Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Moon Slayer posted:

Dumb question, but how do I put out hay and/or kibble for my animals to eat? Is there a way to do that where a colonist doesn't have to go out and feed them all by hand? I've got a herd of boomalopes to provide steady fuel for my powerplants but they've nearly depleted their grazing area.

You can just restrict where they can move, and put the hay/kibble in that area as a drop zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

And if you stick it on a shelf it won’t decay without a roof, but it can still rot if it is capable of rotting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rimworld: one of my hunters got stoned on weed and then hunted a grizzly bear and wound up having to punch it when it got too close. Somehow she's alive and the bear isn't.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Candidate for heavy armor. :allears:

Reminds me of the time I sent my best brawler with five others to gun down a bandit camp. There was an explosion, we had med kits but brawler lost her left hand. So when they get back to base I imagine my leader in full sociopath mode:

"Somebody's getting a bionic arm~!"

"This really hurts, boss."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
So, I'm looking at Save Our Ship mod and any advice on that guy as to supportive mods to add to it or mods to avoid that would cause problems? Deep Storage for one, and I'm wondering if Rimatomics is necessary or if I can get away without it. I have a bunch of the vanilla expanded mods too, furniture and weapons and armor, and the 'power' one with the oddball helixian gas generators. Still pretty fun.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is there an upper limit to how long you can keep a pawn alive by replacing organs and limbs?

When do age related illnesses become overwhelming? Do they just randomly die once you reach a certain age?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Katt posted:

Is there an upper limit to how long you can keep a pawn alive by replacing organs and limbs?

When do age related illnesses become overwhelming? Do they just randomly die once you reach a certain age?

From what I know old age won't kill anyone, but they will get more illnesses and stuff. Googling seems to back me up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Keep an aging god-emperor alive for the unthinkably long period of 20 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the big problem is dementia cos there's no vanilla way to deal with that, you can replace all your organs with robots but your brain is just hosed. I dunno if healer mech serums will solve it but they're hard to get and you can end up rerolling it every year.

Luciferum might cure it but again, hard to get.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

OwlFancier posted:

I think the big problem is dementia cos there's no vanilla way to deal with that, you can replace all your organs with robots but your brain is just hosed. I dunno if healer mech serums will solve it but they're hard to get and you can end up rerolling it every year.

Brief googling found me reddit posts from 2017 saying that ressurector or healer mech serums heal it, but Lucy does not.

e: also, the Rimworld version of I Love Lucy would be a very different show.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

e: also, the Rimworld version of I Love Lucy would be a very different show.

Ahhhh... Lucy.... I'M BACK!!!! *whips out plasteel longsword*

*laugh track*

The factory conveyor scene is a nutrient paste dispenser. Don't ask what's in the hoppers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm using evolved organs so in between the two sets of wings, four arms, spring loaded legs, barbed tail, polymer skin, armoured ribcage, eyes that can see the EM spectrum, plated skull, venom fangs, and auxiliary heart I also stuffed some weird gizmo into the abdomen that makes you biologically immortal.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

It's not that hard to get, given that you only need 12 units per year. Especially now that you can choose from a selection of quest rewards.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Need all my Luci to inject grizzly bears that I then launch by drop pods into hostile tribal camps.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

whoooooof did not realize how lethal a caravan's guards would be if I attacked it, this is punishingly hard compared to what's attacking me via raids.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cyborg space marine catching an arrow through his helmet and getting a permanent 66% penalty to everything :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Katt posted:

Cyborg space marine catching an arrow through his helmet and getting a permanent 66% penalty to everything :v:

Game doesn't show you the arrow head was made from wreckage of a scyther launched from a bow partially made of scavenged spacer materials.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've experimented with it a bit and in vanilla dementia/alzheimers is indeed the big problem with truly long-lived pawns. immunity gain is also kind of an issue because after 79 biological years old, immunity gain caps out at 80% of normal. this is enough that you need a very skilled doctor or glitter medicine to fight off harder core diseases, but with the empire dlc you can get those implants that give you +8% immunity gain. it's not perfect, but 88% of normal is still a gently caress of a lot better than it could be. replacing the heart is also a pretty critical thing, because artery blockages are also age-related, even a minor blockage can cause a heart attack, and those can be very, very difficult to save someone from. precisely what priority tickers get can be interesting, though, since obviously bionic legs are way more effective at speeding people up, but i personally tend to delay legs in favor of hearts because i know i'm gonna feel like a real rear end in a top hat if i get a quest with an archeotech leg as a reward.

the degenerative brain diseases (both of them) have no recourse beyond healer mech serum, though, and it's somewhat common for me to build a cryptosleep casket and keep my highly skilled but rapidly deteriorating Methuselah on ice until i have some if either get past minor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

This is part of the reason I like combat extended, armour in that is way tougher, if something isn't built to penetrate 20mm of armour then it's not going to. You can fire all day and it'll all just ping off. Really makes heavy mechanoids a threat though cos you literally can't crack them without the right tools.

Also, small thing, but I noticed they added a distortion effect to the psychic emanator. Cute touch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that, with mods, you can just keep replacing brains forever.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any mods or methods that allow for a diet/meal management option that lets pawns eat a fine or lavish meal every 3-4 days, and simple meals otherwise?

E- just realized I could probably use days matter to partly solve the problem, although still have to manually change everyone's meal options each time.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 3, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I don’t think I’ve ever run a game past eight years, so while I’ve had folks develop bad backs and things from their birthdays due to weird biological age rolls, I’ve only ever dealt with dementia in pawns I’ve taken on knowing they’d have it.

Before release I think I once used an AI Core-requiring brain prosthetic to bring a pawn with dementia but with the interests to be a dedicated crafter and builder up to like 98% base consciousness, but it was the sort of base where existing crafters kept a set of bionic limbs on standby for new recruits for mobility and combat purposes so it wasn’t much of a stretch.

With regard to modded brain transplants, is it the age of the organ which causes dementia rolls, or the age of the pawn, code-wise? Because if it’s the latter you are left with the same problem as mech serums: every year they roll again to get it. Granted, ‘donor’ brains from raiders are a somewhat more easily-renewable resource than mech serums.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pawn I'm sure, I don't think organs as things are tracked at all, once implanted they're just modifiers on the pawn, and changes to the part structure.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

organs are tracked as things but the age related conditions are just rolled for on the pawn's birthday

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I do like how in the distant future we've solved the problem of organ rejection, so I can just pull the lungs out of some random raider and replace one of my people's with them to cure her asthma. One of my guys is also missing a kidney from when he attacked us way back when but I keep forgetting to grab one for him.

EDIT: Oh hey, here's another question. How do I change prisoner's clothes? Is it even possible? Feels cruel to leave them naked for the weeks it takes to convince them to join me (I get a lot of naked tribal raiders).

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 3, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

EDIT: Oh hey, here's another question. How do I change prisoner's clothes? Is it even possible? Feels cruel to leave them naked for the weeks it takes to convince them to join me (I get a lot of naked tribal raiders).

Dump clothes into the prison room and they'll put some of them once you've taken their clothes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Keep a set of cloth tribal wear around per bed in your prison, lets you use or sell the clothes they delivered to you by being on the raid. Critical priority, tribalwear only. Anything in a shelf or storage zone inside a prison is considered off-limits to your pawns for usage, though it will be hauled out if it is disallowed.

Learned that when I once rezoned my storage room/barracks to a prison after a first raid, my pawns ate raw meat and an unspoiled raider corpse instead of the simple meals or strawberries I had thought they’d go for ~

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

My very first game (I'm on #2 right now) was on a plain and after I started to get the hang of things I realized I was out of steel. "Huh, I wonder how you're supposed to get more, I'll look it up on the wiki." Nope, turns out I was never going to get steel again.

For vanilla, start your own trade caravans. Get yourself a bunch of pemmican or survival meals, load up a few dudes and some muffalo with drugs or clothes or art or whatever, then take a tour of nearby nonhostile settlements and buy whatever you're short of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can also make another colony in a mountain area and just use that for mining material. If you keep the wealth of the second colony low you wont have to worry as much with raids since they'll be weak.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LonsomeSon posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever run a game past eight years, so while I’ve had folks develop bad backs and things from their birthdays due to weird biological age rolls, I’ve only ever dealt with dementia in pawns I’ve taken on knowing they’d have it.

yeah the main time you run into aging stuff itself is when you are doing gimmick runs or when you have another mod that makes it a thing. save our ship runs can be like that because you can theoretically be using the same pawns for many years. i did a wandering Megacity Judge run where i had basically 5 Judges plus some assorted support staff and they'd go from planet to planet being THE LAW. eventually a couple Judges got really fuckin old and had to be given 'time off' until we could figure out how to return them to duty.

if you're running a pure vanilla game like i usually do it's unlikely to even show up, let alone progress to the point where you truly need to worry about it, in the context of your game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

El Spamo posted:

So, I'm looking at Save Our Ship mod and any advice on that guy as to supportive mods to add to it or mods to avoid that would cause problems? Deep Storage for one, and I'm wondering if Rimatomics is necessary or if I can get away without it. I have a bunch of the vanilla expanded mods too, furniture and weapons and armor, and the 'power' one with the oddball helixian gas generators. Still pretty fun.

I'm not sure whether Rimatomics is compatible with it or not. There's an issue where moving the ship, even within the same map, causes some jank. All the temperatures inside the ship default to -100C and the rooms have to be reheated. It'll instantly kill anything you have growing in hydroponics, and you'd better make sure all your guys are wearing EVA suits or are in cryptosleep before moving the ship. I wonder if things like the rimatomics cooling and high voltage systems would handle the move correctly. In any event it's certainly not necessary, Save our Ship includes a powerful ship reactor that produces enough power for its things. I haven't tried deep storage, but I can confirm a simple stack size increaser works.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
My colony is going semi ok now, it was a rough winter and I had to pretty much hunt the map clean.

The problem is now raiders are packing firearms and I'm getting into a cycle where raiders come, people get hurt and I have to spend a while recuperating right before the next raid comes. Does armor lower then flak jackets do anything for firearms?

Is the best way to avoid injury just hunkering down and taking cover? Should I make a killbox like what people recommend?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OGS-Remix posted:

My colony is going semi ok now, it was a rough winter and I had to pretty much hunt the map clean.

The problem is now raiders are packing firearms and I'm getting into a cycle where raiders come, people get hurt and I have to spend a while recuperating right before the next raid comes. Does armor lower then flak jackets do anything for firearms?

Is the best way to avoid injury just hunkering down and taking cover? Should I make a killbox like what people recommend?

You should try and do things that make your pawns not have to engage in combat. A wall around your base with only a single entrance with wooden traps in a 1-tile-wide hallway are a highly efficient way of spending cheap, replenishable wood to kill raiders without exposing your pawns to any danger. Raiders will ignore doors generally if they're closed. Then you make a killbox that offers zero cover to your enemies while maximizing your own (best mathematical cover is placing a pawn behind a pillar in the dark).

Ideally you would build a long enough entrance/trap hallway that your pawns don't need to engage at all, or have your gunners replaced by turrets.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

jokes posted:

You should try and do things that make your pawns not have to engage in combat. A wall around your base with only a single entrance with wooden traps in a 1-tile-wide hallway are a highly efficient way of spending cheap, replenishable wood to kill raiders without exposing your pawns to any danger. Raiders will ignore doors generally if they're closed. Then you make a killbox that offers zero cover to your enemies while maximizing your own (best mathematical cover is placing a pawn behind a pillar in the dark).

Ideally you would build a long enough entrance/trap hallway that your pawns don't need to engage at all, or have your gunners replaced by turrets.

Do raiders automatically gravitate towards the one entrance? I might wall off everything once I've gotten my layout better sorted but if just throwing a wall up funnels them, I'll just put one down now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Do raiders automatically gravitate towards the one entrance? I might wall off everything once I've gotten my layout better sorted but if just throwing a wall up funnels them, I'll just put one down now.

They only gravitate if there’s an opening, and sappers will sometimes just try to break through the wall anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ughhh

Global warming so it's insanely hot outside, my colonists can't even sow the fields without getting initial heatstroke

"hey here's a quest wanna go on a long overland journey to destroy a bandit camp?" no sir not the time

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

ughhh

Global warming so it's insanely hot outside, my colonists can't even sow the fields without getting initial heatstroke

"hey here's a quest wanna go on a long overland journey to destroy a bandit camp?" no sir not the time

In times of low resources I've jumped at the chance for caravan missions or even base raids, because if the local tiles can still support animal grazing then my pack animals aren't taking colony food, there's still some foraging to be had even on desert, and the end camps usually have a few meals per enemy combatant so I just need enough to get there. It also tends to have animals and ready to harvest plants (few on desert, but some) on the enemy base/mission tile.

One base raid netted me loads of food when I was hurting, they had a few plots of plants ready to go, a storehouse of raw foods, meals off their pawns, and I set a bunch of pawns for local hunt and forage for part of a day before running home.

And because it was desert, it was super fast travel back!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That's all good advice. But now I have a mechanoid cluster parked outside, so uh

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's all good advice. But now I have a mechanoid cluster parked outside, so uh

A winnable one?

I remembered that when a caravan is stopped it doubles the foraging abilities of those on the caravan. If the animals can graze, and if the pawns you stick on the caravan are growers that have >10 growing, you should net food from that caravan. If you started as tribals, I think you even get an additional buff to foraging on caravans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

170% forage rate for all characters belonging to a tribal faction, yes.