ross induction into the kiss my rear end club is one of the funniest, weirdest things ever on TV. It goes on forever and it's truly disturbing on some level.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Eat My Fuc posted:

The Jim Ross induction into the kiss my rear end club is one of the funniest, weirdest things ever on TV. It goes on forever and it's truly disturbing on some level.
I recall the payoff, if you can call it that, to the original Kiss My rear end Club angle was Rikishi's comeback from injury and Vince getting his face shoved up Rikishi's rear end by The Rock. They dubbed fart noises over the segment in the international 1-hour highlights version of the episode, presumably because the comedy in the original segment was too subtle for our strange foreign sensibilities. Or maybe the SFX were in the original airing as well, Smackdown was taped after all. Anyway, that was a thing that happened.

The segment was so long they cut part of it from the international version. First off, we've got Rock and Vince coming out and talking trash to each other as Rock says he's going to shut down the Kiss My rear end Club for good (lol), and he's gonna do it by making Vince kiss his rear end. He's got Vince kneeling in the ring and everything. However, he eventually realizes that's not good enough, so he brings out JR so Vince can kiss his rear end. About 17 hours later, Rock says that's not gonna work either and Vince isn't kissing JR's rear end. So, now Trish Stratus comes out to get revenge for... everything in that loving terrible angle earlier in 2001 as if this segment makes up for all that poo poo, and Vince is all :vince: about the prospect of kissing her rear end (the Trish part of the segment was cut from the international version and I only read about it later) and naturally that's not happening, although I'm sure Vince tried to convince UPN it would be great for ratings. So, finally, Rikishi shows up and we get the wonderful payoff to this equally wonderful storyline that is promptly forgotten and never brought up ag--oh, son of a bitch.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 1, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Doc M posted:

I recall the payoff, if you can call it that, to the original Kiss My rear end Club angle was Rikishi's comeback from injury and Vince getting his face shoved up Rikishi's rear end by The Rock. They dubbed fart noises over the segment in the international 1-hour highlights version of the episode, presumably because the comedy in the original segment was too subtle for our strange foreign sensibilities. Or maybe the SFX were in the original airing as well, Smackdown was taped after all. Anyway, that was a thing that happened.

The segment was so long they cut part of it from the international version. First off, we've got Rock and Vince coming out and talking trash to each other as Rock says he's going to shut down the Kiss My rear end Club for good (lol), and he's gonna do it by making Vince kiss his rear end. He's got Vince kneeling in the ring and everything. However, he eventually realizes that's not good enough, so he brings out JR so Vince can kiss his rear end. About 17 hours later, Rock says that's not gonna work either and Vince isn't kissing JR's rear end. So, now Trish Stratus comes out to get revenge for... everything in that loving terrible angle earlier in 2001 as if this segment makes up for all that poo poo, and Vince is all :vince: about the prospect of kissing her rear end (the Trish part of the segment was cut from the international version and I only read about it later) and naturally that's not happening, although I'm sure Vince tried to convince UPN it would be great for ratings. So, finally, Rikishi shows up and we get the wonderful payoff to this equally wonderful storyline that is promptly forgotten and never brought up ag--oh, son of a bitch.

My god as you told it I remembered it, watching it live in my double wide trailer and my step mom goes "this is guh-ross" in the most trailer park white trash voice you can imagine it's seared into my mind again drat.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat My Fuc posted:

"Is that because you're better than me??"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Typically they run 2 shows in Sumo Hall and one at EDION in Osaka each year. Though last year they just did the Tokyo shows. They are run of the mill house shows.

They were supposed to run Yokohama Arena next month

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
That was because Sumo Hall was blocked out for the Olympics though, right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Here are some random items for you to answer during a slow day:

1. What is Big Show's best singles match? I honestly can't recall a great match with him in it. I'm also open to his matches in WCW, but nothing really sticks out.
2. Did no one find it odd that bleeding during matches might get on fans? Looking back at Bulldog/Bret from December 95's IYH, Bret's blood gets on the fans, who just casually wipe it off. That's loving disgusting. I don't recall seeing this happen much, but was this ever a big deal in the press/from fans/etc.?
3. Does anyone know why Charles Wright dropped the Papa Shango gimmick for Kama, and what the plan was? I like both gimmicks a ton, and I figured the Kama thing was trying to capitalize on MMA coming around; the problem (to me) was that Wright didn't know a lot of technical holds, and he was just too cartoony/one-dimensional.
4. Did the WWF carry jobbers in the 80s and 90s, or did they primarily rely on local guys? I'm curious if Horowitz was a local guy who got signed to a deal, or was just reliable enough he traveled with them.
5. Has Sonny Onoo been effectively blackballed for suing WCW?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

That was because Sumo Hall was blocked out for the Olympics though, right?

Yeah, it's a bigger arena though and their recent Sumo Hall attendances haven't been fantastic (~6-7k) so it might not have turned out so well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red posted:

Here are some random items for you to answer during a slow day:

1. What is Big Show's best singles match? I honestly can't recall a great match with him in it. I'm also open to his matches in WCW, but nothing really sticks out.
2. Did no one find it odd that bleeding during matches might get on fans? Looking back at Bulldog/Bret from December 95's IYH, Bret's blood gets on the fans, who just casually wipe it off. That's loving disgusting. I don't recall seeing this happen much, but was this ever a big deal in the press/from fans/etc.?
3. Does anyone know why Charles Wright dropped the Papa Shango gimmick for Kama, and what the plan was? I like both gimmicks a ton, and I figured the Kama thing was trying to capitalize on MMA coming around; the problem (to me) was that Wright didn't know a lot of technical holds, and he was just too cartoony/one-dimensional.
4. Did the WWF carry jobbers in the 80s and 90s, or did they primarily rely on local guys? I'm curious if Horowitz was a local guy who got signed to a deal, or was just reliable enough he traveled with them.
5. Has Sonny Onoo been effectively blackballed for suing WCW?

I was watching the very first Best Friends Highspot video with Curt Hawkins this afternoon and on point 2 he mentioned being in a match with Ric Flair and Ric decided to blade because he's Ric Flair is guess. Afterwards Zack Ryder doesn't want to wash because he's covered in Flair's blood and how cool is that? (It's a fun video. I'd forgotten that the whole reason they started taking selfies with their tops off and tweeting them to The Rock was because Hawkins talked about having The Rock's number & Greg was desperate to get Curt to text him)

I imagine that was kind of the same if you were a front row fan in the mid 90s.

Number 3, Charles Wright left the WWF in 1993 and didn't come back until 1995. So I guess it was just "your last gimmick wasn't over enough so now we've brought you back try something else"

Number 5 is just no one like Sonny Onoo. He was only in WCW because he was friends with Eric Bischoff. He wasn't a good manager, Joey Janella has talked about how he basically decided to be try be Mutoh's manager & ended up with Mutoh not getting booked for this year's Spring Break show because Sonny desperately wanted all sorts of dumb poo poo for himself, despite Mutoh having previously agreed a deal.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 1, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Red posted:

At least per Big Dave, Show's finest singles match was against The Big Bout Big Dog, Roman Reigns. These are all of his ***+ singles matches according to Meltzer:
Nitro 3/25/1996 - Ric Flair vs. The Giant ***
Slamboree 1996 - The Giant vs. Sting ***1/4
Judgment Day 2003 - Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show (Stretcher) ***1/4
No Mercy 2004 - Kurt Angle vs. Big Show ***
Wrestlemania 24 - Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather (Hardcore) ***
No Mercy 2008 - Big Show vs. Undertaker ***1/2
Cyber Sunday 2008 - Big Show vs. Undertaker (Last Man Standing) ***1/4
Vengeance 2011 - Mark Henry vs. Big Show ***1/4
Hell in a Cell 2012 - Sheamus vs. Big Show ***1/2
TLC 2012 - Big Show vs. Sheamus (Chairs are legal, even BIG CHAIRS) ***1/4
Extreme Rules 2013 - Big Show vs. Randy Orton (Hardcore) ***1/4
Extreme Rules 2015 - Big Show vs. Roman Reigns (Last Man Standing) ****

I vaguely remember the 2008 Undertaker matches being enjoyable hoss-offs, and I remember the Big Chair from that second Sheamus match. I can't honestly remember anything about the rest of these.

quote:

It depended on the jobbers, 1980s guys you probably recognize like Barry Horowitz, Scott Casey, Barry O, SD Jones, Iron Mike Sharpe, etc. wrestled pretty exclusively for the WWF, did 100+ matches a year, and while jobbers were definitely part of the touring group/organization. Other jobbers who may have only appeared once or twice were locals/younger wrestlers getting a try-out, like how the Hardys spent four years being sporadic squash match guys before getting their first push/win in 1998 on Heat. Once Raw kicked off they slowly did away with squash matches and therefore had fewer jobbers in general, either contracted or one-off.

This was probably compounded by the fact that a lot of the job guys in the 1980s were people (like say, Tony Garea) who actually had some success in the territories but were older and on their way out of the business so their WWF stint was pure High Profile Jobber. By the 1990s Vince had killed the territories and a lot of the older guys who mostly lost on the card were actually former stars from within WWF, so at least for me having Koko B Ware or Val Venis on TV losing constantly five years after their prime felt different than seeing Rene Goulet doing the same thing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Red posted:

1. What is Big Show's best singles match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHpnoCag-g

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

forkboy84 posted:

Number 5 is just no one like Sonny Onoo. He was only in WCW because he was friends with Eric Bischoff. He wasn't a good manager, Joey Janella has talked about how he basically decided to be try be Mutoh's manager & ended up with Mutoh not getting booked for this year's Spring Break show because Sonny desperately wanted all sorts of dumb poo poo for himself, despite Mutoh having previously agreed a deal.

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1234306427650486272?s=20

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

lmao

I loving love carnies

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Big Show vs Ric Flair for the ECW Championship has to be seen, it's fantastic.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, something occurred to me.

It used to be that a wrestler had a single finisher. It would either be pin-based or submission based. Yet nowadays a fair number of top guys have a pair of finishers, one of each. Cena's AA and STF is the first that comes to mind.

Which top star do you think really started that trend?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, something occurred to me.

It used to be that a wrestler had a single finisher. It would either be pin-based or submission based. Yet nowadays a fair number of top guys have a pair of finishers, one of each. Cena's AA and STF is the first that comes to mind.

Which top star do you think really started that trend?

Angle seemed to use the Angle Slam and Angle Lock interchangeably, although it seemed the Slam waned as the Lock grew in stature.

edit: actually, Sting and the Scorpion Deathlock/Deathdrop might predate this.

MD2020 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tito Santana had the Flying Forearm and the Figure Four Leglock.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It depended on the jobbers, 1980s guys you probably recognize like Barry Horowitz, Scott Casey, Barry O, SD Jones, Iron Mike Sharpe, etc. wrestled pretty exclusively for the WWF, did 100+ matches a year, and while jobbers were definitely part of the touring group/organization. Other jobbers who may have only appeared once or twice were locals/younger wrestlers getting a try-out, like how the Hardys spent four years being sporadic squash match guys before getting their first push/win in 1998 on Heat. Once Raw kicked off they slowly did away with squash matches and therefore had fewer jobbers in general, either contracted or one-off.

This was probably compounded by the fact that a lot of the job guys in the 1980s were people (like say, Tony Garea) who actually had some success in the territories but were older and on their way out of the business so their WWF stint was pure High Profile Jobber. By the 1990s Vince had killed the territories and a lot of the older guys who mostly lost on the card were actually former stars from within WWF, so at least for me having Koko B Ware or Val Venis on TV losing constantly five years after their prime felt different than seeing Rene Goulet doing the same thing.

That is super interesting - thanks!

Kind of weird that now the company had/has a big group of dedicated jobbers who don't know it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Did Andre the Giant's estate (or representation or whatever) raise any kind of stink about the Giant being advertised as Andre's son? I can't imagine they asked permission

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

Did Andre the Giant's estate (or representation or whatever) raise any kind of stink about the Giant being advertised as Andre's son? I can't imagine they asked permission

I don't think so, but they should have.

Andre only had the one daughter, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

I don't think so, but they should have.

Andre only had the one daughter, right?

Yeah.

They met twice. Which might be why no fuss was raised.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah.

They met twice. Which might be why no fuss was raised.

That'll do it

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’ve noticed for years that whenever they use Andre in the video games there’s a copyright/licensing thing about him at the start, anyone know what the story is on that?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’ve noticed for years that whenever they use Andre in the video games there’s a copyright/licensing thing about him at the start, anyone know what the story is on that?

I'd assume it's a condition of his family/estate who holds the licensing for his likeness. I guess WWE doesn't have exclusive rights to him. Example, the figure company Super7 is putting out their own Andre figure

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/110481

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandman McMahon posted:

His daughter probably licenses out his likeness, now.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I'd assume it's a condition of his family/estate who holds the licensing for his likeness. I guess WWE doesn't have exclusive rights to him. Example, the figure company Super7 is putting out their own Andre figure

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/110481

Whatever genius decided to put in a can of Canadian with him deserves a raise.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's a literal website for licensing Andre stuff.

https://www.andrethegiant.com/licensing/

Whatever CMG Worldwide is, they seem to be the people handling the rights.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What do people think of Brian Cage?

He seems like Vince's wet dream, as a big guy who can move. Well, before the steroid trials.

I'm guessing the reason he's never worked for WWE is because there's no way he'd pass a wellness test. While he's really agile for a guy that big, I also get a Tom Magee vibe from him. Sometimes, he looks good, but at other times, he looks.... fake? I remember seeing Magee work a match (I can't find the video now) where it looked like a rehearsal of someone doing wrestling moves - no contact, no acting, no anything. I haven't seen many Cage matches, but he looks similar in the few I've seen. I don't need to see guys working stiff, but it should look real.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

What do people think of Brian Cage?

He seems like Vince's wet dream, as a big guy who can move. Well, before the steroid trials.

I'm guessing the reason he's never worked for WWE is because there's no way he'd pass a wellness test. While he's really agile for a guy that big, I also get a Tom Magee vibe from him. Sometimes, he looks good, but at other times, he looks.... fake? I remember seeing Magee work a match (I can't find the video now) where it looked like a rehearsal of someone doing wrestling moves - no contact, no acting, no anything. I haven't seen many Cage matches, but he looks similar in the few I've seen. I don't need to see guys working stiff, but it should look real.

I like Cage because he does the scary power guy thing real well

Kinda like Lesnar with less amateur credentials but less gross baggage and more love for wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Cage signed a WWE developmental deal like 10-12 years ago, but left/was released after a year. So either he didn't like it or they didn't like him enough.