Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Prince John posted:

I had just finished reading this spectator article about how white, privileged, antifa are taking over the BLM protestors.

I was scoffing at it and then immediately stumbled across this video:

https://twitter.com/s_Allahverdi/status/1267240521052946432

In which a white person with a hammer is smashing up the pavement to pick up chunks to throw at the police, and the predominantly black protestors then promptly take him ("it's the white people!", "get the white people!") and then hand him over to the police.

Which makes me wonder is this actually a thing? Is there some supplanting of black voices in favour of peaceful protest going on in the US, or was it just a massive coincidence that I appeared to randomly land on a confirmatory tweet?

Doucette posted a video of a white woman painting slogans while laughing and joking with the police. I'm sure there is some 'false flag' work going on too. I mean how do you prove someone is 'antifa' or an interloper? Bit like on twitter - how do you know if people are who they say they are or an agitator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are big buggers with a proboscis I'd say they're 3-4 x bigger than the midges.

Just make sure you leave the craneflies alone, they're harmless.

e: Excellent :)
vvvv

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Just make sure you leave the craneflies alone, they're harmless.

None of those in the audience tonight. I'm not planning on killing the creatures, just repelling them. Need some pipistrelle bats. Apparently they can eat 3000 midges in one night.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crane flies might not be dangerous but they're extremely uncooperative when you try to deport them out the back door. Like mate, there's nobody to gently caress and nothing to eat in here, go home.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Prince John posted:

I had just finished reading this spectator article about how white, privileged, antifa are taking over the BLM protestors.

In which a white person with a hammer is smashing up the pavement to pick up chunks to throw at the police, and the predominantly black protestors then promptly take him ("it's the white people!", "get the white people!") and then hand him over to the police.

Which makes me wonder is this actually a thing? Is there some supplanting of the black voices that are in favour of peaceful protest going on in the US, or was it just a massive coincidence that I appeared to randomly land on a confirmatory tweet?

I've been following the riot thread in GBS and I really can't believe how many instances like this have been caught by people on their phones. It's happening all over the country and it seems to be very methodical

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Prince John posted:

Which makes me wonder is this actually a thing? Is there some supplanting of black voices in favour of peaceful protest going on in the US, or was it just a massive coincidence that I appeared to randomly land on a confirmatory tweet?

There are definitely going to be some more militant groups trying to escalate things, and I'd imagine the venn diagram between them and cosplaying white 'radicals' will be... uneven. I don't even disagree with the notion that things need to be strategically escalated in some fashion because that's how you win, but the way some of these people seem to be approaching it is just asking for avoidable tragedy. I think there's a lot of potential here, but without any leadership and organisation it's difficult to see how this doesn't go the way of other civil unrest in the USA.

Also, there are definitely undercover cops deliberately working to undermine the protesters, and egging them on to destroy stuff is a very easy way to give the police an excuse to come down heavy handed (as if they needed one).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

There may be some, but whenever there's a US BLM protest that has a random white dude saying "throw rocks at the police, it'll be awesome" then there's also a far more common but worse reason with analogs dating back to the Klan involvement in the Tulsa 'race riot' of the 1920s.

There is legitimate Black hurt and anger which is being vented in sometimes violent ways through these protests, but there's also a bunch of people who think it would either be strategically useful for terrible reasons or just lol hilarious to gently caress around with for various ends.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ben Soosneb posted:

I will! Thanks.

I was really enjoying your readings of the marvel films despite having only seen a handful! It reminded me of a pub conversation I once had - Jurassic Park is clearly a lesson against the free-market drive towards deregulation, unfortunately I lost my audience a bit when I started drawing paralles to the classic kids book Dear Zoo .

Think I'm a bit politicedanxietied out at the moment, I guss you do a mix of popculturey stuff and more politicy ones? I'll have a look through.

Also, I'm not sure anyone remembers, but I was asking advice for a friend about a housing situation a few months ago, you (all you thread) were realy helpful and I never came back to say thankyou. So sorry, and thankyou.

bad edit:

Perfect!

I could (and probably will on the pod) talk about Jurassic park for loving hours, I love that poo poo.

Star Wars and MCU are our only two episodes based purely on the politics of entertainment media so far (though there’s also a video games industry episode where we talk about working practices and unionisation efforts), and we’re gonna keep doing them, I’ve been working on a Star Trek hot take for a little while which I’m hopefully gonna get arranged soon, and now you’ve stuck Jurassic Park in my head :v:

Also worth noting that the cast is loving huge and changes from episode to episode, some people coming on for a one off and others as returning cast members of varying frequency, and we’ve had a couple of guests in Nate Bethea from Trashfuture a couple times, and Jack Frayne-Reid from Reel Politik on recently to discuss the leaked labour report.

For those of you less media inclined looking for a news ep, we’ve got one in the planning stages atm about the riots and a recent history of good old homegrown british racism. Should be out by the end of the week. Should.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Crane flies might not be dangerous but they're extremely uncooperative when you try to deport them out the back door.
Yeah, they're so loving wafty.

Guavanaut posted:

There may be some, but whenever there's a US BLM protest that has a random white dude saying "throw rocks at the police, it'll be awesome" then there's also a far more common but worse reason with analogs dating back to the Klan involvement in the Tulsa 'race riot' of the 1920s.

There is legitimate Black hurt and anger which is being vented in sometimes violent ways through these protests, but there's also a bunch of people who think it would either be strategically useful for terrible reasons or just lol hilarious to gently caress around with for various ends.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. Seems to be a whole bunch of it collected in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1266598693647638528

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them might be white people who also, justifiably, hate the cops. The problem is it won't be them that pays for it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Crane flies might not be dangerous but they're extremely uncooperative when you try to deport them out the back door. Like mate, there's nobody to gently caress and nothing to eat in here, go home.

yeah I'm very live and let live when it comes to creepy crawlies (apart from mosquitoes, the little bastards) but if you aren't cooperating and keep flying around my head or loudly banging into a window or something then the gloves are off (unless you're a bee, but they're usually pretty docile IME)

although I did have to repeatedly evict a bunch of mason(?) bees when they kept trying to build a nest between my window frame and the bit that opens, mostly because almost all of their very convenient tunnel would suddenly disappear the moment I opened the window

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Should be out by the end of the week. Should.
:v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i don't have full context for this but someone seems to have convinced high-ups in the LA police to go on a zoom call where members of the public can call in and the results are glorious. do check out the full thread and replies:

https://twitter.com/keywilliamss/status/1267929996430991360

e: the live video is here, it's apparently on break at the moment but still going on after several hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0CKlGj3uI

Angepain fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I know some people here have issues with Brown Moses, but this seems a legit investigation:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/27/the-boogaloo-movement-is-not-what-you-think/

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
If anyone wants a monster of the week that's far too incoherent to be propaganda, I quite enjoyed Fringe. It's batshit and after season 3 the plot is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever sat through but it hits the spot. Biggest criticism would be that they introduce a polyglot savant black woman character and within half a season she's barely a sidekick.

Prince John posted:

Yeah, they're so loving wafty.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. Seems to be a whole bunch of it collected in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1266598693647638528

There's peaceful BLM protests and righteously destructive ones, there's good allies following the lead of experienced BLM organisers and locals and there's wankers throwing molotovs and giving the police the veneer of credibility they crave, there's a shitload of cops being filmed starting fires and smashing windows so their coworkers can start shooting at journalists, there's feds, and just about every white supremacist group you can imagine sewing violence everywhere they can. This is kicking off during the worst economic event to hit working class Americans ever, beyond the great depression. Nobody has anything thing to lose and the police of a fascist state are nakedly attempting to start the race war they've lusted after since they killed MLK. There's no credible evidence that suggests other than that the vast majority of protestors are there for George Floyd and the thousands before him, but this can now only be called an uprising and you can freely discard absolutely every "actually it's just x, not BLM" thinkpiece as morally degenerate crap from a waste of a life. It's like reading the neocons talk about "muslims" as a collective group in any middle eastern conflict - it's so shallow that it's an unforgiveable waste of the calories and electricity it took to type and publish.

Uprisings have gravity, they pull people into their orbit. The only other players that seem to have anything like the size of the actual protest movement are the cop instigators and their innumerate neo-klan allies, the idea that there's an organised radical left in America capable of the largest civil unrest since 1968 is loving laughable. We are witnessing a long deserved attack on a dying, evil ethnostate and every last right wing neck on the planet is stuck out, trying to divide and delegitimise and confuse black anger, because for the first time they fear the rope is coming. Pray for Americans, and pray for the death of America as we know it.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I could (and probably will on the pod) talk about Jurassic park for loving hours, I love that poo poo.

Star Wars and MCU are our only two episodes based purely on the politics of entertainment media so far (though there’s also a video games industry episode where we talk about working practices and unionisation efforts), and we’re gonna keep doing them, I’ve been working on a Star Trek hot take for a little while which I’m hopefully gonna get arranged soon, and now you’ve stuck Jurassic Park in my head :v:

Also worth noting that the cast is loving huge and changes from episode to episode, some people coming on for a one off and others as returning cast members of varying frequency, and we’ve had a couple of guests in Nate Bethea from Trashfuture a couple times, and Jack Frayne-Reid from Reel Politik on recently to discuss the leaked labour report.

For those of you less media inclined looking for a news ep, we’ve got one in the planning stages atm about the riots and a recent history of good old homegrown british racism. Should be out by the end of the week. Should.

I really relate to correct takes on pop culture. It's a good access chat point to take people away from populist-tabloidy-'commonsensey' repeated opinions without being too confrontational or just weird. I think I've done it quite a lot at my local without even realising it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's difficult as a white person to know what the right thing to do is to express support.

For example, I'm seeing on twitter PoC people saying "if you're white don't contact your black friends to ask how they are because you don't really care and it's just performative" (well I do care about my PoC friends and if I ask, I'm genuine in asking - and ok, maybe I didn't contact them for a while but I have quite a few friends I only contact now and then when something kicks off - eg friends in Aus during the fires earlier this year, same as friends are prompted to contact me when they hear of flooding in my area or at various other times in my life eg Kings Cross fire when I was working in the NHS in central London or during the revolution in Egypt),

Also some are taking offence at police officers 'taking the knee' or asking to walk with them. I know some police officers are quitting because of what's happening, but in a place like the US when quitting your job means you lose all health care insurance for you and your family, where unemployment is high, it's quite a big ask.

How can a white person best express support without seeming to be performative or patronising? What do thread persons think?

(I remember an incident from school where some white kids were calling one of the black kids various bad names n*, w* etc, so the white teacher told them off, and the black kid stood up and said 'who do you think you are sir, the great white saviour of the black races'. I also remember we had a black student teacher for cookery and most of the class refused to do her lessons and wouldn't bring any ingredients or anything. I was one of the few who did.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, in outer space:

Shame it links to a torygraph article (which is from August 2019 but I didn't hear about this case before).

https://twitter.com/tilbots/status/1267972711533420544?s=20

Stunningly poo poo comment under the article itself:

quote:

Three absurdities here.

1. That two women can get married.

2. That one has the first name of Summer. Should first names not reflect the sex of the person. Imagine expecting a man to come to turn up as a blind date, and a woman arrives.

3. Can a woman change her focus of sdexual attraction just like that? How was the child conceived?

And on that note, I'm off to bed. Just realized the white glow of my laptop screen is attracting the little buggers and that's why I'm swamped with them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you should talk to your friends if you care, like clearly you would know better than someone on twitter whether you're just being performative or not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If I was on the ground I'd fully defer to what black folks there thought but honestly I can't get too het up about people breaking windows and stuff because I think that kind of thing is exactly what is needed. It's not like they're actually hurting people, that is exclusively the domain of the cops, so the rest is just infighting.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

The way I reconcile it is that B99 is (largely) a show about what cops are *supposed to be* but occasionally acknowledges what they *actually are*.

I.e., it's mostly about detectives solving crimes (well, it's mostly a comedy soap opera that happens to be set in a police station), but occasionally acknowledges that cops are almost exclusively NOT detectives solving crimes.

But it really sucks that Scrubs but in a police station and scrubs in a hospital came in the order they did, because they;'re basically the same show made a decade apart, and I wish to god Scrubs had been the one that happened to be made now.

Albeit, Scrubs is still about America's utter horror show of a medical system, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I am a huge fan of B99 at least partly because Rosa's coming out story was a big part of the inspiration for me coming to terms with my own sexuality and coming out as much as I have done, so it's pleasing at least to find out that Stephanie Beatriz is Not A poo poo.

B99 is much, much worse *because* it's set in NYC and the NYPD have historically been among the worse abusers in the US policing system.

Sometimes good things are made about poo poo subjects.

Maybe good things SHOULD be made about poo poo subjects, if they're made in a way to point out the shitness of the subjects and how they should actually be?

I think the fundamental difference between Scrubs and Brooklyn 99 is that Scrubs didn't paint a false picture of the medicine. Doctors almost never heroically save the day, medical mysteries are incredibly rare, and patients die a lot. Half the time they portray the job as boring or depressing. They had a medical consultant on the show at all times, and some of the episodes dealing with medical mistakes, crappy bosses or burnout are scarily accurate even coming from a different country.

B99 really doesn't do that, and I'm someone who likes the show. Probably more than half the episodes they quip their way through a gunfight and then bloodlessly rugby-tackle a "perp" to the ground who might as well be wearing a striped shirt and carrying a bag marked "SWAG". Who looks suitably chastised and vanishes from memory as soon as the camera cuts away. For all the serious stuff they do about race, feminism, sexual orientation etc., the actual portrayal of policework and the justice system is incredibly sanitised.

It's not even necessarily a flaw, I still enjoy the show. It just means I think of it as a great comedy rather than a great police comedy, whereas Scrubs is 100% a great medical comedy.

(Did I mention I love Scrubs? Scrubs is great, and Zach Braff and Donald Faison are currently doing a podcast where they rewatch the old episodes with commentary. It's called "Fake Doctors, Real Friends" and it's a good timekiller)

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

One of you sounds so much like Robbie Collin that I thought I was listening to Kermode and Mayo stand ins for a minute.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

have you all perhaps considered that the US state fears nothing more than a multi-racial coalition (that's part of why they killed fred hampton and MLK) and the whole outside instigators/white anarchists from out of state narrative is nothing more than a pathetic echo of bircher and third-era klan propaganda that you are somehow falling for

e: the people escalating the violence are manifestly the police in 99% of instances, they are violent racist paramilitaries that think their sweaty helter skelter fantasies are coming true

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the flip side of the issue that I've heard a couple of people mention is protest leaders (possibly police-installed) being too eager to cooperate with authorities and getting protestors kettled/arrested/beaten when the cops suddenly get aggressive. like we saw with Extinction Rebellion, martyring yourselves en masse is not a good strategy

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's difficult as a white person to know what the right thing to do is to express support.

For example, I'm seeing on twitter PoC people saying "if you're white don't contact your black friends to ask how they are because you don't really care and it's just performative" (well I do care about my PoC friends and if I ask, I'm genuine in asking - and ok, maybe I didn't contact them for a while but I have quite a few friends I only contact now and then when something kicks off - eg friends in Aus during the fires earlier this year, same as friends are prompted to contact me when they hear of flooding in my area or at various other times in my life eg Kings Cross fire when I was working in the NHS in central London or during the revolution in Egypt),

Also some are taking offence at police officers 'taking the knee' or asking to walk with them. I know some police officers are quitting because of what's happening, but in a place like the US when quitting your job means you lose all health care insurance for you and your family, where unemployment is high, it's quite a big ask.

How can a white person best express support without seeming to be performative or patronising? What do thread persons think?

(I remember an incident from school where some white kids were calling one of the black kids various bad names n*, w* etc, so the white teacher told them off, and the black kid stood up and said 'who do you think you are sir, the great white saviour of the black races'. I also remember we had a black student teacher for cookery and most of the class refused to do her lessons and wouldn't bring any ingredients or anything. I was one of the few who did.

You’re always going to get people who are (understandably) jaded and suspicious, and you’re always going to get people who are just assholes. In a lot of ways you can’t blame them, because there’s plenty of folks who will put up a #blackouttuesday post and promptly go on to do poo poo that’s harmful to BAME folks. Or plenty of people who claim to not be racist but promptly tie themselves in knots to try and justify a reason when a cop murders a black person.

So as far as I know the rule of thumb is basically be supportive, listen, and don’t try and talk over black voices.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's raining :dogcited:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

XMNN posted:

I went looking for a picture of Desmond swayne to illustrate why that's awful but not surprising (which I found)

My wife showed me that tweet earlier and I looked at it, and my immediate reaction was "Oh Desmond Swayne, I'm not loving surprised..." [pulls up google image search of Desmond Swayne] "He even looks like a total oval office."

Angepain posted:

i don't have full context for this but someone seems to have convinced high-ups in the LA police to go on a zoom call where members of the public can call in and the results are glorious. do check out the full thread and replies:

https://twitter.com/keywilliamss/status/1267929996430991360

e: the live video is here, it's apparently on break at the moment but still going on after several hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0CKlGj3uI

Came here to post this. That whole thread is glorious. Like, imagine what would happen if you had Boris and his full cabinet on a zoom call and they just had to sit there while a completely unfiltered list of Labour supporters called them relentlessly for 9 hours and they just had to sit there and listen while they were berated eloquently with facts. That's the vibe from this.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

jabby posted:

I think the fundamental difference between Scrubs and Brooklyn 99 is...

I think I missed the start of police show chat, so apologies if someone has already done the whole just watch the loving Wire already post, but it's been noticeably absent from all the pages I read.
Seriously, how is this not the go to TV choice of UKMT? it's a show written by a socialist that offers a sustained structural critique of post industrial society. Unlike basically every other TV show ever it rejects the liberalism which places individual agency as the primary driver of all action and illustrates, in compelling dramatic fashion, how a variety of social and economic structures shape expectations and narrow options for both individuals and institutions.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sitting with all my windows open listening to the cool rain. :chillout:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Some of them might be white people who also, justifiably, hate the cops. The problem is it won't be them that pays for it.

radmonger posted:

I know some people here have issues with Brown Moses, but this seems a legit investigation:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/27/the-boogaloo-movement-is-not-what-you-think/
Yeah, some of the people at those protests (especially the ones in the South) are gun rights people who are legit incensed that Kenneth Walker got charged with attempted murder of a cop because he shot back at masked intruders who broke into his house and murdered his girlfriend Breonna Taylor, when 911 told him that there were no police in the area to respond, when the masked intruders happened to be police executing a warrant for people who were already in custody.
That's a legitimate thing to be angry about, it's a monumental fuckup. If armed people try to enter your dwelling with violence and you call the police and they tell you there are no police nearby to respond then it's only right and proper to assume that the people entering mean you harm.

The problem is that in the absence of any kind of left mass line you end up with a bunch of people who care about weapons but not politics (von Clausewitz might suggest they should instead be take up painting) and that's something that's (ironically, given the prepper/home defense nature) poorly equipped to defend itself against infiltration or parasitization by right wing accelerationism.

That makes it very difficult without opening windows into men's souls to tell who's operating off of some romantic misreading of (supposedly apolitical) insurrection and who's trying to instigate a race war.

At least for the ones just randomly firing shots. The ones deliberately targeting stores with 'Black Owned Business' on the shutters are probably racists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1267809662252077062?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it was this sort of strong opposition that resulted in the furlough scheme

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1267937842782765059?s=20

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

lmao. Crossposting this to the Cool Zone

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Amazing

E: aw poo poo I'm outta the coolzone

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Early morning reminder that the government is literally doing a P.W. Botha and censoring structural racism in a report about structural racism during a state of emergency.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1267919803962064897?s=21

Holy poo poo. Anyone with decent MPs, call them. Get them screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The government is literally covering up the causes of excessive non-white deaths in Britain.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Have you tried creating a hostile environment

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

worse he was vocally condemning the party despite knowing about it

I remember people being worried that Corbyn was going to purge the party. He should have done, would have been the biggest help to Jewish people.

It wouldn't surprise me if police had infiltrated the protest groups in the US, there are plenty of instances of it happening over here. If I remember right one of them even had a family with a group member then peaced out when the assignment was over.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

I remember people being worried that Corbyn was going to purge the party. He should have done, would have been the biggest help to Jewish people.

It wouldn't surprise me if police had infiltrated the protest groups in the US, there are plenty of instances of it happening over here. If I remember right one of them even had a family with a group member then peaced out when the assignment was over.

theres photos/videos of people very obviously wired up and with handcuffs in their pockets agitating or people loving over peaceful protesters with police protection. philadelphia has been really bad for it and then it was posted in the cspam alt right thread that their police commissioner is the same commissioner who worked in portland and helped co-ordinate with neo nazis there during a protest

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/declassifiedUK/status/1268080667289694208?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In slightly better news, the Tories don't seem to be throwing HK citizens under a bus too hard.

Boris Op-ed in South China Morning Post

Boris Johnson posted:

Today, about 350,000 of the territory’s people hold British National Overseas passports and another 2.5 million would be eligible to apply for them. At present, these passports allow visa-free access to the United Kingdom for up to six months.

If China imposes its national security law, the British government will change our immigration rules and allow any holder of these passports from Hong Kong to come to the UK for a renewable period of 12 months and be given further immigration rights, including the right to work, which could place them on a route to citizenship

The main issue is how family will be handled- many parents will be eligable for B(NO) passports but their kids won't be, and if the government will let the whole family live/work/study here.