Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1267732904458756096?s=20

I think you can probably guess the tone of most of the replies

#AllLivesMatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
like there are plenty of good shows exploring how the police are corrupt motherfuckers top to bottom but they don't exactly tend to be all that funny

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tempted to go onto the wiki and add 'B99 takes place in an alternate reality version of earth, easily proven by the existence of non-poo poo cops'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Wire had its moments.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
e: I always used to wonder how people got quote and edit confused and now I've done it twice in like two days

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 2, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So much for UKIP’s first good tweet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ms Adequate posted:

B99 hurts me because it's copoganda while also being one of the best shows on TV :(

Half the shows I watch are some sort of cop bullshit. Homicide, the hundred different Law & Orders, that dumb Bones show. I'm pretty sure it's a) cop shows are a simple way to do mystery stories/whodunnits & b) it's one of the few types of shows you don't have to watch the entire series to follow it. Sometimes I just want a monster of the week story, tune in for 1 episode, forget all about it. Which if you told me would be my opinion a decade ago I'd not have believed you. Stuff like Breaking Bad & Game of Thrones broke the serialised drama for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ms Adequate posted:

B99 hurts me because it's copoganda while also being one of the best shows on TV :(

The way I reconcile it is that B99 is (largely) a show about what cops are *supposed to be* but occasionally acknowledges what they *actually are*.

I.e., it's mostly about detectives solving crimes (well, it's mostly a comedy soap opera that happens to be set in a police station), but occasionally acknowledges that cops are almost exclusively NOT detectives solving crimes.

But it really sucks that Scrubs but in a police station and scrubs in a hospital came in the order they did, because they;'re basically the same show made a decade apart, and I wish to god Scrubs had been the one that happened to be made now.

Albeit, Scrubs is still about America's utter horror show of a medical system, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I am a huge fan of B99 at least partly because Rosa's coming out story was a big part of the inspiration for me coming to terms with my own sexuality and coming out as much as I have done, so it's pleasing at least to find out that Stephanie Beatriz is Not A poo poo.

B99 is much, much worse *because* it's set in NYC and the NYPD have historically been among the worse abusers in the US policing system.

Sometimes good things are made about poo poo subjects.

Maybe good things SHOULD be made about poo poo subjects, if they're made in a way to point out the shitness of the subjects and how they should actually be?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah looking back on Scrubs for a basic early 2000s sitcom it really took a strong stand on the US healthcare system. I want to see more of that in my disposable comedy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

Half the shows I watch are some sort of cop bullshit. Homicide, the hundred different Law & Orders, that dumb Bones show. I'm pretty sure it's a) cop shows are a simple way to do mystery stories/whodunnits & b) it's one of the few types of shows you don't have to watch the entire series to follow it. Sometimes I just want a monster of the week story, tune in for 1 episode, forget all about it. Which if you told me would be my opinion a decade ago I'd not have believed you. Stuff like Breaking Bad & Game of Thrones broke the serialised drama for me.

The best whodunnit is House, because it doesn't need cops, and the bad guys are germs :colbert:

Also anyone who hasn't watched the Shield should watch the Shield. I only learned recently it was based on, and almost called after, the Rampart scandal

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can take a stance on the inhumanity of the american healthcare system and still portray your protagonists sympathetically, as the individual doctor isn't to blame for the utter nightmare US healthcare is. However, the state of US police departments is directly to blame on the individual cops, so it's impossible to portray it well and take a stance on it at the same time as making your cast full of good people the audience wants to root for.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My hatred of the American police and my love of the hardboiled alcoholic American detective trope pose an ideological contradiction inside of me that I don't think will ever be resolved.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

stev posted:

Yeah looking back on Scrubs for a basic early 2000s sitcom it really took a strong stand on the US healthcare system. I want to see more of that in my disposable comedy.

Scrubs did pretty well at the time for racial and gender representation, but has aged really poorly on other representation, particularly queer representation (it realy didn't have many queer characters at all, and its only coming out story that I can remember was The Todd which was handled... not great...), but was otherwise generally good and usually made it pretty obvious how poo poo the system is.

But like B99, it could definitely have done more to explicitly say 'no the system is terrible, we just happen to be working in it'. I suspect they wanted to, like I suspect B99 wants to, but were held back by a mix between network executives and the simple awareness that people wouldn't accept being told how poo poo things actually are.

E: I'd love to see more non-cop whodunnits though - and not just the Miss Marple type ones, but like, more imaginative settings. Gimme a whodunnit set in like, ancient Rome, or prehistoric Africa, or on a pirate ship, or... etc.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

XMNN posted:

I think you can probably guess the tone of most of the replies
I thought that
https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeTeddybur/status/1267833416990576642
was a concise and effective rebuttal to an apparently good faith ALM post. Just doesn't have quite the emphasis of
https://mobile.twitter.com/chicagospurs/status/1267775288483741698

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem with making the police the good guys is that people see that and project it onto the actual police.

It's broadly the same issue with representing say, the monarchy, as good, well meaning, sympathetic people. Because the actual monarchy is a massive wealth extracting nonce club, and it's a massive wealth extracting nonce club because it's the monarchy, its structure makes it that thing, the two are inseperable.

Whether it's your intent or not, if you take an image of an idealized concept of what you wish a thing was, and then put it on a screen for millions to see, you're making propaganda. You can't make that and then go "oh well but I expected everyone to realise this was literally the opposite of reality"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

My hatred of the American police and my love of the hardboiled alcoholic American detective trope pose an ideological contradiction inside of me that I don't think will ever be resolved.

Solution; watch Comrade Detective

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

I have watched Comrade Detective and so should everybody else. I don't think I took it in the way it was intended though, lol.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

feedmegin posted:

Not an emptyquote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Came here to post this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Noir is usually about the police (and authority figures in general) being corrupt, brutal shitheads, though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobstar posted:

The best whodunnit is House, because it doesn't need cops, and the bad guys are germs :colbert:

Also anyone who hasn't watched the Shield should watch the Shield. I only learned recently it was based on, and almost called after, the Rampart scandal

Yeah, House is the sort of mindless rot I can watch and the only shame is it's not repeated endlessly on Freeview after 10pm, unlike the other shows I watch. Because 10pm is about when I park myself in front of the telly for a couple hours before bed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

E: I'd love to see more non-cop whodunnits though - and not just the Miss Marple type ones, but like, more imaginative settings. Gimme a whodunnit set in like, ancient Rome, or prehistoric Africa, or on a pirate ship, or... etc.

Here are a few.

Cadfael

Name of the Rose

Agatha Christie wrote a whodunnit set in Ancient Egypt "Death comes as the end".

Edward Marston's done a few series, not very demanding, but enjoyable. There's his Elizabethan Theatre (sometimes called the Nicholas Bracewell series) based on an Elizabethan acting troupe operating out of London (though they do go walkies sometimes) - you can pick it up anywhere, he repeats the salient points so you don't miss anything really by not reading in order, also his Railway Detective series. There are another couple of series he's done which I haven't tried.

Peter Tremayne Sister Fidelma series (1st century nun) - haven't read these but have read one of his non-fiction books about Celtic Women (as author Peter Berresford Ellis).

Bernard Knight - Crowner's Quest series (medieval coroner - Crowner)

Detective shows with someone coming out chat:

I think the Dalziel & Pascoe episode where Wieldy 'comes out' is not it's finest hour. It was repeated last week and I couldn't bear to watch it. (It was made in 1998 though).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 2, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd love to see more non-cop whodunnits though - and not just the Miss Marple type ones, but like, more imaginative settings. Gimme a whodunnit set in like, ancient Rome, or prehistoric Africa, or on a pirate ship, or... etc.

just play return of the obra dinn imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If anyone wants a daft little series to watch, try Ikea Heights. 7 episodes, all around 4-5 mins long. It was filmed in an Ikea store (without permission).

Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9gkYw35Vws

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Noir is usually about the police (and authority figures in general) being corrupt, brutal shitheads, though.

Kinda, but it's usually the noble, good-hearted hero cop fallen on bad times and broken by a system he (and yes, it is almost always a he) can't change. Noir tends to emphasise cynical corruption in the police in their relationships with other powerful political and criminal organisations, and it shows the total hopelessness of individuals coming up against structural issues quite well, but it usually paints the 'cop' heroically as a abstract idea, in the sense that the protagonist is the 'only real cop' left. I don't think I've ever seen a Noir film critically address racial issues tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the shield is the best cop show because its the most realistic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao murdoch's radio station times radio announced its line up today and

https://twitter.com/ZoeJardiniere/status/1267896423472861184?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think they've ever been made into TV, only radio, but what you're looking for are Lindsey Davis' Falco books

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 2, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i loving hate this oval office

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1267896049072562177?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hamish MacBeth is the best police programme, as it documents one policeman's intense interest in maintaining the current criminal status quo that benefits him and his friends above and beyond the economic and structural needs of the community

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Best police procedural is Touch of Cloth and it’s associated sequels

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Agatha Raisin chaps and chapesses

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:colbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Marmaduke! posted:

Agatha Raisin chaps and chapesses
I see your Agatha Raisin and raise you Mrs. Pargeter.

Widow of a criminal mastermind whose career she knew nothing about when he was alive - but when he died he left her a gift of an address book of all the (highly skilled and almost unanimously devoted) people he mentored and trained as part of his organisation. She uses this network of contacts to solve crimes.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Reading Twitter today has reminded me that the UK is also just insanely racist.

No empathy or perspective in these people crying about “Londonistan” and calling people animals and savages.

They all look the same and repeat the same few sound bites of bullshit, I mean I shouldn’t be surprised but it’s just so, so depressing.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fresh new thread needs a brand new pod, freshly defrosted for your convenience!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1267915638401613825?s=19

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

This is basically the correct answer

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Check out Dead Still for non-standard detectiving. Only seen the first episode but it's a Victorian Irish corpse photographer solving mysteries which you don't see every day.

E: obviously if you haven't seen every episode of Columbo at least three times you should get on that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1267919803962064897?s=21

Holy poo poo. Anyone with decent MPs, call them. Get them screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The government is literally covering up the causes of excessive non-white deaths in Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1267911924571877376?s=20