Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

If you are who I think you are, then I need to know, was your avatar a "juggalogre"? Was that the joke?

haha no gently caress you posted:

see what happens when i run out of weed!

Thoughts and prayers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene
i'm still permabanned though lol. that's a separate issue.

anyway before i go, please donate to this cause

https://twitter.com/DebKilroy/status/1265547927365332992

they're getting indigenous women out of custody. which is important for several reasons. indigenous women in custody are frequently murdered; they have children and other dependents that they can't care for if they're locked up, and every kid deprived of a mother by the justice system is another kid started down a bad path; and the second wave of coronavirus is bearing down on the prisons like a tsunami. already people are losing contact with relatives in prisons known to be hit by coronavirus, just as is happening in america. so if those double dole dollars are burning a hole in your pocket, this is an excellent place to spend them. and if you would love to help the cause but can't go out on the streets and march, this is how you can do real good from your computer chair.

(yes i did donate, more than i have given to something awful in the past three years, as extraordinary as that may seem)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it's a good cause, debbie kilroy is good people, i met her once and she is awesome

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene

thatbastardken posted:

it's a good cause, debbie kilroy is good people, i met her once and she is awesome
you met her! that's cool. i just follow her on twitter, where she's great, but it's even better to know she's cool in person

you probably already follow her, but if you want cutting-edge coverage of indigenous affairs delivered hilariously, nakkiah lui is a pro follow too

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature
Cops as an institution is actually fairly recent, starting in 1829 as the London Metropolitan Police. As it ends up the whole concept wasn't a necessity for societies to work! They also didn't give them guns, ever.

Then Cops were imported to Ireland and became a colonial tool, and they were armed with more than billy clubs to enforce laws.

Now the entire institution is based on bastardry and corruption on a massive scale and there is not a single cop that is not also a bastard. If they were not a bastard, they would not be a cop. Defunding the police would not be the end of the world, hell you'd have one less protection racket to worry about.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Buttcoin purse posted:

You are/were in the SES right? I don't remember seeing anyone identified as being in the SES on that site either so maybe the SES has been forgotten :(

Are.

But to be fair we're not exactly first responders. Uh unless you're out west, then you are because there's no fire service with jaws of life so it's on us to do it then. But in MY role we're not first responding generally. They don't count turning up to peoples damaged houses after a storm to divert flooding or patch a roof over as that. Uh Now I think about it maybe they should but eh w/e I'm a nerd who'd rather live in a command centre so I'm not really front lining it much.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

you met her! that's cool. i just follow her on twitter, where she's great, but it's even better to know she's cool in person

you probably already follow her, but if you want cutting-edge coverage of indigenous affairs delivered hilariously, nakkiah lui is a pro follow too

yeah back when i was still studying law she was involved in setting up the community legal service i volunteered at. i was not following nakkiah lui but i am now, thanks.

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene

Buttcoin purse posted:

If you are who I think you are, then I need to know, was your avatar a "juggalogre"? Was that the joke?
it was shrek in juggalo makeup by someone on deviantart. and no that wasn't mentioned iirc, but it's actually pretty good

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
What was the thread consensus on good internet providers? Aussie Broadband? I'm moving so if anyone has any referrals or anything they want to share I'm down to use them.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Whitlam posted:

What was the thread consensus on good internet providers? Aussie Broadband? I'm moving so if anyone has any referrals or anything they want to share I'm down to use them.

ABB seems pretty good for the 10$ a month extra, they have better routing to SEA (than TPG) and their tech service is a bit nicer.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I went with Aussie Broadband and I'm actually getting decent tech support for once (Thank you Tony Abbott for the hosed up NBN.)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

I haven't had any issues with Aussie broadband since we signed up. Never had to call support. They keep you in the loop of any maintenance etc. Can't complain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Aussie, Mate Communicate, Tangerine, Super loop.

All good choices, from what I hear from other people.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I went with Aussie Broadband and I'm actually getting decent tech support for once (Thank you Tony Abbott for the hosed up NBN.)

Yeah, we went with them when we got our NBN in January and they've been excellent

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah i went to superloop nearly 6 months ago because of a deal that's about to expire. i was on aussiebb beforehand. i could not tell the difference between the two. (fttp)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Cheers crew, ABB it probably is.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I have a discount code if anyone wants for aussie, PM me if you need one.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I learned a lot from cop chat. Thank you for mostly keeping it civil and interesting.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Relevant to the discussion in this thread today:

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1268117810326040576?s=20

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

i'm still permabanned though lol. that's a separate issue.

anyway before i go, please donate to this cause

https://twitter.com/DebKilroy/status/1265547927365332992

they're getting indigenous women out of custody. which is important for several reasons. indigenous women in custody are frequently murdered; they have children and other dependents that they can't care for if they're locked up, and every kid deprived of a mother by the justice system is another kid started down a bad path; and the second wave of coronavirus is bearing down on the prisons like a tsunami. already people are losing contact with relatives in prisons known to be hit by coronavirus, just as is happening in america. so if those double dole dollars are burning a hole in your pocket, this is an excellent place to spend them. and if you would love to help the cause but can't go out on the streets and march, this is how you can do real good from your computer chair.

(yes i did donate, more than i have given to something awful in the past three years, as extraordinary as that may seem)

We still do debtors prison? Last of heard of this poo poo was over a decade ago, I thought we were abolishing it.

gently caress this noise. Does the current government have a position on these laws?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
its funny with ACAB because as a commentary on willingly subscribing to a system of systemic oppression we don't exactly subscribe to All Priests Are Bastards but to that sae level we want reform from their immunity and protection afforded them through the many many many abuses of the clergy maybe it should go both ways

Note: i haven't quite worked out my thought process on this it's just an observation and not meant to make a statement on the ACAB pros and cons debate, it's more another example of that systemic rot needs change and how to address it is currently being properly debated as something has to change.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Remember the Apex Gang panic that cops chicken little'd about

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Peccadillo posted:

Remember the Apex Gang panic that cops chicken little'd about

i thought that was the media and the cops kept having to keep making press conferences saying that Apex didnt exist but you couldn't stop the Herald Sun

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Lid posted:

i thought that was the media and the cops kept having to keep making press conferences saying that Apex didnt exist but you couldn't stop the Herald Sun

it was this. the media here are somehow more cop than the cops

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
All (news) Corps Are Bastards

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

its funny with ACAB because as a commentary on willingly subscribing to a system of systemic oppression we don't exactly subscribe to All Priests Are Bastards but to that sae level we want reform from their immunity and protection afforded them through the many many many abuses of the clergy maybe it should go both ways

Note: i haven't quite worked out my thought process on this it's just an observation and not meant to make a statement on the ACAB pros and cons debate, it's more another example of that systemic rot needs change and how to address it is currently being properly debated as something has to change.

I'm more than willing to go with All Catholic (Priests) Are Bad. Because gently caress knows we need to dismantle the hierarchy of pedophiles and pedo protectors that make it up. Which again, rolls along with the problem being systemic rather than individual (there are also individual problems but that's not what ACAB is talking about).

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Lid posted:

Yeah, it was the Libs and the Hun, and then idiots going "the cops just don't want to admit it's a real thing because they're too PC". Racist logic, it's a hell of a drug.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I mean, Peter Dutton, the most powerful cop in the country, went on TV to say how scared of black kids he was about it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Peccadillo posted:

I mean, Peter Dutton, the most powerful cop in the country, went on TV to say how scared of black kids he was about it

Remember Sunshine cops all had those mudfish or whatever it was shirts and mugs made

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

hooman posted:

I'm more than willing to go with All Catholic (Priests) Are Bad. Because gently caress knows we need to dismantle the hierarchy of pedophiles and pedo protectors that make it up. Which again, rolls along with the problem being systemic rather than individual (there are also individual problems but that's not what ACAB is talking about).

Haha yeah I was thinking earlier of making a reference to priests and the church in terms of systemic complicity but decided against it because I didn't want to muddy the point. Funny that it then came up as a counter-argument

e: except in recent years, especially in the australian concept, you don't have the same appeal to authority that attracts cops as you do in the church, so it's more credible that someone would become a priest for benevolent/altruistic purposes than a cop

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 3, 2020

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

freebooter posted:

Thank you for this nuanced analysis. Because I do not agree that law enforcement is inherently wrong or that all cops can be fairly characterised as bastards, I must ipso facto be A-OK with police abuse. Nice avatar btw.
Reset your thinking. ACAB is less of a proclamation/opinion/statement than it is a principle or guideline for interacting with police in general. It means to never assume that police will act in good faith, stay vigilant, be aware of the psychological tactics used to extract information from you. They are not your friend and do not care to be. Your trust in an individual cop should not be any higher than a salesperson.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah but are cops unlawful or illegal

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

illegitimate

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sappy Fingers posted:

Reset your thinking. ACAB is less of a proclamation/opinion/statement than it is a principle or guideline for interacting with police in general. It means to never assume that police will act in good faith, stay vigilant, be aware of the psychological tactics used to extract information from you. They are not your friend and do not care to be. Your trust in an individual cop should not be any higher than a salesperson.

Absolutely this. Cops are only your friend if they identify with you or that specific one is your person on the inside - otherwise it now attracts people that love exercising authority over others. The original concept of police was to have someone that was part of the community be provided resources and funding so they could spend time helping out their fellow community member with the authority to address thieves and violent criminals. It has over time evolved to be a "force" that now will commonly refer to the population as "civilians" and needing more and more tools and equipment to protect themselves from those civilians.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/03/morrison-government-to-offer-25000-grants-to-help-build-and-renovate-homes

"To be eligible for the grants, singles need to earn $125,000 a year or less based on a 2018/19 tax return or later, and couples need to earn under $200,000. Building contracts need to be executed between 4 June and 31 December 2020."

"To qualify, people need to be intending to build a new home as a principal place of residence valued up to $750,000 including the land, or planning to renovate an existing property, with the upgrade valued at between $150,000 and $750,000."

"Existing properties need to be worth less than $1.5m before the renovation, and construction must be contracted to commence within three months of the contract date."

I've seen a few journalist succs call this 'bizarre' and certainly the renovation part of the stimulus is a bit on the nose, but the first home buyers grant is good? I'm looking to start building my first new house in the next 6 months so it's pretty perfect on top of the Vic 20k grant for building regionally, I'll basically get 45K to build a new house an hour from the city and actually get something affordable.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Quantum Shart posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/03/morrison-government-to-offer-25000-grants-to-help-build-and-renovate-homes

I've seen a few journalist succs call this 'bizarre' and certainly the renovation part of the stimulus is a bit on the nose, but the first home buyers grant is good? I'm looking to start building my first new house in the next 6 months so it's pretty perfect on top of the Vic 20k grant for building regionally, I'll basically get 45K to build a new house an hour from the city and actually get something affordable.

The renovations initiative is truly hosed - there's going to be very few if any people who've been sitting on $150k in cash, don't earn that much annually, and are ready to renovate something immediately. But also haven't until now for... some? reason.

A friend likened it to Tiffanys selling a $4k necklace and running a promotion offering free shipping.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Yeast posted:

The renovations initiative is truly hosed - there's going to be very few if any people who've been sitting on $150k in cash, don't earn that much annually, and are ready to renovate something immediately. But also haven't until now for... some? reason.

A friend likened it to Tiffanys selling a $4k necklace and running a promotion offering free shipping.

My assumption was that they're expecting people to leverage the value of the home to finance renovations. It's the same thing as using your super to pay for your rent, leveraging the future value of people to pay for now, instead of fronting up the cash totally.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah what a loving joke. We just found out some of our floorboards have woodborers, so between treating it and getting new floors in which we wanted to do anyway It was maybe gonna cost me 10k? So I wasn’t expecting the whole thing but thought it might subsidised a little- but 150K who has that sitting around and needs a discount

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I think the impetus is to really, really push new home builds (fair), but to appease builders groups they wanted something they could point to and be all 'oh no, it's not just new construction'

may as well not be there and just focus on new dwellings. It's a reasonable scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Quantum Shart posted:

"To be eligible for the grants, singles need to earn $125,000 a year or less based on a 2018/19 tax return or later, and couples need to earn under $200,000. Building contracts need to be executed between 4 June and 31 December 2020."

"To qualify, people need to be intending to build a new home as a principal place of residence valued up to $750,000 including the land, or planning to renovate an existing property, with the upgrade valued at between $150,000 and $750,000."

"Existing properties need to be worth less than $1.5m before the renovation, and construction must be contracted to commence within three months of the contract date."

Like in the absence of considering any of the million other options they could have done instead or in concert with this, a new home builders grant isn't a terrible idea, but pouring more money on the fire of housing affordability isn't a responsible approach (nor is it intended to be, it's intended to shut the construction industry up and pander to housing affordability complaints without addressing any of the structural causes)