Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Klyith posted:

You need family / multiple subscriptions for more than one PC. You don't have to make extra MS accounts.

I and a friend split a family sub between us, I don't use a MS account on my PC and my friend is a "keep 7 forever" person (yes I've told him this is stupid). I made a single MS account to purchase the subscription on, enter that info during the install and then never again. It didn't change my local account or anything like that.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

edit wait I guess this isn't true anymore https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-increase-device-limits-for-office-365-consumer-subscription-users/
drat I've been paying $30 extra the last year
Yeah, this used to be true, but it isn't anymore. Famile now means that you can use it on five different devices and by five different users at a time, though, so if you have multiple people who need it, it's still a lot cheaper than individual subscriptions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks Klyith for double-checking. And the bit about the local account.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, this used to be true, but it isn't anymore. Famile now means that you can use it on five different devices and by five different users at a time, though, so if you have multiple people who need it, it's still a lot cheaper than individual subscriptions.

Six people (6x1TB OneDrive) each signed in on 5 devices.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there a shortcut or some software that lets me swap the entire contents of my two monitors? My secondary display is at an angle compared to my primary one, and a lot of times, after I get done playing a game, I'd like to move all the windows I have in my secondary (web browser, spotify, discord) to the primary one, instead of having to do it manually or via alt-tabbing to each window and doing Win-Shift-Right Arrow. Bonus if it's something that let's me tile windows to configured dimensions in addition to this (e.g. some shortcut/button that tiles discord to the bottom left corner, spotify to the top right, and 3 chrome windows exactly where I want them).

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is there a shortcut or some software that lets me swap the entire contents of my two monitors? My secondary display is at an angle compared to my primary one, and a lot of times, after I get done playing a game, I'd like to move all the windows I have in my secondary (web browser, spotify, discord) to the primary one, instead of having to do it manually or via alt-tabbing to each window and doing Win-Shift-Right Arrow. Bonus if it's something that let's me tile windows to configured dimensions in addition to this (e.g. some shortcut/button that tiles discord to the bottom left corner, spotify to the top right, and 3 chrome windows exactly where I want them).

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey, I didn't see an Office thread, so posting here.
I've never paid for Office in my entire life, but now I'm a small business owner, and I'm about to buy some Dells.

What's the best legitimate way to pay for Office, annual subscription for the traditional purchase?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never paid for Office in my entire life, but now I'm a small business owner, and I'm about to buy some Dells.

What's the best legitimate way to pay for Office, annual subscription for the traditional purchase?

Office 365 subscription that includes email, etc. Solves a bunch of different needs in one per user price.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I run a small company too and office 365 for SMBs is awesome. All your business hosting, cloud storage, office software, etc for one monthly price. What is it, 15/user/mo?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'd recommend comparing the licensing costs and whether you'd get additional value out of those extra features FunOne mentioned. If not, there's no sense in paying in perpetuity for software that works well and receives updates for a long time (unless you need support, of course). Standalone versions of Office traditionally have received ten years of extended support: Office 2007 went EOL in 2017 and Office 2010 goes EOL this October.

I'm glad you posted because it reminded me that a family member is still using 2010 and I'll need to let them know they need to upgrade soon in case it doesn't spam them with notifications saying as much. :unsmith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I guess the complicating factor is that it isn't per user, it's per seat... and it's one seat.
I said "some" Dells because I'm also buying myself a personal laptop with the company money.

I'm building a retail shop. The POS system has it's own network and server, and even the in-store music is on a dedicated hardware box, so the PC is literally just an Office PC: Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Email, printing signs.
I guess the wildcard is that I need Access, I like being able to use Excel and Access together to do my own analysis of accounting data.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

I guess the complicating factor is that it isn't per user, it's per seat... and it's one seat.
I said "some" Dells because I'm also buying myself a personal laptop with the company money.

I'm building a retail shop. The POS system has it's own network and server, and even the in-store music is on a dedicated hardware box, so the PC is literally just an Office PC: Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Email, printing signs.
I guess the wildcard is that I need Access, I like being able to use Excel and Access together to do my own analysis of accounting data.
So buy a copy of Office 2019 pro?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Whats the proper (free) method to transfer everything from an existing win 10 install to a new win 10 machine?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Macrium Reflect Free

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a single competent email client for Windows anymore? I was using Outlook for a while, but I have to do dumb workarounds to get the calendar and contacts to sync, so I tried going back to the built-in Mail app. Turns out it can't tell that an email in a Gmail account has attachments at all. I gave up on Thunderbird years ago for some reason that I can't remember anymore; maybe it's time to pick it back up again?

I just want something that I can have installed on two machines that can access multiple accounts. Having a built-in calendar would be a big plus.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is there a single competent email client for Windows anymore?

I just want something that I can have installed on two machines that can access multiple accounts. Having a built-in calendar would be a big plus.

PostBox and the Bat! are still out there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hooah posted:

Is there a single competent email client for Windows anymore? I was using Outlook for a while, but I have to do dumb workarounds to get the calendar and contacts to sync, so I tried going back to the built-in Mail app. Turns out it can't tell that an email in a Gmail account has attachments at all. I gave up on Thunderbird years ago for some reason that I can't remember anymore; maybe it's time to pick it back up again?

Personally I use EM Client and it works well enough for keeping my multiple accounts in sync

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I’ve been using browser based email since I got a Gmail account during the beta and never looked back. Doesn’t help that work is also a Gmail shop.

I am interested in suggestions, tho. My aunt is an inveterate Eudora user who’s just now coming to terms with it being EOL.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Outlook client works great with Hotmail accounts, fwiw.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zil posted:

Personally I use EM Client and it works well enough for keeping my multiple accounts in sync

I forgot to mention that I used eM Client for a while, but the free version kept nagging me when I opened it on a different machine. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay, but $65 with a limited upgrade lifetime or $135 for lifetime upgrades is drat steep.

FunOne posted:

PostBox and the Bat! are still out there.

Eh, neither includes a calendar, and The Bat! is ...not attractive (and I don't care about security that much).

Ynglaur posted:

The Outlook client works great with Hotmail accounts, fwiw.

I'm sure it is, but I haven't used Hotmail in ...15 years?

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 7, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I used Pegasus Mail a quarter century ago and it's still alive: http://www.pmail.com/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've left thunderbird so many times over the last decade+ to try something new and shiny and I always end up going back to it

Its not pretty but it works perfectly

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hooah posted:

I forgot to mention that I used eM Client for a while, but the free version kept nagging me when I opened it on a different machine. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay, but $65 with a limited upgrade lifetime or $135 for lifetime upgrades is drat steep.

Oh yeah the upgrade screen did get annoying, which is why I jumped at their Black Friday sale last year.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Zil posted:

Oh yeah the upgrade screen did get annoying, which is why I jumped at their Black Friday sale last year.

Does this form not work anymore?
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

It does, but the free version can only handle two email accounts (I'd like to have three), and from what I remember the free license doesn't really work with more than one machine. That's what I was alluding to earlier.

After reviewing the options presented here (thanks, folks), I don't think it's an issue often enough for me to worry about paying for something just to see the odd attachment now and again.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

so I tried going back to the built-in Mail app. Turns out it can't tell that an email in a Gmail account has attachments at all.

It shows paperclip in mail list and when you click on message all attachments are at the top.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's what it does if I send a test email to my old college account, which now uses some variety of O365, but on both of my Gmail accounts there is no indication whatsoever of an attachment. I tried resetting and uninstalling/reinstalling the app and still it's broken.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It doesn't have a Calendar (something I don't care about because Windows already has a perfectly good one built in) but I can't recommend mailspring enough. It's everything I want an email client to be and it does it all perfectly.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

That's what it does if I send a test email to my old college account, which now uses some variety of O365, but on both of my Gmail accounts there is no indication whatsoever of an attachment. I tried resetting and uninstalling/reinstalling the app and still it's broken.

Seems that something weird is going on with the mail app. It doesn't see attachments sent from gmail accounts, but sees when sent from any other mail. It also can't send mail to itself.
Edit: Even funnier is that the messages, that i though Windows Mail was not sending, gmail actually put in spam. When i took them out of spam, they shoewed up in Windows Mail with attachment indicators. The takeaway is that Windows Mail and Calendar is hot garbage.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 8, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah the windows 10 mail app has some serious issues with attachment handling. i've also had trouble getting it to recognize onedrive file attachments that were attached in a certain way. come the gently caress on microsoft

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's honestly quite mind boggling because Microsoft makes hands down the best email app for iOS (and I'm willing to bet it's considered a contender in the android ecosystem as well). These days I only look at my desktop client when I want to copy and paste some info; or I need an attachment on my PC; or I'm typing a super long email. 99% of my email stuff is done on my iPhone.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft makes hands down the best email app for iOS (and I'm willing to bet it's considered a contender in the android ecosystem as well).

They bought that one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's honestly quite mind boggling because Microsoft makes hands down the best email app for iOS (and I'm willing to bet it's considered a contender in the android ecosystem as well).

Outlook? On Android, you cannot attach images. If you try, they are added in line. Boggles the loving mind.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Is there a program for Windows 10 that will automatically adjust my display's scaling based on whether a second screen is present or not? When my laptop is on my desk connected to my 27" over HDMI I want the built-in display scaling to be 175%, but when it's disconnected then I want it to be 150%.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does Mailspring, on Mac at least, let you sort mailboxes by sender, date, etc. now? It didn't about a year ago.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hey thread, I am looking about for a good VPN, any suggestions?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Willfrey posted:

Hey thread, I am looking about for a good VPN, any suggestions?

Lol lowtax just posted an announcement schilling forrecommending NordVPN.

It's a good VPN afaik, and cheap with the SA referral.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It's a good VPN afaik, and cheap with the SA referral.

It's not a great VPN, they had one of their exit servers hacked last year and kept it secret for months.

OTOH if the only thing you need from a VPN is to pretend to be in the UK to watch BBC or in the US to watch netflix, or for :filez:, then it doesn't matter that much. They're still good for that type of thing and they're cheap (because they need to get customers back lol).

If you need a VPN for real security ask in the infosec thread.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Aaah didn't see the thread. Thanks for the info, yeah the goal is encryption not watching video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I've used both Mullvad and ProtonVPN. Mullvad's advantages are that it is a bit cheaper and you can use Wireguard. Wireguard is potentially faster (my internet speeds aren't good enough for this to be noticeable so YMMV) and is more power efficient on laptops/phones. The reason I'm currently sticking with ProtonVPN is that it allows for split tunneling so I can whitelist apps to not run through the VPN, meaning that I don't have to try to remember to keep turning it on/off and sometimes wonder why I'm at 400 ping and getting matched entirely with Russians in CS:GO. Proton has helped to support the development of Wireguard, so it's assumed that they are going to make it available at some point.