Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Starmer says Johnson did not put a number on those being contacted. He says the number of people testing positive every day is only a fraction of the people being infected. The system probably should be contacting 45,000 people a day.

He quotes the UK Statistics Authority criticism of the government. Can the PM not see how much damage is being done to trust?

Johnson says he does not know why Starmer continues to undermine trust in government. Starmer should give credit to the people involved.

lol he must be genetically incapable of feeling any sort of shame

e

quote:

Starmer says he has tried to support the government. He thought the schools issued needed consensus. That is why he offered to help.

He says the scenes in parliament yesterday were “shameful”. If any other employer operated like this, it would be a clear and obvious case of discrimination. Will the PM stop this?

Johnson says people around the country are having to queue. He says it is not unreasonable to expect MPs to do their job. When people look at what the government is doing .... He says his policy is test, trace and isolate. Labour’s is agree, U-turn and criticise.

good god what a disingenuous oval office

E2: https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1268140864234283008?s=20

doesn't even remember how months work or remember which targets he's supposed to lie about achieving when

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bobstar posted:

Ugh, blue lives matter. When I first heard it I thought it was a variant of the stupid "colourblind" mantra of "I don't care if you're white, black, or purple!" because the idea that police are a class that need protecting was just too stupid.

it is a meaningful movement for rights for our alien friends who despite initial diplomatic misunderstandings only wanted to have a 90s eurodance party

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 3, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

theres photos/videos of people very obviously wired up and with handcuffs in their pockets agitating or people loving over peaceful protesters with police protection. philadelphia has been really bad for it and then it was posted in the cspam alt right thread that their police commissioner is the same commissioner who worked in portland and helped co-ordinate with neo nazis there during a protest

Just had a look in the thread and some of it is so obvious that the MSM must have picked some of it up, but I'm hoping for too much aren't I.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

agree, U-turn and criticise

gently caress me I wonder how long he and Cummy spent thinking that one up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

gently caress me I wonder how long he and Cummy spent thinking that one up.

It's going to work, too. 'Starmer is an opportunistic, untrustworthy poo poo' is a deep vein to mine.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52904433

quote:

Coronavirus contact tracer 'paid to watch Netflix'

A contact tracer working on the NHS Test and Trace coronavirus scheme says she has not been asked to speak to anyone since beginning work last week.

The clinician told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire she had worked 38 hours but had yet to make a single phone call and spent the time watching Netflix.

"It's frustrating to know that I'm sat idle when there's people that need contacting," they said.

The government said this does not reflect the amount of work under way.

"Becky" spoke to the BBC on condition of anonymity, and said she has watched nearly three series of comedy The Good Place, despite being available to help isolate people.

"I'm yet to make a single phone call or be assigned a case," the nurse said.

"I've had no contact from anyone. I've had no contact from supervisors. I've literally been on the system, refreshed the system, and entertained myself during that watching Netflix.

"I've just watched it alongside going back to the system, refreshing it, occasionally having to log back in because it's timed out. I have yet to have contact with anybody regarding contact tracing."

Government money going to good causes for once.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's actually a good thing that they're not doing anything because that means the pandemic is over

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Detective show chat:

I'm not a fan of the propaganda type shows like CSI or the obvious Police, Camera, Action - there's also a steady stream of any detective show where a cop has to bend/break the rules in order to get some criminal, which I also don't like as it normalises corruption in the publics brain.

The Shield (available on 4 on demand) is one of the best ones I've seen. I kind of prefer it to The Wire just because it's dirtier and more intense.

I quite liked some stuff from the last decade in the UK like Line of Duty, that the police didn't want to cooperate on as it portrayed them badly, and other bits like The Shadow Line or Red Riding trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dyUsvkfXc4

Or if that's too depressing, Murder in Successville.

Police should only be portrayed as being incompetent, corrupt or lazy on TV, just to make it realistic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I prefer The Shield to The Wire too, though it has some clunkiness especially in the first few seasons.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Are they also going to have a ticketing system to use the toilets? Or do you just piss in your glass and wait for it to be taken away?

They're going to have to carve piss gullies into the floor.

Or connect nozzles and funnels to everyone and employ the Wetherspoon's piss dungeon guy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

justcola posted:

there's also a steady stream of any detective show where a cop has to bend/break the rules in order to get some criminal, which I also don't like as it normalises corruption in the publics brain.

This was my problem with Luther. In a just world every case he ever touched would have been thrown out of court and he'd be behind bars. The show acknowledges that he breaks the law but doesn't really do much with that information beyond painting him as a maverick who gets poo poo done.

e: I need to watch The Shield

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

It's going to work, too. 'Starmer is an opportunistic, untrustworthy poo poo' is a deep vein to mine.

Only in so much as it’s valid for a lot of politicians. Starmers not great but I expect him to politic to gently caress over Boris. His lack of honesty isn’t the problem. It’s that he’s not particularly good at the bullshitting part either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

it's actually a good thing that they're not doing anything because that means the pandemic is over

Certainly seems to be over round here! Just myself and 2 others in the street wearing masks. Non-essential shops reopening (and I thought Wales weren't reopening non-essential yet), lots of people out and about.
I didn't go out the last 2 days to avoid 'the rush' and it's raining today not sunny like the last couple of days so god knows what they were like Mon & Tue.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Shield is just a fun TV show, The Wire is a genuine masterpiece. Though i really wish David Simon didn't have a Twitter account (something that holds true for a lot of creators I used to greatly respect).

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

xtothez posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52904433

Government money going to good causes for once.

Tbh that’s me WFH, play POE when on conference calls. And stream YouTube when doing work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Corner (the book and the miniseries) are worth reading/watching too, for a narrative view of the real world that inspired The Wire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The shield is also loosely based on real life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal?wprov=sfla1

edit: i say loosely but if you've seen the show and read that wikipedia page you can see where lots of the main story lines come from

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 3, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

The Shield is just a fun TV show, The Wire is a genuine masterpiece. Though i really wish David Simon didn't have a Twitter account (something that holds true for a lot of creators I used to greatly respect).

The Shield is much in the vein of Justified or the first 2 seasons of Sons of Anarchy, exceptionally fun, kind of dumb. Could probably throw Oz in there too. Cracking shows. Well, SoA wasn't but the start was good, and Henry Rollins as a Nazi thug was loving terrifying.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The problem with The Shield is I suspect too many people thought the strike team were cool.

Now Dutch, there was a man I could aspire to...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its no surprise that sons of anarchy is by one of the main writers of the shield

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Justified has got to be the worst offender among "bad" police TV shows. Raylan Givens is unspeakably terrible at his job and just arbitrarily executes anyone he didn't work down a coal mine with all the time.

It's so good though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

most people he kills are trying to kill him in his defense

its good though because of walton goggins. who was also in the shield

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

peanut- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXObPxVmO0&t=120s

That these two are two of the most honourable and best cops in the show, and this happened in episode 2 of the FIRST season AND their arcs make perfect sense. This is too real right now and it was too real then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/vgnbern/status/1268153484907556864?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Justified is trash, but trash doesn't necessarily mean bad. It's junk food TV and now I want to rewatch it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Certainly seems to be over round here! Just myself and 2 others in the street wearing masks. Non-essential shops reopening (and I thought Wales weren't reopening non-essential yet), lots of people out and about.
I didn't go out the last 2 days to avoid 'the rush' and it's raining today not sunny like the last couple of days so god knows what they were like Mon & Tue.

it's apparently very over around here

our CEO has been in the office for the last few days to ermm do conference calls with a bunch of people in other countries?

also him and a guy who keeps "just popping out" to visit customers went in the same car together to the shops to buy ice cream for the office because it was sunny yesterday, although tbf if they both come down with coronavirus you won't be able to blame that trip specifically, as they also did that to get lunch for the office on Friday

they've also invited two separate groups of customers to the lab for tenuous reasons on Thursday, but it's ok because there's apparently plenty of room for me to do work (that I could do from home) in the office! at my desk, surrounded by the desks of at least three other morons

I do not trust these people's judgement one tiny bit

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The wire is amazing. That was the very first of those types of american tv series I watched. Still one of the best.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

peanut- posted:

Justified has got to be the worst offender among "bad" police TV shows. Raylan Givens is unspeakably terrible at his job and just arbitrarily executes anyone he didn't work down a coal mine with all the time.

It's so good though.

I struggle to believe anything could top CSI Miami's international extrajudicial murder on foreign soil punctuated by a quip, the sunglasses, and 'yyyyyeyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh'

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jose posted:

its no surprise that sons of anarchy is by one of the main writers of the shield

Thankfully he didn't have enough creative clout, google what Sutter wanted to do with Dutch.

Also if you have seen The Shield you can see Sutter just cookie cuttering the storylines into SOA, the best bit being when he runs out of ideas so just does them again :allears:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thankfully he didn't have enough creative clout, google what Sutter wanted to do with Dutch.

It's mostly in the show still, there's just some missing Dutch scenes in the end that would have "confirmed" it. But I feel like it's definitely there as a valid reading of the show.

edit for people who don't wanna look it up: Basically in that version of the story, Dutch was a serial killer by the end of the show, and it's a big reason as to why he was so successful at catching them.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 3, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

It's so good though.

I mean yes but at least everyone is constantly pointing out what a fuckup Raylan is. He's a staggeringly unsympathetic protagonist really. A lot of it is that I sometimes wonder if Raylan Givens thinks he's Sheriff Bullock from Deadwood rather than a 21st century lawman in a decidedly less

And yes, sure, most of the people he kills are technically in self-defence but he's usually setting it up so he needs to make a kill in self-defence. He's a loving lunatic but also the show is exceedingly fun. And yes, an awful lot of that is on Goggins, one of the finest character actors of his generation. But Raylan Givens being a dumbass murder machine helps.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's mostly in the show still, there's just some Dutch scenes in the end that would have "confirmed" it. But I feel like it's definitely there as a valid reading of the show.

It would have really cheapened the end though, and pulled focus from Mackey's arc.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I watched the whole of the wire and didn't realise stringer bell was english in stark comparison to McNulty who kept slipping back into an english accent.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Hawaii Five-O reimagining had one of the cops parachute into North Korea to take revenge for a soldier buddy who got killed.

They didn’t even bother to make the enemy soldiers look North Korean or film in an environment that resembled NK. Looked closer to guerillas in South American rainforests.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's mostly in the show still, there's just some missing Dutch scenes in the end that would have "confirmed" it. But I feel like it's definitely there as a valid reading of the show.

edit for people who don't wanna look it up: Basically in that version of the story, Dutch was a serial killer by the end of the show, and it's a big reason as to why he was so successful at catching them.

Yeah you get them very obviously starting the plot line before it's clear the plug gets pulled which is good because it was a stupid idea

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Hawaii Five-O reimagining had one of the cops parachute into North Korea to take revenge for a soldier buddy who got killed.

They didn’t even bother to make the enemy soldiers look North Korean or film in an environment that resembled NK. Looked closer to guerillas in South American rainforests.
North Korea looks just like how Vietnam looks in movies because it all gets rolled into one under "that time we fought Chinese Communists and a jungle was probably involved because Asia."

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jippa posted:

I watched the whole of the wire and didn't realise stringer bell was english in stark comparison to McNulty who kept slipping back into an english accent.

One of the best episodes though was when McNulty pretended to be an English person to go undercover.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I mean yes but at least everyone is constantly pointing out what a fuckup Raylan is. He's a staggeringly unsympathetic protagonist really. A lot of it is that I sometimes wonder if Raylan Givens thinks he's Sheriff Bullock from Deadwood rather than a 21st century lawman in a decidedly less

And yes, sure, most of the people he kills are technically in self-defence but he's usually setting it up so he needs to make a kill in self-defence. He's a loving lunatic but also the show is exceedingly fun. And yes, an awful lot of that is on Goggins, one of the finest character actors of his generation. But Raylan Givens being a dumbass murder machine helps.

Raylan will be called into Art's office for a convivial glass of Kentucky bourbon and a stern talking to about why he's killed fifteen of the last seventeen people he was sent to arrest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

raylan givens in justified is a marshal so while he does kill a staggering amount of people his job isn't investigating crimes its catching people already convicted of crimes and transport of criminals and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

justcola posted:

Or if that's too depressing, Murder in Successville.

Should give that the time, I saw the first episode and it was incredible.

"I'm a crime robot! That turns into a crime truck!"
"I am Optimus Crime"