Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When reporting a post the text in the report reason for doesn’t line wrap, it just extends one long line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I have found that the Parent Forum/Previous Posts/Scroll To End banner is inconsistent when trying to get it to appear and I just want to make sure I’m using the app correctly. What are the conditions for it to appear/disappear other than scrolling?

I was wondering if in the future an option to make that banner always show could be added.

E: iOS 13.4 for my phone if it makes a difference, but this has been a thing for a while

Woofer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2020

MaxwellSmart
May 31, 2005
CONTROL Agent Extraordinaire
Soiled Meat
When I select Forums on the bottom menu it doesn't list anything, it's just a blank section. I've tried doing a little troubleshooting like deleting/re-downloading the app, logging out and back in, and emptying the cache but nothing seems to help.

I've been able to work around this by bookmarking a sticky thread in any forum I regularly read and then clicking on Parent Forum at the top of the page, which shows all the treads like I'd expect, but am hoping there's a better fix for it. This is on a newly purchased iPad.

3rd Gen iPad Air
iOS: 13.5.1
Awful App: 4.3

If there's any other diagnostic info needed let me know and I'll grab it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do post previews not load for others sometimes? This is an issue I've had for ages but assumed it might have been the fault of having an old phone, but I'm still getting it with the new SE. Changing pages in the thread sometimes fixes this.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a weird bug but the titles of the threads disappears if I lock my phone with the thread up.

It obviously comes back but it’s gone till I go back to my bookmarks.

Do quotes only show up that way on the big cool phones? This is what I see

Or is it a theme?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Pretty sure that's theme. Try one of the OLED ones, I think?

juddli
May 9, 2004

MaxwellSmart posted:

When I select Forums on the bottom menu it doesn't list anything, it's just a blank section. I've tried doing a little troubleshooting like deleting/re-downloading the app, logging out and back in, and emptying the cache but nothing seems to help.

I've been able to work around this by bookmarking a sticky thread in any forum I regularly read and then clicking on Parent Forum at the top of the page, which shows all the treads like I'd expect, but am hoping there's a better fix for it. This is on a newly purchased iPad.

3rd Gen iPad Air

Ditto to all of this on:
iPhone 7 Plus

Was also true on iOS 13.5; not sure about prior iOS.

Happy to provide other diagnostic info as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It would be nice to have a disable signatures option for the app.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Warbird posted:

It would be nice to have a disable signatures option for the app.
Do you want them off on the app but on on your PC? There is a forums option to turn them off. I get it if you just would rather not have them on mobile.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don’t see sigs in the app. I have them turned off in the browser version. Maybe the app is aware of that setting?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you have them turned off in the browser, the server will not send the data for them to you at all. The app doesn't have to do anything more to not show them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s interesting, I’ll go change that setting on my desktop then. I recently was checking out a
CYOA thread and all the extra scrolling was getting to be a bit much.

Minkpan
Dec 2, 2003
To tell the truth, my brother doesn't really do much of anything

juddli posted:

Ditto to all of this...

Also ditto. Additionally, I keep getting errors from the login screen. I can only get in by attempting a login, erroring out, killing the app, then relaunching. Once I’m in though, I have the same blank Forum page described above.

iPhone 11 Pro

Minkpan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 9, 2020

juddli
May 9, 2004

Minkpan posted:

Also ditto. Additionally, I keep getting errors from the login screen. I can only get in by attempting a login, erroring out, killing the app, then relaunching. Once I’m in though, I have the same blank Forum page described above.

iPhone 11 Pro

Forgot to mention the login issue. It’s the same for me.

Minkpan
Dec 2, 2003
To tell the truth, my brother doesn't really do much of anything

juddli posted:

Forgot to mention the login issue. It’s the same for me.

I’ve dug around a little more, and found that the Forum Specific Themes page in settings is also blank, which seems to make sense. While I was looking though, a lone announcement did populate on my Forums page. It’s still blank otherwise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Don't know if this has been highlighted yet, but if not, I've noticed an issue with YouTube embeds lately on the iOS app in the last couple of versions. The embedding is super aggressive all of the sudden to the point where it's turning properly [url] tagged YouTube links into full on videos in line. It's a bit of an issue from a readability standpoint because people will often use the [ url=youtube video]text text text[/url ] tags as part of their posts, so the text that would be there otherwise is now replaced with an outright video embed. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that or if you're looking into it already, but I figure it's worth at least highlighting.

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Twitch embeds just show up as blank space for me in Awful

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879285&perpage=40&pagenumber=364

Tweet embedding is fucky at the moment, especially when it comes to stuff surrounded by :nws:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

101 posted:

The new Twitch embeds just show up as blank space for me in Awful

New embeds will never automatically work in Awful, and we'll have to figure out how to get them to work individually, so this may take a bit to get working.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Is it possible to get the URL from an embedded imgur video? I swear I used to be able to but can’t quite remember how. None of buttons on the player will do it and I’ve tried hard press and hold and that doesn’t bring up anything either.

iPhone 8

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

MaxwellSmart posted:

3rd Gen iPad Air

I’m also having the same issue and using the same work arounds.

iPhone 8 Plus

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

drowningidiot posted:

Is it possible to get the URL from an embedded imgur video? I swear I used to be able to but can’t quite remember how. None of buttons on the player will do it and I’ve tried hard press and hold and that doesn’t bring up anything either.

iPhone 8

It used just be a link so it was easy to copy, but nothing yet with the embeds. You can quote the post and manually copy the link for now.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

It used just be a link so it was easy to copy, but nothing yet with the embeds. You can quote the post and manually copy the link for now.

Thank you that’ll work

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The forums were updated so that following a leper’s colony link doesn’t effect your bookmarks, any idea if this is coming to the app? Tested it today and it’s still working the old way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The app is no longer displaying quotes appropriately? Like the actual “ “ marks. Any idea of what’s goi g on?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phone posted:

The app is no longer displaying quotes appropriately? Like the actual “ “ marks. Any idea of what’s goi g on?

It's been doing that for like a year now...

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you talking about the automatic conversion that iOS does from " and ' into those angled ones? It can be toggled somewhere in the iOS settings. General > keyboard > smart punctuation I think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Minor bug:
The emoji selector dohickey shows the honk emoji as the superior “Skeeter from Doug” original version rather than the current inferior “goose game goose” version.

:honk:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Throughout the past year or so I've periodically posted about an annoying problem of the thread jumping back up to the top on its own. After much testing I ultimately discovered that my ipad has a problem where it's registering phantom touches on the top edge of the screen in portrait. As I haven't been able to get it looked at by Apple due to the whole "pandemic" thing, I've been just turning the tablet upside down because it's the buttonless new-ish ipad pro.

Unfortunately, I now have phantom presses on THAT edge as well, same spot basically.

I know this is a stupid request and I don't know if it's even possible and it seems dumb for probably "just me" but is there any way a setting could be added to Awful to disable the "tap the top of the screen to jump to the top of the thread"? I can't think of a situation I've ever wanted to do that anyways in Awful. Pretty please, if it's even possible?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone else have issues with image embeds just being small squares and tweets only having the text show up without the proper embed now? On an iphone xs max with 13.5. This just started happening yeaterday, no updates and I have done a full reboot.

Eep ignore it is my vpn being a dickhead.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2020

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

shortspecialbus posted:

I know this is a stupid request and I don't know if it's even possible and it seems dumb for probably "just me" but is there any way a setting could be added to Awful to disable the "tap the top of the screen to jump to the top of the thread"? I can't think of a situation I've ever wanted to do that anyways in Awful. Pretty please, if it's even possible?

If it helps at all I’d +1 this request. I have accidentally done this enough times that I would immediately make use of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If this is really the end times I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that contributed here with a special shout out to pokeyman for being the MVP. If only this app could continue on wherever things shake out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm a page behind and will catch up soon but I'ma echo The Dave: y'all are great, it's been a pleasure helping make the most-used app on a few people's phones, and I hope this isn't the end!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's amazing how good an app that essentially works as a live webscraper works, it's so much better than the regular forum experience. Thanks to all involved.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I will post where the awful app posts. If the mods decide what spinoff forum we all land in, I hope awful app will work with it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Same, I haven't been able to contribute lately but you're all great to work with

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I hope this isn't the end but if it is I'll say I've loved drawing and redrawing that frog over the years. It's been a pleasure working with you strangers to build the ultimate app for these archaic forums.

Breadnroses.net has potential maybe as a post SA site? If the poo poo hits the fan maybe we can rebuild a new Awful app there. It'll be fun coming up with a new app name!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The dog icon was genuinely great

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Rinkles posted:

The dog icon was genuinely great

Still using the dog icon.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:ghost:ghost:ghost:gang:ghost:

All the app icons are excellent tho. And thanks to everyone who put in a ton of work to make the Awful app a great one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, truly the app makes awful great.