Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Blizzard posted this job ad last week: Lead Game Designer, RTS

quote:

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a Lead Designer to help shape the future of our RTS games: StarCraft, StarCraft 2, and Warcraft 3. The ideal candidate will have an absolute passion for Real-Time Strategy games, experience leading development teams, and a drive to help other designers reach their full potential.

We are the custodians of some of Blizzard's most epic experiences, games that have brought endless hours of replayability and enjoyment to players. Whether it’s battling the Zerg in the Koprulu sector or staking your claim on Azeroth, we’re continuing to push these giants to new heights, and we need champions to embark on this journey with us.

Notice how they specifically don't mention new RTS games, just the existing ones. Either this is a new role created just now that's supposed to cover their entire Classic Games division (whatever that even is nowadays) or someone just left.

Just more proof of Reforged being rushed to rake in the preorder cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

Are Wind Riders now Wyverns or vice versa? I'm reasonably sure either change is consistent with copyright cuckoldry.

They were originally wyverns. It got changed to wind rider randomly with all the other units.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Orc unit has always been called Wind Rider, at least since the release of The Frozen Throne.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Orc unit has always been called Wind Rider, at least since the release of The Frozen Throne.

It was called Wyvern before Frozen Throne. It was the release of Frozen Throne that changed a bunch of units' names, and some units' models.

Gyrocopters became Flying Machines (and got weakened/cheapened *severely*... I miss the stronger but more expensive flying machines), Steam Tanks became Siege Engines, Catapults became Demolishers, Wyverns became Wind Riders, Ballistae became Glaive Throwers, etc.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
None of those are copyrighted words though? Or were they just TOO similar?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

changing catapult and ballista is just stupid seeing as those are common terms for siege weapons

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. Especially since demolishers are just big catapults, and wtf are glaive throwers.

In Warcraft 2 the orcs used Catpaults. Maybe they switch night elf ballistas to something dumb because the alliance in 2 used them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. Especially since demolishers are just big catapults, and wtf are glaive throwers.

In Warcraft 2 the orcs used Catpaults. Maybe they switch night elf ballistas to something dumb because the alliance in 2 used them.
Dunno, flinging large glaives against soldiers would probably be effective but stone structures not so much. Still better than using corpses however.

I think the alliance got the ballista technology from the high elves anyway. But I could be wrong.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I always assumed they changed the names of units that were generic to something more unique, probably for some copyright reason. Wyvern is a well known fantasy creature while Wind Rider is something specific to this game etc etc

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In WoW they're referred to pretty interchangably as wyverns and wind riders.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=25532/swift-yellow-wind-rider

https://www.wowhead.com/item=93386/grand-wyvern

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It might just be an earlier version of the Grommash thing, where they wanted a name/design they could copyright themselves rather than any of their own infringing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flayer posted:

I always assumed they changed the names of units that were generic to something more unique, probably for some copyright reason. Wyvern is a well known fantasy creature while Wind Rider is something specific to this game etc etc

Yeah I kinda assumed it was like how Games Workshop gave stupid "official" names to all the factions so they could be copywritten or whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I kinda assumed it was like how Games Workshop gave stupid "official" names to all the factions so they could be copywritten or whatever.

Elf? Nonono

Aelfs

That’s stupid and derivative, and no one is going to think it’s distinct. I have a better idea.

Aelves

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They already had Duardin for Dwarfs. What is it now? Fyreslayer or something ludicrous like that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

jokes posted:

Elf? Nonono

Aelfs

That’s stupid and derivative, and no one is going to think it’s distinct. I have a better idea.

Aelves

Aelphz

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where does Grubby play? He made a comment about having to play against bots or against battle.net (same thing) so it sounds like he's not playing there. I do see tft games in Gameranger

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where does Grubby play? He made a comment about having to play against bots or against battle.net (same thing) so it sounds like he's not playing there. I do see tft games in Gameranger

W3Champions. I've been enjoying his youtube a lot lately.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm glad HOTS died because it was dumb when he was streaming that over wc3.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgYyGfr36xg
I'm watching him play this match and it's the first I've seen him play using the reforged models and stuff. I surprisingly don't hate it? I don't think it looks great but I expected much worse. I like the water elementals

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Grubby's epic mastery of the TC never gets old.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm glad HOTS died because it was dumb when he was streaming that over wc3.
gently caress you hots was fun :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HotS was the DotA clone right? Did they shut it down or something? I couldn't imagine having blizz resources and shutting poo poo down. It just seems designed to piss people off

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Milo and POTUS posted:

HotS was the DotA clone right? Did they shut it down or something? I couldn't imagine having blizz resources and shutting poo poo down. It just seems designed to piss people off

The game still exists and is playable, but they killed the pro league (right before Christmas) and dramatically reduced the dev team. It's basically in maintenance mode.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgYyGfr36xg
I'm watching him play this match and it's the first I've seen him play using the reforged models and stuff. I surprisingly don't hate it? I don't think it looks great but I expected much worse. I like the water elementals

To each their own, but it looks like a barely animated mobile game to me. Losing the cartoony graphics just sucks out so much of the charm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't play any mobile games so I have no clue how good they look. Phones seem like they'd be poo poo for playing tbh

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh wait, Wyvern -> Wind Rider, they wanted the focus on the Orc and not his mount.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tubgoat posted:

Oh wait, Wyvern -> Wind Rider, they wanted the focus on the Orc and not his mount.

The actual mount is referred to as a Wind Rider in WoW.

It's also referred to as a Wyvern interchangably.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Wyvern rides the wind, the orc rides the wyvern. They should be called wyvern riders

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I want a bug where the Kodo part of the Kodo Beast is invisible and there's just a troll drummer floating around disappearing units.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Wyvern rides the wind, the orc rides the wyvern. They should be called wyvern riders

Wind Rider Rider

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Been playing some of that new Command & Conquer Remastered and God dammit! Why couldn't Blizzard put like even just 10% of this effort into their WC3's remaster. Playing C&C just makes me feel how lovely Blizzard is nowadays.

For those living under a rock, here's a decent video/review of it to give you an idea. Now let's all laugh at Blizzard some more now. (And sorry if this post comes off as shilly...)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's funny that the same company that was hired for the wc3 remaster did a bunch of work on cnc remaster as well (and apparently did a very solid job with cnc)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Blizzard North + Westwood Studios when??

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So what's the current state of affairs with WC3 Reforged? I loved the original and am thinking of picking it up. I understand it's super underwhelming compared to what was promised, but all I want is the original game sharpened up a bit and otherwise left alone. Is it that, or is it a supremely broken version of a game that was already fixed?

Edit: Before anyone suggests I instead get CnC Remastered, I already purchased it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you just want singleplayer for a bit then yea it's fine. Some of the multiplayer stuff that should have been there in the first place is supposedly coming down the road. It's better than its launch but I feel it will never lose the shoddy remake stink.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you just want singleplayer for a bit then yea it's fine. Some of the multiplayer stuff that should have been there in the first place is supposedly coming down the road. It's better than its launch but I feel it will never lose the shoddy remake stink.

That's fair. I'm just looking to relive the Chaos/Throne campaigns really because I'm old and suck at multiplayer. But the campaigns were loving awesome and I loved how of all Blizzard's RTS, W3 was the easiest (for me at least) game to micro with the smaller control groups and some units having auto-powers.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

That's fair. I'm just looking to relive the Chaos/Throne campaigns really because I'm old and suck at multiplayer. But the campaigns were loving awesome and I loved how of all Blizzard's RTS, W3 was the easiest (for me at least) game to micro with the smaller control groups and some units having auto-powers.

This was all I wanted from Reforged (well, okay, I wanted them to remake all the cinematics instead of just the intro) and I had a good time replaying the campaigns. Some of it is quite pretty with the new graphics and tile sets.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Some of the ~lore~ changes that were made to the campaign are kinda fun. Stratholme's hidden bosses are pretty cool.

There aren't a whole lot of good changes, though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Noticeable changes to the campaigns do drop off after the undead campaign, with the exception of a few levels in the Blood Elf Campaign. But what changes are there are nice. Including naming the captains that appear in the human campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

BlazetheInferno posted:

Noticeable changes to the campaigns do drop off after the undead campaign, with the exception of a few levels in the Blood Elf Campaign. But what changes are there are nice. Including naming the captains that appear in the human campaign.

I dunno, Gul'dan with a very open, very revealing robe wasn't great (doesn't skip leg day though)