Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE DAMNIT

I'll pour one out for your waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Imhotep posted:

Are the Stein’s Gate games good? I got a free one w PS Plus for PS3 but then it broke, but there seems to be a lot of them. I assumed they were visual novels from the look of it, and I like the few I’ve played so that’s not a deal breaker.

There are two main ones: Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 (which is a mid-quel sort of). Both are good. The original is better (and necessary for 0 anyway).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

wishful thinking i think, we saw her die i’m pretty sure.

The whole point is that doesn’t matter now.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

The Dave posted:

It must matter to a degree, but we don't know to what degree until at least Part 2.

Otherwise, what stops all the dead people randomly being okay? Fighting Bizzaro Sephiroth with multiple teams: Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Tifa's Dad, Past Sephiroth, Zack, Aerith, Ifalna, Professor Gast (why not), Vincent, Yuffie, Cid, Red XIII, Seto, Cait Sith, Previous Cait Sith, Hip Hop de Chocobo DJ, Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Sapphire Weapon.

Which, I will admit, would be a fight and a half.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nothing stops it. Embrace chaos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

wishful thinking i think, we saw her die i’m pretty sure. and would be weird to do a big reveal of biggs being alive and then leave the jesse question outstanding

I think Jessie being alive is gonna be a big twist and also comedic moment in the next game. You're gonna meet up with Biggs and a second later Jessie is gonna be all ATTACK HUG! on Cloud and it's gonna be great

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Dave posted:

why doesn't it matter now the timeline split after she died?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's called a glomp, and it's not okay to do to someone

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gologle posted:

It's called a glomp, and it's not okay to do to someone

I like glomps, both receiving and giving. But I’m old now, so it would just be creepy to give them.

Yes. I know the point you were making.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

why doesn't it matter now the timeline split after she died?

The timeline split after Zack died too. They put themselves in a place where they can do almost anything to go with whatever narrative they want to. There can be multiple multiple realities shown now, they can interact with each other, or the past could have changed in one timeline and will catch up to the present.

Who knows, it's whatever rules they want to bake into the story now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok see this is why i asked if there is a good explainer to read for someone who doesnt know the original

i still think from a storytelling they are asking for trouble if they showed her dying and then bring her back and establish there are no rules and you theres no reason to buy into what they are showing you

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

AlternateNu posted:

Dude. I've been on the FromSoft train since the Demon's Souls demo, and I was making an offhand joke about the Fate franchise. Don't @ me on deep convoluted lore. :colbert:

Sorry didn't know your reference was to Fate, due to prior posts about how the AC tied-in lore was pulled from my rear end.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok see this is why i asked if there is a good explainer to read for someone who doesnt know the original

i still think from a storytelling they are asking for trouble if they showed her dying and then bring her back and establish there are no rules and you theres no reason to buy into what they are showing you

Yeah I really hope that's not the direction they're going in. Do some weird stuff with Zach, sure, but they absolutely shouldn't have tons of parallel universe crossover shenanigans where no one ever really dies.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Biggs, Wedge and Jesse should live, thrive, and kick more law enforcement in the stomach.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I've decided this is like the good version of the last jedi. instead of just thumbing its nose at the established universe and genre conventions it handled them all lovingly, but then the creator actually succeeded in breaking out from under the pressures of the source material/destiny and charted a new path, whereas last jedi rebelled against the lore in a spiteful but ultimately meaningless way as the story beats landed them right where the star wars trilogy convention dictated

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've decided this is like the good version of the last jedi. instead of just thumbing its nose at the established universe and genre conventions it handled them all lovingly, but then the creator actually succeeded in breaking out from under the pressures of the source material/destiny and charted a new path, whereas last jedi rebelled against the lore in a spiteful but ultimately meaningless way as the story beats landed them right where the star wars trilogy convention dictated

Like, I don't want this thread to be derailed by the umpteenth The Last Jedi litigation but drat if it isn't a terrible take (about the movie anyway, you're spot on with FFVIIR though)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

This is basically the wrongest view possible on TLJ. There was nothing spiteful about it, just a desire to try to do something new and like FFVIIR fans took it as an attack on them. Hopefully part 2 doesn't end up the wretched mess that ROTS was.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ROTS was awful but easily the most interesting of the trilogy in how rigidly it clung to banging out plot in a race against time to undo all the damage of the previous one. the most contemporary and corporate star wars for sure. square enix is way too idiosyncratic for that to happen. i suppose that would be the outcome if you took the worst reading of that nomura line about ff7 going forward still being ff7 as usual

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255757956466880512

linking for my own purposes since im going back through the last 100 pages

edit: yeah thats why ff7r was tlj done correctly, instead of badly, ignoring that your argument is just 'only chuds and whiny nerds had criticisms'
vvv

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 4, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

ROTS was awful but easily the most interesting of the trilogy in how rigidly it clung to banging out plot in a race against time to undo all the damage of the previous one. the most contemporary and corporate star wars for sure. square enix is way too idiosyncratic for that to happen. i suppose that would be the outcome if you took the worst reading of that nomura line about ff7 going forward still being ff7 as usual

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255757956466880512

linking for my own purposes since im going back through the last 100 pages

Nah.

TLJ was the only interesting part of the trilogy because it actively tried to push something new. Whiny fans took objection to that because they viewed it as being 'mean' to them. (Well, and also a lot of horrible chuds got angry it had Women and Minorities.) FF7R did the exact same thing and you even had people arguing pretty heavily that it was mean-spirited and attack on the fans. In fact people still do.

Pretty much any 'praise' of RotS is "it gave me lots of fanservice!!!" and that is all fans wanted. It's like Advent Children but less coherent.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much any 'praise' of RotS is "it gave me lots of fanservice!!!" and that is all fans wanted. It's like Advent Children but less coherent.

I wish it was less coherent than AC, then it might have been interesting. RotS couldn't wait to explain to you basically everything you wanted to know and many, many things we didn't.

TLJ's central message is: "Star Wars Matters." Like, that's literally the whole point of it: the legend and legacy are important because they inspire Star Wars fans to do good; to dream beyond our limits. There's no bigger love letter to fans in the series. It just subverts the most stale plot tropes because, you know, that's what you hired Rian Johnson for. That's what he do. It's also why Eps 7 and especially 9 have significantly less meaning beyond fan-service; JJ's gonna JJ.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have caught up on the thread and determined that them jamming ff versus 13 in at the end of kingdom hearts, which i have never played, is maybe the most interesting thing in it

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Super No Vacancy posted:

i have caught up on the thread and determined that them jamming ff versus 13 in at the end of kingdom hearts, which i have never played, is maybe the most interesting thing in it

Nomura's gonna Nomura

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Nah.

TLJ was the only interesting part of the trilogy

Yep

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Nah.

TLJ was the only interesting part of the trilogy because it actively tried to push something new. Whiny fans took objection to that because they viewed it as being 'mean' to them. (Well, and also a lot of horrible chuds got angry it had Women and Minorities.) FF7R did the exact same thing and you even had people arguing pretty heavily that it was mean-spirited and attack on the fans. In fact people still do.

I disagree. I think TLJ is the best Star Wars movie ever made BUT I think RotS is probably the most interesting film I've ever gotten to see in theaters. Ever single frame of it is so bafflingly poorly executed. The editting, how they just shoved in Leia AND Rose by just having her repeat whatever stock phrases they could hammer out of B Roll of Carrie Fisher, "Somehow....palpatine has returned.", the pacing the ease at which it just bounced from tone to tone to plotline to plotline. It's so bad it made me feel a new emotion. I came out of just amused and also absolutely finished with film as a medium. You can't beat that.

I carried that feeling for like a month, just occasionally remembering some new part of RotS to puzzle over. It stuck with me until I saw Knives Out at a cheap theater in town. That films just a treat.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 4, 2020

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
..And somehow Star Wars has also invaded the spoiler thread for FF7R

(Looks at Xemnas’s lightsaber fetish in all the KH games)
Nomura really is responsible for the evil in the world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well they're not called Small, Contained Regional Wars! :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Logical1234 posted:

Nomura is good and the light. I hope he gets to work through his issues with his baby being taken from him and quickly gutted to become a new absolutely mediocre game.

I fight for stella.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Logical1234 posted:

If there is evil in this world, truly it lies in the heart of Kingdom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We are talking about Final Fantasy 7, the game which literally has major characters named Biggs and Wedge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You just know Heidegger has Death Star plans somewhere

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

You just know Heidegger has Death Star plans somewhere

The Death Star plans are the Holy Materia. Prove me wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

If there is evil in this world, truly it lies in the heart of Kingdom.

No, I know without a doubt that Kingdom Hearts is light!

ImpAtom posted:

We are talking about Final Fantasy 7, the game which literally has major characters named Biggs and Wedge.

Wedge is little bit of a Porkins too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They won't do it, but turning Biggs into a full Han Solo party member that flies the airship with Cid would be boss. We know he can shoot! Sorta....

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I disagree. I think TLJ is the best Star Wars movie ever made BUT I think RotS is probably the most interesting film I've ever gotten to see in theaters. Ever single frame of it is so bafflingly poorly executed. The editting, how they just shoved in Leia AND Rose by just having her repeat whatever stock phrases they could hammer out of B Roll of Carrie Fisher, "Somehow....palpatine has returned.", the pacing the ease at which it just bounced from tone to tone to plotline to plotline. It's so bad it made me feel a new emotion. I came out of just amused and also absolutely finished with film as a medium. You can't beat that.

I carried that feeling for like a month, just occasionally remembering some new part of RotS to puzzle over. It stuck with me until I saw Knives Out at a cheap theater in town. That films just a treat.

Wow, that's almost my story. I didn't totally give up on film after the abysmal RotS, but the next movie I saw was Knives Out in a small theater and it brought me joy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Palmer was the head of the Space Program, if anything he would be the one with the plans to the Death Star.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I just beat the game.

Goddamn am I excited for the sequel- I’m glad Square didn’t go the easy route and do a straight HD remake. I can’t wait to see where the story goes now that “anything” is possible. Too bad we probably have to wait at least 3 years :(

Also that end credits song goddamn is it so good. I need to find it immediately.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

So what your saying is, Xemnas should totally cameo in this game as well. He and Hojo would make eldtich horror with lightsabers. Someone who finally appreciates his mad scientist tendices. gently caress Ansem the Wise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I just beat the game.

Goddamn am I excited for the sequel- I’m glad Square didn’t go the easy route and do a straight HD remake. I can’t wait to see where the story goes now that “anything” is possible. Too bad we probably have to wait at least 3 years :(

Also that end credits song goddamn is it so good. I need to find it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NvpCylyvY

And the Little V remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zKfTcpqb4

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Debate: Which Final Fantasy is basically Star Wars the most?

FFXII tries its level best but I think it's hard to top FFII on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Ace Transmuter posted:

Debate: Which Final Fantasy is basically Star Wars the most?

FFXII tries its level best but I think it's hard to top FFII on this one.

If we condense "Star Wars" to meaning the general arc of the original six films, I'd say IX.

You have Zidane who doesn't truly know about his past, but his past is significant. He has a "family" member who is doing bad things, but then starts doing really bad poo poo when he gets over emotional (for Anakin it was the thought of losing Padme, for Kuja it's the prospect of death). After the final confrontation with each other, the good family member (Luke/Zidane) is left to fight a greater threat (Palpatine/Necron) after which, the bad family member redeems themselves by saving the good family member.

EDIT: In a bid to not entirely drift away from FF7R, I feel one of the most awkwardly placed areas was the Train Graveyard, since even the in-game characters have a desperate need to get back to Sector 7. In the O.G. game I didn't overly care about it as an area, in remake it's... okay I guess but basically the embodiment of filling out some lengthy and boring paperwork to get to good content. So if you were in charge of development, would you stretch Train Graveyard out? Position visiting it at another point in the game (albeit before Sector 7 is crushed) or just skip it entirely to preserve the sense of escalating drama?

gredgie fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 4, 2020