Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress it, it works in IT as well. I'm sure every trade has examples of just pretending to do something for their clients rather than explaining how they are wrong.

sfc /scannow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jeoh posted:

sfc /scannow

has literally anyone ever actually fixed a problem with sfc /scannow because i don't believe it

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

has literally anyone ever actually fixed a problem with sfc /scannow because i don't believe it

I did recently run it on a non booting Windows 10 installation. It didn't fix it, but it did tell me which file was corrupted. Was able to replace it manually with a known good copy and get it to boot again. So in a way, I did fix a problem using it!

Alternatively, I tried it once on a XP machine where SP3 had been installed trying to fix the sound control panel. It reverted all files to pre-sp3 versions and completely hosed it up beyond repair.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure, sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

I mean, I don't really do too much desktop stuff these days and really haven't most of my career, but I have seen it help in some circumstances.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's just poo poo that takes a while to do, so you can focus on actually investigating the issue or say "should work now!! :)"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Iron Rose posted:

I revived a unicorn desktop PC by finding out which .dll had garbage in it (unintentional garbage, not just normal MS garbage, you get what I mean). It couldn't repair poo poo, but we had a donor PC I could copy the dll from.

That was me playing hero because otherwise the poo poo-tier vendor would've had to replace the thing and the instruments that PC was controlling were needed right now…

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

Even better is when you’re searching for info, end up on a slide deck, and have to go through a half-dozen slides which are just GIFs from The Office.

And even better than that is when you’re in a meeting and someone is presenting a slide deck like this.

Some tech lead clicks to a slide, reading “Should we keep maintaining the Fizzbin Widget?” before grinning wildly to the room and clicking to a slide of Steve Carell yelling “NOOOOOO” before awkwardly slapping the space bar after getting a couple polite chuckles.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Related: ever run into a esoteric problem, start googling for answers, find an article/post/whatever, think “holy poo poo this guy really gets it! This is perfect!”

...and then realize that you wrote it years ago?

I have.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

ConfusedUs posted:

Related: ever run into a esoteric problem, start googling for answers, find an article/post/whatever, think “holy poo poo this guy really gets it! This is perfect!”

...and then realize that you wrote it years ago?

I have.

I had one a few months ago where someone asked a question and then commented every once in a while for about a year asking again and then posted the answer himself.

Thankfully his solution worked for me too. I don't even remember what the issue was but it was some dumb error with SSMS.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Was planning on updating our load balancer tonight but a consultant hosed up a firmware update on our core router so it’s been down for like 4 hours. Oh well, not my project so I don’t have to worry about it unless it’s still down when I wake up tomorrow.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jeoh posted:

it's just poo poo that takes a while to do, so you can focus on actually investigating the issue or say "should work now!! :)"

A sysadmin I used to work with near the beginning of my career LOOOOOVED himself some Gentoo, and if a server was having issues, he would often call up a session to it in view of the client and run emerge to make it look like it was doing things and fixing problems. It's basically good for dumb people who think Hollywood movies are 100% correct in their portrayals of "the server".

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Antigravitas posted:

I think I'm going to spend the rest of this working day to rewrite this. The RSAT dependency can probably be dropped entirely and I hate reading the code.

Maybe I can even drop Powershell, that would be even better.

Antigravitas I finally had enough time to breathe to play with this, and your tool is gonna be crazy-useful for me. We're rebuilding our Active Directory, and I'm doing a permissions cleanup with nested job-role based permissions. Not only will it help me make sure my own poo poo makes sense, but I'm gonna see if this would help get the managers on board so they can better visualize when they need to decide what job roles need what kind of access to which shares and folders.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah, I booted to the recovery environment on my ex-MILs non-booting i3 best buy special and ran chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow. It took the better part of a day to do the 500GB 5400rpm spinner, but when it was done it was back to working again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Windows system files definitely used to get corrupted for no apparent loving reason a lot back in the day. Definitely worked many times on Windows XP, and a few on 7 (it wasn't nearly as much of a problem in 7). Don't think I've fixed 10 with it yet, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

klosterdev posted:

Antigravitas I finally had enough time to breathe to play with this, and your tool is gonna be crazy-useful for me. We're rebuilding our Active Directory, and I'm doing a permissions cleanup with nested job-role based permissions. Not only will it help me make sure my own poo poo makes sense, but I'm gonna see if this would help get the managers on board so they can better visualize when they need to decide what job roles need what kind of access to which shares and folders.

Well, it has been half finished on my backburner for long enough then, I guess…

I have dropped the RSAT requirement completely and have been turning it into a proper commandlet but tickets have priority :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Soaker Party! posted:

A sysadmin I used to work with near the beginning of my career LOOOOOVED himself some Gentoo, and if a server was having issues, he would often call up a session to it in view of the client and run emerge to make it look like it was doing things and fixing problems. It's basically good for dumb people who think Hollywood movies are 100% correct in their portrayals of "the server".

Back at the ad agency I was responsible for our Mac image. I had some good tweaks on it, double arrows at both ends of the scrollbar, site license for a PDF compressor app, and of course set the Terminal to green on black.

When I was doing troubleshooting deskside I'd always bring up a terminal window and run 'top -u' (on OS X that's top with live updates). So I'd be poking away at the system and asking questions while there's this constantly changing green on black text display. People thought I was in the loving Matrix. and, once in a while, top would show me a process pegging the CPU so it actually even helped. It lent that extra air of authority such when a transient error had passed I could close that window and say 'it'll be fine now' and they'd believe me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm done (as in, sick of) the script, but it's also done (mostly, as in finished). I just don't want it to be indexed by search engines when I copypaste it from our internal repos. Thoughts?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams just updated with popout chat windows.

The popout chat windows don't support right-click spellchecking.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well mea culpa on sfc /scannow drat

i've only ever used it as a placebo to quiet the odd user in my first year doing helpdesky things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

The popout chat windows don't support right-click spellchecking.

I also have to go to the main chat window to clear the taskbar notification, it won't clear from the popped out window.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss left for the day. Left me with an alert badge problem that doesn't work out in one of the units.

Waiting on our HR director to call me for an email archiving issue.

Then the housekeeping director's computer is fubared.

Other two guys are WFH and my floor guy is on lunch.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So i've had to go into the office for a few hours every week for the last 3 weeks just for random hardware failure replacement poo poo.

Today I had to go in and my boss is like DONT GO IN X AREA! and im like... why? "someone reported they're sick"

welp. I just changed on a computer for one of the guys who works in that particular area last week. At least we were both wearing masks the whole time but hello paranoia my old friend.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s worked a few times for me with Win7 when I was doing support for a hospital, but not a very high success rate

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

I understand there was a years-old uservoice thread on this with thousands of upvotes, but.......why? Why do people want this? I have enough windows to manage without spilling a shitload of separate chat windows all over my monitors. Having all the chats in one window, easily selectable, is much cleaner. Is this just so you can see when one particular chat is flashing in the taskbar? (But if you have 80 billion chat windows open and the names are shortened, how do you read which one is flashing?)

Not a slam, different people like to operate different ways, I'm just curious as to why you find this preferable.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

I understand there was a years-old uservoice thread on this with thousands of upvotes, but.......why? Why do people want this? I have enough windows to manage without spilling a shitload of separate chat windows all over my monitors. Having all the chats in one window, easily selectable, is much cleaner. Is this just so you can see when one particular chat is flashing in the taskbar? (But if you have 80 billion chat windows open and the names are shortened, how do you read which one is flashing?)

Not a slam, different people like to operate different ways, I'm just curious as to why you find this preferable.

I can see the value if you need to have visibility on multiple chats simultaneously. The pop-out chat windows also less UI chrome on them.

Is my Teams the only one that doesn't like contractions, like "I've" or "you'd"? Spellcheck always flags them, and makes me think I've typoed something really dumb.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Truly the most worthless diagnostic is the Windows Network Troubleshooting tool. All it seems to do is set the machine to DHCP. Or if it was set to DCHP, do nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their idiotification of the network control panel is unforgivable. All the old dialogs are still there thankfully but it's buried under more clicks.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I could see the use case for this when you're in a meeting and need to monitor a chat, since having back to the chat from a meeting in the main screen is terribly loving slow.

Otherwise that's what asynchronous communication is 4 and having it in one place just makes it nicer. Having to select multiple different windows from the taskbar just to get to the chat I want is not my ideal workflow but I could see it being useful in certain cases.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The fact that MS made the UI more inconsistent than any Linux DE on the planet has to be a practical joke. And they haven't fixed it in years!

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

xzzy posted:

Their idiotification of the network control panel is unforgivable. All the old dialogs are still there thankfully but it's buried under more clicks.

It's odd how they had made such things objectively worse.

Usually things start off poor and improve with each iteration. Sometimes gradual, sometimes a sudden change, occasionally a wrong direction, but ultimately towards the better.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It was done in the name of Metro

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Metro was a mistake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thomamelas posted:

Truly the most worthless diagnostic is the Windows Network Troubleshooting tool. All it seems to do is set the machine to DHCP. Or if it was set to DCHP, do nothing.

I actually had it fix something once. Once.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thomamelas posted:

Due to a variety of convergent bugs and bad config choices, this is super useful for us right now as it can do this reset without the user needing to be an admin.

I try not to think about how my company got here.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

What did it fix? I've only ever seen it break network configurations were someone manually set an IP address.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

Let’s talk about how many times a mouse slip clicks on the troubleshooting tool rather than network configuration (or whatever tf the other selectable option is called). I curse with irritation every. Single. Time that drat thing pops up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Everyone i've meet that has been vocal for teams to have multiple chats/channels in tabs or popup windows has been a trillian or pidgin user, i wonder what's the link 🤔

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Remember how in Windows 9x and I think maybe XP if you had enabled the network tray icon double-clicking on it would immediately get you to the equivalent of this dialog?

Where you're then just a click away from almost any information you could need and two clicks away from most settings that matter.

The Vista/7 and 8/10 redesigns have each added another couple of clicks to the process of getting here and I don't understand it.

Thomamelas posted:

What did it fix? I've only ever seen it break network configurations were someone manually set an IP address.
Sounds like it fixed the problem to me. The kinds of machines where running network troubleshooter is a sane choice should never have a hardcoded static IP (and really most servers shouldn't either, they should have DHCP reservations).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Giving servers DHCP addresses has always made me nervous. In practice it's probably fine 99% of the time but I really don't want to hit that 1% where I get paged in the middle of a weekend because the DHCP server took a poo poo and some server went offline because it decided to be a good citizen and stop using an IP it no longer has a lease for (and researching the behaviors of all the various devices/operating systems out there is not easy).

So everything gets a static address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Agrikk posted:

Let’s talk about how many times a mouse slip clicks on the troubleshooting tool rather than network configuration (or whatever tf the other selectable option is called). I curse with irritation every. Single. Time that drat thing pops up.

Printer Properties
Printer Preferences
Preferences Printer
Preferences Properties
Properties Preferences
Properties Printer