Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm sure they'll add new bosses in the future and maybe new campaigns too. The game writer did an AMA on the subreddit recently and he was kinda clammy about some questions (like possible playable Clipped faction, a prequel campaign, etc) so I'm sure they have content planned already.

e: speaking of, I love how much lore there is in the game, if you look at the card and artifact flavor texts, even if we don't see it directly in the campaign itself. The Melting Remnant faction in particular seems very well thought out with social hierarchies and ideologies revolving around their ever-reforming states.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Has anyone got any tips for the "10 cards or less" achievement?

Get a broken spell with Holdover and just enough fatties, purge everything else. Also do it at C0 so you don't have the five extra cards in your deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

Get a broken spell with Holdover and just enough fatties, purge everything else. Also do it at C0 so you don't have the five extra cards in your deck.

Does this count? :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Does this count? :toot:

Yeah, Sentient is good at eating people all by himself. Even better with the regen/spikes buff and anything that multiplies Spike damage. I won once with Spiky Boy 3, two of the guy that adds 1 to spikes, and a Holdover/+10 Rest Det. The only drawback is if something gets past his floor, you need something to stop it reaching the Pyre.

Also I forgot that you don't need Holdover much outside the early game as you draw your spell every turn anyway, so just buff it to the hilt if you have five spells or less.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

memento mori

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How are people finding build variety in this game? While the specific creatures and keywords to accomplish it can vary, it feels like what I'm doing in 90% of my runs can be reduced to 'put some OP mods on 1-2 units, get 1+ decent buff spells, juice to high heaven'. Sometimes those buff cards are morsels, sometimes they're green spells, sometimes they're reform nonsense stuff, but the core strategy feels like the same either way. The only exception is the rare spelldamage deck, but I'm not sure how viable it is on higher difficulties (I'm still just on 7 myself). It just feels really weird how every run seems to start by trying to get a decent unit to throw some unfair creature upgrades onto and then that's the basis of your whole run.

I'm finding myself honestly wishing card upgrades weren't a thing so I'd actually have to try and use strategy and feel clever to win instead (although granted I'm not sure the game is winnable without them). I wish they were more about changing how the card plays, but the only upgrades that comes to mind that does that are the two spell upgrades that interact with consume, and even then it's not that big a change generally in my experience, it's just a straight buff to remove consume and usually I just add consume to poo poo in lieu of actually getting it removed from my deck. Something like upgrading a spell to add *X to its cost and it does X times its effect, or one that combines the cost and effect of two cards (maybe even unit and spell!) or whatever.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 2, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm trying to climb covenant ranks and yeah especially on clans like umbra it seems like you just have to converge on some permutation of that idea or you just get crushed. There's definitely a handful of cards that can get you there but the basic idea doesn't vary too much imo.

That said, I think a better player than me could probably do more fun things and still win. I'm on 16 but I mostly win by hoping to fill in the formula of 'core unit + good scaling upgrades/spells.' Like, all my umbra wins involve the lifesteal crucible guy.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
For me all the clans have very set strategies so it all ends up very similar. With 5 variations of course.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Buller posted:

For me all the clans have very set strategies so it all ends up very similar. With 5 variations of course.

Eh, some enable some wildly different synergies. Like Umbra/Awoken plays really different from Umbra/Melted in practice.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zore posted:

Eh, some enable some wildly different synergies. Like Umbra/Awoken plays really different from Umbra/Melted in practice.

I just feel like that's all about Awoken, I don't have as much experience with the melty boys as the rest so I won't judge them too harshly (still got a couple cards to unlock) and they are a bit more different in playstyle with reform and burnout but still super unit-centric. But the other three just feel SO similar in how they play in practice for me, with exception that I care more about floor space with Umbra which is nice. But it's still mostly just about figuring out how you're gonna set up relatively early on (generally around ring 4 in my experience) and then I end up just kinda doing the same thing every fight from that point on anyway.

E: Also stacking units with ascend/descend into a murderball will work with all the factions if you have access to the cards that let you, though you do need units that generate morsels rather than morsel spells I guess.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
I do love the little lore bits attached to each cards and artifacts, I even set that on in options to read them while in the game since that is not on by default.

Seems the writer of them is the "False Prophet" guy in the big block of ice in one of the cavern event that made the rail and the covenant, since one of the item there is a locket of his daughter, the blackmsith and another one is the book in which they are written, probably.

There's a fair amount written about Fel, but I haven't really found anything that explains why Seraph did the whole covenant betrayal and invasion of hell thing. Boss dialogues for him and Fel does hint that it had to be done because of an unstated reason but I can't find any reference about it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Sometimes the game just wants you to win. First artifact was the one that summons 4 units into the middle floor, so of course I eventually drew the 200/150 Umbra unit and slapped multistrike and quick on it.

EDIT: Got a +60% modifier for killing the guy way before he was supposed to enter.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 2, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally figured out how to make Hellhorned good as primary. Turns out the X+3 artifact plus a couple copies of the X rage/armor spell does just fine, especially with the upgrade that doubles its multiplier. Gonna try to get one win with each combo as Hellhorned so I can then drop it for good.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Eschatos posted:

Finally figured out how to make Hellhorned good as primary. Turns out the X+3 artifact plus a couple copies of the X rage/armor spell does just fine, especially with the upgrade that doubles its multiplier. Gonna try to get one win with each combo as Hellhorned so I can then drop it for good.

But you gotta do it at Covenant 25!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I just feel like that's all about Awoken, I don't have as much experience with the melty boys as the rest so I won't judge them too harshly (still got a couple cards to unlock) and they are a bit more different in playstyle with reform and burnout but still super unit-centric. But the other three just feel SO similar in how they play in practice for me, with exception that I care more about floor space with Umbra which is nice. But it's still mostly just about figuring out how you're gonna set up relatively early on (generally around ring 4 in my experience) and then I end up just kinda doing the same thing every fight from that point on anyway.

E: Also stacking units with ascend/descend into a murderball will work with all the factions if you have access to the cards that let you, though you do need units that generate morsels rather than morsel spells I guess.

It's unit-centric because that's the name of the game I guess. It's a tower defense game in card form, and it's just a staple of that genre to have "buildings" and their upgrades. But while yeah in the end most factions want to "put their OP unit down" the units are still cards in a deck. This is a deckbuilding game first, and the way the decks between each faction works is definitely quite different. Awoken has draw power, Umbra has mana manipulation cards, Remnants utilize the "graveyard", and so on, and then you cross the clans and get different synergies.

Spell Damage decks can also work at higher Covenants; I just finished a Melting/Stygian run where I started with a bunch of high-damage 3-cost spells, couldn't find Draffs or good Burnout cards but found a Spell Weakness Sweeper midrun and decided that's my best bet of winning the final fight. I didn't have any big units besides the Burnout champ who's not soloing anything, just relied on getting enough Spell Weakness stacks on the boss. Another time with Umbra/Hellhorned, I couldn't find a good Gorger early on, so I had to put Multistrike on a Morselmaster and duplicated those as my main DPS, and since I had the damage shield morsels artifact, I used the copied morsels as tanks more than buffers, even if some morsels die instead of getting eaten.

So like sure in the end I put the units on the board every run, but there are a lot of deckbuilding decisions along the way and the card and artifact interactions in each clan combination can be wildly different, and that's part of the fun fot me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I unlocked Umbra. It took me four tries to win with Umbra/Hellhorned. I don't think I like Umbra, they feel like a crapload of setup for middling returns.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I started up an Umbra run just now and I guess Penumbra got buffed? The Gorge path starts with 2 Lifesteal that it didn't have before and the Trample path starts with more stats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I started up an Umbra run just now and I guess Penumbra got buffed? The Gorge path starts with 2 Lifesteal that it didn't have before and the Trample path starts with more stats.

They buffed both the Penumbra and the Hellhorned champs. More stats in general for both, Hellhorned gets some innate armor so the multi attack version doesn't get as wrecked by spikes etc

Its in the patch notes on the main menu

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Yeah with Umbra I've have some really punishing starts. On the other hand, getting an Overgorger and one of the morsel summoners early on feels like a free win.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I really want to be 100% on board with this game, but it sucks how you can start runs that can barely get past the first stage because your deck is stuffed with worthless enablers with no payoffs (stuff like the Stygian draw one/discard one, etc.). I don't think it would cut into the variety too much to give you a certain number of individual card rerolls at the start of each run to weed out dead cards, because as it stands I feel the need to just hit the reset button until I get a halfway decent pool.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bad metaphors posted:

praise snecko

Snecko? What is Snecko? Is volatile gauge sneko? Is it because of the snake monster in StS that does the same thing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Snecko? What is Snecko? Is volatile gauge sneko? Is it because of the snake monster in StS that does the same thing?

Yes, the Snecko eye is an artifact in StS that randomizes card cost and gives +2 draw per turn much like Volatile Gauge does in MT

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Squashing Machine posted:

I really want to be 100% on board with this game, but it sucks how you can start runs that can barely get past the first stage because your deck is stuffed with worthless enablers with no payoffs (stuff like the Stygian draw one/discard one, etc.). I don't think it would cut into the variety too much to give you a certain number of individual card rerolls at the start of each run to weed out dead cards, because as it stands I feel the need to just hit the reset button until I get a halfway decent pool.

Draw and discard 1 is great regardless of whether or not you have offering cards. It just sends it over the top once you do get them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Draw and discard 1 is great regardless of whether or not you have offering cards. It just sends it over the top once you do get them.

You are effectively drawing 1 fewer card per turn so if you aren't getting offering synergy then it is actively detrimental to have in your deck. By itself it does nothing and then replaces itself with the draw 1, putting you in the exact same place that you would be without it. But then you are also forced to lose a card with the discard 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Nah. Prepared in Slay the Spire was never good, although the upgraded version can be. Here, it's only useful with Offerings.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Got volatile gauge as the first artifact. Board at end of turn 1 on the final boss:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

In StS a game-winning deck feels like something I put together using small, incremental upgrades to piece together a successively more powerful, more tightly-tuned deck. In this a game-winning deck feels like I stumbled across a few cards that combo together and then loaded them down with upgrades and copy effects until I have a something with no semblance of balance that I can run into the loving ground.

That's not to say that you can't build broken combo decks in StS, but it's not that common. The scaling of enemies and card upgrades in Monster Train make it feel like you HAVE to identify a narrow, synergistic card combination at some point in the midgame, and from then on all your upgrades have to be in service to that one combo. And there's only so many combos supported by the card pool and mechanics available, so in the end it feels like most decks have the same structure, even if the specifics are different across runs.

At least that's how it feels to me. I'm only up to C5 or so and haven't even unlocked the last faction yet so I still have a lot of game to play, but I just don't think I like the way they've designed the balance in the game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You're forgetting about the other important part about offering token, incant synergy. I've had a decent number of high covenant runs now that get carried by a multistrike Nameless Siren. Most of the discard/offering cards for the Stygians are good.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Mr. Peepers posted:

At least that's how it feels to me. I'm only up to C5 or so and haven't even unlocked the last faction yet so I still have a lot of game to play, but I just don't think I like the way they've designed the balance in the game.
I agree but I think the broken balance is fun if you're playing it casually. I can see how playing back to back runs would be frustrating when some are cakewalks and some are obvious death spirals after a few card drafts.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Part of it is the games are just shorter. Slay the spire has way more fights / floors so of course there's more time to let you develop slowly.

I honestly like the faster pace of this game though. One hour per run feels like a sweet spot length.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Also this has nothing to do with anything but it weirds me out enemies moving sequentially through a train is styled as them climbing one single really tall train car.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Vargs posted:

You are effectively drawing 1 fewer card per turn so if you aren't getting offering synergy then it is actively detrimental to have in your deck. By itself it does nothing and then replaces itself with the draw 1, putting you in the exact same place that you would be without it. But then you are also forced to lose a card with the discard 1.

Do you always play every single card you draw? If not, it's improved card selection for very little cost.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Calling Marilyn vos Savant into this thread.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Eschatos posted:

Do you always play every single card you draw? If not, it's improved card selection for very little cost.

That's not really how that works? The card you draw with offering token is the card you would have gotten if offering token wasn't in your deck. Stygian has both incant and offering cards though, so offering token is very good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Einwand posted:

That's not really how that works? The card you draw with offering token is the card you would have gotten if offering token wasn't in your deck. Stygian has both incant and offering cards though, so offering token is very good.
It also feeds incant triggers, which can be good or bad.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wanna push back against the Umbra hate, shoving Morsels into one of the units with Gorge +Lifesteal or +DamageShield can basically make an unkillable unit. I think the consistent strategy is really to focus on completely juicing up a single floor who can kill the boss 100%, and then just finding enough useful combinations to soften up the little guys so they don't do too much damage to your Ember. The big thing I've realized is that for most clans, the Champion is not actually part of your boss slaughter floor, and should instead be in some kind of utility role. In my Awoken/Umbra run, I had the +30 thorns Champion just sit and tank on the first floor with another sweep unit to deal aoe damage to every unit so my next level up would clean up the remains and get bonus stacks for killing enemies and also eating. To that end, Hellhorn/Awoken have skills that let you move up/down floors which lets you ignore the size cost limits and make a much more effective murder room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I'm honestly shocked they buffed Umbra because I thought they were probably the second strongest faction after Melted. I have by far my highest winrate with them too.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Non-Architect Penumbra felt kinda bad to play before, so while the rest of their cards may be good enough to "compensate" buffing the champ will make it more fun to play regardless.

The Architect one's gotta be even more nuts now though, I already thought it was maybe the second or third strongest champ variant overall.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Feels like buffs just to ease the frustration of Penumbra getting immediately minced by weenies / Hellhorned suiciding on spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Eschatos posted:

It is literally not. You get to see the exact same cards that you would if you did not have Offering Token in your deck, except you have to discard one. The act of drawing Offering Token takes up one of your natural draws, canceling out the benefit of the +1 from playing the card. So all your are left with is discard 1.

The identical card in StS throws a lot of people off the same way. Every new player I've ever seen stream the game falls into that trap.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 3, 2020