Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Miggity posted:

If soundtoys didnt use iLok, I'd love them even more. My fav vst fx bundle aside from Rob Papen.

I don't think you need the iLok if you buy the full $500 package, or maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Serum has two chaos knobs on the global tab. Maybe apply a touch of chorus here and there. Other than that you're covering most of the ground, I think.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but what I've seen people recommend you do directly inside of Serum was:

1. don't use the perfectly clean default waveforms for your saws and pulses, use the slightly warped ones
2. bipolar note on random the Fine parameter on both osc A and B by maybe 2-5 cents
3. bipolar note on random the volume of both oscillators by 2-5 units.

And like you guys suggested a little noise. I haven't tried chorus, hm.

I can get it to sound maybe 90% of what the hardware version sounds like if I spend a good chunk of time on it, but not quite like the real thing. Another time saver here is to shop around vintage Serum presets and use those as base for a sound you're looking for. Many are poo poo, but some are really good. I got https://sellfy.com/p/CBKt/ some time ago and there were some pretty solid sounds in there. Apparently the Serum Toolkit n.2 is supposed to be pretty good too, I'll have to check it out.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DreadCthulhu posted:

I don't think you need the iLok if you buy the full $500 package, or maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

You don't need an iLok USB dongle, but AFAIK you still need to use the iLok License Manager software to activate & manage activations(which tbf isn't nearly as bad as having to use a dongle).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

Get neither. Get Pigments.

I have Sylenth and Serum. Both are fine. Sylenth is polished but restricted in certain ways. Pigments covers that territory with its basic waveshapes. Serum has some rough edges. Pigments does what Serum does and goes beyond in certain ways - sample based oscillators are not restricted to the noise osc.

If you have to pick one, Serum over Sylenth. Pigments is loaded with a best of Arturia. It is what the Origin could have been, kind of.

Its biggest downside is the CPU consumption. Sylenth is incredibly lean. Serum can get up there with enough unison. Pigments is merciless; but I have an older DAW, so YMMV.

I just loaded up the trial. There's a lot of buttons. But it's 50% off for the next few weeks, it was fun to play with and it seems to integrate well with my Arturia keyboard.

Thanks to the people who recommended to look at it. I think it'll be the one I go with although I doubt I'll ever get near to getting to grips with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The entire iZotope Elements Suite is only $29.99 over at Sweetwater for a few days.

You Get: Ozone Elements, RX Elements, Neutron Elements, and Nectar Elements

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic posted:

NI emailed me a $50 off voucher for Komplete 12 Select, so if I buy that, I will.
Update: I totally did, not with this offer but with a $50 off deal for Massive X + 3 expansions. Spent a bunch of time playing with it earlier. It rules!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soundtoys is having a sale- Effect Rack is $100 and Bundle is $200. Is the bundle a significant upgrade over Effect Rack?

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

It's already been mentioned, but for those into the classic hardware emulation side of things, Black Rooster Audio is having a sale which is actually pretty insane - all of their plugins for 90 USD. At that price, I just blind bought the bundle going off some reviews and their interpretation of the Pultec EQs definitely rival UAD's... so I'm now using it on tracks to free up my UAD Apollo's DSP for other stuff - particularly the higher gain guitar bus where it definitely gets the same job done that the UAD Pultec does when I A/B them. Similarly, the LA-2A and their "Magnetite" tape deck emulator seem right up there. Really happy with this.

They don't have any gimmicky DRM iLok type crap either, just paste in a key and you're good to go.

Progject fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 1, 2020

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

Soundtoys is having a sale- Effect Rack is $100 and Bundle is $200. Is the bundle a significant upgrade over Effect Rack?

I may be wrong but I believe the Effect Rack on its own only works as a single plugin for all of the Soundtoys effects you've already bought individually. So, if you only own say Decapitator, EchoBoy, and Tremolator, then when you load up the Effect Rack you'll only see those three options. The bundle includes the Effect Rack and all of the plugins.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nah, the effect rack that they're selling comes with 14 effects, but you can't drop them in as separate plugins - they have to be in the context of an effect rack. You can have multiple racks, so you could have decapitator (in a rack) then an ableton effect then echoboy (in another rack). But it's clunkier than just throwing in the plugin you want

I bought the bundle. TBH I probably shouldn't have bought it at all, and should've waited until I'm better at production but 🤷‍♀️

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Soundtoys are legit good tho. You wont be sitting around saying "man, I wish I had x effect". I mean, you will, but you wont.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there any way to change the tuning on the Impact Soundworks guitar libraries? I'm trying to use Shreddage 3 Jupiter to get a Mick Gordon-ish sound, but it's tuned in drop A, you kinda need drop D to make that work, and it doesn't seem like there's an obvious way to change it. Do I just need to try a different library that isn't drop A tuned?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Excited to try out u-he's Diva in the mix. Seems like third party preset people went way out of their way to simulate analog hardware with it and nobody can A/B the difference between the real thing and the VST. Apparently it's a CPU hog, but it can't be worse than Serum that I'm already relying a lot on...

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Second lowest quality is good enough for tracking (Draft differs a lot), you can set it to switch to Divine automatically when rendering the final track.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Is there any way to change the tuning on the Impact Soundworks guitar libraries? I'm trying to use Shreddage 3 Jupiter to get a Mick Gordon-ish sound, but it's tuned in drop A, you kinda need drop D to make that work, and it doesn't seem like there's an obvious way to change it. Do I just need to try a different library that isn't drop A tuned?

I thought Mick G used stupid low tunings like on his 9 string? Is there a particular thing that makes just writing your riffs in D sound weird? Or am I getting it wrong and you want the D below low A on a 7 string?

You could always try disabling the amps on Shreddage and running it through a different amp sim.
Heavy guitar tones are about layers, Mick used a chainsaw as part of his, and don't underestimate the importance of bass, probably a pretty gnarly one. Meshuggah sounds that way cos the bass is in the same register as the guitar (well, more like the other way round) and banging a bass through the same high gain patch as your guitar will get you in the ballpark.

From a quick look at the manual, there is a 'virtual capo' in S3J you could use, set that to the fifth fret and it'll the strings will be relatively drop D

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

Excited to try out u-he's Diva in the mix. Seems like third party preset people went way out of their way to simulate analog hardware with it and nobody can A/B the difference between the real thing and the VST. Apparently it's a CPU hog, but it can't be worse than Serum that I'm already relying a lot on...

Eh it was a CPU hog when it was released in 2011 but I think machines have caught up by now, at least when it's not set to 'divine' quality.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NonzeroCircle posted:

I thought Mick G used stupid low tunings like on his 9 string? Is there a particular thing that makes just writing your riffs in D sound weird? Or am I getting it wrong and you want the D below low A on a 7 string?

The latter, yeah. I think I've figured out how to make it work without doing that, though. (you might be able to figure this out, but I'm not a guitarist, and I'm having to try and make sense of how to write guitar riffs in MIDI :v:)

quote:

You could always try disabling the amps on Shreddage and running it through a different amp sim.
Heavy guitar tones are about layers, Mick used a chainsaw as part of his, and don't underestimate the importance of bass, probably a pretty gnarly one. Meshuggah sounds that way cos the bass is in the same register as the guitar (well, more like the other way round) and banging a bass through the same high gain patch as your guitar will get you in the ballpark.

From a quick look at the manual, there is a 'virtual capo' in S3J you could use, set that to the fifth fret and it'll the strings will be relatively drop D

This is good advice, thank you!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also Diva eats CPU when you use a bunch of instances of it, but as long as you're freezing tracks semi-regularly it won't be a huge issue. It's definitely way more of a CPU hog than Serum.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The latter, yeah. I think I've figured out how to make it work without doing that, though. (you might be able to figure this out, but I'm not a guitarist, and I'm having to try and make sense of how to write guitar riffs in MIDI :v:)

This is good advice, thank you!
If you're set on D (A will sound more :black101: though) then just find the lowest A on your MIDI roll that's assigned to a note (probs either A0 or A1?) and use the D above that as your root. That's likely easier to get to grips with than the virtual capo to start with: the capo will affect chord voicings but tbh if your MG style djdjdjenting I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet.
Having just read the manual again, at the start of your midi pattern (beat 1) have an F#5 play too to turn on strumming mode. G#5 will force downstrokes which is the standard metal way of playing. For more realism, If you had a pattern that was 8th notes for the first 3 beats and 16ths for the last beat alternate between a G#5 and A5 on top of each of the last four notes which would alternate pick it.
I'm sure the scripting would do this anyway but see if this sounds better to you

Activate the 'mute' articulation for chugs (velocity affects this, higher velocity means a more choked chug) and 'sustain' for held notes.

Most riffs in this style are more about rhythm than musicality, just play around with riffs that are D and D# in various configurations. For chords, you're looking at power chords which are Root and 5th (A if you're playing a D) with maybe an octave on top. Hope this helps and makes sense! Do your chugs as either single notes or just root+5th

Have a read of the manual (not in a patronising way, guitar jargon is alien if you aren't familiar) it's actually pretty easy to follow.

Edit: listen to some Fear Factory or something and try to copy those riffs on the MIDI roll to get a feel for it. The intro to https://youtu.be/7RJsRQOneMY would be a good one. Plus they're metronome tight so looping that section would be easy once you've got the bpm.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 10, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NonzeroCircle posted:

If you're set on D (A will sound more :black101: though) then just find the lowest A on your MIDI roll that's assigned to a note (probs either A0 or A1?) and use the D above that as your root. That's likely easier to get to grips with than the virtual capo to start with: the capo will affect chord voicings but tbh if your MG style djdjdjenting I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet.
Having just read the manual again, at the start of your midi pattern (beat 1) have an F#5 play too to turn on strumming mode. G#5 will force downstrokes which is the standard metal way of playing. For more realism, If you had a pattern that was 8th notes for the first 3 beats and 16ths for the last beat alternate between a G#5 and A5 on top of each of the last four notes which would alternate pick it.
I'm sure the scripting would do this anyway but see if this sounds better to you

Activate the 'mute' articulation for chugs (velocity affects this, higher velocity means a more choked chug) and 'sustain' for held notes.

Most riffs in this style are more about rhythm than musicality, just play around with riffs that are D and D# in various configurations. For chords, you're looking at power chords which are Root and 5th (A if you're playing a D) with maybe an octave on top. Hope this helps and makes sense! Do your chugs as either single notes or just root+5th

Have a read of the manual (not in a patronising way, guitar jargon is alien if you aren't familiar) it's actually pretty easy to follow.

Edit: listen to some Fear Factory or something and try to copy those riffs on the MIDI roll to get a feel for it. The intro to https://youtu.be/7RJsRQOneMY would be a good one. Plus they're metronome tight so looping that section would be easy once you've got the bpm.

Holy poo poo, this is really helpful, thank you! I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got an email that Soundtoys' Little AlterBoy is 50% off until the 30th. $49 instead of $99.

Also!

https://twitter.com/valhalladsp/status/1262779361540730880

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ItJOb_T34

Divkid has his own Valhalla Supermassive presets available

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone gently caress around with Scaler 2 yet?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/6439

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0AuRdPSLw

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ozone 9 Elements is a freebie on Splice til the 5th June. Picked up earlier, very easy install process. Obviously lacks a lot of the modules from the big boy version but hey, it's a quick easy way to add polish and beef.

https://splice.com/plugins/38774457-ozone-9-elements-vst-au-by-izotope

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Anything worth using from the NI Komplete Start?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

blocks base is fun, supercharger is cool and guitar rig is always handy. it really, truly depends on what you have already. the price is right.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

DreadCthulhu posted:

It's worth using to upgrade to Komplete 12 during the NI summer sale

*edit* wait nvm Start is the free version so I guess you can't upgrade with that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's a coupon to get select for like $100, then it's cheaper to upgrade, I think. The audioproductiondeals subreddit has a big post on the sale. I can link it when I get a minute, but you can probably find it quickly.

Or get some hardware. The M32 comes with select as well.

edit:
https://old.reddit.com/r/AudioProductionDeals/comments/gt182h/native_instruments_2020_upgradecrossgrade_super/

There's a bunch of shenanigans in the comments for the "best deal", idk which stores are worth the hassle or not.

odiv fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Anybody got a favorite vibrato VST they swear by that can be nicely automated?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For those that have iLok dongles, Lexicon Reverb VSTs are on sale.

For the rest of us, not so lucky.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
How is Arturia's V collection? I just got a keystep and they're offering the V Collection 7 + OB-Xa V for $250. I am interested in 80s sounds so the OB-Xa V looks cool but idk how the sound quality is on their simulators.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spambort posted:

How is Arturia's V collection? I just got a keystep and they're offering the V Collection 7 + OB-Xa V for $250. I am interested in 80s sounds so the OB-Xa V looks cool but idk how the sound quality is on their simulators.
It's great! Get it!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's super great.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Spambort posted:

It's an utterly goddamn insane collection and unless you're some snob from KVR you'll love it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i wanted one or two things from NI and was able to get an upgrade to Komplete 12 for the same price. feels very good

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
follow up: was talking to my friend about it and he said to use his licenses for his collection (6) and he'll upgrade soon. Ended up picking up the vahalla delay plugin. i got an itch to make some 80s stuff atm so both of these things are scratching that itch well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah apparently when you upgrade you get new licenses and you can assign the older version licenses to someone else. My buddy had them do that for me through support. I was kinda floored they do this but im not gunna complain.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Wait are we talking about Arturia licenses? I've got some going way back and I have a nephew who might really be able to use them.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Anyone use XLN XO? Seems really cool but is it worth the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait are we talking about Arturia licenses? I've got some going way back and I have a nephew who might really be able to use them.

Yeah. I thought he was full of poo poo and told him theres no way they would move the older version over to my account. Then he texted me and told me to check and sure as poo poo I've got V Collection 5 on my account and I've been using them since.

I honestly dont think they intended for this but hey