Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

smarxist posted:

as the crusty old communist tree house here in CSPAM, should we acknowledge there are hundreds more goons hanging out in here now and many of them potentially being radicalized in real time by the horror show that's going on and if so should we make some kinda "So you hate the police, now what?" class consciousness primer thingy?

edit:

the op in this thread is p. good, maybe i can remix it

Honestly Boots Riley's thread on why police brutality is a core component of capitalism is probably a good place to start

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1266851333438500865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1267313974607052801

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol the elected officials are being publicly subordinated to the security forces
https://twitter.com/SavannahGuthrie/status/1268137661283405824?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

GalacticAcid posted:

Bernie Panders

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LittleBlackCloud posted:

except lifestylists

i dont think anyone thought about them even before the coolzone

They dont matter and never mattered

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Top City Homo posted:

imagine bickering today in the coolzone

anarchists are comrades where it matters

https://twitter.com/Buddha6883/status/1267797478142771205

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bernie is beb

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BBJoey posted:

bernie is beb

Thats what you get for trying to reform a bad system.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Lenin:
Three sources and components of Marxism: https://www.marxists.org/archive/le...913/mar/x01.htm
Imperialism, the highest state of capitalism: https://www.marxists.org/archive/le...s/1916/imp-hsc/
State and Revolution: https://www.marxists.org/archive/le.../1917/staterev/
“Left-wing” Communism: An infantile disorder: https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1920/lwc/

Stalin: Historical and Dialectical Materialism*: https://www.marxists.org/reference/...rks/1938/09.htm
*This is just a chapter in his larger work: History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (Short Course): https://www.marxists.org/reference/...works/1939/x01/ Read this. It’s the official USSR book that ratified Marxism-Leninism as an “official” ideology, when it referred to as Leninism or simply Marxism before.

Turn this 1905 into 1917, or learn, and start the organization that will usher in 1917 at a later date. Stay safe out there!
Resources:
Lenin - State and The Revolution
David Galula - Counterinsurgency Warfare : Theory and Practice
Carlos Marighella - Minimanual of the Urban Guerrilla
Mao - On Guerrilla Warfare
Vo Nguyen Giap - The Military Art of People’s War
Guevara - Guerrilla Warfare
Office of the Surgeon General, Department of the Army, United States of America - Textbook of Military Medicine (This is a multi-volume series for those with a medical background).
All these books are available online for free. Libgen definitely has them.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Elman posted:

So I've been reading about the history of strikes, the Haymarket's Affair and so on. Can anyone recommend good books on protests and activist history? Basically, leftist theory is fun but I also wanna read more history about what's worked, what hasn't, and how progress has been made.

It doesn't have to be from an American perspective of course. I'm Spanish and it's been fun reading Homage to Catalonia and learning about CNT and La Canadenca strike.

Lenin, all in one. Seriously.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

smarxist posted:

yeah, I'm thinking about a sticky'd primer + Q&A

i think the manifesto is wonderful to this day, but you gotta be in a certain mindset to really absorb its message, and it's a bit romantic for TYOOL 2020

Fine and Saad-Filho's 'Marx's Capital' is absolutely the best onramp to Marx's critique. It is short, digestible and comprehensive.
https://www.plutobooks.com/9781783719730/marxs-capital-sixth-edition/

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

LittleBlackCloud posted:

except lifestylists

we don't like 'em either

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/housegop/status/1268603674822979585?s=21

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I want to ask this thread as my knowledge of unrest in America is not great. Are current events in the US right now suggestive of a leftward shift in their society? And is this event comparable to the May June events in '68? I'd be incredibly depressed if something like a resounding Trump victory happened.

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
trump is gonna win re-election

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Also I have almost finished reading Debt by Graeber. The OP mentions to read it critically, which I've tried to do. What are the main problems people have with the book (besides it being more of a layman book). And what are the issues with David Harvey's conception of value theory?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ToxicAcne posted:

I want to ask this thread as my knowledge of unrest in America is not great. Are current events in the US right now suggestive of a leftward shift in their society? And is this event comparable to the May June events in '68? I'd be incredibly depressed if something like a resounding Trump victory happened.

'68 was way worse but this is the worst since then. trump's too dumb and hated to get nixon's bounce imo. also i don't remember generals publicly breaking with LBJ over the state response to the protests

we'll see how the conventions go in order to fully flesh out this analogy

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
what should I read to learn about the russian revolution and politics thru stalin, as well as the equivalent history for china through mao

I am finding it hard to get histories and/or opinions that are not either A)stalin is turbo satan or B.)the sparrows had it coming, honestly, and

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
you are looking for Stephen Kotkin’s biography of Stalin.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

GalacticAcid posted:

you are looking for Stephen Kotkin’s biography of Stalin.

thank you, I will check it out

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ToxicAcne posted:

There are few parallels because even in its worst days the US has had real power and leadership somewhere in its structure until the last few decades.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Stalin: History and Criticism of a Black Legend by Domenico Losurdo is also really good

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

Scionix posted:

what should I read to learn about the russian revolution and politics thru stalin, as well as the equivalent history for china through mao

I am finding it hard to get histories and/or opinions that are not either A)stalin is turbo satan or B.)the sparrows had it coming, honestly, and

I didn't mind People's History of the Russian Revolution by Faulkner. My take from reading it is that the guy is totally a trot, but I would supplement the short chapter on Stalin with other material anyway so it's not too big of a deal. It did a nice job I think with a quick historical overview over the Russian Revolution which is basically what I wanted it for. If you're looking for a all-encompassing or more in-depth book I'd look elsewhere, but I personally like to start with historical context.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Faulkner as a good place to start.

I got started on Mao with Elliot Liu's Maoism and the Chinese Revolution: A Critical Introduction

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ToxicAcne posted:

anyone who thinks they have a good handle on what the current situation really means or where we’re heading is full of poo poo, imo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

anyone who thinks they have a good handle on what the current situation really means or where we’re heading is full of poo poo, imo

:yeah:

you can maybe forecast out the next few weeks, but anything beyond early July is completely up in the air

i have as much faith that we'll have elections in november as we won't, or that they'll be hilariously illegitimate, or that there will be at least one candidate switch, or two, or a new veep on the GOP ticket, etc etc etc etc etc

the conventions will be decent indicators but who even knows what they'll look like lmao

chaos rules

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ToxicAcne posted:

https://twitter.com/_grendan/status/1268643112055906306?s=21

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ToxicAcne posted:

also note it is expected to be depressed with a trump victory but a biden victory is equally as depressing or probably even more

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Danger posted:

also note it is expected to be depressed with a trump victory but a biden victory is equally as depressing or probably even more

a biden victory would obliterate the protests because the small amount of media that's talking about the protests so much would spin around on their heel and tell the protestors to go home as soon as Biden wins. gently caress look at OWS and poo poo when Obama was pres

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Peanut President posted:

a biden victory would obliterate the protests because the small amount of media that's talking about the protests so much would spin around on their heel and tell the protestors to go home as soon as Biden wins. gently caress look at OWS and poo poo when Obama was pres

The election is five months away, no protests on this scale have ever been sustained for that kind of duration. I would be absolutely shocked if there was still this flavor of street struggle by then.

And if there was, it would necessarily have hardened an immense cadre of committed demonstrators who I think would have demands besides getting a shuffling husk from the Democratic Right elected president.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

it was technically the Iraq War protests that largely evaporated after Obama won. OWS was instead painted as this aimless, directionless, leaderless movement that "didn't know what they really wanted" while Obama brutalized the gently caress out of them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish I was more optimistic. I honestly don’t expect much to come from this unrest unfortunately :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's cindy sheehan up to

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was technically the Iraq War protests that largely evaporated after Obama won. OWS was instead painted as this aimless, directionless, leaderless movement that "didn't know what they really wanted" while Obama brutalized the gently caress out of them

That's what I mean though, the protests will stop being reported as "righteous free speech against the cheeto dictator" and will become "stupid white anarchist hipsters bitching about free trade coffee or whatever"

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Peanut President posted:

unemployment was never at 20%+ when OWS was happening; a closer comparison would be the great depression where protests/riots continued under FDR even after he won, and I think everyone here agrees that biden is no FDR lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

unemployment was never at 20%+ when OWS was happening; a closer comparison would be the great depression where protests/riots continued under FDR even after he won, and I think everyone here agrees that biden is no FDR lmao

i just realized this was passed without truman's support and i'm kinda surprised he was the odd man out here. '45-'46 was brutal to governing parties everywhere tho

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yea he vetoing it was like the one good thing he tried to do and failed at that.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1268932728210194432

for posterity:

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

indigi posted:

I wish I was more optimistic. I honestly don’t expect much to come from this unrest unfortunately :(

As much as we all love to say nihilism is reactionary, it's really loving hard to be an American leftist and optimistic.

But also nihilism is reactionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lol I may be already leaving the PSL! Lots of good comrades that I've met but I was just warned not to start the community defense organization I've been working on. It's the party line to 'work on political action' and that we're not allowed to be armed for government repression reasons. Lmao. You don't cower before your loving oppressors.

Also the orgs incredibly white as far as i can tell,