Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

BBJoey posted:

thank you for your advice. to ensure i do not look like an rear end, can you clarify how long "this moment" will last for? i do not want to speak out of turn.

Just a little longer, I promise. But don't call us -- we'll call you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

BBJoey posted:

thank you for your advice. to ensure i do not look like an rear end, can you clarify how long "this moment" will last for? i do not want to speak out of turn.

I have no time-frame for how long these protests go for. But you'll be happy to know that I cannot stop you from speaking over their voices if you choose to.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Pleasant Friend is still holding a minute's silence for Andrew Bolt's 18C conviction and nobody told him the minute was over

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

Pleasant Friend is still holding a minute's silence for Andrew Bolt's 18C conviction and nobody told him the minute was over

I was giving you the benefit of doubt but it sounds mostly like you just don't give a poo poo about African American voices or experiences. Maybe this is why they wanted the moment to focus solely on themselves?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tell me, what do you think the Auspol thread should be discussing, and how, and for how long?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

This thread loving sucks poo poo. I was right to stay away for several months. Bye.
You know you can just leave instead of announcing it right?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum Shart posted:

How many aboriginal deaths in custody is ok to you?

Thank you for this nuanced analysis. Because I do not agree that law enforcement is inherently wrong or that all cops can be fairly characterised as bastards, I must ipso facto be A-OK with police abuse. Nice avatar btw.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

At the very least I think its tone deaf for any white person at this point in time to amplify any other message.

I did some some posts on facebook from POC concerned that some of the protests that were being organised in Australia had no connection to any Aboriginal groups, I think that is a concern as well white people taking a opportunity to make an issue about them is unsurprising but dumb. However any marginalised group should be absolutely making the most of the rare moment (post reported being attacked ofcourse) that the media and public may give a poo poo about anything to do with inequality.

If some migrant workers on rather rightless visa classes can use the current media focus to help them with exploitation/violence at work then fuckit why shouldn't they. That opportunity certainly isn't going to come up when the national debate switches to whether or not we should give big business a big tax cut or a bigger tax cut.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Peter Dutton was/is a cop

ACAB

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

what percentage of a murder's time is spent committing murders?

(hint: it doesn't loving matter, any amount of racist violence is too much for a police officer to perform)

feels like it's more than the slogan bothering this guy, tbh.

I concur. I also believe the NSW cop who assaulted that kid should be stripped of his badge and charged. The other cops who went along with it should be disciplined. The guy who killed Floyd should go to prison for murder.

The slogan bothers me because I find it particularly representative of a very common lazy, reactionary, black-and-white 160-character internet shitposting view of the world. (And yes, I realise I'm on SA). There are actually really interesting conversations to have around police abolition, criminal justice reforms, alternative law enforcement, and an edgelord acronym (co-opted from loving skinhead gangs!) is a tedious and insulting way to approach it.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

freebooter posted:

There are actually really interesting conversations to have around police abolition, criminal justice reforms, alternative law enforcement, and an acronym is a good start

Yeah

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

VOTE1 posted:

I did some some posts on facebook from POC concerned that some of the protests that were being organised in Australia had no connection to any Aboriginal groups, I think that is a concern as well white people taking a opportunity to make an issue about them is unsurprising but dumb. However any marginalised group should be absolutely making the most of the rare moment (post reported being attacked ofcourse) that the media and public may give a poo poo about anything to do with inequality.

If some migrant workers on rather rightless visa classes can use the current media focus to help them with exploitation/violence at work then fuckit why shouldn't they. That opportunity certainly isn't going to come up when the national debate switches to whether or not we should give big business a big tax cut or a bigger tax cut.

You make some very good points. The most important thing white people in America (and Australia) can do right now is shut up and let black voices lead (besides maybe donate actual money/resources).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Freebooter when you hear "ACAB" do you think people most mean that literally every single cop ever is a wife beating power tripping sociopath?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

You make some very good points. The most important thing white people in America (and Australia) can do right now is shut up and let black voices lead (besides maybe donate actual money/resources).

I'm sorry that I didn't provide you with a more palatable out earlier, but white silence is a problematic concept to say the least, please tell me you see this

"I'm sorry, I don't talk about race issues -- I'm white. I'll leave that to other people to worry about"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Where is bb when we need them?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sulla Faex posted:

Freebooter when you hear "ACAB" do you think people most mean that literally every single cop ever is a wife beating power tripping sociopath?

well, thats what i mean when i say it

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

well, thats what i mean when i say it

I know but I don't like overextended arguments that can be dismissed rather than analysed just by finding one example that runs counter to it. The problem is systemic, it's not just a collection of "bad apples"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sulla Faex posted:

Yes? I think you're in the minority if you think ACAB means something more nuanced.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You can literally put "what does ACAB mean" into a search engine and find multiple articles on the front page talking about how it's more nuanced than that ?

I don't know how you'd go about quantifying majorities but the concept is absolutely not just something that appeared on a single tweet from 2015, never to be seen again

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

all cops aren't benevolent

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't provide you with a more palatable out earlier, but white silence is a problematic concept to say the least, please tell me you see this

"I'm sorry, I don't talk about race issues -- I'm white. I'll leave that to other people to worry about"

Yeah, shutting up is not like, not not speaking, its amplifying black voices.

What you say is true, and aboriginals deserve full justice now, they shouldn't have to 'wait their turn'. But respecting the wishes and feelings of African Americans is a pretty big deal too, so this situation is very nuanced, and I don't feel qualified making comments on the situation beyond trying to repeat the views I've seen expressed by black voices.

And I'm sorry if I replied before with unneeded hostility.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ungulateman posted:

i mean, has anybody actually...asked what black americans think about police brutality in australia? because i expect they wouldn't like it, and not have a problem with bilateral support to and from america and australia about it, because they're not loving morons

Why would you ask any Americans about what they think of stuff happening in Australia? They don't learn about the world outside our country like we do.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

You can literally put "what does ACAB mean" into a search engine and find multiple articles on the front page talking about how it's more nuanced than that ?

I don't know how you'd go about quantifying majorities but the concept is absolutely not just something that appeared on a single tweet from 2015, never to be seen again

Sure, for some people. But there are others who literally mean "I think every cop is an abusive dickhole". Like with prison abolitionists. There are some people who mean a more nuanced take when they say "close prisons", but there are plenty out there who mean the literal thing they're saying.

If you doubt it, hop on over to the GBS or CSPAM threads and ask if they're being literal or using it as shorthand for a nuanced point.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
kill whitey

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Don’t make dav tap the thread title

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, shutting up is not like, not not speaking, its amplifying black voices.

What you say is true, and aboriginals deserve full justice now, they shouldn't have to 'wait their turn'. But respecting the wishes and feelings of African Americans is a pretty big deal too, so this situation is very nuanced, and I don't feel qualified making comments on the situation beyond trying to repeat the views I've seen expressed by black voices.

Understood, and I agree, but I take issue with telling indigenous Australians to wait their turn. They've been waiting a pretty long time

It's really loving hard to get normal people to give a poo poo about any of this, you can't just turn it on and off

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Sure, for some people. But there are others who literally mean "I think every cop is an abusive dickhole". Like with prison abolitionists. There are some people who mean a more nuanced take when they say "close prisons", but there are plenty out there who mean the literal thing they're saying.

If you doubt it, hop on over to the GBS or CSPAM threads and ask if they're being literal or using it as shorthand for a nuanced point.

I'm not saying some people don't believe this, or even a large number of people, but I really don't know about a majority. A lot of people are firmly anti-vaccination but I wouldn't say the majority of the human race feels that way

And from memory they were saying that ACAB is inherently wrong - but specifically choosing the more extreme interpretation of the meaning in order to make it easier to reject

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

freebooter posted:

I concur. I also believe the NSW cop who assaulted that kid should be stripped of his badge and charged. The other cops who went along with it should be disciplined. The guy who killed Floyd should go to prison for murder.

The slogan bothers me because I find it particularly representative of a very common lazy, reactionary, black-and-white 160-character internet shitposting view of the world. (And yes, I realise I'm on SA). There are actually really interesting conversations to have around police abolition, criminal justice reforms, alternative law enforcement, and an edgelord acronym (co-opted from loving skinhead gangs!) is a tedious and insulting way to approach it.

it's a phrase that dates to at least the 1920s and the thing about it being a skinhead slogan is that only the ADL claims that and they can gently caress off because they're an organization dedicated to protecting the good name of the fascist state of Israel against criticism.

further, it's impossible to have a nuanced conversation about policing in an environment where the police are free to murder and injure anyone who criticizes them or even attempts to report on their misbehavior! until all cops stop supporting each other in their criminal enterprise I see no reason to distinguish between them.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/1267978220814479360?s=19
Oh God this take ssssuuuucks

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ACAB is mostly to improve the chances that a jury will take the side of the arsehole kid that abused a cop and come to meet with some smashed teeth when he fell over.

Unions exist because a lot of bosses are bastards, Unions have limited impact when the bosses are good. ACAB has no impact when police are fair and seen by all strata's of society as a source of protection.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 3, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Not being a bastard means standing up to bastards and holding them to account instead of protecting them

If you start doing that, they stop letting you be a cop.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

ACAB is mostly to improve the chances that a jury will take the side of the arsehole kid that abused a cop and come to meet with some smashed teeth when he fell over.

Unions exist because a lot bosses are bastards, Unions have limited impact when the bosses are good. ACAB has no impact when police are fair and seen by all strata's of society as a source of protection.

wow gently caress you you piece of poo poo

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm not saying some people don't believe this, or even a large number of people, but I really don't know about a majority. A lot of people are firmly anti-vaccination but I wouldn't say the majority of the human race feels that way

And from memory they were saying that ACAB is inherently wrong - but specifically choosing the more extreme interpretation of the meaning in order to make it easier to reject

I don't really disagree with anything you're saying, I just think "do you think people are being literal when they say it?" is a weak gotcha, since for a lot of people (as far as I can tell), the answer is sincerely "yes". Or maybe it's the forums skewing reality again, since they lean way more left than general society, and maybe goons shouldn't be taken as generally representative of society.

They shouldn't, in politics or any other area.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

thatbastardken posted:

wow gently caress you you piece of poo poo

Ahh, I'm going to assume you took the first sentence literally and on re-reading that I can totally get that. My "arsehole" and "come to meet with" are reference to how the authorities consistently change the details/narrative of a story to muddy the water of who is in the wrong.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Ahh, I'm going to assume you took the first sentence literally and on re-reading that I can totally get that. My "arsehole" and "come to meet with" are reference to how the authorities consistently change the details/narrative of a story to muddy the water of who is in the wrong.

ah. well, i retract that statement. you're going to have to wear the red text though, sorry.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

He blocked me because he linked to a story about a guy being arrested for breaching Covid laws with ‘its because he’s brown’

I mentioned to him in the story it indicates he’d been warned four different times to stay at home as he’d just returned from Iran.

But it’s because he was brown, so. :shrug:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

lol remember when the NT had a plan to give assault rifles to police patrols to stop "youth crime"

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Pleasant Friend posted:

I didn't hear you saying ACAB when those four cops were flattened in Melbourne

I would tell you how I really feel about those four good cops but I'm pretty sure ASIO is reading this thread.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah, we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

freebooter posted:

Thank you for this nuanced analysis. Because I do not agree that law enforcement is inherently wrong or that all cops can be fairly characterised as bastards, I must ipso facto be A-OK with police abuse. Nice avatar btw.

Good to see you understand Disco Elysium as much as ACAB then dipshit