Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Moulded from the few scarabs I had, running out of parts and washes , I'm really proud how these scarabs turned out.

I can't wait till my order comes in and i've got some agrax earthshade again.

Robot Uprising fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Scandalous posted:

Babby’s first edge highlighting (more or less)

Bit rough due to shakes and inexperience but I quite enjoyed this and I’m happy with how it’s turning out

That looks good!

Marines are always so tempting to me but the amount of armor edge highlighting needed puts me off every time. But it looks so good when it’s done.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Painted an ethereal and did a bunch of bases yesterday. I'm very happy with the blue and white winter/maritime scheme I accidentally figured out from stuff I originally got for space wolves.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Test run for my necromundia bases (and first time messing w/oil paints)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

jesus WEP posted:

Given that the camera usually makes microscopic flaws look like fingerpainting I’d say that’s a drat fine job
Tell me about it. I just took pictures of my minis for this month's Oath and was feeling pretty proud of myself until I went to prep the pics for my post. Then I immediately wanted to throw my minis in the trash - until I resized the photos and was like, "OK, these aren't actually garbage..."

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I've painted up the Star Wars Legion box set. Fun game. Here are a couple pieces.
Also, I'm really liking this MacroMat. It's really brought up my miniature photography game 100 fold. Thanks to the 40k Badcast for that hot tip. I'm going through the entire backlog of that podcast right now as I paint.

The "Greedo" graffiti is from a printout I made and colored in with colored pencils. I glued it to the barricade with thinned down white glue.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is it a “thing” to put little ball bearings in Citadel paint pots to ease with keeping the paint mixed? If so, do you guys have recommendations on where/what to buy?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 1, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Xenomrph posted:

Is it a “thing” to put little balm bearings in Citadel paint pots to ease with keeping the paint mixed? If so, do you guys have recommendations on where/what to buy?

Yeah, lots of people do that. Make sure to get something that won't rust, either (legit) stainless steel or glass/ceramic beads.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like to use cut up sprue.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

moths posted:

I like to use cut up sprue.
I wouldn’t have thought to try that, it doesn’t seem like it would have enough mass.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's more about agitation, I usually put a few pieces in and it seems to work ok.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I bought a bunch of cheap, discount glass beads in different diameters online. More mass than cut up sprue, and completely inert so they can't effect the paint.

For sizes that'll go in dropper bottles or small pots, you can get hundreds for a tenner.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Scandalous posted:

Babby’s first edge highlighting (more or less)

Bit rough due to shakes and inexperience but I quite enjoyed this and I’m happy with how it’s turning out

Looks really good man

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I truly hope whomever designed this model takes as his greatest shame to he grave that the rider's arm is not extended up and back as in a "bucking bronco" rider.

Shameful.

Great paint-job, though. What's the little white decal on the nose?

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Great paint-job, though. What's the little white decal on the nose?

Thanks.
It's a leftover I had from a Tamiya 1/48 Tiger Tank decal sheet I have.
I store all my unused decals together for various projects. The other side of the model has a "7" from a Maschinen Krieger kit I did a few years back.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I just found a sprue set and decals from a WH40K box from over 20 years ago.

I’m so excited.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
What like Rogue Trader era?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

3rd edition was 22 years ago

Welcome to the old people club

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oh I know, I had the original hardcover 40K Rogue Trader rulebook, I am very aware I'm an old.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Bloat drone done! Only 3 models from DI left!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

R0ckfish posted:

That is extremely unpleasant looking. So, great job! The gouge in the armour plate with the flesh showing through is particularly well done.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

R0ckfish posted:

An excellent choice of colors

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

SiKboy posted:

That is extremely unpleasant looking. So, great job! The gouge in the armour plate with the flesh showing through is particularly well done.

Verisimilidude posted:

An excellent choice of colors

Thank you!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Black Knights are all primed and ready to go, however I'd like to paint them in Bretonnian Knight random heraldic colors with each of the five knights with a different coat of arms. Any tips on using tape to get nice, crisp lines?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dreadwroth2 posted:

What like Rogue Trader era?

Space Marines v Dark Eldar 3rd edition set, plus a bunch of Chaos marine stuff from around the same time (since I eventually decided to roll with the Iron Warriors as a teen).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from Hams for Hunger, because I asked for a little help here so I thought the people who helped out might want to see the end result.

I love the way the 'glacial ice' colors on the wings worked out. In the unlikely event of me ever painting a second one of these, I'd be tempted to use those colors for the whole body but I think the stark contrast between the blue wing membranes and fins helps make the purple->bluish-white transition of the body look more white. A few of the highlights on the dragon's face got to be pure white, but for the most part there's no actual white on the mini.

There're a few things I don't like about the model, but they're minor. The pose is a bit goofy: is it landing? It's going to break its tail! Hovering? Now it can't claw adventurers but they can still poke it with sharp things! And parts of the sculpt feel unfinished or hastily done (the tail fringe especially has five 'spines' on one side and three on the other, one of the arm fringes has a front piece the other lacks).

For all its flaws, I'd still say it was the most enjoyable of the three to paint. The modeling flaws were minor (unlike the Green Dragon), it wasn't sharp (unlike the Red Dragon), and the wings weren't in the way (unlike both of the other two).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks phenomenal and I love your color choices.

Did you consider snow or a faint blue wash to the ice? I can see why you'd avoid snow, since pure white wouldn't fit the color composition, but maybe with a grey tint?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hadn't considered that, but a teal wash would be a good idea!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 3, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moths posted:

That looks phenomenal and I love your color choices.

Did you consider snow or a faint blue wash to the ice? I can see why you'd avoid snow, since pure white wouldn't fit the color composition, but maybe with a grey tint?

yeah like a 1:2:20 mix of nuln oil, gulliman blue glaze, and water where it eventually looks like if lacroix made a wash

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I did a very light wash with I'd say 30-40:1 water/Ahriman Blue, a very light drybrush with white on the upper portions to try to give any sharp points or raised area a little shine, and then cut a tiny bit of nuln oil into the wash and went back and re-washed the bottom 1/5th or so of each big icicle to darken the lowest bits. I think that came out looking pretty nice!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 3, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Finally done with the Maw-Krusha. Sorry for the crappy overexposed pictures. It's not going to win any contests but I'm pretty happy how it turned out and to have finally completed my 2000pts of Orruks! I should have applied a wash to Gordrakk's head I think. But I'm pretty happy how the blood splatters turned out!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did a very light wash with I'd say 30-40:1 water/Ahriman Blue, a very light drybrush with white on the upper portions to try to give any sharp points or raised area a little shine, and then cut a tiny bit of nuln oil into the wash and went back and re-washed the bottom 1/5th or so of each big icicle to darken the lowest bits. I think that came out looking pretty nice!

That really does set off the ice extremely well. As for the pose, to me hes plainly monologuing.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Furism posted:

Finally done with the Maw-Krusha. Sorry for the crappy overexposed pictures. It's not going to win any contests but I'm pretty happy how it turned out and to have finally completed my 2000pts of Orruks! I should have applied a wash to Gordrakk's head I think. But I'm pretty happy how the blood splatters turned out!

I love this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hell yeah it did

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can feel how cold this is and I love it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

That ice looks fantastic.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did a Archon

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finally getting back to painting after a few months of procrastinating, starting with a couple Acastus Knights Porphyrion:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Love the usage of Epic minis for the bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crosspost from Hams for Hunger.

I was working on this guy simultaneously with the white dragon. I mostly finished this one first, but I needed to wait for the resin on the base to dry. The red dragon was computer modeled, but near as I can tell both the white and green dragon were modeled by hand.

The crocodile on the base was made by taking an oyumaru mold of Reaper's Werecrocodile, which I also used as a test model for the Green Dragon's colors. There are also five tiny rats on the base, but three of them are hidden under the two poisonous mushrooms near the green dragon's tail.

I don't work with a lot of greens, and I decided I wanted to make the green dragon a lot more emerald than the werecroc so he got a final highlight layer of very thinned yellow to make the greens pop, and then the yellow/green highlights on the belly scales got an overbrushing of bone to accentuate them further.

There's also a T-Rex skull fossil embedded in the floor next to the croc pond. If you look closely, you can see two rats from this angle: a black one in the open, and a brown one under the mushroom near the dragon's back foot.

I have some major issues with this model that I feel like I need to mention. I can't really recommend this model to others because of one of them, so I'll talk about the lesser flaw first.

The green dragon's lower jaw is really curved. It looks like they were modeling it with a closed mouth at first and then someone said "No, make it meaner!" so they opened the front of the mouth without changing the angle of the 'hinge' at the back.

So the back of the mouth is closed and the front of the jaw is open. The green dragon can't close its jaw any farther than this.

That was a minor flaw. The major flaw?

At some point during the modeling process, someone knocked the model over onto its left wing. The left wing is bent into a really terrible position that makes painting it, the tail, and most of the green dragon's left side really awkward and bad. Worse, though?

The base of the dragon's wing got bumped out of the socket designed to hold it to the body, leaving a divot (which got textured over later in an effort to hide it) and part of the wire armature inside the dragon's wing poked through and wasn't fixed. This got captured by the molding process and it's not a one-off mistake, as far as I can tell this flaw is on every version of the figure. The official promotional / box art for the model keeps the dragon at an angle where this isn't visible, but some online sellers took shots of the dragon at other angles that reveal the problem pretty clearly.

I'm not a confident enough modeler to try to fix this, especially since the model comes pre-assembled and that's a terrible place to try to work an x-acto knife into. :saddowns:

Anyway, here's a money shot of all three dragons together.